• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I got the Mallet of Everlasting Flame from some merc last night. Haha, that thing is outrageous, especially with Kass wielding it. The thing looks like Sauron's staff, and I love how quickly everyone (and everything near you) goes on fire.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
picked this up, played about an hour and change (got the bow) seems cool, last AC i played was black flag and never finished.
Is it still as grindy as people were saying? how do the MTs try to alleviate grinding if so?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
picked this up, played about an hour and change (got the bow) seems cool, last AC i played was black flag and never finished.
Is it still as grindy as people were saying? how do the MTs try to alleviate grinding if so?
I'm over 50 hours in and still don't know what this grinding talk is about. I hop from island to land mass to island while uncovering the giant map, see what missions show up around me and just play the game. I'm also finding I have a surplus of skill points because many of the skills you can acquire are gated by game progress not by your level, or you can acquire 5 or 6 melee skills if you like, but you can only assign 4 at a time. I think later in the game that opens up more? If I had bought the XP booster it would have been a total waste of money.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finished the 3rd and last DLC episode.

Of course i have no idea what happened in the end and who is that
Otso Berg
guy.Madness

Anyway the actual DLC was really good and i enjoyed the story in some of the side quests too.

There is still a Lost Tale of Greece side quest to come but if this is was the last content then i can say it's been one hell of a ride.I have been playing this game since last October and it's definetely one my favorites in the recent years.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any rumblings on the next AC title? I imagine it will be aligned with next gen console release - but in terms of setting (or anything at all)? After the improvements made with Origins and Odyssey I'm pretty excited to see where they take this next.

I feel like with some more TLC and maybe some added restraint this series could take another couple steps and arrive into 90+ meta score territory. It has the right foundation.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The way they've streamlined some things in the game is amazing, like the way the default quest system avoids the map looking like a pin-cushion as in previous AC's. Also the way you can complete quests you didn't accept then still get the credit for them.

One thing that's annoying though is getting into your ship. For instance I just went to some dude for one of those Lost Tales I think they were called, the wannabe general making a mess of protecting the town, and he's hundreds of meters away from a fast travel spot, then he says to go destroy some pirate ships, and the nearest ship calling spot is hundreds of meters away from him and from any fast travel spot. Or when at a dock and you call the ship, you then have to climb onto it. I know it's not much hassle, but since you're going to take ship command 95% of the time you press the button to call the ship, just put Kass right there.

The ability to fast travel to a ship dock and appear in the command spot on the ship would be so much more convenient.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
PsnpGKN.jpg

Level 86 and finally living the dream on my Assassin build.

Level 86? I thought the cap was 70.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I think I slowly start burning out on this game. I played the game for 75 hours and I am level 55, completed 2 main story lines and started the first dlc a few days ago. I really like the Persian guys and some cutscenes in the DLC are bonkers like with the madman in the swamp. I think I take a week break before I continue. There is still so much stuff to do that it is a little bit daunting.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I think I slowly start burning out on this game. I played the game for 75 hours and I am level 55, completed 2 main story lines and started the first dlc a few days ago. I really like the Persian guys and some cutscenes in the DLC are bonkers like with the madman in the swamp. I think I take a week break before I continue. There is still so much stuff to do that it is a little bit daunting.

Damn. 75 hours in and I'm only at level 40 and I've done really little dicking around. I also have a long way to go in the story (doing the Minotaur quests right now).

One thing I've noticed is that while Origins and Odyssey have improved many gameplay elements, there's now very little variety in missions design. They used to introduce new mechanics and have crazy set pieces, but now you almost always do the same few things in every missions (kill someone, free someone, retrieve an item). The mechanics in story missions are also indistinguishable from the generic open world gameplay.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
so regarding the present day story, which I do like, and want more of, though the writing is pretty bad... I'll add this in spoiler tags since it's from the fate of atlantis DLC but:

When did the assassin's start to get quezy about killing? and killing templars at that? Like, what's Layla supposed to do when they're storming at her? And why NOT kill Otso Berg, he's a right bastard through the other present day storylines as well?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Do we have any rumblings on the next AC title? I imagine it will be aligned with next gen console release - but in terms of setting (or anything at all)? After the improvements made with Origins and Odyssey I'm pretty excited to see where they take this next.

I feel like with some more TLC and maybe some added restraint this series could take another couple steps and arrive into 90+ meta score territory. It has the right foundation.
Yep, we know it's a Viking game, codenamed Kingdom (and sometimes referred to as Ragnarok), aiming for a 2020 release, but that's about it. Presumably it's cross-gen but that's only a guess.

Kotaku learned from two independent sources familiar with the game that 2020's Assassin's Creed, code-named Kingdom, does indeed star Vikings. We don't know much else about the game, but after the phenomenal Assassin's Creed Odyssey, we're stoked to see what's coming.

Chances are we'll get a huge look at the game at next year's E3, a big Kotaku leak a month or two before then, and I wouldn't be surprised if Odyssey gets some Viking-themed cosmetic packs to capitalize on the hype. I know I'd buy them for Kass =/

Hopefully we see some big improvements with animation in the next AC game. The animation wizards working on For Honor seemed to have set a new industry benchmark. The same tech is being used in the Last of Us 2. And Watch Dogs 3 also seems to have some incredible animation tech. It's definitely the weakest part of the AC games visually these days imo, with the way people move around, especially in combat with their weapons drawn NPCs seem to sort of... glide around, then unleash canned animations with glowing weapon swings.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, we know it's a Viking game, codenamed Kingdom (and sometimes referred to as Ragnarok), aiming for a 2020 release, but that's about it. Presumably it's cross-gen but that's only a guess.

Chances are we'll get a huge look at the game at next year's E3, a big Kotaku leak a month or two before then, and I wouldn't be surprised if Odyssey gets some Viking-themed cosmetic packs to capitalize on the hype. I know I'd buy them for Kass =/

Hopefully we see some big improvements with animation in the next AC game. The animation wizards working on For Honor seemed to have set a new industry benchmark. The same tech is being used in the Last of Us 2. And Watch Dogs 3 also seems to have some incredible animation tech. It's definitely the weakest part of the AC games visually these days imo, with the way people move around, especially in combat with their weapons drawn NPCs seem to sort of... glide around, then unleash canned animations with glowing weapon swings.

Cool - appreciate the response

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Finished Atlantis DLC part three and don't know what to think of it. The place was amazingly beautiful, a stark contrast with part 2. And some quests were nice I guess? But overall the story was a bit weak, and... the present-life story felt meh.
I really loved Layla in Origins, and I'm pissed they ruined her character now, she's not likeable, killed her doctor and that was brushed aside, and she's getting corrupted by the staff. I don't know, we finally get a woman present-day main character and they're shitting all over her narratively, while she was badass and amazing in Origins. Cool I guess.

Anyway, I just gotta hope that the Viking game is being done by the same studio who handled Origins, because I overall preferred Gold Edition Origins to Gold Edition Odyssey. And god knows I fucking love Kassandra to death.

With that being done, I can now start on the Ezio Collection, since I've never done them. And finish AC3 Remastered as well.

Last edited:

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I purchased the game a couple days ago and already have 10 hours into it. I have just started the second island (working for the Spartans). There is so much to do and I am having a great time. The first naval battle confused me and I had to go to YouTube to see what the hell was going on. The water, waves, and wind is quite beautiful (and I saw a whale breach!).

While I have playing most of the Far Cry games and both Divisions, I have not played an Assassin's Creed game in years (I think that one had Leonard da Vinci in it). So far, everything really impresses me.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I purchased the game a couple days ago and already have 10 hours into it. I have just started the second island (working for the Spartans). There is so much to do and I am having a great time. The first naval battle confused me and I had to go to YouTube to see what the hell was going on. The water, waves, and wind is quite beautiful (and I saw a whale breach!).

While I have playing most of the Far Cry games and both Divisions, I have not played an Assassin's Creed game in years (I think that one had Leonard da Vinci in it). So far, everything really impresses me.
Ah, that explains your wondering about the naval battles. They were very prominent in Black Flag and Rogue, and iirc briefly in Origins. The water is indeed incredible. You'll want to upgrade your ship asap, and for me the primary resource I'm often short on is wood. So grab it when you see it on land, and buy it from blacksmiths. Also hold off on upgrading too much too soon, it gets cheaper at mercenary level 4. You can also recruit people for your boat, so look out for legendary level mercs and defeat them without a killing blow to recruit.

To anyone, what's up with the romances? I'm playing as Kass, and so far she's been very... active, with the females offering themselves. No male romance options so far though.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Atlantis DLC part three and don't know what to think of it. The place was amazingly beautiful, a stark contrast with part 2. And some quests were nice I guess? But overall the story was a bit weak, and... the present-life story felt meh.
I really loved Layla in Origins, and I'm pissed they ruined her character now, she's not likeable, killed her doctor and that was brushed aside, and she's getting corrupted by the staff. I don't know, we finally get a woman present-day main character and they're shitting all over her narratively, while she was badass and amazing in Origins. Cool I guess.

Anyway, I just gotta hope that the Viking game is being done by the same studio who handled Origins, because I overall preferred Gold Edition Origins to Gold Edition Odyssey. And god knows I fucking love Kassandra to death.

With that being done, I can now start on the Ezio Collection, since I've never done them. And finish AC3 Remastered as well.

Agree with you regarding your spoiler. Not liking that direction.

Though I think Odyssey+DLC is far superiour to Origins+DLC. Both in story and gameplay, by the end of Origins main story, I just wanted to rush through it, and just rushed through all the DLC's when they were all out, and didn't really look back. Odyssey's been great for me, spent so much more time with it than with Origins.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Just got the game any ways left to level up quickly still alive?
Maybe you're looking for an exploit, anyway as a point of reference I'm level 52 after 58 hours. The whole world is available, big chunks of it I haven't explored yet. Grab most of the missions from each notice board you find, especially the "bounty on a politician" or "bounty on a merc" or "sink X of this ship", you'll get them all eventually without noticing. Some just involve speaking to a character, giving a tiny amount of coin, and getting your XP. When I visit a new area I get immersed in what's around, e.g. a few minutes ago I randomly found one of those animal boss battles so I did that. I almost never look at my quest list. Do the daily mission for the blue currency thing, and check the shop weekly for its inventory. Currently the Hades ship is in there to buy (with the blue currency).

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Got my platinum

Really enjoyed the game. I think it's both better than Origins but also a bit sloppier than Origins, if that makes sense. This has a higher level of difficulty on the design side via two protags and dialogue options though - so it gets a pass.

I wish they would scale back on scope and really continue to perfect all their gameplay systems. I think this series would benefit from at least considering a less is more approach in some ways, and having side quests and tangential content connect more seamlessly with the world. There's also some horrible VO work for some of the throwaway content - the game doesn't need that stuff. Cut out the fat imho.

Think I'm gonna try the DLC as well

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, some of the VO is truely awful. Usually, it's just NPCs you talk to for a minute or two, but some bigger characters have really bad voice acting as well. That lady bandit chief on Mykonos, with which you do a few missions, is absolutely terrible.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some of the VO is truely awful. Usually, it's just NPCs you talk to for a minute or two, but some bigger characters have really bad voice acting as well. That lady bandit chief on Mykonos, with which you do a few missions, is absolutely terrible.

Just seems like if they squeezed somewhat on scale/size and put some of those resources into fine tuning their content we'd have a better series on our hands

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Despite saying that I take a break I played the legacy of the first blade dlc and right now I am in the middle of episode 2. It feels like a fresh breath of air. I really like the story because I have the feeling that stuff is constantly happening and the plot is moving forward. Unlike the main game and I am looking at you Spartan Kings, you don't get overburdened with tasks which have little meaning to the plot. In the dlc almost every quest brings you further down the road of finding cultists and I really like that.

WeteHa

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Now that (almost) all of the DLC was released, I decided to to go back to the game and finally do all the dlc missions.

I played through most of the first episode and killed all of the Order of the Ancients, but the story-related ones did not get marked off on the cultists menu.
I even have the items you get from killing them, but they're still "alive" according to the cultists menu with "location currently unknown" written next the rewards.

Anybody experienced that before? any fix?

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
God i'm so fucking lost when it comes to the story. Playing the atlantis DLC now and i have no clue who these present people are and why i should care. I really liked the legacy of the first blade DLCs but i'm thinking of giving up on the atlantis DLCs altogether.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Being fashionably late, I just now finished the first DLC set, Legacy if the first blade , and while I generally liked it I dont know why Ubi thought i would suddenly care about
MY BABY
that got introduced out of nowhere despite my best protests .
Sorry Elpiwhatever, I did not care about Seven Bundy or Poochie the cool dog, im not gonna suddenly care about you . The most ridiculous point came in the last cut scene, where
you tearfully tell your bundle of ploygons he is the most beautiful thing you ever saw before sending it away, only for the camera to cut to a close up on the most hideous poorly made character model in the entire game, that of your baby . That transition made me laugh and it shouldnt have .

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Finished everything with the Platinum and the DLCs (except for 1 mission that is still not out yet and my trophy OCD is kicking in).
Some of my impressions:
-Holy hell this game is long.
-I still miss the old formula pre-Origins but after Odyssey I'm getting used to the open world ARPG, just need it to be a bit more like Hitman when we return to being normal Assassin (when ever that happens :/)
-RPG dialogue made the side missions much better over Origins but the Main Story felt less focused especially in the 3rd act.
-Also what is up with the game (and DLCs) not having a sort of "ending". Like I get that we keep playing, but now after everything + DLC, it feels like the game has no conclusion (maybe thats what that final side mission will do).
-Or maybe its weird not seeing a 15min credits scene.
-Combat had its moments thanks to the upgrades and the plethora of loot.
-Side activities were repetitive as all hell, specially when going for 100%. Thankfully I learned my lesson with Origins and as long as you do all the side missions first, you will have less side activities clutter on the map.
-Kassandra is queen and it is the best AC protag right behind Ezio and Edward; should have been the solo protagonist of this game if I'm being honest.
-Romances were very Persona like (aka I f**ked everyone), I was patiently waiting for a P5's Valentine's Day situation to arrive XD
-Fate of Atlantis is by far the best AC DLC so far. Top 3 would be this, Jack the Ripper and Curse of the Pharaohs.
-Legacy of the First Blade...
source.gif

-Lastly, the modern plot continues to get worse. I used be a huge fan of the modern side plot up until Unity started the whole meta Abstergo AC Streaming Service (oh the cruel irony). Layla started alright with Origins and her being a descendant of Aya but now, both her and the plot has gotten so freaking ridiculous because of that stupid staff.
-Anyways, after 12 years of AC, I'm slowly beginning to feel the fatigue (I didn't feel it before because the games were usually pretty short compared to now) but I'm looking forward to cross gen (or next gen?) AC next year or 2021.

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
Christ the last episode of the DLC is annoying. It's got all the problems of the first episode - irritating verticality making it a nuisance to even get around, plus those incredibly tough Isu warriors whose main ability seems to be freezing your ability bar so you can't actually use any of the abilities that make the combat system interesting - plus a whole load of modern storyline guff that's not interesting in the slightest. I've really enjoyed my time with the game but I'm really just playing this now so I can say it's all over.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm probably not even going to buy the DLC at this point. Was waiting for it to all come out but it doesn't even sound particularly good.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably not even going to buy the DLC at this point. Was waiting for it to all come out but it doesn't even sound particularly good.
The DLC fits neatly into the "there's fun to be had, but it's not actually a particularly good game" category. The second set of DLC anyway (Atlantis). The first DLC set I wouldn't recommend to anybody because of how much it hangs its hat on, and ultimately completely fails at, narrative.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I picked up a mission from the board earlier, a weekly Orichalcum one to take down some ship that was in the SW of the map. I looked again a few hours later and the mission had gone from my list, and isn't available to be picked up. What's going on there?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the VA's felt that occasionally it had the "Skyrim-problem" of having the same VA for many different characters. Could definitely recognize some of the voices throughout the game.

WeteHa

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I picked up a mission from the board earlier, a weekly Orichalcum one to take down some ship that was in the SW of the map. I looked again a few hours later and the mission had gone from my list, and isn't available to be picked up. What's going on there?

If I remember correctly: some missions have timers on them. Some timers start when you pick them up (e.g. 24 hours), others are weekly missions i think and the timer starts as soon as they are available