• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character are you playing as??

• Kassandra

Votes: 1,964 77.7%
  • Alexios

Votes: 565 22.3%

• Total voters

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I almost have the platinum trophy. The last one for this entire game is the "touch every island" one. I don't know if I want to track that....

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
ba4084e53e350d853d21a468deb9cc03.png

Omg finally Atlantis is for sale

Downloading now, will hopefully have time to try it out next week

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed that the platinum for this game on PS4 has a 4.5% complete rate. That is insanely high for a plat. I know it's not the most difficult platinum to get, but it is very time consuming. I'd be surprised if someone could get it in less than 35-45 hours if they were rushing it. Most will take far longer to achieve it.

The fact that such a high percentage of people played this game for that long says good things for Ubisoft and there post release support and the popularity of AC going forward.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't take this anymore...

I am doing tasks for Spartan Kings... I am 33 or 34 level. Not a single second of the story had any grip. Every fucking choice is fake or irrelevant, Kassandra is even more boring than Bayak. The story goes nowhere: it is just a huge road-trip across Greece with every single character being the same: do X tasks for the pass to the next location.

Camps, strongholds, animals, mercenaries, ships - the same content on repeat. I killed the a couple animal bosses, but I am still too low level for the mythical creatures. If it wasn't for battle to level up without doing super-grind, I would have already quit.

The entire game is just a collection of fetch/kill quests, beautiful landscapes and boring talking heads (cannot call them characters because they have 0% of that)

High production value + mediocrity + grind

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I am doing tasks for Spartan Kings... I am 33 or 34 level. Not a single second of the story had any grip. Every fucking choice is fake or irrelevant, Kassandra is even more boring than Bayak. The story goes nowhere: it is just a huge road-trip across Greece with every single character being the same: do X tasks for the pass to the next location.

Camps, strongholds, animals, mercenaries, ships - the same content on repeat. I killed the a couple animal bosses, but I am still too low level for the mythical creatures. If it wasn't for battle to level up without doing super-grind, I would have already quit.

The entire game is just a collection of fetch/kill quests, beautiful landscapes and boring talking heads (cannot call them characters because they have 0% of that)

Story choices do matter. There are 3 main story lines, and one of them has 9 different endings mostly based on which family members are alive at the end. There are side stories which span multiple quests too.

Going to new locations to do new quests is not "grinding". That's playing the game. Go explore a new island and you'll get a ton of XP. The original level cap is 50 and there's an enormous amount of additional optional XP in the world, enormous. Grinding refers to replaying the exact same encounter in the exact same location over and over, like playing the same raid boss 20 times, or sprinting through the same dungeon 20 times, etc.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
How was the season pass content in the end? I haven't picked up this game in 9 months or so.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Man I'll never get tired of disagreeing with people's opinions that look like this. You accuse the game of being the same thing over and over and then precede that by listing 5 different things you can do in the game. While ignoring the large scale battles, underwater locations, tomb exploration, 3 separate combat styles, like 7 different weapons to choose from with different finishers and combos, a gigantic skill tree, mastery skills for late game. Oh and climbing to view points, the amazing voice work, varied landscapes and beautiful graphics. Well over 100 hours of content before you even get to the 3 completely different visual areas in the DLC pack (we won't mention First Blade) with new enemies, new bosses, new mechanics and new skill trees that add another 30 hours of content.

I mean what exactly do you require in your game for it to be considered "not a grind" or "not mediocre".

Serious question.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
How was the season pass content in the end? I haven't picked up this game in 9 months or so.
Seems worth it for sure. I'm on Legacy of the Blade currently, which adds interesting new story and takes place mostly in Makedonia and Achaia. Makedonia needs at least 1 more viewpoint imo, in the N to NW part. I've seen nothing but praise for the second expansion, with the Isu and Atlantis. There is new gear too, new emblems, etc. Plus you'll get the AC3 remaster.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'll never get tired of disagreeing with people's opinions that look like this. You accuse the game of being the same thing over and over and then precede that by listing 5 different things you can do in the game. While ignoring the large scale battles, underwater locations, tomb exploration, 3 separate combat styles, like 7 different weapons to choose from with different finishers and combos, a gigantic skill tree, mastery skills for late game. Oh and climbing to view points, the amazing voice work, varied landscapes and beautiful graphics. Well over 100 hours of content before you even get to the 3 completely different visual areas in the DLC pack (we won't mention First Blade) with new enemies, new bosses, new mechanics and new skill trees that add another 30 hours of content.

I mean what exactly do you require in your game for it to be considered "not a grind" or "not mediocre".

Serious question.

One or more qualities about the game that is good enough to make every negative irrelevant.
Sense of progress (not bars or tick boxes) where I feel like I am playing the game differently, or the game is evolving.

The ship upgrades are just linear get more stats. The skilltree is highly whatever, it actively ruins the game with mid-combat assassination option and other overpowered abilities. The combat becomes more of the charging the special moves to instant-win as opposed to a careful fights and combos.

My problem is that it is the same game 30 hours into the game. I am doing the same exploration, quests, fighting same enemies using the same techniques. Even the mercenaries aren't getting more complex, they just have +stats and I have +stats. You say it has large scale battles, but in reality, it has one large scale battle that you replay multiple times.

On the bright side, 30 hours is a lot, and there is no way that you are still playing this game as some kind of MMO or Multiplayer, where you tune in every day to do something. How many hours have you got? How long until the main story wraps up? (do I really need to kill all cultists)?

Origins was a better paced game. I finished that game in like 30 hours, yet it had better boss battles. Targets were more interesting, the uncovering was both in the game (not unmasking them in the menu), they had their own goals instead of standing around the temple or sitting in the cave. Crocodile, Scarab, Hyenna over the Cult of Cosmos anyday. Even the dialogue with the feather was good compared to dispatching them in Odyssey. Bayak's wife is better than Odyssey's side characters.

Hades is a good example of the game which has no real story, and the levels are quite repetitive. Yet, I feel like I am exploring new combos and tactics every time, and I am also evolving in mastery, because that is kind of the only way to move forward.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the bright side, 30 hours is a lot, and there is no way that you are still playing this game as some kind of MMO or Multiplayer, where you tune in every day to do something. How many hours have you got? How long until the main story wraps up? (do I really need to kill all cultists)?

I am still playing this game, almost weekly. Many people in this thread were playing this game frequently right up until the final DLC was finished a month back. They've constantly added new quests and bounties as well as slowly released two entire DLC packs. I have about 147 hours or so in the game at this point. I think you could beat the main story in as little as 35-40 hours if you tries, realistically it would take 60 or so if you do all three branches.

And you need to kill all the cultists to see the ending of the Cult story line yes.

Are you playing the game on Easy? I never found most of the abilities "one shot" abilities unless it was on some random soldier. Most of the named enemies required some strategy to defeat. And none of my skills could one shot (other than the random critical assassination if I was lucky and it wasn't too high ranking of an enemy) them. If you're playing on easy that is fine, I just never felt the combat was as one tone as you make it out to be.

I mean this game received wide praise, sold very well and is considered by many to be one of the best open world games ever made. So maybe the game just isn't for you.

Oct 27, 2017
I am still playing this game, almost weekly. Many people in this thread were playing this game frequently right up until the final DLC was finished a month back. They've constantly added new quests and bounties as well as slowly released two entire DLC packs. I have about 147 hours or so in the game at this point. I think you could beat the main story in as little as 35-40 hours if you tries, realistically it would take 60 or so if you do all three branches.

And you need to kill all the cultists to see the ending of the Cult story line yes.

Are you playing the game on Easy? I never found most of the abilities "one shot" abilities unless it was on some random soldier. Most of the named enemies required some strategy to defeat. And none of my skills could one shot (other than the random critical assassination if I was lucky and it wasn't too high ranking of an enemy) them. If you're playing on easy that is fine, I just never felt the combat was as one tone as you make it out to be.

I mean this game received wide praise, sold very well and is considered by many to be one of the best open world games ever made. So maybe the game just isn't for you.

No, I am playing on Hard.

One-shot is not scientific, it is more like charging the 2-3 abilities to kill someone from full health. However, the assassination + mid-combat assassination ability takes care of most enemies. Obviously if they are higher level, or a mythical animal, then it is a different story. The abilities are on a different damage scale than regular attacks, especially when they are auto jump to the target + immunity from damage during animations + knocking the target down at the end.

So how long until I beat the Kassandra family quest line? I am doing tasks for the Spartan Kings.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
No, I am playing on Hard.

One-shot is not scientific, it is more like charging the 2-3 abilities to kill someone from full health. However, the assassination + mid-combat assassination ability takes care of most enemies. Obviously if they are higher level, or a mythical animal, then it is a different story. The abilities are on a different damage scale than regular attacks, especially when they are auto jump to the target + immunity from damage during animations + knocking the target down at the end.

So how long until I beat the Kassandra family quest line? I am doing tasks for the Spartan Kings.

The tasks for the kings are really long and take about 5 hours or more. After that you are almost finished with the story line and you have maybe another 2 hours to play.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
One or more qualities about the game that is good enough to make every negative irrelevant.
Sense of progress (not bars or tick boxes) where I feel like I am playing the game differently, or the game is evolving.

The ship upgrades are just linear get more stats. The skilltree is highly whatever, it actively ruins the game with mid-combat assassination option and other overpowered abilities. The combat becomes more of the charging the special moves to instant-win as opposed to a careful fights and combos.

My problem is that it is the same game 30 hours into the game. I am doing the same exploration, quests, fighting same enemies using the same techniques. Even the mercenaries aren't getting more complex, they just have +stats and I have +stats. You say it has large scale battles, but in reality, it has one large scale battle that you replay multiple times.

Origins was a better paced game. I finished that game in like 30 hours, yet it had better boss battles. Targets were more interesting, the uncovering was both in the game (not unmasking them in the menu), they had their own goals instead of standing around the temple or sitting in the cave. Crocodile, Scarab, Hyenna over the Cult of Cosmos anyday. Even the dialogue with the feather was good compared to dispatching them in Odyssey. Bayak's wife is better than Odyssey's side characters.

Hades is a good example of the game which has no real story, and the levels are quite repetitive. Yet, I feel like I am exploring new combos and tactics every time, and I am also evolving in mastery, because that is kind of the only way to move forward.
It seems like you want to rush though Odyssey because you're not a fan of the core gameplay loop, but it sounds like you rushed through Origins too, and maybe these games just aren't for you? There are plenty of popular games that are basically repeating their core loop over and over, and that's OK. I know people who love Diablo, while I appreciate its quality and at the same time feel it puts me to sleep. All open world games can't have the GTAV budget to have both a large world and a large variety of game verbs to interact with it, yet there's still a decent number of them here: amazing ship combat, ship boarding, tombs, exploring, multiple boss encounters, and the emergent gameplay when you go to a fort. Do you want to sneak in and grab what you need and sneak or sprint out? Do you want to stealth kill as many as possible before fighting the elites? Do you want to set a trap on the fire beacon? Do you want to walk in the front entrance and take on everyone like that? How do you want to deal with the Leader and his pack, if they are present? I like the rain of fire ranged ability there, but they're usually smart enough to seek cover or find me. What about if a Merc or two or three show up? These are all interesting gameplay choices, as is which of the three main skill trees you invest your gear points in.

You're also complaining about the powerful abilities but they're designed to be exactly that, so that you do cool looking power moves regularly rather than slashing at a sponge for ages. If you find what you're doing is too repetitive, switch your weapon type, use different abilities.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The DLCs and/or season pass are at least discounted on PSN.

Is the season pass worth it? Or should I skip Legacy of the First Blade entirely and just buy Atlantis?
Season pass is $26.74 CAD, individual DLCs alone are $16.74 each. Wondering if I should get both for the first price, or just Fate of Atlantis for the second price.

I didn't hear such great things about the First Blade but other than the forced romance, is it that bad?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Is the season pass worth it? Or should I skip Legacy of the First Blade entirely and just buy Atlantis?
Season pass is $26.74 CAD, individual DLCs alone are $16.74 each. Wondering if I should get both for the first price, or just Fate of Atlantis for the second price.

I didn't hear such great things about the First Blade but other than the forced romance, is it that bad?
It's worth the extra $8 if you've liked the base game and want more quests and story there. It's the same gameplay in the same locations as the base game, though it does add an interesting story, plus new weapons and gear. You'll also get the AC3 remaster with the season pass.

That free giveaway won't help you much. Each expansion has three episodes, and that freebie is the first of three Atlantis episodes.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
It's worth the extra $8 if you've liked the base game and want more quests and story there. It's the same gameplay in the same locations as the base game, though it does add an interesting story, plus new weapons and gear. You'll also get the AC3 remaster with the season pass.

That free giveaway won't help you much. Each expansion has three episodes, and that freebie is the first of three Atlantis episodes.
Thanks for the info. I don't care about AC3 at all, but I suppose First Blade can't be worse than the Hidden Ones DLC and I did play through that hah.

And yeah I just checked again, they finally listed that Episode 1 on PSN (you have to click on the actual game page though, it's not showing up when you search, lol), but Episodes 2 and 3 are still "unavailable" so if you can't even purchase them... um, that's essentially a demo at this point lol.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Are there not many cool horse skins? I just realized I did 100% of the base game and the only nice ones I got were some unicorn leaving a trail, random in a blacksmith iirc, and some charred death looking one which isn't great because like in Origins the riders hands are in mid-air not holding any reins. Meanwhile there are tons of ship skins and crew skins.

May 9, 2018
Are there not many cool horse skins? I just realized I did 100% of the base game and the only nice ones I got were some unicorn leaving a trail, random in a blacksmith iirc, and some charred death looking one which isn't great because like in Origins the riders hands are in mid-air not holding any reins. Meanwhile there are tons of ship skins and crew skins.
You get a few guaranteed ones in the Atlantis DLC.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Getting the first episode of Atlantis for free sounds tempting, but I am just not interested at all in the setting. Leans a bit too much into the mythical side of things for me.

I would have loved the first DLC, the Persian one, but the storyline is a huge turn-off. Ugh.

Many of the elaborate ones are DLC, though I am not a fan of most. Too busy or outlandish. I mostly just use the default black skin. The premium Spartan one also looks cool, just not "€7,50 cool".

At least you can get them for free through the orichalcum shop as well, though so far I only got the Pegasus and Hades skins, neither of which I like that much.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean if the money isn't a big deal get the whole season pass. That said Hidden Blade is one of the most boring and frankly unsatisfying DLC I have ever played. It does nothing unique, has boring quests, forces you into a relationship that you may or may not want to take part in, wasn't written by the main AC Odyssey team (they out sourced the first DLC), and takes place in the same world you already explored.

If you really loved the main game and just want some more of the same I suppose it is worth it (I played it all after all).

But I would only recommend it to those who truly want to experience the entire set of content.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
They had a secondary team do First Blade, and it had a lot of problems to say the least. The main team did Fate of Atlantis and it is much better. Not only does it have new areas (very cool ass ones) but the writing and quests are much better.
Yeah... I finished all three Atlantis DLCs..
Yes they had more people working on it to create assets and three new maps, but I think they still didn't bother to have a writing team. The modern time stuff was non-sensical and the Atlantis part was cliché at best.

Maybe it's the episodic format, I don't know but I there is a problem with the writing. Not that in general AC has superb writing but it was like they didn't even care with these DLCs.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I mean if the money isn't a big deal get the whole season pass. That said Hidden Blade is one of the most boring and frankly unsatisfying DLC I have ever played. It does nothing unique, has boring quests, forces you into a relationship that you may or may not want to take part in, wasn't written by the main AC Odyssey team (they out sourced the first DLC), and takes place in the same world you already explored.
Already bought the pass before I read this haha. Oh well. Should be OK I guess.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already bought the pass before I read this haha. Oh well. Should be OK I guess.

I wouldn't call it bad in general. It's fine for what it is I guess, I just found it significantly lower in quality than the rest of the game and the second DLC set by a long shot. If you go into it with low expectations you can get something out of it.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm late to the party in AC: Odyssey (just recently wrapped up Origins) and I was having massive microstuttering during gameplay.

My specs in a nutshell (or: more than enough to run this shit properly at 1080p):
Ryzen 7 2700
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 3200 mhz

So I went and OC'ed my CPU from it's 3.2 Ghz standard to 4.1Ghz and:
salvo.jpg

Microstuttering is gone (notice how the minimum fps went WAY up), performance is on top shape. All of this while being perfectly able to run Origins without any OC'ing. What a terribly optimized game.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Been chipping away at this game since it came out and finally made some decent progress over the past weekend. Felt good to get that "Hermes's Homie" achievement and finally have the entire massive map fully uncovered lol. Also wrapped up 2 of the three main story lines and now just have 2 branches of the cult to deal with along with a few side quests. After that will move on to The Lost Tales of Greece and the DLC before I can officially take this off my backlog (and finally claim back those 106 GB from my tiny SSD).

Really enjoying the game, and kind of amazes me just how much content there is here (I think I'm at about 75 hours played at this point). Still, part of me does want to move on to trying some other games (I've kind of avoided taking on any other longer games until I finish Odyssey) or taking a break after finishing the main story, but I'm notoriously bad at coming back to games for DLC after a break, and since I already committed to buying the season pass, figure I'll just play through it all now.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Been chipping away at this game since it came out and finally made some decent progress over the past weekend. Felt good to get that "Hermes's Homie" achievement and finally have the entire massive map fully uncovered lol. Also wrapped up 2 of the three main story lines and now just have 2 branches of the cult to deal with along with a few side quests. After that will move on to The Lost Tales of Greece and the DLC before I can officially take this off my backlog (and finally claim back those 106 GB from my tiny SSD).

Really enjoying the game, and kind of amazes me just how much content there is here (I think I'm at about 75 hours played at this point). Still, part of me does want to move on to trying some other games (I've kind of avoided taking on any other longer games until I finish Odyssey) or taking a break after finishing the main story, but I'm notoriously bad at coming back to games for DLC after a break, and since I already committed to buying the season pass, figure I'll just play through it all now.
The Lost Tales can be done at any time in any order, I think. Will you be solving all the riddles too? That's all I have left from the base game, and I expect I'll do them at some point.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Lost Tales can be done at any time in any order, I think. Will you be solving all the riddles too? That's all I have left from the base game, and I expect I'll do them at some point.

Nope, skipped most of those. I'm just planning to finish off the Cult story, Lost Tales, DLC, and whatever 'Yellow Exclamation' side quests I have left (already did most of them).

Did one of the Lost Tales tonight (the one with Herodotus). I wasn't expecting much for free post-release content (was thinking it would be a quick 10-15 minute quest or something), but it was a pretty decent length quest line (took me the better part of an hour) and had a nice ending IMO. Looking forward to playing the rest of them.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I just came across a slightly annoying bug in the first part of the Atlantis dlc. I was tasked with rescuing 3 prisoners from Persephone's Dream, and on the way back I hear, "It's a shame I couldn't save Theron." What? Then handing in the quest I'm reporting that he died. Uhhh, who's Theron? You're supposed to get a notification that he's in the camp and you can save him by knocking him out and liberating him. Failure to save him results in a later quest being affected. OK so that later quest is probably meaningless in the grand scheme, but that's not the point. Then I tried to load one of the auto-saves and for some reason all of the auto-saves were seconds apart from each other and after the mission, so that was out, and my last hard save was a few days ago so I'm not going all the way back to that.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wrapped up all the side quests I wanted to complete and caught up with all the Lost Tales. Overall really enjoyed the Lost Tales and thought they did a really good job of fleshing out the world. Not bad at all for free post-release content. My favorite is probably 'One really, really bad day'. Lighthearted with a bit of black comedy. Probably one of my favorite quest lines in the game.

Now onto the DLC from the season pass.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Finished episode 1 of the Atlantis dlc the last days and right now I am in the middle of the 2nd episode. I like Hades more than Elysium but I can't really explain why. Hades looks really beautiful in its grimness. Bloody lakes, skulls everywhere, people with ashen(?) skin and distant crying set a really great atmosphere. It is so fun to meet characters who are long dead and see how they changed (or not). Hades himself and Charon are very well written characters and I enjoy them more than Persephone and the likes. I also enjoy the quests more. I am delighted that they removed the liberate mechanic and influence mechanic from episode 1 because they were the reasons I had to grind a little bit at the end.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys I am stumped. How do I start the 3rd episode of the Atlantis dlc? The other two episodes started by itself and gave me quests but this time there is nothing. I purchased the season pass and never had any problem with unlocking content. I checked every realm but there is nothing.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Ok guys I am stumped. How do I start the 3rd episode of the Atlantis dlc? The other two episodes started by itself and gave me quests but this time there is nothing. I purchased the season pass and never had any problem with unlocking content. I checked every realm but there is nothing.
For me, it started on it's own, immediately after the fight with Hades.

Have you downloaded the DLC yet? Even if you've purchased it, you still have to downloaded it from the store (PS4).

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been playing this game off and on for the last year or so. Did I just beat the game?

I fought Kassandra on the cliff and killed her, then went to an awkward family dinner

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
So I've been playing this game off and on for the last year or so. Did I just beat the game?

I fought Kassandra on the cliff and killed her, then went to an awkward family dinner
That's the end of the family questline. The cult and Atlantis questlines each have their own ending too. Wouldn't really call the game done until you're wrapped up all three.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm late to the party in AC: Odyssey (just recently wrapped up Origins) and I was having massive microstuttering during gameplay.

My specs in a nutshell (or: more than enough to run this shit properly at 1080p):
Ryzen 7 2700
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 3200 mhz

So I went and OC'ed my CPU from it's 3.2 Ghz standard to 4.1Ghz and:
salvo.jpg

Microstuttering is gone (notice how the minimum fps went WAY up), performance is on top shape. All of this while being perfectly able to run Origins without any OC'ing. What a terribly optimized game.
PC version sucks?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm really impressed with the Atlantis expansion. The first episode took longer than all three episodes of the Blade dlc, with a cool new area to explore and new mechanics with the Isu statues. Then another new area after that too, not as big, but it looks amazing.

"So get another dog." lol

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Of the 3 Atlantis expansions, I like the 3rd one the best, then the 2nd then the first.
Mostly for their world, then missions.
The first one was pretty, but a pain in the ass to get around and even know exactly what to do.
Second one, while meant to be "ugly", looked pretty cool - almost like a heavy metal album cover, and it was easier to get around.
Third one was just more fun overall, can't say exactly why, but I just enjoyed going through the whole map more than the other two.
As for the ending... meh. Had some issues with it, or with what little of it that made sense.
Anyways, one last tales of Greece mission this month and then it'll be "antio sas" Kassandra!

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
but I think they still didn't bother to have a writing team. The modern time stuff was non-sensical and the Atlantis part was cliché at best.

Maybe it's the episodic format, I don't know but I there is a problem with the writing. Not that in general AC has superb writing but it was like they didn't even care with these DLCs.

In fact, in my opinion, the problem comes when it moves away from the real history. The whole plot around Deimos is honestly... laughable, cliché and shameful at that level. However, until the banquet with Socrates, I found the writing not so bad. Because yeah, the real history is more interesting to follow. I don't know why they didn't put more emphasis on Kleon, he's a really interesting historical character
and there was a way to give him the role of main antagonist (and the story stops almost after his death).

As for the DLC, Elysium was not bad at all, the same for Hades where the side quests were really interesting
(especially for Phoibe and Brasidas)
Now I stopped Atlantis because I was bored. The more we move away from a historical framework, the less I get involved. It's crazy because they stopped right there where it was getting really interesting during the Peloponnesian War...