• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
RPGs in general aren't designed with replayability in mind unless they specifically include new game plus modes
I'm a bit confused by this. Could you clarify what you mean when you say RPG?

Assuming an RPG has meaningful choices or multiple classes/playtypes, they're generally fairly replayable. Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Witcher series, Fallout, and Pokemon are all meant to be fairly replayable.

Jan 2, 2018
I stopped after ac3. Really need to pick this series up again. By the way, I don't remember ac1 looking this good! Do you use any mods?

If not, the game holds up really well.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through AC: Rouge on the Switch and I'm still really enjoying it.

It's a much better port than the AC3, in addition to being much more technically impressive as well. New York from AC3 is in this game, but it feels like a much more lively and colorful city. At times I'm genuinely impressed at the character count of civilians on screen while still having a fairly solid framerate. Still has pop-in at times like that, but forgivable IMO.

I don't think they had this in AC4, but I like how they kinda mixed in the Assassin hunt multiplayer mode with the single player game. It's not actual multiplayer, but they basically have gangs that have their own assassin's that sneak up on you and attack you. It can be a little annoying occasionally, but it also keeps you on your toes and it's fun to find them hiding and take them down yourself.

As far as I remember NY from Rogue is different from NY from AC3. They changed some things.

I stopped after ac3. Really need to pick this series up again. By the way, I don't remember ac1 looking this good! Do you use any mods?

If not, the game holds up really well.

Yeah that is vanilla AC1 just at 4K.

Also I reached point in Odyssey where I need to gain 4-5 levels to proceed with any branch of the main story so I took a break. This is second time this happened and it really sucks.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Interested in playing through this series as I never have. Hope to god they bring Ezio trilogy to switch

EDIT: just realised AC1 isn't in the collection. Don't have a last gen console or decent pc so looks like I can't get into the series lol

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit confused by this. Could you clarify what you mean when you say RPG?

Assuming an RPG has meaningful choices or multiple classes/playtypes, they're generally fairly replayable. Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Witcher series, Fallout, and Pokemon are all meant to be fairly replayable.
Even with multiple builds, choices, etc. most people aren't expected to go back and engage with that.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I burnt out hard on "the old style" of AC because of Unity.

I bought syndicate on a heavy sale when I previously would buy these games day 1 with a collectors edition.

Origins brought me back, and I think Odyssey made me much more optimistic about the series if they were using this structure going forward

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Looking back years ago my favorite gaming franchises have been Castlevania, Ghouls n Ghosts, etc. I haven't given any thought to my favorite franchises until recently, and it dawned on me how much I really love playing the Assassin's Creed games. So I'm slotting it right alongside the other classics that I've loved over the years.

Anyways I've been playing a lot more Odyssey as of late, and hope to see it through to the end. Afterwards I'll take a break and then start Syndicate.
This thread makes me want to start up the original to see how much has changed. I haven't played it since it released, but it still looks good.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
As far as I remember NY from Rogue is different from NY from AC3. They changed some things.
It definitely feels a lot different, it's actually an enjoyable city to run around, climb, and just play around in.
Having just played 3 before this one I barely remembered anything about New York except for maybe the Ship Yards, but I can't even remember if that was New York or Boston, they're just so similar in 3.

I knew Rouge was going to be like 4 with the ship sailing and the smaller cities/villages, but I wasn't expecting a full, large city environment too, even if it is a tweaked one from a past game.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
More i play Odyssey more i am getting annoyed. Today i did few side quests to bring my level up for main guests. One of the quests was simply to talk with NPC, but guess what, for some reason that NPC was placed inside guarded area for no reason. NPC wasn't under protection, it wasn't place where that NPC lives, it was simply random guarded area. Fine i clear that area, talk to him, go back 150m and finish quest. Then i star other quest, Again NPC that i need to meet and deliver something is in damn Fort. Again i clear the fort, hand over package, and i go back to quest giver to finish quest. Guess what quest giver was placed inside Region Leader guarded area for no reason at all. And entire time i was dealing with guards and leader in room 5m x 5m that same quest giver didn't react at all. Then i start 3rd quest and it is again meet NPC in guarded area.

You really see entire game in first 10-15h and after that you are doing literally same things over and over again. And it bad to mediocre writing combined with similar performance from actors doesn't help.

But i must admit that world is nice and even though sometimes feels similar to Origins it is different enough. But what i can't say is that regions feel similar and more variety would help a lot.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I had AC1 back in the day but never finished it and then never got another one until Odyssey because the full on rpg direction and Kassandra interested me. Ended up enjoying it a lot and spent over 100h with it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Somehow everytime I play Skyrim I end up with a stealth archer who's the master of everything.

What you end up doing doesnt contradict the poster that said they're replayable
I almost always end up being a goody two shoes in fallout replays but that doesnt mean i havent started several new characters

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And i forgot to mention Tombs in Odyssey, they are awful. They are even worse than Origins ones. There is 0 satisfaction finishing them, only thing you do is wander around killing snakes and avoiding spikes and when you reach that stone your character just dusts it over and that's it. No explanation what the hell they are, how they are ended up there, nothing. They couldn't even do this right. Was it so hard to do half of the Tombs they did for Odyssey but do them with elaborate puzzles and stories?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Ok Odyssey is really inconsistent story wise. I was doing quests on Mykonos for Kyra and i never picked romance option during conversation and then comes quest and conversation where Kyra says how she feels that something is between her and Kassandra and how she had to act but she loves that other guy. And then they both look really disappointed.

Also when you start those quests you get info that Spartans who came to the island to help mostly died and that there are 12 Spartans left. Then comes quest where like dozens and dozens Spartans are fighting against Athenians in Conquest Battle.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost to the end of Odyssey's expansion. Didn't like the main story as much as Origins, nor did I like the setting, protag, etc., but I think the gameplay was better. Just too big of a game IMO, but the expansions have had some good story bits to tie things back and flesh things out. I do plan (or at least have hopes of) doing a mainline playthrough starting with 1. Origins and Odyssey (and about an hour of 1 and 4) are the extent of my AC experience.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Ok it is time for another rant. Today i discovered A Life's Dedication questline and i was really happy because it was meant to be treasure hunt questline and i love those. But then i realized few things about Ubisofts new design policy. In short they will literally stick to same gameplay mechanics and use them even if that means "ruining" quests. This questline was perfect opportunity for them to include some environmental puzzles, mini games, word puzzles, exploration, talking to other people... But no they did none of those. They literally turned it to fetch quests. They didn't even used Exploration Mode that much and you got waypoints as soon as you actuated quests. And even when you got to use Exploration Mode ting it was so badly done (you got clues that told you nothing and you basically go in rough direction until you get prompt to use eagle to find what you were looking for). And even when you collects all pieces of the puzzle you never get chance to assemble those pieces. And that questline ending is most unsatisfying questline ending i saw in a while. And that is f-ing sad because story in that questline was interesting and pointed to really big ending. So instead of doing awesome treasure hunt you end up doing fetch quests and insteand of big pay off you get nothing.

And this happens at some level in every single quest in this game. They are sacrificing good written quests because they don't want to include gameplay mechanics that would be specific to those quests (or maybe once or twice after that). Everything had to be designed around core gameplay mechanics. And that is why Ubisoft games will never reach heights of 9/10 or 10/10 games.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I finally beat Rogue, and it was definitely a solid game. The story was good up until about half-way through (basically when you go from Assassin to Templar), and then it just became about killing off your former Assassin friends and not much else.
But the ship sailing is still great, and still impressive looking when playing on the Switch.
I also love the snowier environments in the North map. Snow levels are always my favorite.

I do wish Ubisoft never made the treasure chests count toward completion percentages of areas. a few hours into any Assassin's Creed you have more than enough money, and the chests just end up having a tiny bit of money and that's about it. The other collectables unlock lore, or special equipment, but the treasure chests add nothing but busy work. MAYBE if they gave you rare crafting materials they might be more useful, but money just isn't that useful in AC games.
I've started Unity a little bit and that game shows you all the chests from the start and they're just EVERYWHERE. I know some used to be premium content, but I seem to remember Ubisoft unlocking them for everyone after enough of a stink was made about it.
At least in Unity some of the rarer chests actually do have more valuable stuff in them.

One little thing I did appreciate in Rogue is that you don't actually need to do any of the hunting or whaling in the game if you don't want to. You still need whale or shark parts for crafting stuff, but now you can just buy those materials from the store instead of doing it yourself.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Took me a bit because life got in the way but I'm through AC2 now and just started Brotherhood.

AC2 was a lot shorter than I remember. I did everything but get all 100 feathers and it only took me like 20 hours. Also I'm playing the Ezio Collection and had never played the DLC before, which they slot into the game in this collection. I didn't like the DLC chapters at all. They're really jarring because their quality is far lower than the chapters around them. Other than that the game is still quite good and Ezio is still a fantastic character.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Took me a bit because life got in the way but I'm through AC2 now and just started Brotherhood.

AC2 was a lot shorter than I remember. I did everything but get all 100 feathers and it only took me like 20 hours. Also I'm playing the Ezio Collection and had never played the DLC before, which they slot into the game in this collection. I didn't like the DLC chapters at all. They're really jarring because their quality is far lower than the chapters around them. Other than that the game is still quite good and Ezio is still a fantastic character.
Yeah, I don't remember the Assassin's Creed games being super long until AC4. I think I hit 40 hours on that one when I finally beat it, and that wasn't even getting all the collectibles.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Family Questline in Odyssey today. That was bad, really bad. I will write more in upcoming days but in short that was like 10h story stretched to 50h one.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I finished Family Storiline earlier this week and now i am close to finishing Cultist Storyline too. I played game for like 63h and i am currently Level 46. So now that i shared my progress i will talk more about game itself. I will start with things that i liked because i have a lot more to say about things that i didn't like.

Overall i like the world (i will talk about issues later) and there are a lot of beautiful locations that made me smile more than once.

uHc44xW.png

iD2lisw.png

3g8lrNX.png

jk7I5z1.png

NOAFunG.png

of2xjiY.png

hmChAVU.png

Mh45ZlY.png

MiV0d0R.png

9a3pEZP.png

KHLEogw.png

As i said some of the locations are truly breathtaking and that kinda makes me bit sad for the reasons i will elaborate bit later. Another thing that i liked way more than in Origins and i must say more than in Syndicate are more important characters that you meet during the game. Compared to Origins there are way more interesting and historical characters like Hippocrates, Socrates, Herodotus, Barnabas, Xenia, Phoebe, Alkibiades... So it was way easier to follow story and remember quests than it was in Origins. And story in quests is way better than it was on Origins, a lot better.

But that is more-less i liked about this game. Everything else ranges from really bad to mediocre for me. Let's star with Family Storyline. In short as i said before that is like 10h Storyline artificially stretched to 50h. What is even worse is that even after you go through those 50h you don't get any kind of payoff. Ending of that Storyline is so bad (i got good ending)and disappointing that makes it even worse that i spent 50h to finish it). Entrier Storyline is more-less straight forward with maybe 1 twist and that's it. Even with all of those interesting characters you don't get to connect with either of them. There are like 0 emotions through entire game because writing and actor performances are raging from bad to mediocre (and there were few moments where there should be a lot of emotions). And entire story clashes with gameplay, you are neutral mercenary who works for money but only at the beginning. as story goes on your motives change and in the end it feels awkward that you can attack both Spartan and Athenian camps and fortresses. So yeah Familly Storyline was really disappointing and from what i did for Cult Storyline i don't think that it will be any better than Family one. I played very little of Atlantis one so i won't talk about that.

Next thing i will talk about are quests and quest design. In short it is better than Origins but it is still repetitive slog for the most part. They simply picked gameplay mechanics first and designed every single quest around them no matter if it fits the narrative or not. There is part of the game where you can feel how wasted opportunity it was just because they were not willing to make one off (they still could be used in other quests) mechanics. Without spoiling too much i am talking about certain part of the game where you compete. Another example is A Life's Dedication treasure hunt questline (i talked about it before) where Instead of solving puzzles and riddles to solve it you do fetch quests. And even worse thing is that there is big story hinted through that questline and in the end you get nothing from that, and payoff for all of that fetching is so bad that really pissed me. Rest of the quests are more-less same, i can;t remember how many times i heard almost the same spoken lines during those quest. There are literally same quests that you do just for different factions. In the end 90% of the time you will end up raiding camps/caves/fortresses for various reasons. Very little creativity and variety. And that's sad because as i said before there were truly moments where they could make amazing things, they just had to abandon template they set. And there are quests where you just go, talk to the NPC and quest is over. There are also questlines where instead of making one big quest every part of the questline is new quest.

Now let's talk about combat. For me it's boring because for the most parts enemies are sword sponges. And big impact on that has level saline (i will talk about that bit later). Big reason for boring me are also animations because there is very little variety in animations during combat, for a 100h game. After like 5h you will more-less see all combat moves and you will look at them for the rest of the game. Abilities you get to use are not that interesting to be honest. Especially when combined with level scaling. There is nothing worse than performing brutal attack that is max level and dealing like 5% damage. Other types of abilities like lighting your weapon on fire are kinda useless because you deal very little additional damage and to find if enemy is vulnerable to fire you need to use your eagle (that is not what you want to do in the middle of the fight). And don't get me started about assassinations where you never know if you will assassinate target or just deal damage. Sometimes you will kill target even if meter doesn't show that you will, sometimes you wont. Last combat related thing i will talk about are boss battles. They are awful. Ubisoft clearly went after Souls lite bosses but they didn't even come close. The worst are Legendary animals where animals have erratic movement patterns and dodging doesn't work that great. Good example is Hyena battle where i missed so many dodges and even attacks because of unpredictable movement and dodge button outright refusing to work.Every time i got hit or died in Sekiro for example i knew it was my fault, in Odyssey i felt that it was almost never my fault.

While we are at combat i hate ship part of the game and i loved it in Black Flag. Between boats spawning from thin air to help ship that i am fighting with and awkward ship controls i hated it. Boarding felt so bad too.

Rest of the things i would like to talk are exploration mode, save system, level scaling, atmosphere and cities and other various things. I will start with exploration mode (i played entire game with that mode), simply after few hours it becomes boring and annoying for multiple reasons. Flow is always the same, talk to NPC, open and mark place on the map, as soon as you enter 150m radius around that place you get prompt to use eagle. Now repeat that 300 times. Why should we use eagle every single time?Not to mention that often you will get vague directions from NPC but written ones will be way more detailed, or you will even get waypoint directly in some cases. If you will put something like exploration mode in game then players should find clues and locations without any hints. Go talk to people nearby or find clues around the world. For new players i would recommend to try this mode but most of you will probably get bored fast.
Also i had issues with save system. I don't remember if this was the case on Origins but in Odyssey i would often lose like 5-10 minutes of progress because save system is different from older games where game would save constantly. One of the examples is fight with one of the Legendary animals. I finished fight, got notification that i finished fight, got notification that i finished that area, i looted animal, decided that i had it enough for a day, exited game. And then when i started game next day and pressed continue game loaded save before fight when i synced viewpoint. Today i sailed for like 5 minutes, discovered underwater ruin, went for treasure, shark killed me, game loaded me to the part where i was before that 5 minute sail. And so on, forts are the worst, entire fort resets even if there is only one thing left to do.
Level scaling is another annoying thing that is in the game. You can end up fighting damn boar for 1+ minute because of that. You simply never feel progression that much. Yes you get new abilities but they are on cooldown so you use them like every 30 seconds and between that you are just spamming ordinary attacks. Add to that enemies that are sword sponges and you get bored fast.
Another thing that disappointed me were cities. They are beautiful to look but they feel like they are artificial. There are a lot of NPCs in them but they don't feel alive. Hearing same song over and over again and same conversations (if you can hear them) doesn't help. On top of that making a lot of ordinary public building guarded places where you can't even com close without fighting is stupid. Add to that lack of taverns or places where you could sit and watch surroundings, lots of merchants that are not selling anything to you and you simply don't have reason to explore them that much and they fell like stages and not like real cities.

So in short Ubisoft went too big and they made really shallow game that tried many things and did non of them well. They refused to move away from few templates they had for quests no matter what and wasted a lot of potentially good moments because of that. We got beautiful world to explore that is in reality kinda empty and more you play more artificial it feels, especially in the cities. And story and quests that should bring everything together often en up disappointing and as rest of the game shallow. They really should abandon making huge but shallow worlds and make them 1/3 of the Odyssey size but with more variety in both story, quests and gameplay mechanics. And please bring back mini games.

I will slowly continue to play Odyssey and DLCs to reach 100% this year (i did all mainline AC games 100% after all) and i will probably post about DLCs too.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Cultist Storyline today, again not worth spending hours and hours chasing Cultists. Payoff is minimal and ending is weak.

Valtekken

Nov 7, 2017
Bari, Italy
Finished Cultist Storyline today, again not worth spending hours and hours chasing Cultists. Payoff is minimal and ending is weak.
Man, for your own good, stop playing that piece of crap. I say this as someone who has sunk 200 hrs 100%ing the whole game plus DLCs. It's just not worth any kind of time. It's irredeemable. If you wanna know why I did it myself, it's because I had nothing else to play for a huge chunk of 2019, but if I had I would've spent that time elsewhere.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Man, for your own good, stop playing that piece of crap. I say this as someone who has sunk 200 hrs 100%ing the whole game plus DLCs. It's just not worth any kind of time. It's irredeemable. If you wanna know why I did it myself, it's because I had nothing else to play for a huge chunk of 2019, but if I had I would've spent that time elsewhere.

Nah I will finish it and slowly do 100% over the course of this year.

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Currently going through odyssey. Lasted longer than I did on origins. Overall I like it. But it's the sort of game where I need to have another game on the go alongside it so I don't burnout.

if it becomes a chore, I'll drop it as I don't try and finish a game if my interest drops off. It's going ok so far after about 40 hours.

However, if there is a long modern day section, then I could drop it sooner!! The modern day should be optional by now.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Just finished Revelations. While I hated the first person Desmond stuff I think the Ezio stuff is better than Brotherhood. Also the next game tease at the end is good. Now onto AC3. I'm really curious to see how I end up liking it after having not played it since it came out.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn it, OP. This topic just made me buy the Ezio Collection for the PS4. And Rogue.

I've already finished:
Black Flag
Unity
Syndicate
Origins

and I'm currently playing Odyssey, just finishing the last DLC. Also started III as it came free with Odyssey, but still at the beginning.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I finished Family Storiline earlier this week and now i am close to finishing Cultist Storyline too. I played game for like 63h and i am currently Level 46. So now that i shared my progress i will talk more about game itself. I will start with things that i liked because i have a lot more to say about things that i didn't like.

Overall i like the world (i will talk about issues later) and there are a lot of beautiful locations that made me smile more than once.

uHc44xW.png

iD2lisw.png

3g8lrNX.png

jk7I5z1.png

NOAFunG.png

of2xjiY.png

hmChAVU.png

Mh45ZlY.png

MiV0d0R.png

9a3pEZP.png

KHLEogw.png

As i said some of the locations are truly breathtaking and that kinda makes me bit sad for the reasons i will elaborate bit later. Another thing that i liked way more than in Origins and i must say more than in Syndicate are more important characters that you meet during the game. Compared to Origins there are way more interesting and historical characters like Hippocrates, Socrates, Herodotus, Barnabas, Xenia, Phoebe, Alkibiades... So it was way easier to follow story and remember quests than it was in Origins. And story in quests is way better than it was on Origins, a lot better.

But that is more-less i liked about this game. Everything else ranges from really bad to mediocre for me. Let's star with Family Storyline. In short as i said before that is like 10h Storyline artificially stretched to 50h. What is even worse is that even after you go through those 50h you don't get any kind of payoff. Ending of that Storyline is so bad (i got good ending)and disappointing that makes it even worse that i spent 50h to finish it). Entrier Storyline is more-less straight forward with maybe 1 twist and that's it. Even with all of those interesting characters you don't get to connect with either of them. There are like 0 emotions through entire game because writing and actor performances are raging from bad to mediocre (and there were few moments where there should be a lot of emotions). And entire story clashes with gameplay, you are neutral mercenary who works for money but only at the beginning. as story goes on your motives change and in the end it feels awkward that you can attack both Spartan and Athenian camps and fortresses. So yeah Familly Storyline was really disappointing and from what i did for Cult Storyline i don't think that it will be any better than Family one. I played very little of Atlantis one so i won't talk about that.

Next thing i will talk about are quests and quest design. In short it is better than Origins but it is still repetitive slog for the most part. They simply picked gameplay mechanics first and designed every single quest around them no matter if it fits the narrative or not. There is part of the game where you can feel how wasted opportunity it was just because they were not willing to make one off (they still could be used in other quests) mechanics. Without spoiling too much i am talking about certain part of the game where you compete. Another example is A Life's Dedication treasure hunt questline (i talked about it before) where Instead of solving puzzles and riddles to solve it you do fetch quests. And even worse thing is that there is big story hinted through that questline and in the end you get nothing from that, and payoff for all of that fetching is so bad that really pissed me. Rest of the quests are more-less same, i can;t remember how many times i heard almost the same spoken lines during those quest. There are literally same quests that you do just for different factions. In the end 90% of the time you will end up raiding camps/caves/fortresses for various reasons. Very little creativity and variety. And that's sad because as i said before there were truly moments where they could make amazing things, they just had to abandon template they set. And there are quests where you just go, talk to the NPC and quest is over. There are also questlines where instead of making one big quest every part of the questline is new quest.

Now let's talk about combat. For me it's boring because for the most parts enemies are sword sponges. And big impact on that has level saline (i will talk about that bit later). Big reason for boring me are also animations because there is very little variety in animations during combat, for a 100h game. After like 5h you will more-less see all combat moves and you will look at them for the rest of the game. Abilities you get to use are not that interesting to be honest. Especially when combined with level scaling. There is nothing worse than performing brutal attack that is max level and dealing like 5% damage. Other types of abilities like lighting your weapon on fire are kinda useless because you deal very little additional damage and to find if enemy is vulnerable to fire you need to use your eagle (that is not what you want to do in the middle of the fight). And don't get me started about assassinations where you never know if you will assassinate target or just deal damage. Sometimes you will kill target even if meter doesn't show that you will, sometimes you wont. Last combat related thing i will talk about are boss battles. They are awful. Ubisoft clearly went after Souls lite bosses but they didn't even come close. The worst are Legendary animals where animals have erratic movement patterns and dodging doesn't work that great. Good example is Hyena battle where i missed so many dodges and even attacks because of unpredictable movement and dodge button outright refusing to work.Every time i got hit or died in Sekiro for example i knew it was my fault, in Odyssey i felt that it was almost never my fault.

While we are at combat i hate ship part of the game and i loved it in Black Flag. Between boats spawning from thin air to help ship that i am fighting with and awkward ship controls i hated it. Boarding felt so bad too.

Rest of the things i would like to talk are exploration mode, save system, level scaling, atmosphere and cities and other various things. I will start with exploration mode (i played entire game with that mode), simply after few hours it becomes boring and annoying for multiple reasons. Flow is always the same, talk to NPC, open and mark place on the map, as soon as you enter 150m radius around that place you get prompt to use eagle. Now repeat that 300 times. Why should we use eagle every single time?Not to mention that often you will get vague directions from NPC but written ones will be way more detailed, or you will even get waypoint directly in some cases. If you will put something like exploration mode in game then players should find clues and locations without any hints. Go talk to people nearby or find clues around the world. For new players i would recommend to try this mode but most of you will probably get bored fast.
Also i had issues with save system. I don't remember if this was the case on Origins but in Odyssey i would often lose like 5-10 minutes of progress because save system is different from older games where game would save constantly. One of the examples is fight with one of the Legendary animals. I finished fight, got notification that i finished fight, got notification that i finished that area, i looted animal, decided that i had it enough for a day, exited game. And then when i started game next day and pressed continue game loaded save before fight when i synced viewpoint. Today i sailed for like 5 minutes, discovered underwater ruin, went for treasure, shark killed me, game loaded me to the part where i was before that 5 minute sail. And so on, forts are the worst, entire fort resets even if there is only one thing left to do.
Level scaling is another annoying thing that is in the game. You can end up fighting damn boar for 1+ minute because of that. You simply never feel progression that much. Yes you get new abilities but they are on cooldown so you use them like every 30 seconds and between that you are just spamming ordinary attacks. Add to that enemies that are sword sponges and you get bored fast.
Another thing that disappointed me were cities. They are beautiful to look but they feel like they are artificial. There are a lot of NPCs in them but they don't feel alive. Hearing same song over and over again and same conversations (if you can hear them) doesn't help. On top of that making a lot of ordinary public building guarded places where you can't even com close without fighting is stupid. Add to that lack of taverns or places where you could sit and watch surroundings, lots of merchants that are not selling anything to you and you simply don't have reason to explore them that much and they fell like stages and not like real cities.

So in short Ubisoft went too big and they made really shallow game that tried many things and did non of them well. They refused to move away from few templates they had for quests no matter what and wasted a lot of potentially good moments because of that. We got beautiful world to explore that is in reality kinda empty and more you play more artificial it feels, especially in the cities. And story and quests that should bring everything together often en up disappointing and as rest of the game shallow. They really should abandon making huge but shallow worlds and make them 1/3 of the Odyssey size but with more variety in both story, quests and gameplay mechanics. And please bring back mini games.

I will slowly continue to play Odyssey and DLCs to reach 100% this year (i did all mainline AC games 100% after all) and i will probably post about DLCs too.
This is the one review that I had read that nails everything wrong about Odyssey while being fair to the rest of it. Thank you. Hope it reaches good eyes.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
1tm0lCQ.gif

I need to get back to 3 Remastered myself. God, I hate 3 so much it's almost been a year since I've touched the damn thing:

ac3lolb9kie.jpg

I did play Remastered one and even though i like AC3 i didn't went for 100%, doing it once is enough :D

This is the one review that I had read that nails everything wrong about Odyssey while being fair to the rest of it. Thank you. Hope it reaches good eyes.

Tnx i tried to be fair as possible.

Jan 10, 2018
My dream AC game is a more intuitive game where you have to do detective work in order to find your target. Like, you start out with a photo and some rumours about the person. You need to investigate areas, speak to the right people, send out spies and pressure enemies in various ways. And the game will never tell you if you're right until you actually assassinate the right target. You track your progress by placing sketches, maps and connecting threads on a classic billboard. When the target is highlighted you have to set things in motion by planning the actual assassination; best point of entry, equipment, possible allies etc. Please make this game happen!

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm about 60hrs into Odyssey and I was a bit concerned it would be too similar to Origins,which it kind of is,lol.......but I just love being in these Assassin's Creed game worlds,they are the only ones where I can slow walk through a city for 5mins just taking it all in.I certainly understand peoples dislike of the somewhat copy and paste nature of everything but it really doesn't bother me.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I fell off the Creed wagon a long time ago, but this thread made me realize I'd be there day one for a remake. They improved so much in later AC games (specially II and Brotherhood, but the setting of the first game was just brilliant and it had some cool ideas like the pre-assassination preparations) that - on paper - were really cool - but could use some variety. But the Outremer setting was just awesome.