• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
A few reviews have trickled in, so I thought I'd slap together a review thread. Remember when this was a Wii U launch title? Good times.

IGN: 5/10
Much like the recent Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package, Assassin's Creed III Remastered runs terribly in docked mode whenever anything happens. It's incredibly noticeable in the opening scene, as the camera pans over the full opera house. The framerate drops way below 30fps, and at times looks like it's struggling to hit 10fps. Outside of the detailed and busy opera house, it doesn't fare much better. Animations, which already look dated, are made even worse by the lousy framerate.
But, also like Saints Row: The Third, there's a caveat here: in handheld mode, Assassin's Creed III looks decent and runs acceptably. The 720p screen is small enough I barely noticed the loss of detail relative to the PS4 or ultra-high-definition PC versions on things like the buildings and character models. Some of the cutscenes are missing details, which I'd anticipated after seeing the Switch version of Mortal Kombat 11. It's not as egregious, but the opening cutscene which takes place in the van makes it look like the characters are driving through the thickest fog this side of Silent Hill.

Nintendo Life: 5/10
The first thing you'll notice is that many of the graphical upgrades from the other versions of this remaster don't actually seem to have made it across to the Switch. The revamped lighting system is certainly absent, screen space reflections (which add visual elements, such as water reflections) are missing, and many textures around the world – including common ones such as doors, trees and walls, things which you'll spend a lot of your time looking at – appear to be of a much lower resolution, more in line with the original 2012 release of the game (which we also got on Wii U, lest we forget). In fact, comparing this version side by side with the original PC release of the game, it falls some way short of even that older version in terms of textures, draw distance and pop-in; indeed, it is a regular occurrence as you manoeuvre around the streets of Boston in the early parts of the game to have background NPCs materialise into existence right beside you.
All of these problems are made worse when the game is played in docked mode. On a large TV the graphical flaws, low-resolution textures and framerate are much more noticeable, and moving the camera around causes an annoying and constant juddering effect. It's an unusual situation but this is one Switch game which seems to actually perform better in handheld mode; whether that's just because the smaller screen hides a lot of the problems we're not totally sure, but at least in portable mode that awful juddering is absent.

Jeux Vidéo: 13/20
Cette version remastérisée propose quelques idées appréciables. La refonte de l'interface, si elle aurait pu aller encore plus loin, permet à l'ensemble de gagner en confort d'utilisation. La présence de l'épisode Liberation et de l'ensemble des DLC (à télécharger, tout de même) assure un contenu conséquent, et bien que quelques mécaniques - comme des missions secondaires de remplissage - aient vieillies, le titre s'avère encore plaisant par le travail sur ses personnages, le rythme de ses combats, ses mécaniques de chasse ou encore la gestion et la vie du domaine. Malgré le poids des années et le progrès fulgurant des mondes ouverts, Assassin's Creed III dans sa version remastérisée conserve donc du charme et suffisamment de qualités pour valoir le détour aujourd'hui. Mais contrairement à ses homologues PS4 et Xbox One, il s'avère pénalisé par une technique nettement en deça sur Switch, matérialisée par la présence de quelques ralentissements, d'un combo clipping/aliasing encore important, et de quelques bugs et soucis d'affichages de textures qui ne viennent pas gâcher les qualités intrinsèques du titre, mais empêchent tout de même d'en profiter sous son meilleur jour.

GamePro Germany: 82/100
So viel zum Inhalt. Der spannende Aspekt eines jeden Switch-Ports ist natürlich die Technik. Um es kurz zu machen: Assassin's Creed 3 funktioniert auf der Switch gut, muss sich allerdings mit spürbaren Einschnitten in der grafischen Qualität zufriedengeben und ähnelt eher dem PS3-Original, als dem PS4/One-Remaster.
Das heißt aber nicht, dass die Switch-Version hässlich ist. Insbesondere im Vergleich mit anderen großen AAA-Spielen auf der Nintendo-Konsole müssen sich Connor und Aveline nicht verstecken.
Spielerisch hat sich im Vergleich zum Original außer ein paar kleinerer Gameplay-Neuerungen nicht viel getan. So wird bei Gegnern auf der Mini-Map jetzt die Blickrichtung angezeigt und ihr könnt Feinde aus einem Gebüsch heraus per Pfiff anlocken.
Mit Schusswaffen könnt ihr anders als im Original nun auch frei zielen. Auf der Nintendo Switch dürft ihr dazu auch die Bewegungssensoren der Joy-Con verwenden. Das funktioniert soweit auch ganz gut, aber ob es wirklich präziser ist, als mit den Analogsticks, ist allerdings fraglich.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Who asked for this game to be remastered Ubisoft? Honestly, this game is like the weakest in the series. Black Flag would have been awesome on the Switch. Shame to hear about the port quality.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
RIP.

I never got far in the original and I'm struggling to work up the motivation to play the Remaster on PS4, despite it being free with the Odyssey season pass.

I certainly won't be entertaining the thought of purchasing it on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
So a bad game made worse. Not entirely sure why Ubisoft bothered? ...well, barely bothered.
Kind of tired of 3rd parties coming in very late to the party and showing up drunk expecting to still look good.

Side tangent:
It's an unusual situation but this is one Switch game which seems to actually perform better in handheld mode; whether that's just because the smaller screen hides a lot of the problems we're not totally sure, but at least in portable mode that awful juddering is absent.
I've seen this mentioned a bit, but handheld mode usually runs in line with docked. Haven't experienced many games where it runs considerably worse.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
dips to 10fps.. jesus

10875.jpg

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
So docked mode runs like shit and sounds almost completely unoptimised. How have they managed to make it run worse than handheld? Worst case just run in the same lower res. Really, there should be a patch for this, especially at the price they've got the bollocks to charge people.. but I wouldn't hold my breath. Plenty of other software out there that care and time has been put in to. This stinks of cash grab.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Ubisoft really needs to hire someone better for their ports. I don't know if It's internal or something, but I'd love to play the Ezio Collection on Switch... at a stable framerate if it does come to Switch.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
anvil engine doesn't work well on the switch hardware.

that or ubisoft goes for a very low budget port. not a great showcase, hope they'll fix it....

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Who asked for this game to be remastered Ubisoft? Honestly, this game is like the weakest in the series. Black Flag would have been awesome on the Switch. Shame to hear about the port quality.
ACIII's PC port was fucking terrible so I'm glad this remaster exists if not to fix that.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why...on the wii u was not perfect, but pretty ok

Switch is more powerful and modern

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Ubishit. If you can't do a proper remastered version of the game like the PS4 and One versions, just put the original with stable framerate. And don't name it "remastered"

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It feels like they just asked an intern to press the "port2switch" button and called it a day. To think that I was considering purchasing that shameful port...

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I've played through the first few chapters and visually I'll say the pop in is very noticeable and it looks last gen.
The performance isn't anywhere near as bad as what's being said here though, outside of one specific scenario where there was some big explosions and the performance tanked. Game runs ok the majority of the time.

The main issue I have is the audio is very glitchy and sounds horrible. That's way more noticeable than any performance drops.

It's also one of the few games that actually has gyro aiming and touchscreen support. Even first party ignores the latter so they did put more effort than people think

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Black flag would have been a better choice.

I fucking loathe ACIII. Mostly because I bought into all of the PR bullshit about them working on it for years, and it was a proper sequel and it just ended up being the same boring annualized garbage.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's said to run acceptable in portable mode so this looks as they didn't really care about docked mode. In my experience most games run a bit better in docked mode normally. (i mean it has double the gpu power in docked mode, perhaps devs should leave resolution at 720p in docked mode (when the game struggles at 1080p) like Panic Bottons does it for their ports.

Oct 25, 2017
Frame rate looked really bad on every video I've seen of it. Can't say i'm shocked although dipping to 10 fps is certainly something.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Fucking shit ass port, not playing till something is ironed out.

Who was responsible for the port? Why is the audio so ass and why couldn't we have had an optional HD audio download?

I bet it's virtuous, considering Dark souls had tinny audio as well.

I have the remaster on PC free with the Odyssey season pass, yet I still chose to buy it on Switch because I finish way more games on there. It sucks when we get terrible ports.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they can barely get 3 running on the Switch, do we really expect the more tech intensive Black Flag to run well on the Switch? Especially since there is a huge, almost "whole other game" difference between the PS3/X360 and PS4/XOne versions. It is usually the more narrow current gen games they can port onto the Switch like Wolfenstein, but Black Flag is massive and detailed.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
If they can barely get 3 running on the Switch, do we really expect the more tech intensive Black Flag to run well on the Switch? Especially since there is a huge, almost "whole other game" difference between the PS3/X360 and PS4/XOne versions. It is usually the more narrow current gen games they can port onto the Switch like Wolfenstein, but Black Flag is massive and detailed.
I would assume they could get the 360/PS3/ Wii U versions of that game ported over considering the Wii U version ran fine from what I remembered at launch.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon, this is a PS3/Xbox 360 game, it really shouldn't be having these port issues.

Literally every single last gen port had framerate issues. LA Noire, Skyrim, Diablo, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma. It's just Switch's hardware is unfit for such ports.

I'm playing AC3 right now and framerate wise it's actually better than some. I can safely say dips are not as common as it's in Diablo. About same as Dragon's Dogma.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, nothing can beat the original.. but yeah partly agree, one of the weakest games in the franchise

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Literally every single last gen port had framerate issues. LA Noire, Skyrim, Diablo, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma. It's just Switch's hardware is unfit for such ports.

I'm playing AC3 right now and framerate wise it's actually better than some. I can safely say dips are not as common as it's in Diablo. About same as Dragon's Dogma.

Diablo III is pretty much rock solid most of the time, at twice the targeted framerate. This doesn't even play in the same league.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim, Diablo, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma frame rate on switch are lot better than last gen version. on the other hand AC3 on switch is a big mess.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Diablo framerate was solid 60. I played up until GR30 or so as a necromancer and I cant even remember having any drops at all. In no possible way is this better.

OP
OP
CaptainK

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I just finished sequence 3 of the Switch version. From what I remember, the Wii U version had better framerate, but worse image quality, so this is closer to a port than a remaster. Although I do appreciate the minor gameplay tweaks.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo III is pretty much rock solid most of the time, at twice the targeted framerate. This doesn't even play in the same league.
Diablo framerate was solid 60. I played up until GR30 or so as a necromancer and I cant even remember having any drops at all. In no possible way is this better.

Umm, how? Diablo is 30fps with some serious dips during busy moments. I was just playing the other day, it dropped to single digits when 30 something Risen attacked me at the graveyard part. It also heats the system pretty bad.

Could it be that docked version is different? Since I got my Switch on the launch day I never used it docked. Dock is still in the box.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
it's funny that they canceled steep because of performance issues but they did release this. (steep was probably worse than this, but still)

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I feel like Switch just really struggles with these dense, open world games. Especially a game like this that really pushed PS360.

Again, the performance is whatever, it's competent enough for me. Outside the mission where you blow up the barrels (ran terribly in that section), it's been ok.
The audio is a much bigger issue. It sounds so bad

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Umm, how? Diablo is 30fps with some serious dips during busy moments. I was just playing the other day, it dropped to single digits when 30 something Risen attacked me at the graveyard part. It also heats the system pretty bad.

Could it be that docked version is different? Since I got my Switch on the launch day I never used it docked. Dock is still in the box.
Why make an untruthful statement as fact?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, it seems docked/portable performance are quite different.

Again nope, watch the video in that link, both target 60fps. Framerate is similar docked/undocked, it's the resolution that changes the most. Also having lots of enemies on the screen tanks performance on all versions of the game so that doesn't really make it a bad port.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

I played both handheld and docked and both ran Great. Not sure how you possibly made it run in singel digit numbers.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017

Shitposting or hyperbole? Skyrim, DD:DA and Diablo are very good ports performance-wise. LA Noire is a bit worse. Haven't played others so won't make a comment on them.