• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
So with the game just about out on Switch, some have gotten legit early copies as this person shows in the beginning of the video (smart actually):

And so I decided to find footage of it on PS4 and pre-gen for comparison:

PS4 Pro:

PS360 (likely 360):

Screencaps:

ac3switchnwjqo.png

aceps4proo0kmf.png

ac3ps360gdj76.png

OOF that lighting doesnnt look good on PS4 IMO.

What are your thoughts on the comparison and how the Switch version looks?

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It's been patched on consoles and PC now, so it has improved. Not ideal, but definitely better.

Oct 25, 2017
The new lighting looked super jank on the character models but improved the look of the world.
The Switch version looks like a cleaner version of the 360 version which is probably fine enough.

Not sure how the performance holds up

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Would want to see how it performs in city, hopefully the frame rate and draw distance is not terrible like in the Wii U version, graphic wise it's nice.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Probably a Dark Souls situation where its just the last gen visuals with quality of life updates. The cave in the intro has the same blobby shadows and lighting as last gen.

5xataEc.png

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Switch version looks surprisingly solid. I'm just about wrapping up the Xbox One X version right now so I'm not really planning on hopping into it again on Switch afterwards but it's great to see that the port seems strong regardless.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I need to know about performance.
This game is a huge deal to see whether Switch can really handle some dense open world games and Saints Row IV is just a case of bad optimization

I want to play this. Haven't played AC since Revelations so perfect to pick up where I left off, would love if they brought over Black Flag & Rogue if this port turns out well

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This game is a huge deal to see whether Switch can really handle some dense open world games and Saints Row IV is just a case of bad optimization

I want to play this. Haven't played AC since Revelations so perfect to pick up where I left off, would love if they brought over Black Flag & Rogue if this port turns out well
3 not 4

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

III.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
found some undocked footage (not contra)

Doesn't look too bad. Only thing bad I noticed was some of the pop-in (NPCs, and shadows most notably when he was riding in the horse), but performance and visual quality looked solid.

But that is off camera handheld, so it could be a bit worse in person.

AC3 is my least favorite AC game, but I've been curious to give it another shot. Probably once this version goes on sale (or is cheap enough used) I'll probably pick it up on Switch.

I would like if it does well enough that they'll bring the Ezio Trilogy to the Switch. I'd LOVE to have Handheld versions of those.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The remaster is fine but the game is just not that good. It has super strong presentation, but that's it.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Looks pretty good. Just wonder how the framerate holds up once they get into the frontier or with fighting multiple enemies.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
There is a noticeable reduction in number of the NPC at beginning of the game compare to last gen version.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This is clearly a straight out port from the old version, not the remaster version.

Why would they call remaster if it's the same PS3/X360/Wii U version? Isn't this false advertising?

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Can anyone else not really say what version looks better? I.e. don't compare in terms of technicalities such as resolution etc. - but in terms of aesthetical preference.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This is clearly a straight out port from the old version, not the remaster version.

Why would they call remaster if it's the same PS3/X360/Wii U version? Isn't this false advertising?
If it uses any higher res assets (dunno if it does) it would qualify. Also, this includes Liberation so that technically warrants it being labeled what the exact same package is called on other platforms. Technical accuracy be damned. I guess.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This version, like last gen, is sweating in Boston part of the game.

Those drops down to the low 20s are awful.

Makes sense now why they decided to show off the less populated forest sections before.

After Saints Row 3 I'm really cautious as to whether I'm gonna pick this up.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It has the gameplay changes such as the free aim and dual assassinations.

I think this game is CPU bound and the Switch mobile CPU isn' the best...

Oct 27, 2017
I got the game today and played for a few hours.

+The storage aspect of the game is handled real well. Both games are on the cartridge. And the bonus missions and DLC that would have put the file size over 16GB are an optional download so you don't need to take up the space if you don't want to.
+Image quality for the most part is rather good. It's pretty sharp and most be close to 720P in handheld mode and 900-1080P in docked.

-Frame rate is no better than last gen console versions
-Seems like few of the graphical improvements made it over from current gen, missing SSR, new lighting model, etc. But the worst aspects made it over (IE the plastic faces). So, it's like a much cleaner looking/higher res version of the 360/PS3 version.
-Can be buggy, little visual glitches, NPC's getting stuck on geometry, audio glitches, etc.

Overall, I'm still glad I made the purchase as there are still so few open world AAA games on the system.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks good and runs surprisingly well after the horror footage we saw at the reveal lol.

I'm still to this day amazed at the level of fluidity and animation blending in this games combat. Very Arkham / Spider-Man like and so long ago.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
How is the audio? I've heard it's muffled? Hope it's not another case of Dark Souls lol

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
with every new game released, the switch looks more and more underpowered. the specs look good on paper, so what is happening? just lazy ports?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
My copy is being delivered today, I'll give impressions later. Seems to be a decent port from all the videos I've seen. Pretty excited as I haven't played AC since Revelations which was this games predecessor. Hopefully we can get Black Flag and Rogue as well as they're last gen too

FYI - PS4 & Xbox One version drops frames as well. Performance might be better on those versions but you're flat out wrong if you're thinking they hold a steady 30fps. That's why I wasn't flipping out when I saw Switch dropping in some areas

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Picked it up yesterday. It's definitely CPU bound in areas with lots of NPCs. Still mind-blowing though as a portable experience.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
with every new game released, the switch looks more and more underpowered. the specs look good on paper, so what is happening? just lazy ports?

Switch is a popular and profitable system, as such many companies are dumping rushed products onto it with little optimisation and typically the original code base; resulting in less then ideal experiances. Spec wise switch is far above the PS360, however code efficiency should still be prioritised regardless.

Time and resources is always the answer. Don't pull the lazy card.

Lazy publishers, overworked devs

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch version looks like a last gen version but with higher res, pretty much you expect from it's weak specs.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing that I have noticed is that the audio quality is very poor in spots, almost like it was compressed to some low bitrate (64kbps?) to fit in the cart. This reminds me of 3DS audio from Rayman Origins. Not as bad as that game. But still very noticeable.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The thing that I have noticed is that the audio quality is very poor in spots, almost like it was compressed to some low bitrate (64kbps?) to fit in the cart. This reminds me of 3DS audio from Rayman Origins. Not as bad as that game. But still very noticeable.

I was watching some YouTube vids and did notice that the audio sounded very compressed and tinny. I was hoping it was YouTube compression :(
Oh well, just got done playing Dark Souls Remastered and honestly yes the audio sounded pretty shitty but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Might be more of an issue in a game like this which has way more dialogue than Dark Souls

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was watching some YouTube vids and did notice that the audio sounded very compressed and tinny. I was hoping it was YouTube compression :(
Oh well, just got done playing Dark Souls Remastered and honestly yes the audio sounded pretty shitty but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Might be more of an issue in a game like this which has way more dialogue than Dark Souls

That is a thing that I hope Ubisoft find a way to solve somehow. Maybe have a High Quality Audio install?

I have also notice that the NPC system is not that good. There seems to be far fewer NPC's on the streets of Boston than even the Wii U version.