• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku had a write-up about the game that had a variety of new points that I don't think were clear from the previous presentations: https://kotaku.com/everything-we-learned-about-assassin-s-creed-odyssey-af-1826721186

New Stuff:
  • This is the biggest map in any Assassin's Creed game (probably not too surprising). There are lots of different biomes (forest, beast, snowy mountains).
  • There are map regions that are separate from the main storyline and have self contained plotlines you can choose to engage in.
  • The game is made by ten different studios: Ubisoft Quebec (Lead, made AC: Syndicate), Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft Montpellier, Ubisoft Kiev, Ubisoft Bucharest, Ubisoft Shanghai, Ubisoft Pune, Ubisoft Singapore, Sperasoft, and Technicolor Games (the last two are contractors).
  • The game will have a live service with post launch updates similar to Origins.
  • They're not talking about if Discovery Tour is in yet, which implies it's in.
  • They're going all in on modern day content, though based on another interview, it sounds like it's optional this time.
  • They have more quests where you can solve them non-violently. I'll just quote this one here. "We have a few quests where the objective is 'deal with it.'" he said. "For example, 'this guy owes me money, ok, deal with it.' You can go there and kill him and take the money. Or you can go and ask. Or loot the treasure box in his house."
  • Some of the romance options are with people who are already in relationships, so going and romancing the person can mess with their other relationships.
  • The game has "30 hours of interactive storytelling". To be clear, they're not talking about the length of the game here. There are 13 different ways to interact with people in conversations (with the number of options per conversation varying).
  • "Most characters in the game can join your ship's crew". This includes most enemies and many civilians. They will offer stat bonuses and perks. They can also serve as land based distractions for stealth players.
  • They redid stealth so it's worthwhile experience point wise and gave you a lot more stealth options ability wise.
  • You can now map 4+ moves to face buttons (or bumpers) so you have way more options in combat. The skills and abilities are also notably more in-depth in terms of what they do, especially after you upgrade them.
  • There's a city state based power system where you can kill regional leaders to weaken a city state, which not only makes the actual leader of the city state easier to kill, but can also trigger things like an invasion from neighboring city states who want to take over. There are 27 city states in total.
  • There will be battles with up to 300 combatants. Get it? Get it???
  • The game has multiple endings.
  • Edit: Since people are asking, social stealth is not returning.
There's way more at the link and more about each topic I talked about as well.

Last edited:

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What about all the early rumors of building/renovating a la Brotherhood?

Oct 25, 2017
The game is made by ten different studios: Ubisoft Quebec (Lead, made AC: Syndicate), Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft Montpellier, Ubisoft Kiev, Ubisoft Bucharest, Ubisoft Shanghai, Ubisoft Pune, Ubisoft Singapore, Sperasoft, and Technicolor Games (the last two are contractors).
This sounds like a lot of fun to manage.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is exactly the type of progress I wanted to see from Origins to Odyssey. It's almost like they asked me to work out a design doc for the next AC game. Especially the player choice stuff. Origin was incredibly fun, but it did become repetitive after a while. This sounds like it's giving players a lot more options to approach situations including just talking your way into/out of a situation.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long they can say "biggest world ever" for each new AC game lol

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is all sounds incredible, I'm liking the RPG approach to AC, it got boring with the 3rd game where the only way to progress was to do a few missions then jump-kill the leader with your dagger. Everything I keep hearing about in this game makes the game climb higher on my favourite games ever potential.

Didn't they say blending into the crowd stealth is returning?

KINGofCRA5H

Oct 25, 2017
Napa, CA
TEN different studios? No wonder they're able to churn these out while maintaining the quality.

Those details sound great. October is STACKED

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Biggest map ever is not a selling point after I experienced the vastness of origins

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I'll ask in this thread since I liked a lot how Odyssey looked. Is there a retail release of Origins with everything included? If not, is there going to be?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Really hoping this entry is designed to optimize functionality with a minimal HUD in mind - their worlds are so gorgeous and they just pollute them with HUD screen space and icons.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Mini-games? ....Are they bringing mini-games back? Sad to see those out of Origins, Syndicate, and Unity.
(Though the detective missions in Unity and Syndicate were quite fun, too.)

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
This all sounds dope
I just wrapped up AC: Origins Curse of the Pharoahs which may be my favorite piece of content from AC, I really enjoyed the lean into the supernatural elements and I'm hoping that AC: O2 continues that trend

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
We take these series for granted. If it wasn't an AC Game people would be hailing it as the second coming just like Origins.

Oct 30, 2017
Map size is a turn off. Origins was the first AC game I've enjoyed to any degree, but I still didn't finish it. There was just too much, and none of it particularly engaging. Just 'CONTENT', as far as the eye could see.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good, but biggest map isn't really a draw. Origins already had a huge map. I'd rather see more density than landmass personally, granted that doesn't work with every setting.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
In for dialogue choices, romance and improved stealth. This looks great.

Seems like they've given up on social stealth for AC; I hope it eventually comes back in Watch_Dogs where it probably fits better.

Bit of a bummer that Sarah Schachner is not returning for the score; she did stellar work on Origins (and significant contributions to Black Flag and Unity.)

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bigger isn't always better!!!! Personally can't stand maps that are stupidly big especially when you don't interact or even pay attention to 3/4 of it all.

The game looks alright I will probs pick it up in a sale but too many AC games get released UBI need to chill out with this series and make some new IP.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft should have made AC into an RPG years ago, and drop the animus bullshit.

Anyway, Odyssey sounds like most interesting and ambitious AC game to date. Who would have thunk? From the first screens it looked like a total reskinjob.

Now if only they could also drop the disgusting HUD UI.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the huge map is due to sailing being a major element in the game. All those open waters. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual landmass is relatively the same as Origins.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I hope the combat is more interesting than origins, I loved origins but hated the combat compared to the older ac games.

Oct 27, 2017
If you would've told me before E3 that my most anticipated game coming out of E3 would've been AC Odyssey I'd laugh at you, especially since I finally gave up on the series after Origins.

But with the lack of detail, gameplay, poor showings and not much new announcements I like here we are.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
AC: Origins was the first game I've platinumed and one of my top 3 games in my 30 years of gaming; I've already pre-ordered the Gold version of Odyssey. At first it did just seem like a reskin of Origins, but I'm really digging the dialogue choices, large-scale battles, world traversal, and the more fleshed out side content. I was pretty much sold the moment they described the game as an "epic RPG". I can understand how it would put off fans of the older entries in the series, but as someone who jumped on with Origins, the RPG elements and exploration are what brought me in and what made me stay.

Though in the interest of full disclosure, my most anticipated game of E3 is Resident Evil 2. Now if we could only get an actual release date for Ace Combat 7.

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft should have made AC into an RPG years ago, and drop the animus bullshit.

Anyway, Odyssey sounds like most interesting and ambitious AC game to date. Who would have thunk? From the first screens it looked like a total reskinjob.

Now if only they could also drop the disgusting HUD UI.

I really hope so.

Game looks stunning and it would benefit a lot from having a minimalist UI.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you would've told me before E3 that my most anticipated game coming out of E3 would've been AC Odyssey I'd laugh at you, especially since I finally gave up on the series after Origins.

But with the lack of detail, gameplay, poor showings and not much new announcements I like here we are.
Oddysee is my E3 game "winner" and currently my 2018 most anticipated title.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
This us sounding more and more like my GoTY

I dug the hell out of Syndicate, so having them lead this project is even more exciting.

I'm hoping the main narrative is less sloppy than it was in Oranges. I loved Bayek, but halfway through that game I had no idea what the fuck was happening.

Oct 27, 2017
Oddysee is my E3 game "winner" and currently my 2018 most anticipated title.
Same, I did a complete 180 on it.

This us sounding more and more like my GoTY

I dug the hell out of Syndicate, so having them lead this project is even more exciting.

I'm hoping the main narrative is less sloppy than it was in Oranges. I loved Bayek, but halfway through that game I had no idea what the fuck was happening.
The pacing was bad in Origins too, towards the end I kept thinking it was wrapping up but it kept going.

Oct 25, 2017
It might be because I liked origins...

but I am looking forward to Odyssey way more than I was Origins to its lead up to release. And I am of the opinion that Egypt is more interesting than Greece.

Oct 25, 2017
  • There's a city state based power system where you can kill regional leaders to weaken a city state, which not only makes the actual leader of the city state easier to kill, but can also trigger things like an invasion from neighboring city states who want to take over. There are 27 city states in total.
Whaaaat. This all sounds dope, this is shaping up to be my most anticipated game of the year.