• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no clue how this happened. I have absolutely no clue how to fix it.

Turned HDR on in ACO to see what it looked like. Rebooted the game after changing multiple graphics settings. HDR looked like trash. Turned it off and rebooted the game. Game looks fine and doesn't display in HDR.

But now my PC displays everything else in HDR. Even with HDR turned off.

I'm honestly at a complete loss as to what is happening. Everything it outputs to my external monitor looks like gamma-raised trash because the monitor believes that it's outputting HDR when it's just outputting a standard signal. I've tried multiple monitors and thus confirmed that the problem is with the PC itself.

At a complete loss. Someone who knows what the problem is might scoff at the title of this thread, but I really don't know what to say. At this point I might have to wipe the entire computer. If anyone knows what the fuck is going on, please let me know.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Windows 10 HDR is a mess. Turn off HDR & WCG in Windows 10 display settings and then change the output to RGB 8 bit in nvidia control panel. When it turns off, change it to whatever you want.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure your display hasn't changed from Full to Limited or vice versa? That happens with me everytime I update Nvidia drivers and restart my computer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried the hdr windows toggle? Or re installing the graphics driver?
HDR is toggled off, and I rolled back my Geforce driver.

Windows 10 HDR is a mess. Turn off HDR & WCG in Windows 10 display settings and then change the output to RGB 8 bit in nvidia control panel. When it turns off, change it to whatever you want.
THANK YOU, this provided, at the very least, a temporary fix. Now the issue is that whenever I return to "set color to default / let applications decide," it goes back to the faux-HDR. So something is clearly still wrong, but at least this is a workable override.

What a fucking disaster, I'm familiar with console and 4K player HDR, this is the first and the last time I ever touch it on PCs. One little toggle in a game somehow seems to have really fucked this entire workstation up.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
HDR is toggled off, and I rolled back my Geforce driver.

THANK YOU, this provided, at the very least, a temporary fix. Now the issue is that whenever I return to "set color to default / let applications decide," it goes back to the faux-HDR. So something is clearly still wrong, but at least this is a workable override.

What a fucking disaster, I'm familiar with console and 4K player HDR, this is the first and the last time I ever touch it on PCs. One little toggle in a game somehow seems to have really fucked this entire workstation up.
Uninstall Nvidia driver then re install

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I'm now curious if this game is exclusive full screen or not as I've only had HDR issues on pc when a game is not full screen exclusive.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry this happened to you.
I kinda have a weird set-up where I plug my computer to a standard monitor (full HD, no HDR) or to my TV (4K, HDR).
I play ACO on one or the other depending on time of day, the game and Windows's HDR automatically triggers on the TV but not on monitor because it seems to know on what it is plugged to.

Also, ACO with HDR via Windows 10 looks gorgeous, you may have a wrong setting somewhere (game HDR settings, blue-light mode, maybe something else).8

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Setting up DDU at the moment. Thanks all again for the help.
Also, ACO with HDR via Windows 10 looks gorgeous, you may have a wrong setting somewhere (game HDR settings, blue-light mode, maybe something else).8
Oh I'm sure it does look great once everything's properly configured, considering how good it looks in SDR. Now I've been sufficiently spooked that I won't touch it on PC though, I should not be dealing with such a clusterfuck just from innocuously toggling one setting.

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
The game did the same to me. Was kinda the last straw that made me decide to get an One X. 4K on Windows is kind of a hassle. Also gaming in 1080p when TV is set to 4K doesn't always work. I get that weird green screen bug a lot of people seem to get.

Melubas

Jan 4, 2018
Would rebooting windows to a previous state work? Or maybe you did stuff on it you don't want to lose.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Nvidia's latest drivers (400xx) are a complete mess with HDR. Uninstall with DDU and use their latest 399xx driver.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fresh driver reinstall now causes it to output HDR even with the 8-bit option enabled under Nvidia settings.

Literally about to start fucking crying, never touching HDR on PCs again

EDIT: I reinstalled the newest driver, I'll wipe it again and install a 399xx one instead. If that doesn't work then I might have to just wipe the computer

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You need to go into the time savers store and buy the 'turn HDR off' MXT

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need to go into the time savers store and buy the 'turn HDR off' MXT
Not funny my dude I sat down to try this game out on PC after a long day and have instead spent multiple hours trying to fix my primary workstation

EDIT: YCbCr422 8 bpc magically brings everything back to normal, despite it not making a single conceivable ounce of sense that that one particular combination would do anything differently from the others.

I cannot even believe this shit, HDR is fucked on Windows

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Did you use DDU in safe mode? Have to do that to clean everything 100%. I'm sure it's just a setting that turned on globally when you enabled HDR though, doesn't sound like a normal thing to happen. Make sure it's turned off on both OS level and the Nvidia control panel. Does your monitor support HDR? Or are you using a TV?

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My apologies, I hope you find a solution soon
No that's my bad I was just being testy. I already had to buy the XP booster so the thought of more MTX is too much...

I'm going to DDU in safe mode and reinstall back to a 399xx driver. If that doesn't fix it then it's a ghost in the machine causing issues and I need an exorcist
Here you go

Since some older versions aren't available on the geforce site guru3d is a lifesaver.
Thanks, this was the exact site I got it from, I'm going to bookmark it since it seems pretty useful.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
Jeeesus... This sounds like a nightmare.. Which i love just tinkering with pc stuff.. But this is also one of several reasons I stick with consoles. Hope you figure it out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "scorched earth" approach of DDU in safe mode and reinstalling to a 3.99xx driver appears to have worked. Everything is back to normal, HDR looks as shitty as ever but thankfully it actually obeys me now when I toggle it on and off.

It almost feels like there's a Poe-esque "Imp of the Perverse" on my shoulder egging me on to actually try getting HDR properly calibrated in Odyssey now that this debacle's been fixed, but I think I'll let it be for now and quit while I'm ahead.

I'll request to have the thread locked since the crisis was averted, thanks all for the assistance, you are gentlemen/ladies and scholars.

Status
Not open for further replies.