• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason you felt the need to dismiss my thoughts on the game more than once, insult my ability to read, and to call me a sterling faithful all because I posted my thoughts on a game you enjoyed and I didn't.
When at any point did I call the game bad? I've posted a lot about the game and if I remember correctly the only thing I was very negative about was how much I disliked the side quests I did and what effect that had on my ability to play through the main quest, which I was enjoying. What I said about them is no different to what you just said about Rockstar's gameplay.

Should people that enjoy Rockstars gameplay now dismiss your thoughts on it? Call you out for not even playing the games? Rockstar designed their games around that gameplay you just didn't like it because "reasons". It's just so dismissive and adds nothing.

My issues with the microtransactions have nothing to do with how well Ubisoft does them compared to other developers and more to do with locking a gameplay option that would have improved my experience behind a paywall. What normally would have been a cheat code is now $10.

As for the new Assassins Creed not being for me anymore I would agree. If they make the next one just like Odyessy I won't be buying it.
Relevant to the discussion:

In Origins, there was no level scaling so you quickly outlevelled everything and combat became easy and trivialized in underlevelled areas. People spoke up and pointed out how this affected their experiences in those areas. They then added in the option to scale levels so this wouldn't be a problem.

In Odyssey, as opposed to adding it in later like in Origins, they started with level scaling as the default, probably to avoid having the same issue Origins had where certain areas quickly become trivialized if you didn't visit them early on. They are now patching in an option to tweak the level scaling to make things easier, if you choose. I think the default now is that enemies lower than two levels below your own level will simply scale up to two levels below your own level. Enemies two levels below you and up stay that way.

...that makes no sense. At all. If anything Origins was more grindy because stuff wouldn't scale to your level, netting you less XP

As per established general mechanics of RPGs and AC-Origins, this is all true. So, seeing as how I got it slightly wrong and you got it completely wrong, I was inclined to chalk it up to a difference of opinion and maybe hazy memory but you're just making it seem like I'm attacking you personally when despite having played Origins you've got the facts about it about as wrong as I did when I haven't even played it. A rational person would read how Ubi decided to stick the requested feature in as the default behavior for Odyssey and admit mistake about their faulty "This is AAA greed" logic, but you've just brazenly gone about this entire thing painting me as a fanboy while arguing in bad faith. I didn't mention this in my previous reply as I wanted to stop our discussion amicably but you've conveniently ignored facts more than once and now I'm not going to assume it wasn't an honest mistake or difference of opinion. It was just the kind of toxic bs that "AAA industry bad" crowd bring to a game discussion.

You've conveniently been painting me as an Ubi fan and the fact of the matter is that the last Ubi game I played before Odyssey was Black Flag and I had pretty much given up on Ubi till I read up on how good their GaaS approach has been recently. To be honest, I still don't completely trust Ubi but w.r.t. Odyssey, the monetisation is anything but exploitative. There are huge problems with Odyssey, namely, its map is too big for the amount of actual relevant content it has got, it bugs out regularly on normal PS4 (the last time I checked) and sometimes even on the Pro. Hell, I had at least two broken subquests when I finished the game. It isn't a perfect game, but monetisation is the last thing wrong with it, especially since it's not even front and centre during gameplay.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm really not a fan of making these expansions episodic. The first expansion in particular isn't appealing at all as piece meal content because it hardly differentiates itself from the shit ton of content in the base game already. They should have just kept the model they had with the Origins expansions.
Agreed. The Origins expansions are probably the best expansions this gen excluding the Witcher ones. The new one feels a bit cheap compared to those.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
DLC is very much a work in progress so take any time-based numbers below as guidelines.

The first episode of the Legacy of the Hidden Blade DLC is about four hours long, with a main quest line, its own set of side quests, and a few memorable story moments along the way. A lot of it is setting up future episodes but it does conclude its own portion of the story arc fairly well. The DLC introduces The Order and this part works like hunting the cultists from the main game. The other episodes will likely be of similar length and follow a similar structure so this bit of DLC is...let's guess at 12 hours long.

The Lost Tales of Greece quests are, I think, actually a bit better so far, and those are free for everyone. There's four of them - The Show Must Go On (themed around Greek theatre), A Divine Intervention (themed around Greek gods), The Image of Faith (themed around hero worship) and today's new one, The Daughters of Lalaia (a relatively basic defend-the-village storyline). These probably average out to an hour of playtime each.

We know very little about the other 3 paid DLC episodes apart from the name, The Fate of Atlantis, and the one-sentence description from Ubisoft saying it "will set players against mythic creatures while they uncover the mysteries of the fabled sunken city of Atlantis". I'd assume that each of the three episodes will be similarly-sized to the Hidden Blade episodes.

The rest of the DLC included in the season pass is other games - remasters of both Assassin's Creed III and Liberation. ACIII remastered should be quite interesting for fans of the series since lots of ACIII's well-known flaws shouldn't be too difficult to fix. ACIII is a relatively long game by the standards of Assassin's Creed games pre-Origins (probably 30+ hours depending on how interested you are in the game). Liberation is one of the shorter games in the series (probably about 10 hours long).
Thanks a lot, think I'll hold of for now, as I'll rather play it in 1 big go and thought more was out.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does this mean exactly?

"- Enemy scaling option, you can choose to have all enemies being at your same level, or at lower levels"

Does this mean you dont literally have to do everything to gain levels just to ejoy the game/story, or? Can someone who has played since this update please explain? thanks.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Any news on when NG+ is supposed to hit? Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I have a feeling I'll finish the game this week and I'd love to jump in and make some different choices for the story!

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
What does this mean exactly?

"- Enemy scaling option, you can choose to have all enemies being at your same level, or at lower levels"

Does this mean you dont literally have to do everything to gain levels just to ejoy the game/story, or? Can someone who has played since this update please explain? thanks.
Enemy scaling means lower level enemies will scale within a certain range of your level, which you can now set.

On the "standard" difficulty level that's within 2 levels of your own. That means if you return to an area where the recommended level was 14 and you are now 20, enemies will scale to level ~18. In that case, going to a level 25 area will still have enemies at level 25, which would destroy you because of how damage is calculated.

This range of scaling is different depending on the difficulty. The hardest difficulty has all enemies scaled to your level (in this example Lvl.20), while the lowest goes up to four levels below you (in this example Lvl.16), which makes them die super fast. This gives you the option to set the level scaling like the hardest difficulty and the lowest, regardless of your actual difficulty level.

At no point did you "literally have to do everything to game levels just to ejoy the game/story", levels are obtained super fast from Normal difficulty upwards. However scaling down the levels will probably make it so that you have to do more stuff to reach higher levels since XP rewards and gear obtained from quests are based on the levels.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a "Sterling faithful" and I bought Odyssey recently on sale. I'm not seeing the "grind" (at level 26) at all but then I'm enjoying clearing out the camps/ side quests etc. I don't particularly have problems killing mercenaries a few levels higher either.

That said I get why Jim gives no quarter on this stuff - "give them an inch..."

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are these DLCs adding new regions to the map? That should almost be mandatory for this type of game

First one isn't (at least the first part of it), it takes place in some of the areas that weren't really used in the main game. 2nd one obviously will have to have a new area.

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is so easy to get distracted in this game by all the camps and caves that unless you really go from point A to point B on the main quest without taking any single detour, then you obviously are going to miss levels, but I really feel that the game is designed to make you try all the stuff in the map, otherwise the game would be super boring

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a "Sterling faithful" and I bought Odyssey recently on sale. I'm not seeing the "grind" (at level 26) at all but then I'm enjoying clearing out the camps/ side quests etc. I don't particularly have problems killing mercenaries a few levels higher either.

That said I get why Jim gives no quarter on this stuff - "give them an inch..."
It's not bad at all imo (I've hit 50 with still half the map unexplored), was also really surprised at how smooth it was to get to Lvl 50 after all the complaining, was kinda annoyed to discover that Lvl 70 is the new cap though, had been planning on upgrading all my favourite gear once I hit 50, but that'll have to wait.

Neolombax

Nov 28, 2018
I would like to see new mythical creatures, like harpies, or centaurs, chimeras and not just giants/ogres. Apart from that, Ubisoft seems really committed with these steady stream of contents and updates. Kudos to them.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Relevant to the discussion:

As per established general mechanics of RPGs and AC-Origins, this is all true. So, seeing as how I got it slightly wrong and you got it completely wrong, I was inclined to chalk it up to a difference of opinion and maybe hazy memory but you're just making it seem like I'm attacking you personally when despite having played Origins you've got the facts about it about as wrong as I did when I haven't even played it. A rational person would read how Ubi decided to stick the requested feature in as the default behavior for Odyssey and admit mistake about their faulty "This is AAA greed" logic, but you've just brazenly gone about this entire thing painting me as a fanboy while arguing in bad faith. I didn't mention this in my previous reply as I wanted to stop our discussion amicably but you've conveniently ignored facts more than once and now I'm not going to assume it wasn't an honest mistake or difference of opinion. It was just the kind of toxic bs that "AAA industry bad" crowd bring to a game discussion.

You've conveniently been painting me as an Ubi fan and the fact of the matter is that the last Ubi game I played before Odyssey was Black Flag and I had pretty much given up on Ubi till I read up on how good their GaaS approach has been recently. To be honest, I still don't completely trust Ubi but w.r.t. Odyssey, the monetisation is anything but exploitative. There are huge problems with Odyssey, namely, its map is too big for the amount of actual relevant content it has got, it bugs out regularly on normal PS4 (the last time I checked) and sometimes even on the Pro. Hell, I had at least two broken subquests when I finished the game. It isn't a perfect game, but monetisation is the last thing wrong with it, especially since it's not even front and centre during gameplay.

My feelings coming from Origins to Odyssey makes complete sense. I was so confused on why I had such a different experience with Odyssey than I did with Origins. Thanks to CopperPuppy pointing out that Origins didn't have level scaling and instead had flat levels it finally made sense why I bounce off so quick. If it had the same leveling scaling that Odyssey has, you would both have a point but it's not. The enemies are more damage sponges in Odyssey because they are leveling with me. Scenario: I enter an old area with some quests I need to do to be able to do the main quest. I don't want to do them but if I want to proceed the story I have no choice. In Origins, I could easily do those quest with no thought. I am overlevel for them. Skip all dialog and get on with it. Yeah the enemies don't give me more experience but the quest will give me whatever it says. Regardless of my level. It's easy.

Odyssey isn't the same. Now I have enemies that take way more hits. They can pose a threat to me now. And if the enemies are taking more time to kill that's more time spent doing something I don't find fun. So in makes it feel more grindy.

I don't feel like going back and grabbing your posts towards me but maybe you could go back and read your posts towards me. They are immediately antagonistic. That's what usually happens when someone says something a fanboy doesn't like. Maybe you aren't a Assassin Creed fanboy and instead that's just the way you post.

What facts have I completely ignored? I don't like how they added the option to turn off level scaling into the game at a later date. It should have been there from the beginning. Whether they did it for reasons of greed or not doesn't matter. Because of the presence of mircotransactions it looks bad to me. Like I said earlier it reminds of what Shadow of War did. The double experience MT should have been a mode for people to choose. Not a paid option. Also you seem very sure that anyone that has any problems with the way games are monetized are completely delusional and toxic. Again here you are completely dismissing peoples opinions on things just because you don't agree. If I think the way games are monetized are negative and hurting the industry it doesn't mean I am suddenly toxic. I just don't like how integrated they are into games. I don't like how things that used to be cheat codes are now things we have to pay for. That doesn't make me toxic. We just don't agree.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
My feelings coming from Origins to Odyssey makes complete sense. I was so confused on why I had such a different experience with Odyssey than I did with Origins. Thanks to CopperPuppy pointing out that Origins didn't have level scaling and instead had flat levels it finally made sense why I bounce off so quick. If it had the same leveling scaling that Odyssey has, you would both have a point but it's not. The enemies are more damage sponges in Odyssey because they are leveling with me. Scenario: I enter an old area with some quests I need to do to be able to do the main quest. I don't want to do them but if I want to proceed the story I have no choice. In Origins, I could easily do those quest with no thought. I am overlevel for them. Skip all dialog and get on with it. Yeah the enemies don't give me more experience but the quest will give me whatever it says. Regardless of my level. It's easy.

Odyssey isn't the same. Now I have enemies that take way more hits. They can pose a threat to me now. And if the enemies are taking more time to kill that's more time spent doing something I don't find fun. So in makes it feel more grindy.

I don't feel like going back and grabbing your posts towards me but maybe you could go back and read your posts towards me. They are immediately antagonistic. That's what usually happens when someone says something a fanboy doesn't like. Maybe you aren't a Assassin Creed fanboy and instead that's just the way you post.

What facts have I completely ignored? I don't like how they added the option to turn off level scaling into the game at a later date. It should have been there from the beginning. Whether they did it for reasons of greed or not doesn't matter. Because of the presence of mircotransactions it looks bad to me. Like I said earlier it reminds of what Shadow of War did. The double experience MT should have been a mode for people to choose. Not a paid option. Also you seem very sure that anyone that has any problems with the way games are monetized are completely delusional and toxic. Again here you are completely dismissing peoples opinions on things just because you don't agree. If I think the way games are monetized are negative and hurting the industry it doesn't mean I am suddenly toxic. I just don't like how integrated they are into games. I don't like how things that used to be cheat codes are now things we have to pay for. That doesn't make me toxic. We just don't agree.

But it sounds like what you don't "find fun" is the act of actually playing the game. Why not just Youtube the story portions and move on?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I tried a few hours of this on Google Stream and it was pretty good. The graphics didn't do it for me though, can't wait to dive into the 'free' PC copy in a couple weeks with this extra stuff added.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I would like to see new mythical creatures, like harpies, or centaurs, chimeras and not just giants/ogres. Apart from that, Ubisoft seems really committed with these steady stream of contents and updates. Kudos to them.
Iirc they said they're going more mythological with the Atlantis expansion.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enemy scaling means lower level enemies will scale within a certain range of your level, which you can now set.

On the "standard" difficulty level that's within 2 levels of your own. That means if you return to an area where the recommended level was 14 and you are now 20, enemies will scale to level ~18. In that case, going to a level 25 area will still have enemies at level 25, which would destroy you because of how damage is calculated.

This range of scaling is different depending on the difficulty. The hardest difficulty has all enemies scaled to your level (in this example Lvl.20), while the lowest goes up to four levels below you (in this example Lvl.16), which makes them die super fast. This gives you the option to set the level scaling like the hardest difficulty and the lowest, regardless of your actual difficulty level.

At no point did you "literally have to do everything to game levels just to ejoy the game/story", levels are obtained super fast from Normal difficulty upwards. However scaling down the levels will probably make it so that you have to do more stuff to reach higher levels since XP rewards and gear obtained from quests are based on the levels.
Thanks for the detailed reply. :)

haolee510

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I'm aware. You can criticize something even if there is an alternative.
It's good, IMO. A group of people hating on the game has been giving them so much shit in regards to level-scaling, to the point of completely ignoring all the good things in the game and focusing on that one single aspect to justify saying the game is "trash".

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad at all imo (I've hit 50 with still half the map unexplored), was also really surprised at how smooth it was to get to Lvl 50 after all the complaining, was kinda annoyed to discover that Lvl 70 is the new cap though, had been planning on upgrading all my favourite gear once I hit 50, but that'll have to wait.
Huh I didn't realise the level cap had changed, but if there's content to back it up that's cool. I'm a sucker for making the numbers get bigger even if it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'll need to check if that makes a difference to getting the plat when I get home.

Marluxia

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait for the scaling update. I hate enemies scaling to my level, that's unfair.

Fantastic game though. I really like this game.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The game that keeps on giving.

I have the season pass but I am waiting for all the episodes of the first story to be out before I carry on with it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Huh I didn't realise the level cap had changed, but if there's content to back it up that's cool. I'm a sucker for making the numbers get bigger even if it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'll need to check if that makes a difference to getting the plat when I get home.
It shouldn't change the Plat, you still get the trophy for getting lvl 50.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Quick question and apologies if its going over old territory.

I am lvl 32 currently - I don't own any DLC as of yet, should I just carry on with the stories / cult hunting etc and not even worry about the DLC until XYZ time in the future? Am I losing anything by not owning it yet?

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
So far I'm at 38% after 67 hours, all this extra content makes me think I should get a move on with the main story.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently:

February: Discovery Tour
March: AC3 Remastered + DLC 1 part 3
April: DLC 2 part 1
May: Animus option on PC
June: DLC 2 part 2
July: DLC 2 part 3

And new quests in Greece , Mercenary, Ships, Gear, mercenary tiers, and new mythological creatures (gorgones sisters!)
Is all that included for Gold Edition owners?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like paid cosmetics in the single-player anymore.

The end-game legendary pieces come in way too late, I am shuffling the same pool of mediocre assassin or warrior equipment, and I have to change into the ugly ass bucket helms or plates for the stats increase. I don't want to play the game with the trash looking warrior character, this game isn't MMO where you progress to the end-game armor and then play more...

Is this reasonable? Am I asking too much?

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is all that included for Gold Edition owners?

Yes

The end-game legendary pieces come in way too late, I am shuffling the same pool of mediocre assassin or warrior equipment, and I have to change into the ugly ass bucket helms or plates for the stats increase. I don't want to play the game with the trash looking warrior character, this game isn't MMO where you progress to the end-game armor and then play more...

You can change the looks of your armor with whatever you have owned before.

So for example you can use a helmet for its stats, and then change the looks of it for whatever helmet you want

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017

Just change the visuals on the equipment, keep the stats but look however you want it to look.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They've fixed that in November already.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Thank God for the level scaling options. Assuming they work as intended.

Easily the biggest most fixable flaw in the game for me and a few reviewers.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
But it sounds like what you don't "find fun" is the act of actually playing the game. Why not just Youtube the story portions and move on?
I always find that a bit of a cop-out answer in these scenarios.

Many of these modern complex games have a ton of (distinct) components which constitute their "gameplay". Removing one specific component from that in some specific situations does not make the experience the same as watching a video.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So, enemy scaling as an option, I like this.

Too many times I have to juggle enemy scaling in some games to try not to be too OP vs trying to not weaken XP and money. Borderlands comes to mind. Go in a harder area early, they dont scale when you come back with better stats, they stay locked near the level you came in the first time.. There were a few spots where they scaled regardless.

I like this option.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Sounds good. I picked up Origins and Oddysee for cheap (never really cared much for this series but I need something to fill that Witcher 3 shaped black hole in my life), seems I have quite some stuff to do in the next few months.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I always find that a bit of a cop-out answer in these scenarios.

Many of these modern complex games have a ton of (distinct) components which constitute their "gameplay". Removing one specific component from that in some specific situations does not make the experience the same as watching a video.

But what he's complaining about in the "grind" is basically that fighting and killing things is annoying him...but that's a core part of the gameplay.

Edit: this is to say that, if the complaint was say, "I don't like having to be play boat combat or win races to get levels", or to pick another game, Just Cause, where so much of the fun upgrades require beating a bunch of side content which isn't part of the core "blow stuff up and shoot dudes" gameplay, I get that.

His complaints though, they seem to come from a place of not enjoying fighting enemies that pose any kind of challenge, and that's pretty core to what the game is.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
im waiting for the free copy before i cont this game.

quick question do people think the season pass is worth it?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When is the second DLC part going to unlock?

Also any news about the ac3 remastered version that is included in the season pass?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
im waiting for the free copy before i cont this game.

quick question do people think the season pass is worth it?

What we had so far wasn't bad but it was rather short. Of course there is still a lot to come so judging the entire season pass right now is rather impossible...
All I can say is: the content so far is better then the first AC origins DLC, worse then the second AC origins DLC.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they raised the cap to 70, I hit 50 with so much of the game left to go.

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing this when RDR2 came out and I kind of regret it considering how bored I am of RDR2. But these updates, more specifically the level scaling is huge news for me. Looks like it's time to redownload and start over tbh. I feel like I've forgotten the game that I need a fresh start

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad they raised the cap to 70, I hit 50 with so much of the game left to go.
I was pretty much set skill wise around lvl40ish ( just need to upgrade my Spear to be pretty much done with the skill tree), so was planning on building up my armour sets and weapons at max lvl, as I really don't care about the number going up at this point and would have prefered not having to care for that at all anymore. It's whatever though, I have a lot of game to go too.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the explanation on how scaling works, because I was a little confused. But I do have another question -- it seems like the "default" and "medium" scaling options are the same (enemies scale up to 2 levels below you). Is this right? Is there a difference?

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if by the end of the day the level cap will be raised to 100? Still, I dont really feel the level differences until certain point, although I haven't played that much with the stats modifiers, since I feel that wasting one ability point on them isn't worthy, since the increase feels marginal compared to just unlock another ability just for the sake of having it.

At least I appreciate how cheap is to rebuild your skill tree, it makes posible to try multiple builds depending on the situation, so maybe for some very end game missions I would only pick 2 abilities and then waste the rest on stats

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I just finished Origins. Need to recover from all that content. And this has even more? Have mercy.
This game literally has infinite missions. Like, Ubisoft discovered how to make an infinite game. With cutscenes and all. It's crazy.

Now that they achieved that I hope they focus on depth next time around, but still, it's very remarkable.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I stopped playing this when RDR2 came out and I kind of regret it considering how bored I am of RDR2. But these updates, more specifically the level scaling is huge news for me. Looks like it's time to redownload and start over tbh. I feel like I've forgotten the game that I need a fresh start

I did the same thing and returning to this was like a palate cleanser for me! Get back to it!

If it helps I didn't have an issue to get back into it.