• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want to buy cosmetic packs in a single player game (plus I found them very expensive), but some of them are cool, is there anyway to get them in game?

I already own the fire horse after beating the mercenaries

Oct 27, 2017
The cynical in me says they only added level scaling options now because they already skimmed everyone who was willing to buy that XP booster.

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The cynical in me says they only added level scaling options now because they already skimmed everyone who was willing to buy that XP booster.

Wasn't the level criticism more related to the level restriction that some missions required? because if I'm not wrong, the level scaling wouldnt fix that

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I can't believe people are giving shit to this update. Goes to show how far fake outrage can go.

I think you misunderstand. Just to clarify:

In Origins, there was no level scaling so you quickly outlevelled everything and combat became easy and trivialized in underlevelled areas. People spoke up and pointed out how this affected their experiences in those areas. They then added in the option to scale levels so this wouldn't be a problem.

In Odyssey, as opposed to adding it in later like in Origins, they started with level scaling as the default, probably to avoid having the same issue Origins had where certain areas quickly become trivialized if you didn't visit them early on. They are now patching in an option to tweak the level scaling to make things easier, if you choose. I think the default now is that enemies lower than two levels below your own level will simply scale up to two levels below your own level. Enemies two levels below you and up stay that way.
This is not entirely right IMO. Even if the enemies were way under leveled they were more effective or as effective than enemies being 2 levels below you in Origins.

You could still walk into a mob and get killed if you were not careful.

For example, I was at level 30 in Origins and enemies at level 22-23 were as effective as Odyssey's enemies at level 28.

So I think there is a bigger difference. Maybe people seeing the lower number in the levels made them think it was easy, but not exactly.

What a terrible post fueling the fake controversy of the MTX.

Why even come int his thread for a stupid drive-by statement like that?

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the level criticism more related to the level restriction that some missions required? because if I'm not wrong, the level scaling wouldnt fix that

The critism was more that grinding felt unnecessary long and enemies even 1 level above you took forever to kill, creating the impression it was made artificially so to sell the XP booster.
Based on how this level scaling is implemented, the problem may even persist.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the level scaling is all right in this game. Probably the only game where it hasn't bothered me.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question and apologies if its going over old territory.

I am lvl 32 currently - I don't own any DLC as of yet, should I just carry on with the stories / cult hunting etc and not even worry about the DLC until XYZ time in the future? Am I losing anything by not owning it yet?
I suggest carry on playing for a while. The currently available DLC episode doesn't really make big changes the game. At level 32 you probably have enough to do for a while - by the time you're running out of stuff there'll probably be more DLC episodes (which will give you a better idea of whether the DLC is worth it) and maybe a sale on the season pass.

im waiting for the free copy before i cont this game.

quick question do people think the season pass is worth it?
I think it'll depend on how long you play the game.

The game itself has a huge amount of stuff to do so I'd suggest playing it for a while first, get to a reasonably high level and see how you're enjoying the game.

I wonder if by the end of the day the level cap will be raised to 100? Still, I dont really feel the level differences until certain point, although I haven't played that much with the stats modifiers, since I feel that wasting one ability point on them isn't worthy, since the increase feels marginal compared to just unlock another ability just for the sake of having it.
I don't think they'll raise the cap to 100. You can continue to gain ability points at level 70 - you fill an XP bar, get the point, but don't gain a higher-numbered level. That seems like a reasonable compromise.

The mastery abilities (the ones where you add to stats modifiers) will indeed have lots of stats that aren't worth an ability point depending on your build, but there's some pretty great ones. I think the best ones are the one that gives you health back for each attack (it's a tiny percentage of the damage you've dealt but it adds up very quickly) and the one that gives you additional percentage damage for each enemy engaged.

At some point you really just run out of worthwhile abilities from the standard tree anyway, and then every new ability point will go towards a mastery level, and once you've got a moderate amount of points invested in good mastery levels that suit your style, I think you'll feel the difference then.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice stuff i am just about to start the first DLC episode after completing every are of the game during the Holidays.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Thanks for the explanation on how scaling works, because I was a little confused. But I do have another question -- it seems like the "default" and "medium" scaling options are the same (enemies scale up to 2 levels below you). Is this right? Is there a difference?
They're the same if you are in normal difficulty. Any other difficulty and they're different, as the default level scaling is dependent of the difficulty.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to episode 2 of the DLC. I haven't logged back in to play many of the free quests they've added over time as most of it just seems like busy filler work,but the DLC episode was pretty good.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the free extra content being added, are they adding them as new locations in the existing game or are they separate menu options somewhere?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
All the free extra content being added, are they adding them as new locations in the existing game or are they separate menu options somewhere?
The extra free content all exists in the normal game world, so you don't need to access it through a menu but it's all within existing locations (though in some cases like the new mythical creatures the existing locations wouldn't be places you'd normally visit).

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I'm so glad this game is getting so much support. It blew my mind when I continued playing last month when I found out they added the option to costumize your gear appearance

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I just started this game a week or so ago, not that far in. Should I adjust any settings after this patch? Difficulty hasn't been an issue for me. A couple days ago I killed 3 mercenaries and a bear that were 2 levels higher than me without any problems. Also while I am here, is there any way to adjust the quest markers so it's more visible? I have a really hard time seeing the yellow marker 90% of time and I didn't see a way to change it in options, it blends in way too much.

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  • Myrrine will continue to travel to her destination in A Mother's Prayer and The Paros Blockade
1528819750171261382.gif

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Lalaia quest was pretty good, how many Daughters quests are there? I really like the side quests.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The critism was more that grinding felt unnecessary long and enemies even 1 level above you took forever to kill, creating the impression it was made artificially so to sell the XP booster.
Turning level scaling off will only make the grind worse since you'll get less XP
Enemies 1 level above you don't take and haven't taken forever to kill at all in any patch.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's much difference between -4 levels and -arbitrary levels, is there?

That's not the point. When I play an RPG, I don't want the world to revolve around my rank. It's immersion breaking. It's why the best RPG's have high and low zones and you start off in the lowest zone. Odyseey is perfect for this because of the islands where each island can be its own zone.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they're adding new stuff and those missions look fun. But I just put 100 hours into this thing and I need some time apart from it.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Exciting! I'm so happy for the Free PC copy I'm getting after using Google's streaming gaming platform for ACO. Does anyone know if there's anything I need to do or will the full game just appear in my Uplay account after the 15th?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so far away from level 70 (35 now), but 30 free ability points though... Might just hold off on the patch.

May 9, 2018
· Headshots no longer guarantee critical hit and base headshot damage has been increased

· All damage increases from perks are now additive with each other (some were previously multiplicative) to reduce high-damage spikes in specific gear situations

Those madmen, they actually nerfed Hunters. Ugh.

brb removing my +Crit Damage Engravings.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see them supporting the game a lot. I know I've seen a fair amount of people on the subreddit asking for level scaling as an option, so I'm glad they have that choice now.

I wish they'd show off AC3+L Remastered already though. It's out in two months and we haven't seen a single screenshot or bit of gameplay from it. They also haven't detailed the exact changes they're making to the games, which is what I'm interested in in particular. I hope they don't just wait until the last couple of weeks before it releases to show it off.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really want to buy cosmetic packs in a single player game (plus I found them very expensive), but some of them are cool, is there anyway to get them in game?

I already own the fire horse after beating the mercenaries
I don't get why people are so ready to defend MTX in Odyssey. They are still selling MTX in a singleplayer game and still selling a season pass.

If they wanted to sell cosmetics, whatever, sell them on the platform store for a set amount of real money. There is a reason the $10 helix credit purchase comes with 1050 helix credits. Its manipulative and unethical.

Now Ubisoft may be the least unethical of all who use MTX, but they are still unethical.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
The grinding only felt long if you just did the randomly generated garbage quests over and over. Given appropriate gear and player skill, enemies just 1 level above you were still a cakewalk. I had some trouble finding some footage where something was higher level than me (since I leveled so fast), but here's one example where I take out a level 15 mercenary at level 14 in 11 seconds. Do note that you want to play to your strengths: if you're spec'ed for assassination, don't expect to do a lot of damage in overt combat.
https://youtu.be/_18Kv6YUqoE?t=728
And here's one where I kill a level 30 merc at level 28 in 28 seconds. The fight would have been even quicker if I hadn't screwed up so much:
https://youtu.be/-1efcDwKGtY
Finally, here's where I take out a level 46 merc at level 37 while also dodging the attacks of a level 37 merc in 53 seconds which is a time significantly shorter than forever:
https://youtu.be/2vWPRgBHOqU

I should also note that these are all mercs, generally the hardiest enemies that you'll regularly face. Everything else should just melt to your onslaught.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Being able to eliminate the enemies scaling with me is great as I love to dominate and be overpowered especially when I played and completed the game in just over 200 hours. Looking forward to all the extra mini-quests and expansions come July when both have all their respective episodes released.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I bought it around Black Friday, played a little and then forgot about it. It's time to take it up again, I liked it so far.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The Lalaia quest was pretty good, how many Daughters quests are there? I really like the side quests.
There's a Daughters of Artemis questline but it's totally separate to (and very different from) the Daughters of Lalaia quest which is a once off (part of the Lost Tales of Greece additional content).

I don't think there's much difference between -4 levels and -arbitrary levels, is there?
-4 levels might still offer an occasional challenge if, say, several mercenaries gang up on you inside a fort and some of them use fire and you're not paying attention to health management. Other than weird situations like that though, yeah, players will be quickly disposing of enemies that are 4 levels below them, and the only difference will be that they might be getting some worthwhile loot.

It's half-assed though. You can only go 4 levels above the enemies now. Why not just give an option to turn it off? Weird as hell.
Bear in mind that they are worried that even this change will cause the game to become less enjoyable - on the settings screen there is a warning that it can result in "content being too easy and not providing meaningful rewards".

It would also trivialise a lot of the contracts. There's contracts to do things like killing 5 triremes of a certain type, for example. That would not be a meaningful challenge without level scaling - you could just sail around a lower-level area, finding triremes and killing each one with a single arrow volley.

So, will turning this on make it so that no enemies will ever be a higher level than me?
The scaling upgrades lower level enemies to match your level. This new option will allow you to change how close those enemies will be to your level - they can be the same level as you, or two levels below, or four levels below.

Enemies that are higher level than you don't scale down so they'll still be higher level.

Also, will this apply to those damn ships?
It should do, for lower-level ships. The higher-level ships will still be there though, and still be a higher level.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
When is it coming out? Level scaling really sucks in this game. I had 2 level 25 mercenaries after me and i was lvl 23. They were recking me ...

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Good news about the level scaling. The even more needed adjusment is to change the amount of XP you receive for quests. This game has the worst levelling system I have experienced in a game. It artificially inflates an already huge game massively.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Good news about the level scaling. The even more needed adjusment is to change the amount of XP you receive for quests. This game has the worst levelling system I have experienced in a game. It artificially inflates an already huge game massively.
Higher or lower? Because I've been following the main questline, completed only two regions and one island and I'm already level 30.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got the season pass for Christmas but I've been holding off playing it until I can get confirmation on whether the rumour about

being forced into a het relationship and having children

is true. Really hope it isn't ://
Was this ever confirmed? Because this makes or breaks the game for me