• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Wow, I literally started playing this yday and enemies being at my constant level was super jarring so I'm glad they added the scaling option!

I do wish it was just like Origins though with enemy levels tied to zones and not your level. I enjoy being overpowered and feeling like I've made progress like a typical RPG.

So if I'm reading corrrctly once you scale enemies to be lower you automatically get lower tier loot now??

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
When is it coming out? Level scaling really sucks in this game. I had 2 level 25 mercenaries after me and i was lvl 23. They were recking me ...
This patch isn't going to help with things like that. Changing the option changes how many levels lower than you the game will allow enemies to be. The game will still allow enemies to be higher levels than you if the area you're in has higher-level enemies.

So if I'm reading corrrctly once you scale enemies to be lower you automatically get lower tier loot now??
Yes, loot is based on the level of the enemy that dropped it. If you opt to have lower level enemies you'll get lower level loot.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Wow, I literally started playing this yday and enemies being at my constant level was super jarring so I'm glad they added the scaling option!

I do wish it was just like Origins though with enemy levels tied to zones and not your level. I enjoy being overpowered and feeling like I've made progress like a typical RPG.

Level scaling is only an issue in the beginning part of the game or if you want to rush through without doing any side content. The game gives you the opportunity to be OP if you spend some time playing the game and building your character. Most people probably don't know this, but you can level up your engravings. The game tells you exactly what you need to to reach the next tier and even tells you how to get the engravings you haven't unlocked. I'm at the point where I can go in guns blazing into a fort with a level 5 bounty and wipe everyone out.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that makes sense.
Thanks for confirming.

if you're really worried about difficulty i dont know if they ever patched it but you could do a mission on the easiest difficulty (which would lower mission and mob level) and then turn it up to Nightmare before accepting the reward to get high level loot

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
So far the only thing I don't care for is the level scaling so this sounds great. I enjoyed the fact that areas had preset levels to them except that once you hit a certain point they all level up with you making every fight the same level as you. In RPGs the thing I enjoy most about grinding out levels in walking into areas and destroying everything that's lower than you and I don't get that satisfaction in this game.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Enemies already scale with me, I am level 44 at the moment and the enemies around the world are around level 41-43 only some special enemies are above my level so not sure what the point of the enemy scaling is for when the game is already doing that, quests also increase as my level increases.

I want that Athena set though, it looks cool.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Enemies already scale with me, I am level 44 at the moment and the enemies around the world are around level 41-43 only some special enemies are above my level so not sure what the point of the enemy scaling is for when the game is already doing that, quests also increase as my level increases.

enemy scaling is based on difficulty, with the higher difficulty bring stuff to your level and the easiest capping it 4 levels below you

this new patch will just turn this into an option you can toggle for every difficulty (so you can have -4lvl enemies in nightmare or even leveled enemies in easy)

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

It keeps them below your level if you enable the options

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
Level scaling is only an issue in the beginning part of the game or if you want to rush through without doing any side content. The game gives you the opportunity to be OP if you spend some time playing the game and building your character. Most people probably don't know this, but you can level up your engravings. The game tells you exactly what you need to to reach the next tier and even tells you how to get the engravings you haven't unlocked. I'm at the point where I can go in guns blazing into a fort with a level 5 bounty and wipe everyone out.

How have I missed this! Where do I find that info please?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Heads up. The level scaling option doesn't show up in the options until you load into the game, then when you change the setting the game has to reload.

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone has tips to level up my gear? sometimes even leveling up 3 levels is expensive as fuck, and I can't imagine leveling up all my gear to level 70

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Really nice to see all the updates but my return to this game is scheduled for somewhere between late February and early March. Hopefully, all the DLC will be out by then so I can play it and jump straight into the Assassin's Creed 3 Remaster right afterwards.

As much as I despise Ubisoft as an employer, I really enjoy most of their games.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone has tips to level up my gear? sometimes even leveling up 3 levels is expensive as fuck, and I can't imagine leveling up all my gear to level 70

By the time you get to lvl 70 you'll be able to afford pretty much everything as you'll be swimming in resources, but in general I wouldn't bother levelling anything non-Legendary unless you absolutely need to keep it. And even then upgrade it sparingly, such as every 5 levels.

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By the time you get to lvl 70 you'll be able to afford pretty much everything as you'll be swimming in resources, but in general I wouldn't bother levelling anything non-Legendary unless you absolutely need to keep it. And even then upgrade it sparingly, such as every 5 levels.

Yeah, I always dismantle the non legendary and level up each 5 levels around, but I was expecting a more optimal way to upgrade it

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The cost of upgrading gear doesn't change depending on the number of levels you're upgrading, so as a general guideline, only upgrade when you need it.

Legendary armours are all part of a set, and obtaining the last item from a set upgrades the entire set to the level of the last item you obtained. You may therefore want to avoid spending any money upgrading any legendary armour from an incomplete set, as the game will do it for you later for free.

Each mercenary tier has an associated perk. At tier 3, upgrade prices are reduced by 50%. Other tiers reduce the cost of buying items at blacksmiths and upgrading the ship, so all of these are money-savers that will make upgrades easier.

By later in the game, money should start piling up, so the biggest roadblock to upgrades will not be money, it'll be resources (for me it's specifically leather, and I don't imagine it'd be much different for most others). All blacksmiths sell resources so once money stops being a problem it's a good idea to stop at every blacksmith you pass and buy any resources they have.

You probably already know this but on the quest boards in each town and on the Quests tab in your menu, each quest has three icons showing the approximate level of XP, money and resources you can expect as a reward for completing the quest, with the more valuable reward levels coloured gold. If you're really stuck for resources then focusing on quests with good rewards might be an idea, though I think it's usually best to go for XP.

Many locations have war supply crates, the location objective will be to burn them but they can all be looted first. They don't contain massive amounts of resources but every little helps.

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There seems to be a loooooot of conflicting discussion about the scaling in this thread. Should probably be clarified that this is only for enemies lower level than the player, this doesn't change the issue some players have with level gating as it doesn't scale down levels.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, level scaling options might make me want to finally try this game. I still don't like the fact that leveling is even in AC, and I'd heard the leveling in Odyssey was really harsh and made the game grindy.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly, level scaling options might make me want to finally try this game. I still don't like the fact that leveling is even in AC, and I'd heard the leveling in Odyssey was really harsh and made the game grindy.
I didn't find it grindy at all. I did two regions, including side quests, and got to Athens - which is early in the story - as level 30.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow I didn't know they were adding level scaling options. That's amazing for me. I'm a wimp who wants easy combat

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find it grindy at all. I did two regions, including side quests, and got to Athens - which is early in the story - as level 30.

Really I'm just kinda done with these open-world games where you collect shit all over the map and get constantly rewarded with skill points. I guess some of them have enjoyable aspects to them outside that like the controls and story in Spider-Man, and Odyssey's setting looks cool, but then I remember all the collect-a-thons and skill points nagging me and most of these games are just too dense with that shit.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
So I'm going to be starting playing the game soon. With this being nerfed, what would people consider to be a good build?

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Have they mentioned when they're going to stop releasing new content? I don't want to jump in and finish the game until everything is released.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
So I'm going to be starting playing the game soon. With this being nerfed, what would people consider to be a good build?
What's being nerfed?

It's prohibitively expensive to keep gear upgraded and you get showered with new stuff constantly. So any build, until you get quite high level (where each level costs more, so you stay at each one longer) is confined to abilities, which you can reallocate for a small free whenever you like. So I would experiment and have fun with it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Really I'm just kinda done with these open-world games where you collect shit all over the map and get constantly rewarded with skill points. I guess some of them have enjoyable aspects to them outside that like the controls and story in Spider-Man, and Odyssey's setting looks cool, but then I remember all the collect-a-thons and skill points nagging me and most of these games are just too dense with that shit.
I actually really like the ability system in Odyssey because even if you completely max your level, you can't get everything, so you're forced to make tough choices about the kind of character you want to make. And because of the level scaling in the game, the ability system gives you another path to make your character feel stronger over time. Even when enemies are roughly the same level as you, you still get opportunities to feel like an unstoppable badass.

Oct 29, 2017
So with these new scaling options... If I have a level 6 quest can I grind to level 7 and then do the level 6 quest or is the quest going to still magically change to a level 7 quest?