• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
What's being nerfed?

It's prohibitively expensive to keep gear upgraded and you get showered with new stuff constantly. So any build, until you get quite high level (where each level costs more, so you stay at each one longer) is confined to abilities, which you can reallocate for a small free whenever you like. So I would experiment and have fun with it.
Oops, sorry, forgot to mention that. Headshot damage from the Hunter tree is supposedly getting gutted.

Ok, great. I typically like to play these games by making a half assed attempt to do stealth and then failing and killing everyone in a gigantic fight.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Oops, sorry, forgot to mention that. Headshot damage from the Hunter tree is supposedly getting gutted.

Ok, great. I typically like to play these games by making a half assed attempt to do stealth and then failing and killing everyone in a gigantic fight.

regular headshot damage actually got 'buffed"

it just doesnt mean headshot = criticals anymore. so instead of focusing on crit damage, focus on regular hunter damage and you still do absurd, unsurvivable amounts of headshot damage to enemies

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

Well, crit headshot dmg is decreased, but base headshot dmg is increased, so i think it's more of a balancing change.

Edit: beaten by a better explanation.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
regular headshot damage actually got 'buffed"

it just doesnt mean headshot = criticals anymore. so instead of focusing on crit damage, focus on regular hunter damage and you still do absurd, unsurvivable amounts of headshot damage to enemies
Well, crit headshot dmg is decreased, but base headshot dmg is increased, so i think it's more of a balancing change.

Edit: beaten by a better explanation.
Ah ok, thank you for the explanations :) I'll try that out then.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Really I'm just kinda done with these open-world games where you collect shit all over the map and get constantly rewarded with skill points. I guess some of them have enjoyable aspects to them outside that like the controls and story in Spider-Man, and Odyssey's setting looks cool, but then I remember all the collect-a-thons and skill points nagging me and most of these games are just too dense with that shit.
I think Odyssey might not be your best choice for a new game, to be honest. I'd like to imagine that you'd enjoy it, but there's no getting around the fact that it's a huge open-world game with lots of skill points to allocate, and the game will dump huge arsenals of equipment upon you.

I happen to think it does all of that very well, but if that isn't something you're enjoying in other games it's probably not something you'll like in Odyssey.

So I'm going to be starting playing the game soon. With this being nerfed, what would people consider to be a good build?
I'd say don't worry about builds for a long time.

For the first while, you only have a small number of abilities available and a small number of points to invest in those abilities, and you'll probably be upgrading gear often rather than working towards a coherent set of equipment.

In the end the best build will be one that suits your play style, suits your equipment, and enhances the skills you use. Rather than aiming at a build right from the start, I would suggest grabbing the abilities that look interesting to you, trying them out, playing with them long enough to understand how they work with how you like to play the game (and their strengths and weaknesses), and then every so often reset (only penalty is a low number of in-game coins) and start again and reconsider your character.

By the time you reach the point where you've got the equipment and ability points needed to aim for a really good build, you will probably understand the game better than you would after reading any amount of advice in this topic.

Have they mentioned when they're going to stop releasing new content? I don't want to jump in and finish the game until everything is released.
The roadmap suggests that there'll be new content for at least the next 30 weeks or so. Could be longer since there's no new AC game this year.

So with these new scaling options... If I have a level 6 quest can I grind to level 7 and then do the level 6 quest or is the quest going to still magically change to a level 7 quest?
The level scaling doesn't affect quest level requirements, only enemies.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like the ability system in Odyssey because even if you completely max your level, you can't get everything, so you're forced to make tough choices about the kind of character you want to make. And because of the level scaling in the game, the ability system gives you another path to make your character feel stronger over time. Even when enemies are roughly the same level as you, you still get opportunities to feel like an unstoppable badass.

I just heard that if an enemy is even one or two levels above you they become stupidly hard, and I don't like games that do that. In Witcher 3 in contrast (which the last couple AC games are patterned after), even on higher difficulties, if you know how to play the game right even enemies 15 levels above you are beatable.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I just heard that if an enemy is even one or two levels above you they become stupidly hard

you heard wrong

i killed two important level 50 bosses when i was 44 and 46 respectively (and the 46 one was basically oneshotted, survived with just enough health that a simple arrow shot to the chest downed it)

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I just heard that if an enemy is even one or two levels above you they become stupidly hard, and I don't like games that do that. In Witcher 3 in contrast (which the last couple AC games are patterned after), even on higher difficulties, if you know how to play the game right even enemies 15 levels above you are beatable.
That's true in the early game, but you don't get those enemies unless you wander off to zones clearly marked as above your level. If you want to go everywhere from the start, then you'll get annoyed. But otherwise you'll be fine. When I was level 30 I wasn't far into the story and many, many areas were scaled up to me, rather than being above me.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Higher or lower? Because I've been following the main questline, completed only two regions and one island and I'm already level 30.
Higher. I have followed the main quest line and completed quite a number of sidequests. I am I am at level 16 or so. It takes 3-4 sidequests to level. It is ridiculous, since the damage difference between levels in this game is ridiculous.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I thought you get the 30 additional ability points if you get to 70 before the new content dropping on the 15th. I'm just below 69. Am I boned? or can I still get to 70 by the 15th to get the ability points?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So I thought you get the 30 additional ability points if you get to 70 before the new content dropping on the 15th. I'm just below 69. Am I boned? or can I still get to 70 by the 15th to get the ability points?
What Ubisoft say in the patch notes is "30 Ability points will be granted for all players that reached level 70 before this Title Update ".

So if you've applied the update before reaching level 70 my guess would be that you don't get the free ability points.

If you're below level 70 and haven't applied the update and want the points, then you can probably still get them by delaying the update.

Getting from level 68 to level 70 should not take a huge amount of time if you focus on the things that give you the most XP (contracts, especially contracts that stack on top of each other).

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Higher. I have followed the main quest line and completed quite a number of sidequests. I am I am at level 16 or so. It takes 3-4 sidequests to level. It is ridiculous, since the damage difference between levels in this game is ridiculous.
3 or 4 short side quests doesn't seem a huge barrier to leveling. At least for me. And you get XP for everything: discovering places, killing enemies, clearing camps and forts, finding chests, finding tablets, hunting/taking down mercenaries, conquest battles, burning enemy resources, looting nation treasuries, etc.

May 9, 2018
I just heard that if an enemy is even one or two levels above you they become stupidly hard, and I don't like games that do that.
1-2 levels doesn't make a big difference. 3-4 (when the enemy level becomes Red) reduces your damage by half and doubles enemy damage; which wasn't really a problem if you used the bow anyways, although the nerfs may make that a bit harder.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What Ubisoft say in the patch notes is "30 Ability points will be granted for all players that reached level 70 before this Title Update ".

So if you've applied the update before reaching level 70 my guess would be that you don't get the free ability points.

If you're below level 70 and haven't applied the update and want the points, then you can probably still get them by delaying the update.

Getting from level 68 to level 70 should not take a huge amount of time if you focus on the things that give you the most XP (contracts, especially contracts that stack on top of each other).

Dammit. Gotta check my version when I get home. I launched it last night as I just found out about the extra points and figured it would be easy to get from 68-70, but I thought title update meant new content, not the patch. It probably auto updated already.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Did they nerf something in this patch? Cause my damage was cut in half, like WTF? My normal attacks from spear were doing like 70-75K damage, now I can barely do 35K? Wtf Ubi?

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Did they nerf something in this patch? Cause my damage was cut in half, like WTF? My normal attacks from spear were doing like 70-75K damage, now I can barely do 35K? Wtf Ubi?
BALANCING
  • Improved Legendary set bonuses of the Hades and Nemean gear
  • The required XP to gain a Master Level has been lowered and all progress through the Master Level has been reset to Master Level 1
    • 30 Ability points will be granted for all players that reached level 70 before this Title Update (more info HERE)
  • Headshots no longer guarantee critical hit and base headshot damage has been increased
  • All damage increases from perks are now additive with each other (some were previously multiplicative) to reduce high-damage spikes in specific gear situations

Maybe something affected by the last point?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Did they PC improve performance since launch? It ran pretty well on my rig, so I can't really complain. Just curious.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
With all this talk of mythical creatures etc, Ubi should make either a Sinbad game, Sinbad dlc for Odyssey, or Assassin's Creed: Sinbad lol!

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I just noticed the patch fixed it so applying a cosmetic change to your bow also changes the quiver, too. That had been low-key bugging me since they introduced the transmogrification system.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Thank you I will look into this tonight

Also, check your character stat sheet (its on the abilities screen) by clicking R3. You can see all the unique and regular modifiers are active. Crit and fire damage is very powerful in this game. In case you didn't realize, all unique engravings on all weapons are up even if you are not actively using the weapon. The only exception are the engravings that change weapon damage to fire or poison.

Reading the latest patch notes, it looks like you can buy any engraving for a price now, so its even easier to be OP now because some of those engravings are really powerful when combined with the right abilities and weapons.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
1-2 levels doesn't make a big difference. 3-4 (when the enemy level becomes Red) reduces your damage by half and doubles enemy damage; which wasn't really a problem if you used the bow anyways, although the nerfs may make that a bit harder.

Yeah that kind of automatic scaling doesn't seem right to me, but to each his own. I've personally started to prefer the BOTW "you can go anywhere from the start" approach.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
3 or 4 short side quests doesn't seem a huge barrier to leveling. At least for me. And you get XP for everything: discovering places, killing enemies, clearing camps and forts, finding chests, finding tablets, hunting/taking down mercenaries, conquest battles, burning enemy resources, looting nation treasuries, etc.

Three or four side quests is a lot per level in my opinion. I mean those are the side uests that actually give you decent XP, others give a pitance. I just find the game has a huge amount of bloat, and even if that was stripped back it would still be a big game. And much better for it. It is interesting to play next to RDR 2, which has much more tailored content. Anyway, I like the fundamentals, just really dislike some of Ubis cynical design philosophy.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Pretty excited to dig into the lost tales when I wrap up the main story. Hit 42 today and slew the
Minotaur!
This might have been my game of the year for 2018 if I could have finished it lol.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Are the The Lost Tales of Greece quests good?
I've only done the Divine Intervention one and really didn't
like it. It's basically one long fetch quest where you get sent all over to do different things then you have to return to the quest giver after each one and it's just tedious.

Edit: it's tedious because you get sent to a bunch of places that aren't near any fast travel points and neither is the quest giver. You're hoofing it a lot and that bugged me.

Last edited:

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
Also, check your character stat sheet (its on the abilities screen) by clicking R3. You can see all the unique and regular modifiers are active. Crit and fire damage is very powerful in this game. In case you didn't realize, all unique engravings on all weapons are up even if you are not actively using the weapon. The only exception are the engravings that change weapon damage to fire or poison.

Reading the latest patch notes, it looks like you can buy any engraving for a price now, so its even easier to be OP now because some of those engravings are really powerful when combined with the right abilities and weapons.

Found the detailed stats on the Inventory screen after a search but I had no idea it was there. Thanks for the advice it will be very useful going forward

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I've only done the Divine Intervention one and really didn't
like it. It's basically one long fetch quest where you get sent all over to do different things then you have to return to the quest giver after each one and it's just tedious.

Edit: it's tedious because you get sent to a bunch of places that aren't near any fast travel points and neither is the quest giver. You're hoofing it a lot and that bugged me.

Yeah, that one is a lot of back and forth. The other ones aren't afair though.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Higher or lower? Because I've been following the main questline, completed only two regions and one island and I'm already level 30.
What difficulty level? I must be doing something wrong, I 100% Kephallonia, Megaris, Phokis, Attika, Korinthia, Lokris, Argolis and Keos and just arrived in chapter 7 of the main quest... I'm only just past level 35.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What difficulty level? I must be doing something wrong, I 100% Kephallonia, Megaris, Phokis, Attika, Korinthia, Lokris, Argolis and Keos and just arrived in chapter 7 of the main quest... I'm only just past level 35.
I'm playing on hard. How odd. One thing I have done a lot is kill mercenaries whenever they come for me or I encounter them. Only pay off the bounty when there's three of them. That probably accounts for a lot of XP. I think I'd killed about 25 by that stage (and recruited most of them lol). And I've gone on a few naval expeditions, always boarding.

Also take every single quest off the town boards and then forget about them. Often I'll complete them without purposely doing so (kill X archers etc).

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on hard. How odd. One thing I have done a lot is kill mercenaries whenever they come for me or I encounter them. Only pay off the bounty when there's three of them. That probably accounts for a lot of XP.
Normal myself, and do the same with mercs... Might up to hard then, given I'm already on level for most of the content.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
Any having any issues with the level scaling? I have it set to light and it reloaded. But the main quest and some character quests are increasing the recommended level as my level increases.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else getting really shitty performance on Xbox One X post update? It seems like the game is running in the mid to low 20s. Gonna restart the game and see if that helps.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Anybody else getting really shitty performance on Xbox One X post update? It seems like the game is running in the mid to low 20s. Gonna restart the game and see if that helps.

Try a hard reset of your console. The perfromance of the game on 1X isn't exactly good in the first place though.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded the patch and now my game is fucked.

My character simply refuses to run more than 10 meters.I press the stick up and i run for a bit then i walk then i run a bit slow.It's crazy.The same with my Horse.I was hunting a mercenary who was also running and i couldn't reach him beacause my character would stop randomly.

Then i fell through the ground and died.120 hours and this is the first time it happened.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
been a while since they broke everything with the patch. i remember the game turning into a slideshow last time

hard reset usually helps.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Only played half an hour postpatch and it was good on Pro. I even thought it looked a bit better. Could be wrong though.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
been a while since they broke everything with the patch. i remember the game turning into a slideshow last time

hard reset usually helps.

How do i hard reset?Does it mean i will lose all the downloaded games?

This is fucking infuriating!Imagine being stuck on RDR 2's camp(where you can only walk) but for the entire open world.