• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

papaBoogy

Oct 4, 2018
Not seeing the same thing on this end. I'm playing at 30hz with vsync, and a 30fps cap.
My brother was able to replicate this on his end by enabling Fast Sync in Nvidia CP & limiting fps in game to 60. He has a 4K 60hz monitor. Which is super weird because he didn't have the issue before. I have no idea how it may be related to a combination of a controller sticks issue. Need to talk to him for more details.

Me myself playing on Gync 100hz monitor. But I tried to disabling Gsync and switching the monitor to 60hz mode. Issue still present

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
My brother was able to replicate this on his end by enabling Fast Sync in Nvidia CP & limiting fps in game to 60. He has a 4K 60hz monitor. Which is super weird because he didn't have the issue before. I have no idea how it may be related to a combination of a controller sticks issue. Need to talk to him for more details.

Me myself playing on Gync 100hz monitor. But I tried to disabling Gsync and switching the monitor to 60hz mode. Issue still present

I've seen some people say the 30fps cap actually runs at 31fps and has framepacing issues. I don't see this problem at 30hz. Might not be visible for me. I'll switch to 1080p60 and see if the issue shows up on my side.

papaBoogy

Oct 4, 2018
I've seen some people say the 30fps cap actually runs at 31fps and has framepacing issues. I don't see this problem at 30hz. Might not be visible for me. I'll switch to 1080p60 and see if the issue shows up on my side.
If not to cap the framerate in the game it actually runs and 61 sometimes producing frame skips. It butter smooth with fps cap 60 but this annoying issue with the controller is killing me,

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I get weird smearing when playing this game on my laptop. Now I can play with pretty good settings as my laptop has a 1080 and a 7700HQ but this smearing, well more like a bright outline to distant objects like trees and mountain ranges, seems to leave a bright trace as I move the camera. Not that obvious to see but it's there, as if it's a really bad motion blur. Uncertain if it's the game or my laptop. Horizon 4 is fine and performs great but I have seen this smearing in other games randomly. So I'm thinking it's the display but it only happened once or twice in other games but it's always present in Odyssey. Weird.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
The load this game puts on the CPU is absurd. There has to be some engine limitations causing this.

My 7700k is getting hammered at 95-100% most of the time, and is running hot as a result when I play this game for long periods of time. Im seeing temps that are a good 10-15C higher than in other games that are CPU intensive like BF1.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks amazing at 4k HDR. Runs fairly well on my new 1080 ti, I've no doubt my 3570k is bottlenecking the game though (unfortunately the rest of my build has been put on hold until either Intels prices get better in the UK, or the next AMD cpu's come out). I've managed to get it to mostly run at around 45-50fps on average(even as high as 60 in some indoor places), but it does seem to randomly drop to 10fps for a fraction of a second causing a micro stutter. I'm thinking my CPU is probably causing that, but fortunately it's not too noticeable.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Makes me wonder if the console version of origins/odyssey have this enabled

I have no idea. I suppose they could optimize a setting low enough to work on consoles, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works like it does in most games where they only cast in one direction.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
My system:

GTX 1070
i7 4790k
16GB RAM
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

The game runs kinda shit on 1440p unless I cap it to 30fps. Right now I'm running it on 1080p with everything at Very High except for shadows (medium) and fog (medium) and I get a pretty solid 60fps aside from random 2 or 3 frame drops here and there. I'm assuming my processor may be showing its age. Definitely not as optimized as I would have liked but I'll take it. Hopefully some patches will at least smooth out my dips into the high 50's.

Oct 2, 2018
My system:

GTX 1070
i7 4790k
16GB RAM
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

The game runs kinda shit on 1440p unless I cap it to 30fps. Right now I'm running it on 1080p with everything at Very High except for shadows (medium) and fog (medium) and I get a pretty solid 60fps aside from random 2 or 3 frame drops here and there. I'm assuming my processor may be showing its age. Definitely not as optimized as I would have liked but I'll take it. Hopefully some patches will at least smooth out my dips into the high 50's.

Probably is the CPU. Alex (Digital Foundry) has some good tips in this video for solid 1080p60, and he's using a GTX 1070 but paired with a better CPU.

https://youtu.be/kG9Bsv-d8HM

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Update 1.03 is out

Are there performance improvements?
From the Readme.txt file in the Support folder :

* Implemented some "quality-of-life" and usability improvement features
* Addressed various "game breaking" issues that could happen in specific conditions
* Improved performance and stability

For more complete details on the changes included in this version,
view the Update History in the in-game menu.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
For a series that's been set almost exclusively in large city areas, this game sure runs like shit in large city areas.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Probably is the CPU. Alex (Digital Foundry) has some good tips in this video for solid 1080p60, and he's using a GTX 1070 but paired with a better CPU.

https://youtu.be/kG9Bsv-d8HM

Yeah, it may be time for me to get a new motherboard and CPU. I may completely revamp the system early next year. Still, my CPU is higher than the recommended requirements, but we all know how that goes.

Oct 28, 2017
4790k with a 980ti. Playing at 1080p with settings tweaked to get it running smooth. Usually 60 fps in outdoors, but it drops to 45-50 in heavier cities.

I was looking at upgrading to a 1080ti, or a 2080ti, would my cousin be a bottleneck if I wasn't looking for higher than 60 fps at 1080?

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4790k with a 980ti. Playing at 1080p with settings tweaked to get it running smooth. Usually 60 fps in outdoors, but it drops to 45-50 in heavier cities.

I was looking at upgrading to a 1080ti, or a 2080ti, would my cousin be a bottleneck if I wasn't looking for higher than 60 fps at 1080?
With a new cpu and the 980ti you'll do 60 at 1080 with most settings maxed, buying a 2080ti and keeping the cpu you have won't give you 60 no matter the resolution.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just like origins every time you use the torch in caves the frame rate tanks.

i just reinstalled origins and tested it. my memory doesn't deceive me, origins dynamic lights may look a little bit worse, but still damn good and it runs sooo much better. i bet some people won't even notice the difference visually.

this is just ridiculous, i run at night through a city @ odyssey with lights here and the framerate tanks like shit, i want origins dynamic lights back ffs.

i also wonder why origins looks so much better @ AA on low than odyssey @ low.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd also like to hear if anyone tries Kaldaien's mod. Would be amazing if it actually does something about the CPU usage.

papaBoogy

Oct 4, 2018
Reshade 3.4.1 installed produces drastic fps drops. In Athens it drops really bad to 40-45 fps. Without it 60 almost all the time.
I have only Lumasharpen and it doesn't matter if it's enabled or disabled. But as soon as I delete reshade files from the game folder fps is back to 60.

At first, thought that they improved things in 1.03 but it turned out I didn't have reshade installed in the game folder during testing 1.03

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I don't have the game yet so I can't try it out myself, but Kaldaien has made a version of his Special K tool for AC Odyssey and Origins which can reduce stuttering or improve CPU performance.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/812140/discussions/0/1728711392736767063

• Re-Balance Interval

• Works around a Windows scheduler bug for Ryzen CPUs that tries to run 75% of the game's thread on a single CPU core.
  • May help Intel CPUs, but Ryzen is the primary use-case
I just arrived in Athens and the framedrops there are pretty bad so this should help a lot.

Also I hope this mod let's lets me run in Borderless Windowed with HDR on.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I noticed on several npc's, during cutscenes their armour after a second or so, goes lower quality LoD. Pretty weird. Hard to notice but once you do...

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Overclocked i5-6600k.

If anything that mod has made the game perform worse for me.

dragmagpuff

Oct 11, 2018
Hello all,

I have a 6700k, 1080ti, 16 GB of RAM, and an SSD. I have been playing AC: Odyssey at a pretty much locked 4k30 Ultra settings (i gave up on stable 60 fps). I am using the 1080ti HDMI out to a surround sound receiver to my 4k TV, so both audio and video are going though the HDMI.

The game plays completely fine for the first hour or 2 of play, then starts to have extremely inconsistent frame-times with multiple fps drops per second. Each frame drop is accompanied with an annoying audio glitch especially while rotating the camera. Based on what I can tell, it's not a temperature problem since everything stays under 60 degrees. Restarting the game doesn't do anything to fix the problem (even if I wait 5 minutes), nor does turning down graphics settings once the issue starts.

The only way to get normal performance back is to restart the computer. Restarting the game does not fix the problem. Is this a memory leak or page file issue?

Any one had any similar issues? Any ideas for a fix? I'd rather not have to restart my computer every hour for the many hours I hope to play this game.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I've managed to get the settings to a sweet spot that allowed me to get 4K@30FPS in a locked way with a 6700K and 1080 Ti.
Now, I have a question, you guys say that RTSS is ruining HDR. I've both ON right now (The 30 FPS ingame limitir sucks, it gives me way too much stuttering), but I can't see any problem so far.

Can someone describe what is wrong with both RTSS + HDR?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I've managed to get the settings to a sweet spot that allowed me to get 4K@30FPS in a locked way with a 6700K and 1080 Ti.
Now, I have a question, you guys say that RTSS is ruining HDR. I've both ON right now (The 30 FPS ingame limitir sucks, it gives me way too much stuttering), but I can't see any problem so far.

Can someone describe what is wrong with both RTSS + HDR?

It will be crazy washed out and the colors are all wrong. It should be obvious. Haven't tried it since the patch, though, so maybe it solved the issue?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
So from what I can gather that Special K dude was banned from the Steam Forums? Anyone know anything more about this?

Is it just cause his tool messes with the .exe and that's technically not allowed or was he up to something shady?

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So from what I can gather that Special K dude was banned from the Steam Forums? Anyone know anything more about this?

Is it just cause his tool messes with the .exe and that's technically not allowed or was he up to something shady?

Was Kaldaien banned from the Steam forums entirely - or just the Assassin's Creed forums?

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
He was banned from the Assassin's Creed Odyssey forums, the reason given was this:
You have been permanently banned from the Assassin's Creed Odyssey Hub.
You have been banned by a forum moderator.
Reason: "Linking to malicious software"
Which is complete BS.

The most likely situation is that trolls (usually pirates) mass reported his thread and a forum moderator actually believed the trolls this time...

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
He was banned from the Assassin's Creed Odyssey forums, the reason given was this:

Which is complete BS.

The most likely situation is that trolls (usually pirates) mass reported his thread and a forum moderator actually believed the trolls this time...

Totally stupid and false. I remember that there was a guy in his thread that he was saying he was violating the EULA etc. This guy didn't stop. Especially Kalaiden is doing it for the community and this is his thank you for that. I wonder if he will continue doing mods or he says fuck it. I could understand after this case.