• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I'm on 2600X and a Strix Vega 64, running 3400 x 1440 ultrawide. On ultra I can't get it to run consistently over 40fps, dropping volumetric clouds helped a lot but it's still miles and miles from a locked 60.

Is it possible that I'm CPU bottlenecked in places? Using the in game monitor I've noticed my GPU usage dropping into the 70-80% range, even while the CPU is still only 60% under load. It causes performance to become really unstable, yo yoing back and forth between 30 - 50 fps. Funnily enough, if I push resolution scale to 120% it loads the GPU back up to 99% and the fps stabilises at a somewhat stable 35-45 fps, with CPU usage dropping slightly. I have freesync so it's not the end of the world, just a little baffling. I didn't think my brand new CPU would be hitting limits any time soon.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on 2600X and a Strix Vega 64, running 3400 x 1440 ultrawide. On ultra I can't get it to run consistently over 40fps, dropping volumetric clouds helped a lot but it's still miles and miles from a locked 60.

Is it possible that I'm CPU bottlenecked in places? Using the in game monitor I've noticed my GPU usage dropping into the 70-80% range, even while the CPU is still only 60% under load. It causes performance to become really unstable, yo yoing back and forth between 30 - 50 fps. Funnily enough, if I push resolution scale to 120% it loads the GPU back up to 99% and the fps stabilises at a somewhat stable 35-45 fps, with CPU usage dropping slightly. I have freesync so it's not the end of the world, just a little baffling. I didn't think my brand new CPU would be hitting limits any time soon.
Everyone is cpu bottlenecked. Game is overly CPU intensive.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
People were saying this game was designed for 30fps and i think they are dead right. I can get 60fps with a 1080ti and an i5 [email protected] though busy towns with lots of npc's can make it drop. I can get 75fps if I play with medium settings (this is at 3440x1440). But at 60fps the frames are all over the place, at 60 then 55 then 110 then 32 then 28 then 68 etc. Where-as at locked 30 it never dips lower then 25 and never goes above 40 (why the fuck it should be going above the limit I don't understand at all). Even with a g-sync monitor the hitches that accompany these drops are still noticeable.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
People were saying this game was designed for 30fps and i think they are dead right. I can get 60fps with a 1080ti and an i5 [email protected] though busy towns with lots of npc's can make it drop. I can get 75fps if I play with medium settings (this is at 3440x1440). But at 60fps the frames are all over the place, at 60 then 55 then 110 then 32 then 28 then 68 etc. Where-as at locked 30 it never dips lower then 25 and never goes above 40 (why the fuck it should be going above the limit I don't understand at all). Even with a g-sync monitor the hitches that accompany these drops are still noticeable.

I have locked 60 fps with perfect frame times in the first 3-4 hours of the game. Maybe everything changes in some cities but after some people comments about how impossible is to achieve good frame times anywhere I was positively surprised.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Performance on my i7 700k (also running at 4.8GHz) is as you described: Hitches, stuttering, frametimes can go up to 141ms. It's bad.

My r7 2700x has a different problem: Average fps is slightly lower then on my 7700k, espeically in high density urban areas like Athen. But the frame time graph is a lot smoother. It's an okay experience with Gsync.

My conclusion for this game: You need a fast CPU that supports 12+ threads to brute force your way through this game (an overclocked 8700k or better). This game screams for a better API imo. Makes me wonder how they are able to achieve those 30 fps on consoles in the first place. They must be using those low level APIs on there, so why not on PC?

The Division got a DX12 patch and it improved performance from very good to excelllent on my ryzen build.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
It'd be really great to see a Vulkan or DX12 patch for this. I've heard from some people who were reviewing the DX11 draw calls that the game seems like it was designed for low level console APIs and just kinda thrown at DX11 which has much, much more overhead for the way the game is coded.

I'd imagine at very least the XBone version is DX12 based, why not port that?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I would love Ubisoft to adopt the EA approach with the Frostbite engine and have the Snowdrop engine be used across its studios. The Snowdrop engine is fantastic on PC.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Best thing to do here is optimize your system and focus on 40 fps locked, it's still a really enjoyable experience.
At 4k with almost everything maxed, i hit 45/46 fps with a Vega 64 (undervolted and overlocked) and 2700X (overclocked to 4.2)

Nov 5, 2017
I also have a Ryzen 1700 and a 1080, in I'm cruising around 60fps most of the time.
Best thing to do here is optimize your system and focus on 40 fps locked, it's still a really enjoyable experience.
At 4k with almost everything maxed, i hit 45/46 fps with a Vega 64 (undervolted and overlocked) and 2700X (overclocked to 4.2)
This is only viable with Gsync, otherwise you should aim for 30 or 60. 40 without a VRR display is a stuttery mess.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I also have a Ryzen 1700 and a 1080, in I'm cruising around 60fps most of the time.
This is only viable with Gsync, otherwise you should aim for 30 or 60. 40 without a VRR display is a stuttery mess.

I'm playing at 40 with Vsync and in game limiter, never noticed anything. I hooked up the PC to a TV tho, maybe that makes a difference.

Oct 2, 2018
I'm using an i5 8400 with a GTX 1080, and with a mix of high and very high, with high AA, 4K @ 90% scale, it's locked at 30fps 99% of the time. That 1% is the torch in heavily shadow casting areas. 80% resolution hits 30fps 100% of the time, but I'm happy with the 99% locked 30.

Edit:

To counter the very slight blurring from using 90% resolution scale, I've tossed in a dash of reshade Lumasharpen. Looks perfect.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm using an i5 8400 with a GTX 1080, and with a mix of high and very high, with high AA, 4K @ 90% scale, it's locked at 30fps 99% of the time. That 1% is the torch in heavily shadow casting areas. 80% resolution hits 30fps 100% of the time, but I'm happy with the 99% locked 30.

Edit:

To counter the very slight blurring from using 90% resolution scale, I've tossed in a dash of reshade Lumasharpen. Looks perfect.

You could gain some frames just turning down AA to medium, i don't think you need high at that res :)

Nov 5, 2017
You could gain some frames just turning down AA to medium, i don't think you need high at that res :)
That's also not a great idea. Anything other than the highest AA setting (and Off) will result in an upscaled image, because it will render below the native resolution. Sure, performance will improve - but only because of the lowered base resolution.

Last edited:

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
My GPU (GTX 970) seems to be aging, on a mixture of medium/high settings at 1080p i get something between 45 to 60 fps. I could drop the settings down and have it 60 fps, since my GPU is the bottleneck here (CPU is Ryzen 5 1600) but then the game wouldn't look pretty :(

Any settings that are really demanding and have small impact on visuals?

Oct 2, 2018
My GPU (GTX 970) seems to be aging, on a mixture of medium/high settings at 1080p i get something between 45 to 60 fps. I could drop the settings down and have it 60 fps, since my GPU is the bottleneck here (CPU is Ryzen 5 1600) but then the game wouldn't look pretty :(

Any settings that are really demanding and have small impact on visuals?

Volumetric Clouds, Shadows, Ambient Occlusion, DoF, AA (try medium or low). Textures might be eating VRAM as well.

You could just lock it to 30fps using Nvidia adaptive vsync. Game is perfectly playable and you could even bump up some settings.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Volumetric Clouds, Shadows, Ambient Occlusion, DoF, AA (try medium or low). Textures might be eating VRAM as well.

You could just lock it to 30fps using Nvidia adaptive vsync. Game is perfectly playable and you could even bump up some settings.

AA on Low seems to be working well, though the game looks really soft. I suppose I this is as much as I can do to get 60 fps then.

The adaptive vsync thing, you mean in nvidia control panel? I've tried capping fps in RTSS, but it seemed stuttery.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
AA on Low seems to be working well, though the game looks really soft. I suppose I this is as much as I can do to get 60 fps then.

The adaptive vsync thing, you mean in nvidia control panel? I've tried capping fps in RTSS, but it seemed stuttery.
Low aa uses lower resolution. Id lower volumetric clouds, AO and shadows before id lower aa. Water and fog quality can also be lowered a notch from the highest settings with no perceptible quality loss

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Low aa uses lower resolution. Id lower volumetric clouds, AO and shadows before id lower aa. Water and fog quality can also be lowered a notch from the highest settings with no perceptible quality loss

Trying AA on High and AO on Medium right now. Turning off AO completely makes everything look weird.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
After fiddling around with some settings, doing a bunch of tests and getting help from you all, I think I've found my perfect settings for Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 970 with 16gb RAM.
PZGNptF.png
i343XhC.jpg
Should be noted that the 27 is not the lowest FPS I've got during my gameplay so far, outside of towns I get pretty much locked 60 fps. In towns it's usually between 50 and 60, the lowest I've actually got was something in the high 40s for brief amount of time. In game I also have vsync on since I get crazy amount of screen tear on Fullscreen. Borderless introduces more FPS drops and some stutter. I've also turned off Full Screen Optimizations.

I've also found out that when I get a level up or complete a quest and a big prompt appears on the screen, my FPS drop a bit shortly. Also, running the game on a 7200 RPM HDD, I definitely get texture pop-in. Moving it to SSD might help, or using the Super K patch.

AA could be put on Medium or High to get a sharper image, but I think it looks fine on Low and don't think the cost of FPS is worth it.

Oct 2, 2018
After fiddling around with some settings, doing a bunch of tests and getting help from you all, I think I've found my perfect settings for Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 970 with 16gb RAM.
PZGNptF.png
i343XhC.jpg
Should be noted that the 27 is not the lowest FPS I've got during my gameplay so far, outside of towns I get pretty much locked 60 fps. In towns it's usually between 50 and 60, the lowest I've actually got was something in the high 40s for brief amount of time. In game I also have vsync on since I get crazy amount of screen tear on Fullscreen. Borderless introduces more FPS drops and some stutter. I've also turned off Full Screen Optimizations.

I've also found out that when I get a level up or complete a quest and a big prompt appears on the screen, my FPS drop a bit shortly. Also, running the game on a 7200 RPM HDD, I definitely get texture pop-in. Moving it to SSD might help, or using the Super K patch.

AA could be put on Medium or High to get a sharper image, but I think it looks fine on Low and don't think the cost of FPS is worth it.

Have you considered overclocking your 970? I had one until recently and you can squeeze a few extra FPS out. You can even run some games in 4K (if you have the monitor/TV for it).

You can get a decent overclock with zero experience. This will give you a great start. It's just using software. https://youtu.be/b1OCMBa0Ddw

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Have you considered overclocking your 970? I had one until recently and you can squeeze a few extra FPS out. You can even run some games in 4K (if you have the monitor/TV for it).

You can get a decent overclock with zero experience. This will give you a great start. It's just using software. https://youtu.be/b1OCMBa0Ddw

I haven't. I know my GPU is already slightly overclocked (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD-rev-10-11#ov),
Boost:1354 MHz/ Base: 1203 MHz in OC Mode
Boost:1329 MHz/ Base: 1178 MHz in Gaming Mode (dunno what OC or Gaming mode means though)

vs. stock values
Boost:1178 MHz/ Base: 1050 MHz

So I don't know how much further I can push it.

Oct 2, 2018
I haven't. I know my GPU is already slightly overclocked (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD-rev-10-11#ov),
Boost:1354 MHz/ Base: 1203 MHz in OC Mode
Boost:1329 MHz/ Base: 1178 MHz in Gaming Mode (dunno what OC or Gaming mode means though)

vs. stock values
Boost:1178 MHz/ Base: 1050 MHz

So I don't know how much further I can push it.

The memory overclock helps push the 970 more. I had the ASUS Strix version which is already overclocked as well. If you follow the video Digital Foundry explain what core clock and memory clock to go for, taking into account the base clock settings of the reference card. Trust me, it helps. I could run this game at 1440p med/high @30fps solid.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Yes, this game is very CPU heavy, here is my example. I was on i5-3570k + 8gb DDR3 1600mhz, a few days ago I've upgraded my mobo and CPU and this is the difference with i5-8600k + 16gb DDR4 3200mhz (with the same GPU, GTX 1080ti):

5C9B4AEB271B7ADC323E5110BB078012800E001F

Everything on high except volumetric clouds (medium). Obviously, it improved framepacing a lot, game feels much smoother now and close to none screen tearing. I guess 8 additional frames average for 4K is a pretty damn good result?

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
The memory overclock helps push the 970 more. I had the ASUS Strix version which is already overclocked as well. If you follow the video Digital Foundry explain what core clock and memory clock to go for, taking into account the base clock settings of the reference card. Trust me, it helps. I could run this game at 1440p med/high @30fps solid.
I've tried to go for the values they suggested, adding 500 MHz to memory and aiming for 200 MHz increase on core over stock (+73 MHz on mine). At +500 MHz I started seeing a lot of artifacting. At 400 MHz, triangles and dots disappeared but I was still getting green and purple textures during benchmarks. Going down by increments of 50 MHz, I've settled on +350 MHz increase.

During benchmarks on settings I've posted above (+ with SSR on Medium) I got about 3 fps increase on average.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Has anyone tested on a i9 9900k and 2080ti yet?

Right here. I'm getting 60fps at 4k with a few settings knocked down from max, and clouds at high.

Res scaling is really bad with this. Drop it down even to .9 and everything becomes blurry, so the only real option is just lowering settings until you get a steady 60. Seems with each nvidia driver release and game patch the performance gets more stable. My 2080ti is overclocked as well.

I have to say that this game at 4k/hdr looks absolutely stunning.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Right here. I'm getting 60fps at 4k with a few settings knocked down from max, and clouds at high.

Res scaling is really bad with this. Drop it down even to .9 and everything becomes blurry, so the only real option is just lowering settings until you get a steady 60. Seems with each nvidia driver release and game patch the performance gets more stable. My 2080ti is overclocked as well.

Oh man, can we all come over to your house and watch you play? :)

I'm finally happy with 35-50fps on my setup. Thank god for freesync. I've tweaked for weeks, now I just want to enjoy the story. No offense but it makes me happy that even a rig like yours can't nail down 60fps@4K ultra. No doubt in 2 or 3 years we will be able to do that with newer hardware. I've recently got back into AC Unity. At the time of release I was using a 4670K w/780Ti. The best I could do was an inconsistent 30-40 fps with no adaptive sync at 1080p. Now on my 2600X and Vega 64 it runs 3400 x 1440, Ultra and largely in the 50-60 fps range. It finally looks like the game I imagined it would be 4 years ago. Adaptive sync is the god tier upgrade in my opinion. I can never go back!

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
I can't seem to play more than half an hour without the game crashing randomly (specially when I'm sailing).
I have a Ryzen 2600 at 4.1 GHz, GTX 1080ti, 16 GB DDR4. I know is not an overclock problem because I've played with the stock values and still crashes (and is the only game with problems). I even reinstalled the game with no luck.
Deleting the config. file seems to work for a while, but when I play again, it crashes after some time.
I don't know what else to try.

Oct 2, 2018
I've tried to go for the values they suggested, adding 500 MHz to memory and aiming for 200 MHz increase on core over stock (+73 MHz on mine). At +500 MHz I started seeing a lot of artifacting. At 400 MHz, triangles and dots disappeared but I was still getting green and purple textures during benchmarks. Going down by increments of 50 MHz, I've settled on +350 MHz increase.

During benchmarks on settings I've posted above (+ with SSR on Medium) I got about 3 fps increase on average.

The game is very CPU limited which means you've probably hit your GPU limit. 30fps is easier to maintain than 60, so when using my i5 8400 with the 970 oc, I could push settings and Res and still get 30.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I keep dreaming of getting a 4k monitor

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I can't seem to play more than half an hour without the game crashing randomly (specially when I'm sailing).
I have a Ryzen 2600 at 4.1 GHz, GTX 1080ti, 16 GB DDR4. I know is not an overclock problem because I've played with the stock values and still crashes (and is the only game with problems). I even reinstalled the game with no luck.
Deleting the config. file seems to work for a while, but when I play again, it crashes after some time.

You're not on the 417.21 drivers, are you? The game began crashing on me like there was no tomorrow after I'd updated to them, but that all went away when I updated to 417.22.

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
You're not on the 417.21 drivers, are you? The game began crashing on me like there was no tomorrow after I'd updated to them, but that all went away when I updated to 417.22.
I'm on the 417.35 drivers and before I tried with two different drivers (including 417.22), with no luck.
I'm going to try using DDU, but I don't know how it can be a driver issue when this game is the only one crashing on my pc >:(

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are using a frame rate overlay software that could be a reason, using rivatuner or fraps makes many games crash, I started using the steam overlay for that and all the problems went away.

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
If you are using a frame rate overlay software that could be a reason, using rivatuner or fraps makes many games crash, I started using the steam overlay for that and all the problems went away.

I'm not using any of those programs (just msi afterburner to overclock the card)
Yesterday I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers with DDU but the game still crashed an hour later :(

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, i have the same issue but with Dishonored 2, it sucks.
Just an update, I've found what was causing the crashes. It was my excessive OC to the card. I guess Thronebreaker wasn't crashing because it's not a demanding game, but played Hitman 2 and crashed almost immediately. I put the card's clock on default and problem solved.
I guess I should have stress tested the oc for a longer period.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
How is Odyssey vs Origins? I bought Origins yesterday and it's a complete hog. I'm using a GTX 1080 with an 8600 @ 4.8GHz and it's by far the most demanding game I've ever played.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I've heard Odyssey isn't as much of a CPU hog as Origins but still demanding.
Honestly, they are pretty close. My 2600X runs them at a fairly similar clip. I have to increase the resolution scale to 1.20 to load the GPU enough to get a consistent experience. Otherwise GPU usage bounces around causing really annoying stutter, even with freesync.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've heard Odyssey isn't as much of a CPU hog as Origins but still demanding.

That's good, I'm getting good performance now in Origins after dialing certain settings back and it still looks great. Origins definitely feels like a big leap for the series so I'm sure I'll buy Oddesy once I'm done with it.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Lttp, but I have only recently started playing the game. Performance is pretty good (mostly solid 60 fps with 8700K/2080ti), but especially in camps/fortresses the framerate drops to low/mid 50s. As I am playing on TV I am pretty much forced to use (Adaptive) Vsync, so dips are either noticeable stutter or tearing.
As it especially happens in locations with (hostile?) NPCs (cities/villages seem to be less effected) I would assume it is rather a matter of CPU? Has anybody else experienced this?

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Lttp, but I have only recently started playing the game. Performance is pretty good (mostly solid 60 fps with 8700K/2080ti), but especially in camps/fortresses the framerate drops to low/mid 50s. As I am playing on TV I am pretty much forced to use (Adaptive) Vsync, so dips are either noticeable stutter or tearing.
As it especially happens in locations with (hostile?) NPCs (cities/villages seem to be less effected) I would assume it is rather a matter of CPU? Has anybody else experienced this?

Yeah, I guess it's really CPU bottlenecked. Look on the bright side, only a few days until the new Nvidia driver drops with Adaptive Sync support. That will smooth things out considerably for you! I'm using a Ryzen 5 2600X w/Vega 64 @ 3400x1440. I've settled for a 35fps lock, otherwise the dips are just too brutal, even with freesync. Sometimes I get a lovely 50-70fps experience, then I enter a city and it dive bombes into the 30s. Clearly Ubisoft create these open world engines around a 30fps target. The only way past that is sheer brute force. And I don't have the cash to drop on SLI 2080Tis :)