• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Xbox One uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1366x756 and the highest native resolution found being 1600x900.

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368 and the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160.

PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1600x900 and the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080.

PS4 Pro uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the highest native resolution found being 2880x1620 and this is downsampled when outputting at 1080p.

All four consoles use a temporal reconstruction technique that can increase the pixel count up to the upper bounds found on each console (e.g. up to a maximum of 2880x1620 on PS4 Pro) when they are rendering natively below this figure.

PS4 Pro, Xbox One and Xbox One X seem to usually render natively below their maximum resolutions, but during relatively static scenes they can often reach their maximum pixel counts due to the temporal reconstruction.

The base PS4 renders natively at its maximum resolution more often than the other consoles, but the native resolution can see sustained drops below 1920x1080.

Xbox One X seems to have a longer draw distance than the other three consoles. This increased draw distance should be noticeable during the clip starting at 4:25.

Stats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...COUpMTZC4-JQ69zx6pZUkwMJg/edit#gid=1122688640

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Strange. Why's the resolution of the PS4 version higher if both consoles are really similar?

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One X > PS4 Pro > PS4 > Xbox One.

As usual....and as it should be.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Textures look quite better on the X. I'm not done with Origins so there's no point for me on getting this game now, but I will once is cheap lol.

Last edited:

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
whats up with that vase texture on the pro at 3:36? Even blurier than regular ps4 and xbox.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly even xbx1 is close to xbx1x in this game .the engine is really impressive .I only notice a bit sharper image on 4k tv watching this comparison and at 4:42 the draw distance is idnetical on all 4 .most of the time actually they r identical .even with me pausing and trying to find differences.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty solid perf on X/Pro
Going the dynamic+temporal reconstruction route instead of aiming for the highest native res and sacrificing performance in the process (looking at you SOTR) was a good choice

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If these are correct that's a significant drop in resolution over Origins. I wonder why that is, while more refined, it doesn't seem that more demanding

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly even xbx1 is close to xbx1x in this game .the engine is really impressive .I only notice a bit sharper image on 4k tv watching this comparison and at 4:42 the draw distance is idnetical on all 4 .most of the time actually they r identical .even with me pausing and trying to find differences.
Man, come on.
900p vs 2160p and you can't see a difference?
A "bit" sharper?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The difference between 756p-900p, or even 1080p, and the UHD resolutions is absolutely gigantic on a 4K TV. I wouldn't use highly compressed video as a good comparison tool. That said, I agree that it's impressive what this engine is doing on all consoles, when ignoring resolution.

Look forward to the DF analysis (come on!)

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Well this stood out to me, lol.

Edit: It's clearly a texture streaming issue. I didn't think anyone would think this was the normal look of the texture on Pro. Just pointing out that there does seem to be a streaming issue, at least in this video.

PcK5gxR.png

Last edited:

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Here's an example of the draw distance being better on the X compared to the pro. Pro matches base consoles draw distance

2uSOgk3.png

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
You know I would like to buy more multiplatform games on my PS4 Pro but big differences like this make it not even an option. Its essentially my exclusives machine, which isn't a bad thing....I just feel bad lol.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope that someone does a comparison in the future because we see other consoles than the pro that don't have hardware support for reconstruction and still use it. I wonder how much it really helps in comparison to an only software solution.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The difference between 756p-900p, or even 1080p, and the UHD resolutions is absolutely gigantic on a 4K TV. I wouldn't use highly compressed video as a good comparison tool. That said, I agree that it's impressive what this engine is doing on all consoles, when ignoring resolution.

Look forward to the DF analysis (come on!)
I meant asset quality .I said it is sharper on 4k tv but everything else is very close .from lightening to draw distance to most of the textures.it is an impressive engine to scale this well between 1x and 1

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is definitely a texture stream issue on Pro. In the last thread about platform comparisons for this game, which was mostly during the intro I believe, even parts of kassandra's outfit wasn't appearing on the Pro version but since then I've seen videos of that same scene on PS4 and the parts that were missing were there. So it's clear there's a bug that needs to be ironed out.

Oct 26, 2017
So that Resero video wasn't really indicative at all after all.

Either way, boy am I glad I don't have the OG Xbox One anymore. That lowest resolution man, seriously. I don't want to imagine how that looks on a 60 to 75 inch screen.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Damn OG xbox one really is stuck in 2013. Frames dropping like crazy even with a dynamic resolution. Ill be getting this on my X down the line, its just crazy to see the performance difference between base hardware vs their upgrades.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Looks like a texture failing to load
Looking at the video seems to be quite widespread. Any point in time I stopped there were some bad textures on Pro but not on X. It happens with shadows as well sometimes rendering just in your face.

This obviously is textures streaming issue.
The roof texture in general seems less detailed on Pro as well, though it could be a resolution + compression smudgering texture detail on other versions