• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Roy, Utah
Is that the thread from earlier today that pinned UK sales as being 80% digital now? If that's true, then a significant amount of that downturn could be attributed to that. I'm not shocked that Odyssey sold less, but 50% doesn't seem quite right.

Edit: Seems like that earlier thread I was referencing was misleading and not applicable in this case. Thanks for the corrections on that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a trend with UK now, I feel like every major franchise is down there lately.

We already know that overall Odyssey had a huge launch (the best selling AC game this gen) that was significantly better than Origins

Last edited:

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Origins probably burned people out. I don't think many players expected/wanted to play another one less than a year later.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Is that the thread from earlier today that pinned UK sales as being 80% digital now? If that's true, then a significant amount of that downturn could be attributed to that. I'm not shocked that Odyssey sold less, but 50% doesn't seem quite right.
No this 80% number includes pc, mobile and console. That thread was a bit misleading.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is probably because it launched so soon after Origins. I admit I wasn't planning on getting it until much later, but then the Xbox sale went live and dropped the price by 50% .. and it's a very good game to boot.

Hopefully they take it easy now and move the next game even further. I think what they are doing now is great, RPG elements, dialogue and choice. Hoping they do China or Japan next and the story has some real direction again too.

Oct 27, 2017
is digital included? Doubt it. These UK threads end up being garbage since digital isn't included and doesn't represent worldwide sales.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

FIFA 19 has 25% ratio of digital. Best case scenario would be similar here because AC isn't multiplayer focus.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
This seems like a trend with UK now, I feel like every major franchise is down there lately.

We already know that overall Odyssey had a huge launch (the best selling AC game this gen) that was significantly better than Origins
The bolded is incorrect, it generated the most revenue when you include season passes and mtx. Also unit sales was down in the US also. So isn't just a UK thing.

VillagerMax

Nov 4, 2017
Isn't the UK facing some economic trouble due to Brexit? If so, that would contribute to people spending less on games during that time, especially if they had to choose between Odyssey and RDR2.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hard to square this with what we already know - that Odyssey crushed and continues to crush.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
It's pretty obvious that Battlefield and Odyssey were hurt by Red Dead Redemption. That rising tide raises all boats line is bull, people only have so much money and it's clear where it went this year...unless of course they're playing F2P like Fortnite ect

Oct 25, 2017
I think it goes to show that people don't actually want the games annually. It's too much. The next game's out before a lot of fans even get around to playing the previous.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Retail comparison only, but it's assuredly down in unit sales, as it was in the US. Ultimately the game generated more revenue though so...

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy watching companies that pump out these games annually floundering due to consumer burn out and confusion.

FIFA and Call of Duty next.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I enjoy watching companies that pump out these games annually floundering due to consumer burn out and confusion.

FIFA and Call of Duty next.
I think it goes to show that people don't actually want the games annually. It's too much. The next game's out before a lot of fans even get around to playing the previous.
They seem to want that though https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-creed-odyssey-launch-week-sales-beat-origins While Origins did better than Syndicate with skipping a year, Odyssey also did better than Origins without a skip.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
So digital grew so significantly for AC in the UK between last year and this year that it could somehow offset this result? Nope. Let's say that in some imaginary world digital for this game grew from, let's say 30% for Origins to 40% for this game. This wouldn't change anything.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think the forum needs to ban UK only sales charts.

We've already seen them be highly inaccurate to the larger picture with many other games. And Ubisoft has already came out and said Odyssey had the highest launch week in the series history. I believe they said it even DOUBLED the number of units sold by Syndicate at launch.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So digital grew so significantly for AC in the UK between last year and this year that it could somehow offset this result? Nope. Let's say that in some imaginary world digital for this game grew from, let's say 30% for Origins to 40% for this game. This wouldn't change anything.
Odyssey made more money than Origins, so it really doesn't matter.

No, it's just the better franchises are doing well, rdr2, GOW, fortnite etc.
You can include AC too, since it made the list of top-selling 2018 games (US sales ranked by NPD) with just 3 months of sale.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Well it did grew to 45% of sales being digital, 10% increase from Origins. https://www.vg247.com/2018/10/30/assassins-creed-odyssey-digital-sales-ubisoft-q2-fy19/

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Odyssey made more money than Origins, so it really doesn't matter.
In the UK (which is what is being discussed here)? Also, I was responding to someone implying this result was incorrect "because digital" which i showed to be nonsense, nothing to do with revenue.

Last edited:

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
In the UK (which is what is being discussed here)? Also, I was responding to someone implying this result didn't matter "because digital" which i showed to be nonsense, nothing to do with revenue.
I have no idea about UK specific breakdown, but it's also not really that interesting a point because everything has been down in UK sales this year.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
1. This is not UK specific though, you don't know UK digital difference
2. Even if that is the case, that's what I was explaining - a 10% difference in digital between last year and this year won't change that in the UK AC sales went down by over 50%. Just do the math.
Sure, but I don't know why UK reception matters over worldwide reception. The game is doing better than it's predecessor(s) both critically and commercially, that is what matters right?

We've already seen them be highly inaccurate to the larger picture with many other games. And Ubisoft has already came out and said Odyssey had the highest launch week in the series history. I believe they said it even DOUBLED the number of units sold by Syndicate at launch.
Origins already doubled Syndicate, though as Odyssey did even better than Origins then yeah it's more than doubled too.

Oct 25, 2017
UK physical game sales just seemed to be down generally across the board, but at the same time releasing a massive open-world RPG with expansion content one year after you released another different massive open-world RPG with expansion content probably had some slight chilling effect.
---
I mean by all accounts Ubisofts model seems to work very well in terms of sales and there's no reason to rock the boat, but there is some value to the Rockstar thing of every game feels like an event because they don't come around that that often.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
1. This is not UK specific though, you don't know UK digital difference
2. Even if that is the case, that's what I was explaining - a 10% difference in digital between last year and this year won't change that in the UK AC sales went down by over 50%. Just do the math.
"just do the math with my imaginary 10% difference pulled straight out of my ass"
UK physical game sales just seemed to be down generally across the board, but at the same time releasing a massive open-world RPG with expansion content one year after you released another different massive open-world RPG with expansion content probably had some slight chilling effect.
So chilled that it was the best AC launch of the generation

Oct 27, 2017
Digital is NOT included in that figure.

Also last time we heard from Ubi, AC Odyssey was up worldwide from Origins and did the best AC launch for this gen, so I wouldn't worry much.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
This thread proves just how misleading and laughably useless those UK physical only charts' threads are.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This thread proves just how misleading and laughably useless those UK physical only charts are.
It feels weird how some people try to use it for "AC in trouble" kind of narrative. Haven't seen anyone calling God of War a dud because it sold worse than Labo in Japan, where's the concern? Was rebooting the series a mistake? Is it because of the new camera? They really need to take a hard look what to do with the next game, as it clearly didn't work for them. Maybe ship with a cardboard axe to attach into a move controller next time.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I don't see what's the problem with them, the context of it being UK-only is in the title, it's users trying to extrapolate from it rather than just view UK trends that is the issue. As a UK member I'm far more interested in UK charts than US or Japan ones, I just don't think they mysteriously apply to the world when I'm aware of the differences vs the other larger EU markets, let alone elsewhere or globally. It's also one of the few sets of charts we get here.