• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
dwINUxw.jpg

5S7J2c0.jpg

https://twitter.com/AccessTheAnimus/status/1039225334686777344

This is interesting.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
So old, classic way of playing an open world game and BOTW mode. I'll definitely play using BOTW mode.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with these kind of things in general for me is if the map is as big as Origins it would be really annoying exploring trying to find where to go

But if it's a mode theoretically they designed around unlike something like turning off waypoints in witcher 3.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see how they handle it. Most games that let you turn off point of interest markers fail to offer a way of finding most things in the world. It's basically a wander around aimlessly until you stumble on to something mode. They end up being nothing like how Morrowind did it.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
I would've preferred a mode where the game completely ignores any and all Animus/future story crap and one that has it.

This seems interesting, I wonder how much work went into both modes because they seem like they could be completely different.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do like how they say "this is the way Assassin's Creed Odyssey is meant to be experienced." Wish more developers would outright say the way they wish the players played their games since there's usually a variety of options.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if it really is how the game is meant to be played I'll pick Exploration Mode.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with these kind of things in general for me is if the map is as big as Origins it would be really annoying exploring trying to find where to go

I'm sure there will be some guidance intelligently implemented, instead of bashing you over the head with it like previous entries.

I'm I'm very optimistic. Having subtle hints integrated into the incredibly detailed worlds Ubi creates could be a fantastic New direction.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Exploration mode needs the game's world design and visual language to be on point to pull off. Just because this is the way it's "meant to be played" from the developers doesn't mean I'm confident they can pull it off. Still, if I'm playing this game, it would be with exploration mode. Tentatively excited.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

But if it's a mode theoretically they designed around unlike something like turning off waypoints in witcher 3.

Pretty sure it doesn't remove your map or compass, and I imagine any tips or info guidance is still kept in your objective journal. "Told of a cave east of the waterfall where I can find the bandits"

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Origins had options to remove HUD elements and markers as well, but I was never quite able to find the sweet spot. It was an all or nothing type of thing.

Oct 28, 2017
Very interesting. I much prefer that way of uncovering the map.

The more I hear about this game, the more I want it day 1. I loved Origins, and this looks to improve upon that formula. Also, I hope the DLC is as quality as Origins.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I like that it has options. Depending on the size of the world will determine my path. If it's BoTW or Origins size or more or even close then I am doing guided as I will just get bored. Still glad the option is there just in case.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's see how they handle it. Most games that let you turn off point of interest markers fail to offer a way of finding most things in the world. It's basically a wander around aimlessly until you stumble on to something mode. They end up being nothing like how Morrowind did it.

Morrowind was the pinnacle of this. The main reason being the fact that quest markers weren't a thing back then. They had no choice but to be descriptive in the dialogue and quest log.

Let's see how this pans out.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh now reading the this is the way it was meant to be played gives me more optimism instead of it being a throwaway mode that was haphazardly done

Yoda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be really interesting if the map is constantly available, but you need to investigate and gather information, which then gives you a better idea of where you need to go. Further investigating eventually leads to a traditional waypoint of exactly where the quest is. This would still allow players to find or stumble upon the quest themselves.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure there will be some guidance intelligently implemented, instead of bashing you over the head with it like previous entries.

I'm I'm very optimistic. Having subtle hints integrated into the incredibly detailed worlds Ubi creates could be a fantastic New direction.

Oh I'm sure they are going to be hints like the target is in that part of the region or that town etc.

Once you get close, the character plays a VO and you are prompted to use the eagle to unveil the objective. It's already visible in the gameplay videos popping around today as a press event occured last week in differente places.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Wow...i never thought they designed their worlds for this...so if they pull it off I'll definitely be in find my own mode.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Since they say it's designed to be played in Exploration mode, I'm interested to see exactly how it's handled. This has made me far more interested in the game than I was. If Exploration mode is pulled off in a way that works for me, then I may actually pick this up.

If they really designed the game to work this way it'll be intuitive and work well. Don't just turn off the map markers and give me zero way to find anything other than aimlessly wandering. Sure thats enjoyable for some things, but hopefully they also allow you to discover things through NPC conversations, literature in the game, etc. It sounds like this is the case, but I'm waiting for some previews showing it off before I get too excited.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Their "Exploration Mode" sounds almost exactly like how Far Cry 5 handled side content. I actually enjoyed this, so this intrigues me.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how massive the map is for this game im not sure how they do this right. I guess BOTW people liked how that worked.

quartet4

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
"The user must investigate the world to uncover targets and quest objectives." Hmm, need to see this in action because it's too vague for me. Like, are we talking about using Eagle vision so it's more like using Witcher's sense? We already had to do that in Origins to spot targets. Or does this mean points of interest are only automatically marked on your map when you're close-by. Maybe a mix of both?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yeah, right... first lets see how well implemented and how good the exploration works in the "Exploration mode".. if it's just the same game but just with all markers and points of interests turned off, then there's nothing to praise them for

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
So I might actually play this one?

Origins was beautiful but I just couldn't shake the feeling I was following dots. And there wasn't any good hud less option (needed to see key items to pick up and health, but didn't want "GO TO ______" floating on screen the whole time.