• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I just picked up the game in the Humble Monthly a few weeks ago and started playing. Everything about the game is great, from the locations to the voice acting, story, etc. First AC game in years that I'm actually interested in playing (doesn't hurt the HDR looks pretty good).

The thing is, while I'm actually having fun with the game, it's so big and has so much content I don't think I'll ever get around to finishing it. I'm more a casual gamer, and the hour or two I spend with it every two days or so doesn't feel like I've gotten anywhere. Uplay says I'm only 34% in. lol

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey is even bigger. Map is huge and bloated (not necessary with fun stuff).

However, i like a lot both AC´s and it was an adicted game.

Also, Bayek is great (but also Kassandra).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I didn't like Origins as much as Odyssey (I like ancient Greece), but if I'd have a suggestion - don't worry about the gigantic world. Stick to the story.

Some people can get into giant open worlds and explore ever single part of them. I'm not one of those people. For me, the giant open world is just a backdrop for the story. If a game has too much forced sidetracking, that's when a game will lose me.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't like Origins as much as Odyssey (I like ancient Greece), but if I'd have a suggestion - don't worry about the gigantic world. Stick to the story.

Some people can get into giant open worlds and explore ever single part of them. I'm not one of those people. For me, the giant open world is just a backdrop for the story. If a game has too much forced sidetracking, that's when a game will lose me.
The thing about this game I've noticed is that a lot of the "side" missions connect to the main story.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The world is filled with tons of repetitive and boring side content. I'd stick mostly to the story.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
AC:O is a great game and all, but really reinforces to me that shorter games with more densely-packed areas that you get familiar with and return to more often make for way more memorable environments and games overall.

This is the mistake I tend to make with these games. I feel the areas have to be meaningful, significant, well-thought out, etc. and it triggers my completionism and need to explore, but for many games that try to portray a sense of realism, you have to open the door for some of the mundane aspects of reality to creep in. Even if that is ancient Egypt. And that also means, you must ignore that need to explore a bit. Sounds counterintuitive at first, but it's the best way to keep yourself interested.

Problem with AC is I haven't cared much about the stories since around Revelations and AC3.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
You don't have to do everything to finish the story, though. You'll likely hit the required level for it before you've even visited some high-level zones.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been thinking about getting origins or odyssey. For those that played both which one do you recommend?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Ubisoft's design philosophy when it comes to their open world titles is that you don't just b-line the main path. Quite the opposite, they want you spending as much time as possible in these worlds even after you finish the main story vs before where it'd feel empty and the side content very clearly had way less resources dedicated to it.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I used to get overwhelmed by huge open world games like the last two AC games, but I've come to grips that I don't need to do everything and check every box in the game. I play until it's not fun anymore. Then I put it down and move on to something else.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I've been thinking about getting origins or odyssey. For those that played both which one do you recommend?
I played both, and while Origins was okay, Odyssey is great. Its basically The Witcher: Greek Edition. I love Kassandra and I find the subsystems in the game fun, if a bit old hat.

Odyssey is a solid 8 in my book

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was overwhelmed until I saw that several of the regions are 90% empty. I'm nearing the end of the main story. I'm level 42 and just finished
The Battle of the Nile.

I'm seeing a lot of level 35-40 sidequests in the northwestern area. Should I finish the main story first or do all those side missions first? The next main quest is level 31.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Yeah, took me around 70h to 8X% it.
And ACOdyssey is even bigger, 102h for 96%

Spent playing each1 half year

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Ubisoft's design philosophy when it comes to their open world titles is that you don't just b-line the main path. Quite the opposite, they want you spending as much time as possible in these worlds even after you finish the main story vs before where it'd feel empty and the side content very clearly had way less resources dedicated to it.

Maybe it was less noticeable in Odyssey because the drop off from the main story to side quests isn't as enormous as other open world games.

My complaint about side quests would be character models and how there's really not many of them. At least after 30-40 hours of the game. You start to see the same faces. Then again, it took me 30 or so hours of content to see enough repeats for me to even notice.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Origins never felt a good game for me. I have put around 50 hours into it and it hasn't grabbed me once. Mostly because of Bad mission design, bad unfocused story, and the huge world with filler.

The world is so huge that no place lefts a mark on you and you never get used to the location and pay attention to details. Also, movement is restricted to previous games

Give me the smaller open world with more details. Even if it has less mission but more variety and better story like horizon any day over these bloated games.

Jaina

Oct 27, 2017
I was overwhelmed until I saw that several of the regions are 90% empty. I'm nearing the end of the main story. I'm level 42 and just finished
The Battle of the Nile.

I'm seeing a lot of level 35-40 sidequests in the northwestern area. Should I finish the main story first or do all those side missions first? The next main quest is level 31.
Continue the main quest, at least for now

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Ok, everyone has convinced me to stick to the main quest. I'm pretty much doing that now anyways. Although the voice acting is so good in the game it's difficult for me to skip the side quests because I don't want to miss anything.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the games are too big. I wish they'd cut at least 50% of the content away, and then I'd probably finish a Ubisoft game.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I did the main story and almost all the side content of origins...

To be honest, the side quests are okay with only one or two being real great. I would to some just to level you up and focus on main story and exploration

And that being said, is one of my favortie games this gen

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I've been picking away at it for a while.

I like

- the combat and controls are miles better than past AC games
- Bayek is a pretty great character
- the setting and time period is perfect for me
- mission design isn't as blatantly awful as the past games
- I like the puzzle scrolls that have you travel to places to get treasure
- being able to basically completely circumvent the modern day stuff if you want

Then there are some things i don't like

- the leveling system which you quickly blaze past the recommended stuff which just means you put level scaling on
- the balance between weapon special effects is pretty bad, health regen for melee weapons seems to be by far the best
- the fact that there are an insane amount of skills and some take 3 skill points (they should all be 1 because otherwise it feels like you're just artificially stalling progress). The issue is a lot of the skills aren't something that should be considered skills at all, you need to level up to learn how to use sleep darts, waiting, pull off weapon combos? What?
- nothing really to buy at all besides a small number of outfits or OP weapons (unless you get the skill that lets you buy crafting materials!)
- the way the main story is basically shafted at a certain point and has you go down a laundry list of assassinations instead of following the main arcs
- even with a custom light UI it still manages to be a bit busy
- the stupid amount of microtransactions
- no ship combat/customization outside of scripted missions

I know I listed a lot of cons but I still love the game and it's my favorite AC game so far but still there are a lot of annoying things.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would take origins/oddysey level of world detail and size and just create an AC2 size city again

imagine how dense and detailed it could be

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I like both to be honest. I see from your comment above that you like odyssey more, might give that a try.

Just imo they are both great games. I VASTLY prefer the Egypt setting but Odyssey has better gameplay systems. You really can't go wrong either way am- they are both huge and lots of fun :)

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a game in the series since 2, did the same thing OP got off the monthly and I'm in love with the game.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Just do what you want, many open world games push a check-list type of playstyle. I found when I just explored I had an amazing time exploring Ancient Egypt. Very relaxing game!

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
You can do 30-40% of the world and still be max level. I did 100% on both Origins and Odyssey and it took me 100 hours each. It was worth it for me because I love exploring and doing shit.

Stick to the story and side quests and you'll be fine.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That's really unfortunate considering how bloated and repetitive their games are to play. They would all benefit from being more focused and shorter experiences.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I really want to play this because of the setting but hearing about the size of the world is a huge negative for me. The only AC I've played is Syndicate, again because I love the setting, but it took me a couple of years to finish because I found it so repetitive.

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, Origins is massive game and really beautiful.

But Odyssey is even BIGGER and MORE beautiful.

I love this soft reboot of the franchise and can't wait for the next one on next gen holidays 2020.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Team Fortress 2
2,915 hrs on record

Dungeon Fighter Online
774 hrs on record

Left 4 Dead 2
604 hrs on record

Marvel Heroes Omega
410 hrs on record

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
389 hrs on record

Grand Theft Auto V
192 hrs on record

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
183 hrs on record

Odyssey is just as long. This is how much i rack up trying to get everything on a single game. This is without the season pass quest. Witcher 3 is higher because of 2 and a half
play through and GTA is higher because of 2 play through, random fooling around and online.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
the tourist mode is really good. That's the main way I enjoy these new ACs. I don't care to play the stories anymore. I play them for photography.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I prefer Odyssey's more RPG approach but yea both games are huge. Great podcast games, and imo the gameplay is satisfying enough even though it's not Dark Souls or anything

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's really unfortunate considering how bloated and repetitive their games are to play. They would all benefit from being more focused and shorter experiences.
then it would not be Ubisoft open world , would it? Sony makes those shorter 30h cinematic open world games .

digitalsea

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I 100%ed Origins, and I plan to do the same for Odyssey when I eventually play it. The loop of going to a new location and completing the objectives, be it a bandit camp or some treasure or whatever, is very relaxing. Sure, it's a lot of autopilot, but it just works for me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's really unfortunate considering how bloated and repetitive their games are to play.
The reason their recent titles have been so successful is because despite being huge and many missions/quests having a similar design focus is that they have invested a ton into making elements of their games dynamic as well as providing the player with a ton of tools and options to tackle objectives. This leads to what they call player driven storytelling where players constantly compare and contrast their experiences and talk about fun things that they went through. So the experience is only as repetitive as you make it. As you get more and more options as you progress, experiment with certain elements, and invest in a playstyle. In this regard, bloat is a very misused term. As nothing feels superfluous or out of place like say, the trading economy system in AC3 that they reworked for the remaster. So despite zooming the map out and seeing that they made a country sized map, it's actually quite focused in how they expect you to progress and explore.

Last edited:

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
They're similar, but it depends on what you value:

- Origins shows a bit more polish, there's a cinematic quality to the game's story and even side quests that isn't quite there in Odyssey. I know a lot of fans prefer it from a story perspective.

- Odyssey is a more fleshed-out RPG; the progression is more rewarding and there are additional systems that make the gameplay feel more dynamic, at least in my opinion. You're given more capabilities for combat, which makes it less of a chore.