• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I've been thinking about getting origins or odyssey. For those that played both which one do you recommend?
Odyssey is better by every metric. If you're really big into ancient Egypt then maybe you'll enjoy that setting more. But I've always found Greece to be the most interesting of the ancient civilizations.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Origins was awesome that is why I am currently playing Odyssey. The AC games have imho the best photo mode in it and I really like taking and looking at photos in these games.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You don't need to do all the side content or clear all the "?" on the map. You should look out for the side quest which gives you Alexander's Shield though. It's not the best shield in game by stats, not by a long way, but it looks great. Anyway, if you're doing all of the content you'll be vastly over-leveled. That's what I did, and I had to bump it up to Hard and enable enemy level scaling, so it wouldn't be too easy. You'll need to do some of the side content though. The DLC is really good too, especially the second one Curse of the Pharaohs.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Yup it's pretty big and I had to stop at the Hidden Ones after finishing the main game because I was simply exhausted.

It's also why I'm scared to play Odyssey.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I didn't like Origins as much as Odyssey (I like ancient Greece), but if I'd have a suggestion - don't worry about the gigantic world. Stick to the story.

Some people can get into giant open worlds and explore ever single part of them. I'm not one of those people. For me, the giant open world is just a backdrop for the story. If a game has too much forced sidetracking, that's when a game will lose me.

I haven't played Origins,but I guess it has quite a lot of filler side content as most Ubisoft games do. I'd say ditch that and stick to main quests or meatier side activities than collectibles or generic timewasting tasks

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm currently knee deep in Origins at the moment, it's the first AC game I've been excited about (and looked forward to getting back into) since Revelations, which ended up being a little bit of a let down in the end.
It's really good, and doesn't feel too big to me (yet, I just got to Memphis).

Also was I the only one to immediately go back to the long hair / beard combo?
Bayek wears it well, I didn't want the haircut.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Odyessey has romance options like Mass effect, they dont show you much, but I enjoyed them. made me more focus on my responses.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey/Origins are ginormous but a lot of the scale is smoke and mirrors when you get into the grind. Not a knock on them by any means, just that feeling of being overwhelmed passes pretty fast when you know what you're doing

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Origins is superior to Odyssey....TO ME.

Egypt just looks perfect. The actual cities and towns looked lived in with real civil infrastructure design and placement (a lot of of places in Odyssey look copy-pasted).

Its also a bit more cinematic. Odyssey feels more gamey.

Dissclaimer: I played over 120 hours of Origins and only 10 of Odyssey (didnt like it)

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking about getting origins or odyssey. For those that played both which one do you recommend?

Origins has tighter design and well written characters/relationships (possibly the best in a AAA game). Origins dials everything up to 11, but the structure is like a weaker GTA/Saints Row game where you're just doing crazy gamey shit, with no story or characterization to speak of.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
The writing of missions is really good although after a while you see that the action is pretty much broken down into a couple of scenarios. Still a good way to make it addictive to keep playing, both Origins and Odyssey do this really well.
It also helps that the Egypt game world is absolutely amazing. Never expected a desert setting to be so interesting.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat the game recently and did a ton of the side content, but near the end I realized I'm literally doing the same shit over and over in different locations. Ended up just going through the story but I still did play a ton and felt like I saw almost every location in the game.

Wanted to pick up odyssey recently but figured I'd get burned out after having played Origins so recently.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Recently finished the main story (and maybe 80% of the side missions). Gorgeous game, Bayek is very likeable. Actual mission variety was kinda bad though, very repetitive.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
*shrugs* I dunno. These games just do it for me. I like giant open worlds. My only problem is I wish they had MORE characters that stood out, who had their own stories you could get enveloped in.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
*shrugs* I dunno. These games just do it for me. I like giant open worlds. My only problem is I wish they had MORE characters that stood out, who had their own stories you could get enveloped in.
Yeah more open world games should take after RDR2 where instead of having a bunch of short side missions just make a long as fuck campaign.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
There's still a "current time period" story going on in Origins, including a playable character and an explorable area, but it's very infrequent (that I've experienced so far, I haven't finished the game yet).
No idea about Odyssey though.
It's still there in Odyssey, same playable character. But only very moderately and it kind of breaks the pacing of the game when it occurs.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The vastness of the desert is truly awesome. I know many prefer level design where the whole space is packed with content, but emptiness is potent in its own right.

Origins is deeply flawed but its world is one of the greatest ever realized in a game.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yes. Yes it is very huge. I actually just lowered the difficulty, and played through the main campaign, with side quests here and there when I wanted to get some new skills or craft some better gear. I beat the campaign, but I left a very, very large portion of the game unplayed. I hadn't even explored the whole map. I love these open world games, but I just don't have enough time to devote to them like I'd like. The atmosphere in Origins is great, and Bayak is one of the series best protagonists since Ezzio. I loved it. I only played a little of Odyssey, but I'm liking Kassandra a lot already, and can't wait to get to play more of that too.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
That's why I don't even bother to play them on PC even though I could, I wouldn't be able to put that amount of hours on a "desktop" game, but if it was on Switch I might try

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Assassins Bloat

Thats how i'd describe origins and odyssey. Big for the sake of being big with nothing interesting or of substance.... But i enjoyed both before the boredom set in.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Origins has tighter design and well written characters/relationships (possibly the best in a AAA game).

Holy shit, what am I reading? The writing in Origins isn't in the same stratosphere as the industry's best AAA games. It's debatable whether it is even above average. I'm baffled by how you could even hold that opinion.

For the best, look to games such as The Witcher 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted series, Red Dead Redemption II, God of War, etc.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Origins is great, but too big imo, without fast travel it would be unplayable.

What I do like though is the well-designed forts/camps/palaces which are like smaller Ground Zeroes levels. The slow strategic stealth is awesome. Give the AC team Splinter Cell and they would make the serie great again.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Be sure to do the daily Reda quest. It only takes a few minutes, and it's a great chance at a Legendary.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I often wonder why people feel compelled to complete every side mission in these open world games. Is it OCD? Is it trophy hunting? I don't give a wet fart about trophies, so that's never a motivator for me, and I don't have OCD, do I don't feel the urge to complete every blip and bleep on the map.

I play side quests when they serve my current gameplay goals. "Oh, I want this skill/item/gear, and I need X amount of XP or materials to get it? Sure thing." Then I complete that task, and go back to exploring the world or the story quests. I don't think either playstyle (completionist or more story focused) is a negative, I'm just always curious about what drives people.

I don't blame Ubisoft for their approach, honestly. Maybe working in the gaming industry for as long as I have has given me a new perspective, but it's often, if a game doesn't have enough content, people complain. If a game has "too much" content, people complain. To me, it seems like Ubisoft has opted to give players options. If you're the type of gamer that adores content (and it can't all be 100% unique content because games aren't cheap to make, and that level of undertaking would require an insane amount of resources), you have that option to engage with it. If you're the type of gamer that wants a more focused experience, that's there too.

I engage with what I need, and ignore what I don't. I beat the game with only a level 36 Bayak, but if I wanted to power level him and make him a beast, I at least had that option to. I didn't even unlock every skill in his arsenal, just the ones that suited my particular playstyle (I'm always very stealthy, so I tried to invest in skills that benefitted that playstyle).

I wouldn't say the games are bloated. Overwhelming if you're a completionist, as the scale of their worlds is massive (as was The Witcher 3; another game I skipped the vast majority of the side quests and just focused on the main story, and the side activities I needed to do to achieve my current meta goal).

The atmosphere and world building in all of these games is incredibly impressive, so I don't fault them for some of the weaker or repetitive elements. I like when games give you the tools to play however's comfortable for you.

I only played an hour of Odyssey at the most, and it seems even bigger (and also more polished) than Origins. I love Ancient Egypt, and has been a setting I've wanted to play in for ages, so I adored Origins, but I also love Ancient Greece, so I'm equally excited to delve into that world too. The RPG systems and more polished combat also seem wonderful. I still can't see myself completing everything, and it took me ages to even beat Origins, but I think AC has really evolved into one of the best third party open World Series in gaming. And I've been playing them since the beginning, only skipping a handful that didn't grab me.

In my mind, Origins is like a reboot of the series, and Odyssey is its sequel, and because they feel so different than the "old style" of AC. More like The Witcher than the last "true" AC game.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, what am I reading? The writing in Origins isn't in the same stratosphere as the industry's best AAA games. It's debatable whether it is even above average. I'm baffled by how you could even hold that opinion.

For the best, look to games such as The Witcher 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted series, Red Dead Redemption II, God of War, etc.

The Bayek-Khemu-Aya relationship in Origins is far better realized than The Witcher 3's laughably poor Geralt-Ciri-Yennefer/Triss relationship or anything in Uncharted; it's easily comparable to Joel and Ellie in The Last of Us or and Kratos and son in God of War. Even Bayek's relationships with Hepzefa and with the Scarab are better developed than any comparable relationship in The Witcher 3 pre-expansion (which takes quite a step back from TW2, to be fair -- and also to be fair, Geralt is about as close to an empty vessel as a voiced character can be).

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I play side quests when they serve my current gameplay goals. "Oh, I want this skill/item/gear, and I need X amount of XP or materials to get it? Sure thing." Then I complete that task, and go back to exploring the world or the story quests. I don't think either playstyle (completionist or more story focused) is a negative, I'm just always curious about what drives people.
You explain it quite well, I'm sure it's OCD for some but for me it's about getting more XP. The games are built to get you to take it slow and do side quests since the recommended level for the next main quest can be quite high if you just rush it. But yeah I don't do all side missions either, just enough to get me up to the recommended level for the next main quest or for an ability point.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Bayek-Khemu-Aya relationship in Origins is far better realized than The Witcher 3's laughably poor Geralt-Ciri-Yennefer/Triss relationship or anything in Uncharted; it's easily comparable to Joel and Ellie in The Last of Us or and Kratos and son in God of War. Even Bayek's relationships with Hepzefa and with the Scarab are better developed than any comparable relationship in The Witcher 3 pre-expansion (which takes quite a step back from TW2, to be fair -- and also to be fair, Geralt is about as close to an empty vessel as a voiced character can be).

The writing in Origins is at best average, and is praised by basically no one besides yourself. The Witcher 3 is heralded across the industry as having some of the best (if not the best) writing in gaming. So yeah, you can have your opinion I guess. Also lol at Origins being comparable to The Last of Us.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Also was I the only one to immediately go back to the long hair / beard combo?
Bayek wears it well, I didn't want the haircut.

I immediately went back to the beard too as he just looked naked without it. Ended up swapping the hair a few times before settling on it shaved. And I still have a tough time selecting an outfit that looks...right. I think I'm wearing the collector outfit at the moment.

I don't know how far I am in the game's story (halfway?) but so far Bayek is my favourite main character from an Assassin's Creed game.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
It is. So is Odyssey, and too be honest, it's really demotivating for me to open the map in these games. So much shit to do, and with shit I mean shit. They're great games, but a lot of the content is meaningless. For a completionist it is really frikkin hard to just ignore one of the infamous Ubisoft "?" on the minimap.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a lot of these open worlds need to chill. Quality over quantity. A liberty city sized area with lots to do is better imo

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I used to get overwhelmed by huge open world games like the last two AC games, but I've come to grips that I don't need to do everything and check every box in the game. I play until it's not fun anymore. Then I put it down and move on to something else.
Used to feel the same try to do it all but now I rarely do. RAGE2 is the last one in years for me simply because the gunplay was fantastic.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I just picked up the game in the Humble Monthly a few weeks ago and started playing. Everything about the game is great, from the locations to the voice acting, story, etc. First AC game in years that I'm actually interested in playing (doesn't hurt the HDR looks pretty good).

The thing is, while I'm actually having fun with the game, it's so big and has so much content I don't think I'll ever get around to finishing it. I'm more a casual gamer, and the hour or two I spend with it every two days or so doesn't feel like I've gotten anywhere. Uplay says I'm only 34% in. lol

While I enjoyed Origins and finished the main story and all side missions, let's not kid ourselves regarding the voice acting. It's absolute crap and even funny sometimses, because of how ridiculous some of the voices sound. Odyssey is even worse.

Origins is great. Odyssey is better.

Origins is great, Odyssey got deleted after 10 hours because I almost died of boredom and annoyance. It's the ultimate checking marks of the map game.

Last edited:

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
I absolutely adored Origins. One of my favorite games of the generation. But the expanse and repetition of the map made me so burned out that I'm dreading playing Odyssey. Really just need to stick to the story this time around.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is something I have never seen. I'm quite amused actually. I like the game more than most, but thinking it has better writing than witcher and is comparable to tlou. Huh

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Loved, loved, loved the desert areas. Could just wonder for hours around them.

Apr 18, 2018
I just love open world games, have done since I first played Ultima VII many, many years ago. It feels like true escapism which is why I play games at all.

The Ass Creed games certainly give you that and whilst some parts of Black Flag, Unity and definitely AC3 felt like you had to grind to get through the main story neither Origins nor Odyssey felt like you had to do that to get the most out of the game. You certainly can grind through it but these games are more of an experience.
I've just finished the main story of Odyssey at 101 hours, got there in 50 hours with Origins, and normally move on once I've finished the main story. However the Odyssey world is just so embracing I'm going back in to finish off the cultists and the mythical beasts, not all side quests but a few along the way and also visit all islands I haven't been to yet, there's about 5 of them. I'll also treat myself to the season pass to rinse everything out of this game.

So it's not so much as I'm not ready to let go of the Odyssey world, more like it's not ready to let me go.