• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised by many of the comments here - for me, Black Flag, because of the ocean, and the ship, was easily the most innovative and exciting AC of the bunch. I was mesmerized by Black Flag, and spent 100 hours on it - which, for me, is ludicrous.

With this game, after 10 hours I'm already starting to lose my mojo. I envisioned a re-boot of the series, not just tweaks to the gameplay. This isn't the innovative AC I was hoping for.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I'm surprised by many of the comments here - for me, Black Flag, because of the ocean, and the ship, was easily the most innovative and exciting AC of the bunch. I was mesmerized by Black Flag, and spent 100 hours on it - which, for me, is ludicrous.

With this game, after 10 hours I'm already starting to lose my mojo. I envisioned a re-boot of the series, not just tweaks to the gameplay. This isn't the innovative AC I was hoping for.
Black Flag is an interesting case. It was a hit with casuals, but it's not that well regarded in the Fandom. It's the most popular case of "it's a good game but not a good X game" I've encountered.

For us accustomed to the narrative ethos and focused land experiences from before, the very un-AC feel of BF, with its focus being on clunky ship gameplay almost made us throw the series out of the window. Not to forget it was thw game where the modern storyline went to hell.

ACO is a return to taking AC seriously.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black Flag is an interesting case. It was a hit with casuals, but it's not that well regarded in the Fandom. It's the most popular case of "it's a good game but not a good X game" I've encountered.

For us accustomed to the narrative ethos and focused land experiences from before, the very un-AC feel of BF, with its focus being on clunky ship gameplay almost made us throw the series out of the window. Not to forget it was thw game where the modern storyline went to hell.

ACO is a return to taking AC seriously.

Actually I've seen quite a few AC enthusiasts rate Black Flag highly in their list of AC games.

Oct 26, 2017
Just met

Cleopatra

I need something to happen soon because I'm losing interest fast for some reason.

Black flag introduce water and ships , syndicate introduced grappling...

This just feels like a retread of everything before those games and I feel like I'm going through the motions here.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Just met

Cleopatra

I need something to happen soon because I'm losing interest fast for some reason.

Black flag introduce water and ships , syndicate introduced grappling...

This just feels like a retread of everything before those games and I feel like I'm going through the motions here.
This one introduces emergent gameplay and absolute freedom. I'd leave the gimmicks for the sequels.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To me, Black Flag was "remember the worst part of 3? Let's center the whole game around that!"

That's what it was to me as well, and why I never bothered playing.

Mercifully, in around 35 hours I've only had to suffer about 5 minutes of Animus shite.

I am thankful for this as well. But man, what a painful 5 minutes it is. They should honestly just dump the modern day shit. It was already uninteresting after Brotherhood. Now it's just awful without Desmond.

Last edited:

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what it was to me as well, and why I never bothered playing.

I am thankful for this as well. But man, what a painful 5 minutes it is. They should honestly just dump the modern day shit. It was already uninteresting after Brotherhood. Now it's just awful without Desmond.

If you 'dump' the modern day stuff the storytelling falls apart.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Black Flag and Rogue even more because of the pirate theme and ship battles. Simply so much fun to play. BF was my first AC game and is still my second best behind Rogue with Syndicate third, Unity fourth and Liberation HD fifth. Tried playing AC 2 after BF but quit halfway through the sequences because I just couldn't get into it at all after playing BF. Of course, going backwards in a franchise rarely if ever works.

As for Origins, I think that it could at least tie BF for my second best AC game. It's easily better than Syndicate, Unity and Liberation. That's for sure.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is where Ubisoft should have eliminated all the modern day crap. Origins should have just been the start of AC and with each following game, you go forward in time with different characters and locations to where eventually, the final game would BE the modern day.

Playing AC since BF, the modern day isn't horrible and I enjoyed what it was but with Origins it should have been eliminated. Playing in Egypt (or wherever) is the draw, not the modern day crap.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

That shit already fell apart after AC3. Doesn't help in Origins when it introduces you to some downright annoying characters. No need to bother with it. Just tell individual stories of assassins back then and that'll be all.

And yeah, I agree this was the opportunity to get rid of it with Origins being the fresh start that it is. But alas, in that moment I saw someone step out of an Animus, I let out the longest groan.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
What people hated the new modern day stuff but did you look on the computer. She takes selfies and has a cool band on her desktop thats what young cool people do right

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
The game is all about Animus so it must be there. Cause all of AC is about Animus and revisiting the past, so people not wanting it = the game won't exist

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was really liking this game. Then I did a mission at level 13 (recommended level was 12) that, once finished, made bounty hunters come after you. I can't do anything in the game now because anywhere i go, this bounty hunter is there and he one hit kills me. How do I beat this dude? It doesn't even tell me his level because he's so much higher than me. Why is that a level 12 mission if as soon as your done you get fucked up no matter where you go?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think having quests actually relating to the main character would make a lot more sense. Have some HQ of some sort, when you help people they might join. Or free a village from the presence of bad people, in a way where you can actually see a clear difference in the before and after. Instead of having shops in the game, which are selling things that don't make any sense realistically speaking, have instead a network of merchants linked to your HQ, and as you do quests they can sell or make new things for you. Even the skill tree is kind of a bad way of doing things. How about when you reach certain conditions (level, skill points, whatever), you get a quest to unlock a skill, instead of just picking it in a tree?

I think every time the player can get something in the game, relate it to a quest instead of just handing it through a menu. They need to make quests, so tie it to the character progression itself instead of just being things to do for people, then fill the rest with things that are more world-building or story related.

The problem is also that main story fit in a DLC. It's well written but awfully told, as the entire game has a strong documented base, but no one to guide you in. The pacing between rendered cutscene, engine cutscene and scripted action is a mess, like if no one was in charge of the storytelling. Most of the time it gaves me the impression to look at a (bad) World of Warcaft machimina from 2006. And I don't know how a player who has no clues about the serie could understand anything about the Animus in this episode.

Also, no faction, no reputation, a craft that is just a sub-leveling system, no branched questline that could give you the impression of an accomplishment (like the drunk baron in Witcher 3), everything is rushed and too easy : just after the tutorial, you already feel like a superhero. The only RPG element is... loot, that force you to change your equipement at every cockroach kill.

I am suprised because I found GR Wildlands, maybe not entirely successful because the game can't chose between a pure crime/police story and a mercenary/military game - but everything around the Santa Blanca was really well written in a good mix between reality (the mexican Zeta cartel) and expresionnism/stylisation, with some reminiscences of the forgotten Max Payne 3.

So, outside world design, I still greatly prefer FarCry Primal over ACO, that in survival mode give some visceral gaming moments, full of tension, stress, revulsion, laugh and despair (and if the engine is not the-overuberimax-topped-stuff, it has beautifull landscape too). ACO is not a bad game at all and a pleasent adventure to parkour, but sadly they did not put all equal effort on world design than on the rest.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I was really liking this game. Then I did a mission at level 13 (recommended level was 12) that, once finished, made bounty hunters come after you. I can't do anything in the game now because anywhere i go, this bounty hunter is there and he one hit kills me. How do I beat this dude? It doesn't even tell me his level because he's so much higher than me. Why is that a level 12 mission if as soon as your done you get fucked up no matter where you go?
Phylakes are a sidequest. Basically they're bosses who're roaming the world looking for you specifically. Avoid at all cost unless you are a comparable level lol as they're incredibly powerful. Just pursue the next target or sidequests for now instead of trying to beat them.

Last edited:

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The game is all about Animus so it must be there. Cause all of AC is about Animus and revisiting the past, so people not wanting it = the game won't exist

True, in theory. But I feel that the game does so extremely little with the Animus and its concept that at this point it literally doesn't matter anymore. You can completely remove the modern day sequences from Origins and nothing would change.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
20 hours in now and still really digging it. definitely has an enchanting quality to it that the series has lacked since Brotherhood.

i do miss the focus on free-running and traversal though.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Aaaand Platinum get. Took me about 85 hours. Hell of a ride. If a month ago you told me I'd ended up enjoying ACO more than Wolfenstein 2 I would've called you crazy.

Excellent game.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, outside world design, I still greatly prefer FarCry Primal over ACO, that in survival mode give some visceral gaming moments, full of tension, stress, revulsion, laugh and despair (and if the engine is not the-overuberimax-topped-stuff, it has beautifull landscape too).

Far Cry Primal's survivor mode, with perma-death enabled, is gaming at its finest. Every second you spend in the world you fear dying - which is how it would've been.

After 25 hours, nearing the end, I was killed from behind by a sabertooth tiger - and I was devastated. The fact that I was so emotional was just amazing to me.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
True, in theory. But I feel that the game does so extremely little with the Animus and its concept that at this point it literally doesn't matter anymore. You can completely remove the modern day sequences from Origins and nothing would change.
Agreed. Animus use isn't deep as it should be but at least there's something important behind. I just don't want to see a futuristic AC just cause of Animus

Oct 27, 2017
To me, Black Flag was "remember the worst part of 3? Let's center the whole game around that!"

Everyone loves the boat stuff, but people pretty easily forget just how many missions fell into the "sneak and stay inside this ring so you can hear a conversation you can't even pay attention to because once you're out of the ring for a second you fail" variety. Hell, you do at least two of those in your boat.

I kinda miss the more set piece "black box" type assassinations of Syndicate, but yeah, this is far, far and away better than Black Flag.

For those still wondering about 1.05 - honestly, just go ahead and play it. Cities like Alexandria might have some rough edges if you go looking for them, but in the moment, it's fine, and still a damn good looking game.

DPAlCHRVAAEa_7K.jpg

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Origins was a good time to drop the modern day stuff but I still hear people wanting a big return of it. I could understand that but the brief moments in Origins don't seem worth it. I'd prefer just an opening cutscene of someone plugging themselves in.

Do you want to return to the Animus the game asks? "you bet your ass I do"

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Black Flag is my most hated AC game, I just don't get the praise because the most thing I HATE in Assassin's Creed games are the tail missions, and yeah.. Black Flag is full of them, not only in traditional form, but with tailing ships as well.. ugh.

Also, Unity is one of my favorite Assassin's Creed games :P.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Black Flag is my most hated AC game, I just don't get the praise because the most thing I HATE in Assassin's Creed games are the tail missions, and yeah.. Black Flag is full of them, not only in traditional form, but with tailing ships as well.. ugh.

Also, Unity is one of my favorite Assassin's Creed games :P.

Exact same for me, loved unity

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Origins was a good time to drop the modern day stuff but I still hear people wanting a big return of it. I could understand that but the brief moments in Origins don't seem worth it. I'd prefer just an opening cutscene of someone plugging themselves in.

Do you want to return to the Animus the game asks? "you bet your ass I do"

Without modern day this wouldn't be it. Main issue is that Ubi knows that but they refuse to make it bigger.

Zeus The Dino

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been bouncing back and forth between playing AC: Origins on my XOne X and OG XOne (depending on if my wife is using the good TV)...

I'm legitimately surprised how well this runs on the original XOne. I just came off 100%ing AC: Unity and AC: Origins just feels so much better to play.

Like Arno is actually moving through an invisible swamp, but Bayek is literally gliding through the world.

If the Witcher 3 controlled like this game, I never would have stopped playing it...
You joking? Game runs like shit the second you step into any second, cant hold a steady 30fps in any city, its horrible for me at least

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The problem is also that main story fit in a DLC. It's well written but awfully told, as the entire game has a strong documented base, but no one to guide you in. The pacing between rendered cutscene, engine cutscene and scripted action is a mess, like if no one was in charge of the storytelling. Most of the time it gaves me the impression to look at a (bad) World of Warcaft machimina from 2006. And I don't know how a player who has no clues about the serie could understand anything about the Animus in this episode.

Also, no faction, no reputation, a craft that is just a sub-leveling system, no branched questline that could give you the impression of an accomplishment (like the drunk baron in Witcher 3), everything is rushed and too easy : just after the tutorial, you already feel like a superhero. The only RPG element is... loot, that force you to change your equipement at every cockroach kill.

I am suprised because I found GR Wildlands, maybe not entirely successful because the game can't chose between a pure crime/police story and a mercenary/military game - but everything around the Santa Blanca was really well written in a good mix between reality (the mexican Zeta cartel) and expresionnism/stylisation, with some reminiscences of the forgotten Max Payne 3.

So, outside world design, I still greatly prefer FarCry Primal over ACO, that in survival mode give some visceral gaming moments, full of tension, stress, revulsion, laugh and despair (and if the engine is not the-overuberimax-topped-stuff, it has beautifull landscape too). ACO is not a bad game at all and a pleasent adventure to parkour, but sadly they did not put all equal effort on world design than on the rest.

What rendered cutscenes? It's all engine, you can equip an outfit and you'll see it in the cutscene. I think you mean some cutscenes are more polished, others are basic. Main story cinematics tend to be more polished, the quest ones less.

But I think the issue is they write the side quest stories to be more self-contained, it gives more lee way to change things for gameplay or narrative reasons without impacting all the other stories.

Personally, I just want the majority of the side quests to relate to the main character himself. In AC1, when Altair got demoted early one, he lost all his gear. Then when you killed a target, Al Mualim would give you a piece back. There was a narrative logic to it. Why not have a quest to complete to get a skill after choosing it, or in some cases you get the skill but it unlocks a quest in relation to it. Instead of making these things just menus, tie them to their own stories relating to the character himself.

Like, let's say you have access to the skill to pull arrows out of your shield, you select it, it gives you a quest relating to helping someone protect their village from bandits, and at some point this person performs this skill in a little cinematic, at the end of the quest Bayek says he was impressed by how he was able to pull the arrow out without breaking it, "can you teach me that?", fade to black, you acquired the skill.

It requires some creative work to figure out interesting ways to tie the skills to quests and not always have the same exact "I saw someone do it, now I learn it" thing, there's many ways to do this, but if you're going to have side quests in your game you might as well tie them to the player progression.

Last edited: