• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
I am at 99% but I don't like the horse races and that's all that's left. I am procrastinating. So I'm reading that DLC has been released? What's in it?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I am at 99% but I don't like the horse races and that's all that's left. I am procrastinating. So I'm reading that DLC has been released? What's in it?

Are these the chariot horse racing or some others? I have avoided the chariot horse racing stuff and just kept going .... I hate horse racing stuff in games (like The Witcher 3)

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Just nipped home at lunchtime and updated. Been looking forward to the first dlc, and an excuse to jump back into this awesome game. Got my fingers crossed that it's a good one.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at Faiyum and I'm still not burned out on side missions. A lot of the writing/scenarios/extra historical detail keeps me entertained, and too many of the main missions have the "go to x camp, retrieve y." For example (side mission spoiler in Faiyum):
While running around in the outskirts of Fairum I encountered a woman standing on the edge of a cliff. Bayek talked her down, thanks in part to his empathy and understanding of grief. He fetched her a feather and explained its significance in Egyptian culture (i.e. how it is weighed against the weight of one's heart). After she came down, a pack of wild cats attacked us and I saved her life again. Seeing death come so close made her change her perspective, and the next time I encountered her she was reading a poem in the entertainment sector of Krokodilopolis, finding a new way to channel that grief. The fact that many of your quest givers have optional dialogue if you seek them out after you've completed your missions in the game world really helps flesh out the believability of the game's narrative. The devs have clearly made a point to explore and explain cultural elements in the game itself, now that they can't just cram it into the glossary.

Finally, I really like how AC:O works children into its game world. They're accounted for, they're involved, and they actually add to the weight of Bayek's grief. He is so kind and playful with kids, and its for them, for a future Egypt, that he fights. It's a good example of how Ubisoft has used its tremendous world building to add to the overall narrative.

That was one of my favorite sidequests. Though tbh, maybe due to time or whatnot, I skip just about every cutscene related to sidequests. Oops. That's cool that you found her in Krokodilopolis though.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
Are these the chariot horse racing or some others? I have avoided the chariot horse racing stuff and just kept going .... I hate horse racing stuff in games (like The Witcher 3)

Yes, I am referring to the chariot races at the Hippodrome (not sure I spelled that right). There's four races and then elite versions of those four.

The new patch makes the horse races easier, it won't make them fun but they will be less of a chore.

Yeah I wasn't having fun and it felt like the AI was exceedingly cheap and had some rubber banding grip on me. If they patched it I'll jump back in and finish it. Besides a few gripes AC:O is hands down one of the best games of 2017 and of the series.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Alright, I got some questions for owners of this game that have played some of the more recent games in the series. I have not really bought an assassins creed since 2, but recently got unity for 99 cents when it was on sale. I have been playing it and the game looks phenomenal despite being 900p on the xbone. I am seriously considering picking up this game (maybe when it is next on sale) but I have a couple of questions. First, I know origins looks great graphically, but how does it compare to unity (it may seem obvious that it would look better but I could see them having to scal some effects back after unity because it ran horrible on original xbone and ps4)? For all that unity did wrong, the materials and baked global illumination look fantastic. Honestly, I have mostly been playing through unity to see the sights in Paris. Second, I know at launch at least the framerate in cutscenes, even on the X (which is what I own), could be somewhat shaky. I know they have since updated the game and changed some stuff graphically, so has the framerate in cutscenes been improved? Lastly, I know the gameplay, especially combat, is supposed ot be much improved in origins. Is there any good videos or reviews that people could point me to that go in depth on the combat/general gameplay?

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Finally will get to post in here (want to play the game blind lol)

Finished the game a few nights ago and not only it has become my favorite game in the series but Bayek went to become among my favorite protagonist in the series followed by Connor and Altair.

The enviroments are incredible, the setting was perfect and the story was cute for the most part but its clear that the game was rushed towards the end because important characters appear out of nowhere, motivations and character development are introduced on the last minutes of the game and the ending as good and shocking as it was it felt bit sloppy.

But even then I liked it a LOT because the world was just so fleshed out and fully realized with interesting NPCs giving you interesting sidequests and the world was filled with tons of little environmental story telling details.

Now, I need to complete some of the sidequests I have left to then jump into the DLC when its available.

but how does it compare to unity
As you said Unity is still the better looking game in the series thanks to the fantastic artistic direction and technical stuff (dat lighting) BUT I have to say that Origins follows it pretty closely because not only the world is bigger than Paris but the artistic direction is just pretty fantastic. Thanks to Senu you can absorb how wonderfull the world is.

Would loved if they added more NPCs to some areas to make them more busy, like some of the Markets and some sections of the cities like Alexandria, but the game run well so i am good if they had to sacrifice NPC density.

Is there any good videos or reviews that people could point me to that go in depth on the combat/general gameplay?
The only video I see similar to what you asked is that one they made @ IGN with the director of the game.

Ubisoft themselves uploaded to their channels several Combat tips videos too to introduce people to the new ranged and close combat mechanics.

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to barely get to level 38 and decided to try that weekly event boss thing.

Attempt #:
1) WTF. This is crazy I can't even get close /dead
2) OK I see you. I have a light bow now! Crap it's 15 levels lower than me. Hold on. TIMEOUT I SAID! /dead
3 - other attempts) /dead
I know the rules now. Let's dance.

That encounter was a lot of fun and pretty unexpected. After the first time I beat it I started it again on accident and easily won. Hope there's more of this ahead. I think I'm only about 1/2 way through the story. More convinced than ever that Ubisoft could create an evergreen Skyrim competitor.

Also, the reminder popup continues to be an unwanted nuisance. Just awful.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
The new update turned my game into a slideshow on Xbox one. Is this happening to anyone else? Frame rate is really bad now

Edit: I fully restarted my game and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Last edited:

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit they did it. They added what I wanted.

Curse of the Pharaohs takes place in
the Valley of the Kings.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The new outfit is genuine perfection.
DTrqCa0XcAILMCc.jpg

Was also hoping the beard would be a mainstay by this point. YES.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
So The Hidden Ones is $10 and Curse of the Pharaohs is $20... and the Season Pass is $40? The only bonus stuff you get is cosmetic after that, right (and I guess some Helix credits, which basically just go towards cosmetic things)? Think I'll just get the DLC standalones and ignore the season pass.

Does the Season Pass also include the Discovery mode? That's being sold stand along for $20 and is something I felt was sorely missing from the base game. If that was included then the season pass becomes a better deal overall for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Does the Season Pass also include the Discovery mode? That's being sold stand along for $20 and is something I felt was sorely missing from the base game. If that was included then the season pass becomes a better deal overall for me.
Discovery Mode is free if you already have the game. They're selling it for $20 as a standalone item for people who don't want the game but want to learn history and explore the world they've created.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Discovery Mode is free if you already have the game. They're selling it for $20 as a standalone item for people who don't want the game but want to learn history and explore the world they've created.

Ah, thanks! I thought that was a weird thing to charge for - and to charge more the same as a story based DLC chapter too!

But with that info, yeah I don't know why you'd spend $40 on the season pass when the DLC separate is $30.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completed the game yesterday. I'm thinking 5.5/10, middle-of-the-road Assassin's Creed game. I'm gonna ramble a bit in the spoiler.
I miss the database. I feel like this is what I want to start out with as it was pretty damn detrimental towards the end of the game. All these guys popping up that I have to kill and I can't even remember them -- or know if I'm supposed to remember them. Everybody's all talking about Flavius and I'm like, "Who?" Then I kill him and... that's not it! The game keeps going on and on and on. Now I'm Aya, facing this dude I've already faced before, and I've killed Caesar even though I've never really had anything against the man. The game also seems to make a big deal with Aya towards the end, and it just got me thinking: Why wasn't Aya the main character? It feels odd that we end the game with her, and Bayek kinda feels like an afterthought. Or maybe it could have been some shit like Bayek gets killed due to Aya siding with Cleopatra and you play as Aya to take the final revenge, and then afterwards you play as her in post-game.

Either way, the whole Aya/Bayek thing did not feel as fleshed out as it should have been. There was something odd about her from the beginning. There was something even odder when you see that you're only able to access her memories in segments (though this only happens once for some reason). I thought the silly twist would be something like she isn't the real Aya, but is instead using Bayek to take down people for Cleoptra. But nope. She fucks up, sulks a bit, Bayek's like, "Hey, buck up, champ," and all is forgiven! Then they split apart at the end because both need to do the same thing but in different parts of the world. K.

Regarding the presentation of the story and the world, I'm disappointed. I was reminded of Witcher 3 and AssCreed 3, this idea of a changing landscape due to war or just the end of an era. AssCreed 3, I felt, had a strong ending, with Connor getting his revenge, but ultimately realizing that it was fruitless, that those he worked for had betrayed him, and his people's land will never be the same. Witcher 3 did a great job of showing all across the land the effects the war has had on its inhabitants. In Origins, the land is being overtaken by Romans. There are fortresses all over the place and you are tasked with taking some out, but it always felt like something in the backdrop. I played a few sidequests that dealt with the issue, but the main quest didn't touch on it enough to the point where (as I said before) I didn't really care much when I killed Caesar at the end.

Regarding the gameplay, I miss mission objectives. It's just so easy to take people out in missions now without any kind of constraints. There's also a much larger focus on combat rather than stealth, which I'm not a big fan of. I mean, prior games had both poor combat and poor stealth, but at least taking everyone out with stealth was somewhat fun. I feel kinda limited with the way I can take out enemies in this game, leading to a lot of battles that feel tiresome. I enjoy this game the most when I play it like any old AssCreed: Find some fort, hop in, take/kill what's needed, hop out. If I'm just riding around the land, stumbling upon places, I can do that. But it doesn't come out too much during main quests.

And those side quests, good lord. For a while, I was doing every one I came upon, but there are just too many. I must have 20+ right now with still more exclamation points on the map. They really aren't that fun as they're all the same junk. And there aren't enough fast travel points for getting around to these quests. They all involve running around a city too damn long or climbing across too many dang mountains for weak rewards. The majority of side quests have that boring shot at the beginning with Bayek and some person talking about who cares what. I eventually started skipping all those types of scenes.

Regarding the lack of fast travel points, I feel like the cities themselves are not designed with running around in mind, you know? The cities in past games were more condensed -- large, but still condensed. There were routes in the cities for parkour, things to launch off of. I didn't feel that way with Origins. Getting around meant just running around on-foot or hopping on a horse. A changed design mentality, and not a very enjoyable one.

And then there's, of course, the modern day stuff. I love that stuff, and this game was quite the disappointment on that front. It starts you off with a giant info dump on the computer, and even then I wasn't sure why I should care about these people. Throughout Egypt, there are those temples you can find that contain even MORE infodumps. It's not that fun sitting there and waiting five minutes for someone to prattle on and on and on about whatever. It can be read over outside the animus, at least.

Might remember more later. I think I'm gonna try for 100% since it doesn't seem that difficult. Just gonna pop on some albums and roam Egypt completing forts and whatevers.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the actual story DLC is only $10 but the "Animus Glitch" zombie DLC is $20? What else comes with Curse of the Pharaohs?

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Wait, the actual story DLC is only $10 but the "Animus Glitch" zombie DLC is $20? What else comes with Curse of the Pharaohs?
Nothing hahaha. But it seems it's what they wanted to focus all along, the fantasy side.

However, the whole "glitch in the animus" thing doesn't seem that accurate, for the source who came up with that was wrong about the timeframe of THO, and the Ubisoft press release framed it more like a canon story, perhaps involving the ank of Eden.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

Aww, 20 hours into the campaign and looking forward to DLC...but not zombie DLC. The big DLC can't be zombies, right? Glad I didn't buy the season pass, if that's the case.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So yeah ive finished the game yesterday and my thoughts after the ending was just "thats it?"

I found most of the story beats kinda weak or pointless.

The game is great but still has a lot of the typical ubisoft mechanics which can get very boring after a while :/

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
These damn Phylakes. I was level 28 and tried to kill the level 20 one. He still won. Any advice? I hate skulking around!

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
These damn Phylakes. I was level 28 and tried to kill the level 20 one. He still won. Any advice? I hate skulking around!

Git gud?

I never really had issues with the Phylakes. I mainly used a sword, charged up (the powerful attack) and knocked the Phylake down, get a few hits, back up and repeat. If you have the ability to drop smoke you can also use that to give you some breathing space.