• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. That's weird. Pretty sure I just hit "X" (PS4) to swim up. I don't use the combat controls at all when I'm swimming. Combat is mapped to RB/RT by default anyway, it shouldn't have required remapping?

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
is this some sick joke? i got into it expecting the same thing we usually get, this has more side missions in the first area then all the other AC games combined i can't keep up i want to do them all but i just over level them and they're spread everywhere
simply overwhelming.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You should play it with enemy level scaling enabled. Much better game then!

And yes, it's friggin huge. A bit too much for me tbh, but I still keep playing it :)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Going back to the game to play the DLC just reminds me how bad the UI options are even after 10 patches. There is literally no combination of settings I am close to being happy with.

Last edited:

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I've finished the main story. I loved the world, and really hated how the game forced lame quests on me by locking main story behind level check.

Most of the characters are boring, Ubisoft got close to recapturing Ezio trilogy's energy with Syndicate, Bayek was fun but he didn't get enough characters and time to work with. Most of the villains only do the AC1 vague postmortem lecture and nothing else. Present world storyline was so half-assed they could've just scrap it until they really came up with something.

Oct 28, 2017
is this some sick joke? i got into it expecting the same thing we usually get, this has more side missions in the first area then all the other AC games combined i can't keep up i want to do them all but i just over level them and they're spread everywhere
simply overwhelming.

Yeah I just started this game 2 nights ago and the amount of side quests is killing me.

Skipping them is not an option for me. I am an OCD completionist to the point of insanity. That's why I can only play as Assasins Creed game about every 3 years.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
But, the quests are enjoyable, at least for me. Sure, there is some repetition, but I think they are different enough. What they should have reduced are all the questionmarks on the map. I did them at the start, but after I realized how fucking huge the map is going to be, I stopped. I just do things if they are on my way to a quest or something, now.

Anyway, I love playing the game. Using different weapons, sneaking, going ham, very fun! And the wold they built is amazing, all the details everywhere on the map are insane. Crazy amount of work.

Oct 29, 2017
So I'm a bit behind on the series...

Finished Rogue a couple of months ago. It was enjoyable enough, good graphics on the One X.

Just finished Unity today and holy crap what an absolute piece of shit game it is. Terrible story, boring setting, and poor performance which mars the good graphics.

Started Syndicate right after and you can immediately see the graphical downgrade, but it's already a more fun game due to the actual characters.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia

Finished Rogue a couple of months ago. It was enjoyable enough, good graphics on the One X.

Just finished Unity today and holy crap what an absolute piece of shit game it is. Terrible story, boring setting, and poor performance which mars the good graphics.

Started Syndicate right after and you can immediately see the graphical downgrade, but it's already a more fun game due to the actual characters.
Rogue is great but you should have jumped directly into Origins.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Why do you play and finish piece of shit games? Just curious. I stop playing if I hate a game.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Any tips for (Pharaoh DLC)

Making the Shadows to not dissapear? Playing on Hard, and they have so much health they end up dissapearing before I can kill them. I see they dissapear after killing all the NPCs around him, but sometimes they ignore me and go kill civilians, so is hard to bait them to not attack them :/

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Blowing through the story missions only took about 10 or so hours maybe. I was also very drunk and finished the majority of Unity in one day.
It's that short? Didn't know that.
And the drunk part is a good explanation anyway :D

The more I play the more I love it. I have such a great time exploring the map, the tombs, and really enjoy the quests. Fun times.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to get through the Pharaohs DLC, but man, I have just run out of willpower

Yeah, scorpions are cool, and those Afterlife zones are gorgeous, but the gameplay is still much too similar to the base game that I've already spent about a hundred hours in.

Maybe I just needed a longer break between finishing the base game, and starting the DLC, but I didn't want to burn out too close to Odyssey.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah the further I get into the expansions the less motivation I have. I mean it's solid content, but they do a pretty mediocre job of fixing or improving the base game.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to get through the Pharaohs DLC, but man, I have just run out of willpower

Yeah, scorpions are cool, and those Afterlife zones are gorgeous, but the gameplay is still much too similar to the base game that I've already spent about a hundred hours in.

Maybe I just needed a longer break between finishing the base game, and starting the DLC, but I didn't want to burn out too close to Odyssey.

It doesn't help that the devs had absolutely no interest in making the narrative of the DLC interesting or coherent.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
How on earth does Origin not have a character database like previous titles?. Including forgettable side characters, it's pretty rough trying to recall folks who reappear during DLC from the main game.

Making the Shadows to not dissapear? Playing on Hard, and they have so much health they end up dissapearing before I can kill them. I see they dissapear after killing all the NPCs around him, but sometimes they ignore me and go kill civilians, so is hard to bait them to not attack them :/

Unfortunately there's no way whatsoever. It's kinda baffling.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the Pharaoh DLC just yesterday and it was just incredibly unbalanced on Normal. Can't imagine playing those awful boss fights on hard.

The only thing that I actually liked about the DLC was the Aaru Map and the Eternal Maw horse. Story was incredibly bad and the map was still too big, for what was actually offered to you.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Unfortunately there's no way whatsoever. It's kinda baffling.

Yeah, those fights were never as fun as they should have been because they are purely a damage race, so using slow weapons is off the table. The only semi-consistent method I found for dealing with them was to use dual blades and a light bow so I could repeatedly get my overcharge to take off big chunks of health.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Oh well, mind you, I find the fights fun, but they're too damn long lol, especially when they can bail out or two-hit you.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia

They are not timed, you must not let them kill all the civilians in the circle, that's when they dissapear.
So pretty much no change from the base game.
It's way worse

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gah, just beat the game.

Kind of a brisk ending, then it just unceremoniously dumps you back in the world. No credits or anything :(

I really dislike how the present-day story is just the dude going "hi, you're an assassin now" and you say "k, back to animus." What is she even doing with the animus, everyone is dead and ppl are trying to kill her, but she's just like, "hold up, gotta get another constellation cause I'm trying to clear this tomb."

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm playing the CotP dlc and I entered a tomb in the valley of kings and I came out in heaven or some shit because this is one of the prettiest video game areas in quite some time. Is there anything that I should be doing here in particular? I'm kinda just picking up my jaw from the ground and picking up some scroll things.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Just finished the game. Made it to level 39. If the game hadn't had the Aya sections or the boat sections this would have been my favorite game in a long time.

Those two aspects dropped this game down from a near 10 to an 8. I wanted Bayek's story and that's all I needed.

I won't go into the specifics of the ending that I also didn't like.

Amazing experience mostly though.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I needed a little break from the game, I don't want to get burnt out by all the quests and work in it ;)

I finally started Witcher 3, holy shit, Origins controls so fucking good. The Witcher is far superior in terms of story and RPG-elements, but boy do I have to get used to the clunky controls and the weird combat.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
They are super short though, considering. I found the modern-day segments to be more annoying than Aya's, though I didn't care for the boat battles either.
yeah I felt they were really short as well, although personally I enjoyed them.

Anyway, all my hype for Odyssey is making me want to play the DLC. I started The Hidden Ones and stopped about an hour in. I started it immediately after finishing the vanilla game so I was probably burned out, but I am really excited to get back into Origins while I wait for Odyssey,

Might clean up and finish the last remaining side quests I have in the base game as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So I needed a little break from the game, I don't want to get burnt out by all the quests and work in it ;)

I finally started Witcher 3, holy shit, Origins controls so fucking good. The Witcher is far superior in terms of story and RPG-elements, but boy do I have to get used to the clunky controls and the weird combat.
Make sure you enable alternate movement in Witcher 3. Without it, Geralt corners like he's wearing cement-lined shoes. The movement can still be janky (especially on a horse), but that helps a lot.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
is the sound quality always this muddled in AC games?

coming on the heels of god of war it was almost staggering to hear everything (the voices especially) sound like theyd been recorded on a microphone from 1910

its a shame because this game space is exceptional, truly a great open world that ubi managed to throw together here with egypt - sucks that the immersion is negated by shitty audio, compounded by the occasional horrid VA performance as well (usually throwaway sidequest characters or passersby, but still)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
is the sound quality always this muddled in AC games?

coming on the heels of god of war it was almost staggering to hear everything (the voices especially) sound like theyd been recorded on a microphone from 1910

its a shame because this game space is exceptional, truly a great open world that ubi managed to throw together here with egypt - sucks that the immersion is negated by shitty audio, compounded by the occasional horrid VA performance as well (usually throwaway sidequest characters or passersby, but still)
You know Bayek's voice is muffled if he's wearing something over his mouth, right?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Origins doesn't have the most detailed or clear sound design, especially if you're comparing it to God of War. It's not terrible but everything does seem slightly muffled and the ambience environmental sounds aren't that convincing.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Fired this back up again 2 days ago. I forgot I hadn't played the two expansions and I own the season pass.

This game may make a 9/10 just yet. Getting to level 42 tonight after work. Hopefully the Animus, Aya and seafaring sections were limited to the main quest only.

Oh...and this is my favorite open world game of all time. Prior to this it was Red Dead.

Three and a half hours later...Level 43.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In case you thought this game couldn't have any more details, the floating scarf hallucination is one big elaborate easter egg.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing this with the Tobii Eye Tracker 4c. It's my first experience with eye tracking, so I have nothing to compare it to. That, and I'm on a 34" ultrawide, which isn't technically supported by Tobii. I'm trying to get a sense of the accuracy I can expect from an eye tracker. Of course, I don't expect to be pulling off headshots just by glancing at someone. Anyone else care to comment on their experience?

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Newly minted 40 - sure this has been beaten to death itt so I apologize

Did the two trial of the gods by killing sobek and Anubis - but the quest doesn't leave my log or indicate progress, I'm assuming that's normal - I did get one legendary sword for each

So in two days the other two trials will pop ?

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to finishing this, I guess that short modern day section with Desmonds father was just a tease? There's no conclusion to that at all unless I totally missed it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The girl in the animus who I totally can't remember the name of right now comes out of the animus and Desmonds dad is there asking her to join the assassins, she's hostile but I guess reluctantly agrees then goes back in the animus and... That's it.
Yeah, that's pretty much all that happens. "Hey, you're an Assassin now, let's go" and then they don't actually go anywhere. "Hang on, William, I've still got to finish the DLC."

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just finished AC: Syndicate (working through some of my back log) and finally picked up Origins (£26) I have to say the jump in quality is great, that extra year of development really paid off, especially when it comes to the controls and bringing in some RPG elements.

Going straight from the slightly janky, stiff character movement of the old games, to Origins much more fluid movement, is like night and day difference and feels so much better to play. It's not 100% perfect, controlling carts / wagons on tight roads (when you need to do a 180 turn) is a little awkward and wish they kept that more like Syndicate (with R2 as accelerate) but apart from that, overall I've found it to be a far less awkward / frustrating experience. Starting it this late, with all the patches probably helps too but it just feels more polished than the older games.

The story cut-scenes are a nice step up in quality, from what I've seen so far anyway and the size of the map is incredible (it's crazy to think Odyssey will be even bigger) It's a great looking game too, which is impressive considering the scale of the game.

This new direction for AC is definitely the right decision and Origins has me way more hyped for Odyssey now.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just beat the Single Player campaign with Minimal Sidequests. The game felt massive at times and there were a number of Level walls that prevented me from pursuing some of the sidequests I wanted to do. That said. I love the new take on Combat. I loved Bayek and Aya and was actively rooting for them to come out together as a couple. Im very happy there is a new game plus as I feel like a lot of the difficulties I had with the flow of the game come from being so under leveled. Im going to give it another go down the line because my the beginning of my play through and the end were spectacular.