• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I like Assassin's Creed 2, Horizon and Watch Dogs 2.

Do you think I'll like this game?
That's not a good point of reference. Did you like The Witcher 3, Horizon or Skyrim? If you liked those games AND the ones you mentioned you'll love this.

I mean, it's part of the franchise, but it feels different enough to not be a direct continuation of 2's style.

Edit: You already mentioned Horizon, so hell yes, you're gonna fall in love.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You'll be taken in the north western areas for the story. Maybe not a lot. But you will.
Haha you're not at the end end (Just end-ish). This game has the same amounts of fake endings as The Witcher 3.

Cyrene is super underused that's for sure, but there's a lot of interesting sidequests there. I'd save them for the post game tho.
Good to know. I guess time to go unlock the rest of the map and do some side quests along the way.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear about the Pro/X problems, this is not happening on base PS4. I've tried zooming in and out with the bow and with the photo mode camera and LOD transitions are smooth. Siwa has a bunch of different types of structures and elevations, but was always smooth.

In-game I've only caught late-streamed-in textures twice, and I only notice the game slowing a bit after making some progress clearing out a fort here and there, or during a synchronization sweep in a few particular areas (Unity was like this). But for open-world 24-hour cycle games on PS4, only Horizon is smoother.

From the titles that people played unpatched while waiting for post-launch things to be corrected, if I remember right Unity took a few months to improve, but The Witcher 3 took many months yet finally got there though, GTA V was fixed in a few weeks, and Just Cause 3 got worse and has only been remedied by PS4 Pro Boost Mode. BOTW, even on Switch, still pauses in certain combat situations depending on the physics involved.

At this point I think Just Cause 3 and BOTW will stay where they are, but based on precedent a solution should come for Origins.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Never been in a situation like this. In front of me i have a great game that i have the urge to play, but i can't cuz this downgrade ruined it. Incredible.
And honestly i lost any hope that they are able to fix this mess. Ps4 pro has texturestreaming problems: Resident Evil 7, Battlefield 1 have noticable issues too regarding this. But the interesting/sad part when we are speaking about AC Origins is that prepatch there weren't any of this issues.
It was absolutely GLORIOUS! I'm so disappointed guys, it's not even funny.

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking elephant. The timing required to dodge these arrows is inconsistent and it's driving me fucking nuts.

EDIT: Oh nvm, I forgot shields existed. I really need to stop playing every action game like Bloodborne.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Can I sleep with Cleopetra?...
tumblr_ovry25hZTs1wpobhho3_500.gif

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Despite all the problems that came with the last patch, the game can still look good:
assassinscreedoriginss1ov2.png

(gameplay, no HUD)

Last edited:

Tebitengri

Nov 7, 2017
It's sad. It went from a Horizon calibur game to just another good looking open world game.

I guess I will go home today and reinstall the game. HDR is great in this game but not worth the downgrade in lighting which doesn't have that next gen feeling anymore.

I thought the HDR was not that great at first and was messing with it for few days then finally was able to calibrate my TV and it was beyond good looking. The trick was to lower the brightness on you TV as well. Mine was set to 2000 /180. The game looked unbelievable.

Weird thing is with 1.03 patch I didn't have a single issue the game was flawless on the PRO but a lot of people are reporting that this was already happening with 1.03.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are these bugs/downgrades effecting PC?

Mine doesn't look worse but last night I was going from stable near 60/ultra/1440p and these huge hitches, caught one at 9fps. Wasn't happening before. But caused me to turn some settings down to low.

Tebitengri

Nov 7, 2017
Despite all the problems that came with the last last patch, the game can still look good:
assassinscreedoriginss1ov2.png

(gameplay, no HUD)

No doubt - it's still looks good :)

I remember getting to Alexandria and was blown away by the structures, dust, lighting and overall image quality. I spend about an hour just slowly strolling through the streets with camera slowly zooming in on the character and thinking how in the world this game looks this good :)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the HDR was not that great at first and was messing with it for few days then finally was able to calibrate my TV and it was beyond good looking. The trick was to lower the brightness on you TV as well. Mine was set to 2000 /180. The game looked unbelievable.

Weird thing is with 1.03 patch I didn't have a single issue the game was flawless on the PRO but a lot of people are reporting that this was already happening with 1.03.
Yeah, it took me a couple of hours to realize i had my brightness too high.

Didn't mess with the hdr settings though. 1000 nits is what my ks 8000 can do and i have no idea what that other setting does.

What tv do you have?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I decided to play Wolfenstein 2 and Mario Odyssey first before AC Origins.

By the time I get to AC Origins the latest patch messed with the graphics. Oh boy, time to wait another week or two.

Tebitengri

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, it took me a couple of hours to realize i had my brightness too high.

Didn't mess with the hdr settings though. 1000 nits is what my ks 8000 can do and i have no idea what that other setting does.

What tv do you have?

KS 8000 55'

When you mess with the paper white keep an eye on the text on the top where it says "HDR Settings" that should give you an idea on luminance on surface - as soon as mine started becoming a little dimmer/transparent i stopped.

Also my tv setting is set to Dynamic Color set to 100.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Where do vultures spawn? I'm only missing two vulture skulls for the skins sidequest.

There's vulture camps around the map. They also spawn around dead bodies (dunno if it every area, I saw them spawn in a camp where I killed everyone, in the desert).

For that quest specifically, there is a vulture nest not too far from where the quest giver is. Go west of the peninsula and follow it north, you'll see a small cliff with some vultures on or around it.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, just had the game crash my PS4 during the cutscene at the beginning of the Lizard's Mask quest - it just changed to a black screen until the PS4 error screen showed up about a minute kater. That's the first major issue I've had with the game in 28 hours of playtime.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a story:

I'm doing a sidequest rowing with a guy across the water to an island he wants me to go to. We're talking, and all of a sudden a crocodile comes up and starts attacking (not part of the quest), launching the guy off the boat and into the water. The conversation stops cold, and I'm moving around trying to deal with the crocodile while thinking the quest is screwed now. I finally slay the beast, but I'm kinda far away from the guy now. I move in closer to him, and he just swims over and gets back in the boat on his own. The conversation then continues right from where we were interrupted. Bravo, AC: Origins.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
There's vulture camps around the map. They also spawn around dead bodies (dunno if it every area, I saw them spawn in a camp where I killed everyone, in the desert).

For that quest specifically, there is a vulture nest not too far from where the quest giver is. Go west of the peninsula and follow it north, you'll see a small cliff with some vultures on or around it.

In the desert areas.

Thanks!