• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
So far they're about where I expect them to be. Really looking forward to this game and the reboot of the franchise.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im most interested in the updated combat. Looks pretty decent.

Can't wait to hop into this one.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next game is most likely being done by the Syndicate team from Quebec, which kind of worries me since I think Syndicate is the blandest AC out of the mainline games.

I hope they get a year off to figure out whats the "lightning in a bottle, gets everyone on board idea".

AC2 had this simply by introducing the idea that these games can take place in other time periods in other countries. What was a novelty then is now the norm.

Origins has always looked good in previews (well, the E3 stuff was lacking imo), but it never had the lightning in a bottle idea like say Cappy letting Mario possess things in Odyssey.

Did you play Syndicate? Had by far the most fun and engaging ground gameplay of any AC game imo. The London sandbox absolutely felt like lightning in a bottle to me.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's at 85 on OpenCritic. Nice but Syndicate got good reviews and actually had trash convoluted leveling and unlock systems so I'll think this over

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't bring myself to pass Wolfenstein or Odyssey for this.

I haven't played the last 3 or so Assassins Creeds, so I don't see any rush to go out and get this one.... Maybe there will be a good Black Friday deal?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Got it coming through Gamefly. And I'm also of the opinion that Syndicate was the best AC game I've played since AC2 and Brotherhood.

mrndkra

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to dive into this and Mario. What a day for gaming. And my gf will want to watch Stranger Things too ugh there's not enough time this weekend.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's at 85 on OpenCritic. Nice but Syndicate got good reviews and actually had trash convoluted leveling and unlock systems so I'll think this over

Syndicate is 77 on OC though, the last one to get 85 was Black Flag which i hated.
But III got 85 (MC), which is loved. I dunno what to expect.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

On the plus side with Origins they've gone harder on it being an actual RPG, so hopefully those gameplay systems feel more at home. In Unity and Syndicate they were definitely half-in, half-out of the RPG shindig.

Syndicate is 77 on OC though, the last one to get 85 was Black Flag which i hated.
But III got 85 (MC), which is loved. I dunno what to expect.

AC3 is the most hated of them all. Unless you meant to type "I".

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is not shipping my copy until God knows when for some reason. I think reviews in the upper 8's or whatever that scale is sound about what I expected.

Truth is, I do love Assassin's Creed. I really love the leading man this go around, I think Bayek's story is going to be awesome. Can't wait to explore the vast map of Egypt and I think the changes in formula will allow some of the staler aspects of the franchise to be given new light. I am excited!

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I miss the franchise but hated Syndicate. AC 1 has the best setting and Brotherhood was the most streamlined gameplay. I might just bite the bullet to see if I enjoy the setting despite preferring AC to be less RPG and more action platformer.

Why did they push towards RPG anyway? They were better before Syndicate added the leveling and junk.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss the franchise but hated Syndicate. AC 1 has the best setting and Brotherhood was the most streamlined gameplay. I might just bite the bullet to see if I enjoy the setting despite preferring AC to be less RPG and more action platformer.

Why did they push towards RPG anyway? They were better before Syndicate added the leveling and junk.

Unity added all that, not Syndicate. And under all the jank, Unity was also a fantastic game, arguably the true successor to AC2 (even though Syndicate is my personal favourite for its "GTA Victorian London" vibe).

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
The Kotaku review seems to give a good full impression of the game. It's a jack of all trades, master of none type of deal. I was hoping it wouldn't be as conservative as described honestly. At the end of the day, it seems like its more AC, but now it borrows some ideas from other games. The problem is that the execution of those ideas isn't nearly as good as the originals. My biggest disappointment is that they didn't change the climbing mechanics. I hate the autopilot magnet jumps. I'd like a lot more agency and some actual platforming challenges.

I guess I'll find out how I really feel about the game once it gets here tomorrow, but I'm a bit less enthusiastic now.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
assassins-creed-origins-has-an-699-special-edition-149730864811.gif

The cat just sold me on this game

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I went with Mario and Wolfenstein first but I really want to play this one as well, the AC franchise has always being a guilty pleasure of mine and my favorite ones have been the ones with older settings, heck I still prefer the first one to many of the most modern ones due to setting alone.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Unity added all that, not Syndicate. And under all the jank, Unity was also a fantastic game, arguably the true successor to AC2 (even though Syndicate is my personal favourite for its "GTA Victorian London" vibe).
Disagree a bit. Syndicate borked the UI and added the real convoluted trees and numbered level requirements and numbers over enemies. Unity was more minimalist instead of trying to do the RPG data overload that Syndicate displays.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Seems like a solid game, but as I expected there's some performance issues and bugs, this will make it easier to me to wait for a Black Friday sale.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you play Syndicate? Had by far the most fun and engaging ground gameplay of any AC game imo. The London sandbox absolutely felt like lightning in a bottle to me.

I've played them all and I strongly disagree.

Syndicate's world felt like a giant trivialization with the hook. It's plot and gameplay design were a step down, and combat felt like a poor mans Arkham.

It's polished, but compared to the rest of the series, It's incredibly meh and bland.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in the dark for the most part about this game. Looks interesting. I'll probably pick it up once it goes on sale. Last AC game I played was Black Flag. Hopefully they've changed the control scheme.

Oct 25, 2017
Take this with a grain of salt, but the first 15 minutes are shockingly bad. Some of the worst I've seen in a game in years. I booted it up last night on a whim and was floored at how poorly it sets up the game, world, and its systems. The initial impression it leaves is awful.
I booted up the game and played an hour before bed. Precisely my thoughts too. It's told through a really chaotic and barely comprehensible cutscene and gameplay snippet. Seems rushed and absurd..the intro that is.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About where I expected. Still excited.

But first, finish evil within II and shadow of war. And Wolfenstein II and Odyssey. Whew. What a year.

Going to start my preload ready though as I'm a sucker and won't help but jump in over the weekend.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, Unity (fully patched) is kind of under-rated. They got rid of a lot of the bloat that had become overwhelming post AC2. Unity was the most streamlined game since AC2. Syndicate brought all of the bloat back and I just can't get into it despite trying multiple times and loving the era. It's the only AC game I've never finished (and I finished Bloodlines!).

I'm looking forward to Origins but I'm worried it's going to be another round of check off all of the points of interest.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
looks ok and reviewing well but you know this game will be $20 cheaper in about 30days so I think I can wait. if there is one constant in the industry it's that Ubisoft games drop in price very quickly.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of expected higher reviews, not sure why. I cancelled my pre-order previously and will wait for sale. Not due to reviews, but no review I've seen has made me regret the cancellation.

Await RE impressions.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hate bloated AC and Syndicate was the most bloated of them all. I consider the RPG elements the main culprit so it's unfortunate to hear this one goes hard on pushing lots of leveling and tinkering to trudge through.

I miss Brotherhood and AC II where the game was quite polished and straightforward, with unlocks being quite secondary and just natural progression with the story. Syndicate was side quest trash and the world was a mess to get around with that grapple. Not to mention the disappointment that they dropped to a weaker lighting system than Unity so the game didn't even look as good as Unity.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Unity vs. Syndicate: I feel as if Unity is the most polished game in the series. Even though Black Flag was released on PS4/Xbone, it was also released on PS3/360. Unity was the first true next-gen AssCreed and it definitely looked it. The lighting, interior decor, and architecture in the game were noticeably above any other game in the series.

With that being said, the characters, story, gameplay, and modern day stuff were all bland and forgettable. The Dead Kings DLC was a step in the right direction, but it was too little too late.

Syndicate, on the other hand, was Unity flipped. It was kinda rough in a lot of areas, and the art style of London was a lot less intriguing than France. The cutscenes were also nowhere near as nice as Unity's. But it was actually fun to play. The modern day stuff was also pretty damn good. Got thrown for a loop with the time rift stuff.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Unity (fully patched) is kind of under-rated. They got rid of a lot of the bloat that had become overwhelming post AC2. Unity was the most streamlined game since AC2. Syndicate brought all of the bloat back and I just can't get into it despite trying multiple times and loving the era. It's the only AC game I've never finished (and I finished Bloodlines!).

I'm looking forward to Origins but I'm worried it's going to be another round of check off all of the points of interest.
Unity is my favorite AC game. Largely due to the absolutely fantastic world. For me a lot of AC is like digital tourism and Unity absolutely nailed that.

Syndicate on the other hand had such an incredibly dull and boring works that I barely managed more than a few hours.

Oct 25, 2017
Take this with a grain of salt, but the first 15 minutes are shockingly bad. Some of the worst I've seen in a game in years. I booted it up last night on a whim and was floored at how poorly it sets up the game, world, and its systems. The initial impression it leaves is awful.

Yeah, definitely not getting this day 1. I'll wait for like 10 patches. I think I'll jump in though eventually. I like the setting at least, and the change to combat seems nice.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I am really into the setting of this game and the last one I played was Black Flag so it is almost time to jump back in. It looks like the year off helped the series a little.

Tonza

Oct 26, 2017
Reviews sound pretty good. Excited to play it since I've completed every main AC game so far.

I did expect a bit more of a departure from the previous games when they said they would take an extra year for this one but I'll see when I play it.

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely have to pick this up for how gorgeous Egypt looks alone, but will probably wait awhile to see if I can't get it a little cheaper. Do like the look of the new combat system even if it looks like it's lacking in feedback.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they're struggling with new game play ideas, might have to bring cars into the next one. :D Egypt looks great though.