• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Two Notes:

1. They listed 7th for Ghost Recon in North America (plus Central/South America) and 10th in Europe/MEA, so it's possible Assassin's Creed was lower than 10th in North America given they didn't list a number.
  2. They're excluding Black Flag from the franchise average playtime to get the 2X stat.

Ubisoft said:
Assassin's Creed® Origins:
o Industry's third best-seller in EMEA in 2017
o Average playtime per player expected to almost double2

2 Playtime projection over the 1st year, compared with the average for the franchise's other games (excluding AC4 Blackflag)
Source: https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/comsite_common/en-US/images/d20180212044758ubisoft fy18 q3 english final_tcm99-318972_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

Last edited:

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Projected playtime over the first year, vs. actual playtime for the first year of the other games or vs the-then-projected playtime? Shades of that The Division 'retention stat'.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I guess only behind FIFA & COD, quite impressive, i actually bought the gold edition last and enjoying the game so far , looks gorgeous on ps4 pro

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why are they excluding Black Flag, exactly?

On the conference call they noted that Black Flag had a larger focus on RPG elements which means it had high playtime compared to other AC games. I imagine the whole sailing thing was why.

So they're just making the numbers look more impressive. Ultimately what they're trying to say is - This, meaning RPG elements designed to engage users for longer, is the direction of future AC games.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great result fantastic game that extra year off helped the franchise

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the game yet but this has certainly been a hell of a turn around for the franchise. It's impressive how they've been able to breathe new life into it

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I added Zhuge's tweet to reflect that it's on track to sell double what Syndicate did and has a strong season pass attach rate.

Alebrije

Oct 27, 2017
Great game , the best AC since Black Flag. They renewed the franchise with Origins ,hope FC5 does the same.....

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow Syndicate really was a massive disappointment then eh. Didn't think it was as bad as claimed here.

Only just started playing Origins so I have no idea as to its quality but most people seem to really like it so that'll be interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow Syndicate really was a massive disappointment then eh. Didn't think it was as bad as claimed here.

Only just started playing Origins so I have no idea as to its quality but most people seem to really like it so that'll be interesting.
i thought the consensus was that Syndicate was good . just didnt sell as well due to Unity's shortfalls and general fatigue?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising at all. All previous games while having large maps were mostly empty and most focus was on the main story, while Origins is filled with content everywhere and with all the RPG elements encourages the players to go out of his way to play the side content to improve and get better gear.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 30 hours in and have only completed the Siwa main quest missions. So much to explore and do. This will easily be the most hours I've put into an AC game.

ACII is my favorite of the series, but this could take that spot by the time I finish it.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand why Black Flag wasn't included as it was available on FIVE consoles compared to THREE for Origins, Unity and Syndicate so it makes sense. If they include Black Flag, they should only count PS4, Xbox One and PC because it's then a fair comparison to Unity, Syndicate and Origins.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they project Origins to be mildly above Syndicate, still being hurt by Unity?

I'd imagine another reason to exclude Black Flag is because it still had a rather big online player engagement, driving playtime up.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Syndicate was actually a good or better game and was a pure single player experience. The reason is sold poorly was because of the clusterfuck known as Unity. After Unity, majority said fuck it, im staying away. LOL.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Good, I hope it means they'll double down on Origins' structure and refine it. I definitely wouldn't say no to more Bayek and Aya too.