• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I always laugh at all the players who are mad that AC didn't stay the same boring concept every game for the last twenty years.

AC Odyssey was a fantastic game and if you didn't play it because it wasn't like AC2 then you are doing yourself a disservice. I look forward to the new stuff introduced in Ragnarok whether this leak is real or not.

Laughing at people for missing something they used to enjoy and has mostly changed seems a little prickish. YOU may have thought it was dull. But there is a fanbase who liked the slower paced, stealth first aspect of the original games.

And im not saying Origins or Odyssey are bad. I think theyre fine games. But some of us miss proper stealth centric games.

Mar 29, 2018
The hidden blade is back and is far more customizable in terms of cosmetics. Can be upgraded to kill in one stab

- Stealth is upgraded by having physical stealth skills such as hiding in mud, snow, crouching in bushes, hiding in bales of hay, etc.- Players can now also hide in crowds of civilians if their outfit/ armor is appropriate otherwise it can attract attention.

- Players now have a reputation system based on quests completed for people in cities, the town officials, clothing worn, crimes committed, etc. Some quests and story missions can only be completed after reaching a certain reputation with kingdoms.
These parts have me thirsty as fuck.

Hopefully true!

Aug 13, 2019
Christ, BOTW's Weapons durability isn't even that bad. The game literally throws weapons at you so often that it isn't even an issue.

Apr 3, 2018
When done well it isn't that bad mechanic.

Not every game with gear durability is BOTW trash.
Some games do it well. I feel like Diablo does it fine. You die a bunch or spend a huge amount of time fighting its damaged but can be repaired. If it's like that then I'm totally fine with it.

If done like Diablo, I have no issue with it. If I die, I have no issue with the game penalizing the durability of my gear.

But losing durability by just using the weapons in the manner they're intended (a la BotW) is punitive and annoying and a great way to suck the fun out of your game.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
If done like Diablo, I have no issue with it. If I die, I have no issue with the game penalizing the durability of my gear.

But losing durability by just using the weapons in the manner they're intended (a la BotW) is punitive and annoying and a great way to suck the fun out of your game.
I agree. I mean even a little durability loss is ok. But in BOTW I didn't even use my best weapons because well maybe one day I'll need them but never did use them because it was like "well is this really worth it?!"

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
This would be preferable. I liked the world of Odyssey, but the gameplay wound me up - enemy level scaling and areas locked behind artifical and arbitrary levels was at odds with the desire to explore.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with weapon durability is that it's either annoying or just kinda there. I haven't really seen an implementation that made the game more fun, but I usually don't really mind it either. It really only makes sense in MMOs as a way of gold sink.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Christ, BOTW's Weapons durability isn't even that bad. The game literally throws weapons at you so often that it isn't even an issue.

In my eyes that is issue with the design. Game burns through your gear with plasma cutter in order to force you to use drops it's shoving down your throat with two hands.

None of the gear is special when it's all just part off even mass you burn through in few strikes.

If you like that design of game drowning you in throwaway gear constantly because how durability works it's fine, I think it's bad design.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Jeez the amount of over the top exaggerated hate I'm seeing in here for BOTW's weapon durability is pretty ridiculous imo.
People acting like it crushed their soul to have to manage weapons or switch and experiment between different ones.

I never ran into a problem where I felt the game was breaking all my weapons immediately upon impact lol I can list so many moments where I felt the durability system actually made my experience more meaningful as it rewarded my exploration.

I used the ones I wanted when I needed them and had a great time, I do think the system could've been tweaked a bit for higher difficulties or could've given us even more unique types of weapons to play around with but overall BOTW did it fine and it wasn't the end of the world.

Of course, BOTW's take isn't the final word on this though so I hope ubi implements their own version well in AC!

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with weapon durability is that it's either annoying or just kinda there. I haven't really seen an implementation that made the game more fun, but I usually don't really mind it either. It really only makes sense in MMOs as a way of gold sink.
Only time I ever liked it was the Dead Rising series. Weapons last just long enough for you to get all your enjoyment out of them and then you can switch to the hundred bazillion other viable weapons around you. It's unlike these RPGs where if your weapon breaks you'll likely have to use a crappy weapon that does way less damage than your usual. And to prevent that horrid future you have to do your hourly chore of repairing your crap.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Weapon durability is just something I tolerate in BOTW. Sure, you never really run out and it's still pretty easy, but I still have to constantly pause the fight to fumble through the weapon slot quick menu, because Link is too much of a dumb ass to auto equip the next weapon slot over. Not much of an issue when slapping around Lizalfos but irksome when dealing with a damage sponge enemy.

The durability in and of itself is fine, but it really needs tweaking in the sequel along with the weapon loot system.

In this game, it won't be a dealbreaker but at least it will be probably better due to the existence of a massive inventory pool and a storage locker which means no abandoned loot. I also have faith if durability happens, there will be a way to repair it. Because unlike BOTW, Odyssey gear was loaded with helpful stats that could be a crime to sacrifice at times.

Also, Odyssey had the secondary weapon system, so if one does break, you can just whip out the secondary with ease.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Hidden blade and the actual Assassin brotherhood is what I need to go back to AC.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Well, let's hope that after this they choose to do a roman inspired one. I can't say that I care all that much about vikings and all this nordic mythology.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds better than Odyssey, the return of social stealth, one-hit kills, village control can be good for passive income gain, like the shops in AC2.

Weapon durability is a downer tho.

Tentatively excited.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
God can we please stop with weapon durability

I don't want to see that shit in AC

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
This leak is making AC:Ragnarok sound really appealing. I got burned out on AC:Odyssey but these changes are making it sound some real improvements. If the store is halfway decent I may manage to suck me in one more time. Plus I have such fond memories of AC:Black Flag as my first PS4 title so I could get it for that reason alone.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Weapon durability and bigger than Odyssey's world just make my head hurt. Maybe durability can be turned off as part of changing difficulty to Easy or at the expense of less XP or harder enemies, etc.

That being said, naval combat taking a backseat with river exploration being a thing now sounds wonderful!

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't even look like AC anymore, can't they just acknowledge how much it changed and spin it as a new franchise? Kinda like how AC was born (based on Prince of Persia) lol

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Laughing at people for missing something they used to enjoy and has mostly changed seems a little prickish. YOU may have thought it was dull. But there is a fanbase who liked the slower paced, stealth first aspect of the original games.

And im not saying Origins or Odyssey are bad. I think theyre fine games. But some of us miss proper stealth centric games.

I get that, but it's a fact that AC was in a sales slump from releasing the same game over and over. The quality was suffering everything.

Things have to change sometimes, and if they hadn't we probably wouldn't get ANY AC these days.

I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm simply saying it seems ridiculous and selfish to wish the series had run itself into the ground so that you could play a game that clearly had lost its consumer appeal.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This sounds better than Odyssey, the return of social stealth, one-hit kills, village control can be good for passive income gain, like the shops in AC2.

Weapon durability is a downer tho.

Tentatively excited.
I completely forgot that simplified city/shop management used to be a feature in these games

AC is seriously one of the weirdest fucking game series (in a good way)

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Climbing trees? Blending into crowds?

this is stuff that's been in AC forever but was taken out after Syndicate. Awful that this counts for new features

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Weapon durability is a huge bummer unless it's like The Witcher 3 and it's super easy to repair. It still sucks though. I'd be down for the game as a PS5 launch title, if it's like Odyssey I'll be playing it until other big games come out. I'm still playing it and have a lot to go before the end.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but it's a fact that AC was in a sales slump from releasing the same game over and over. The quality was suffering everything.

Things have to change sometimes, and if they hadn't we probably wouldn't get ANY AC these days.

I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm simply saying it seems ridiculous and selfish to wish the series had run itself into the ground so that you could play a game that clearly had lost its consumer appeal.
It didn't lose consumer appeal. Ubisoft failed to capitalize on the consumer appeal of BF by gating its sequel to the last gen and giving it a truncated budget while mandating a yearly release schedule when Unity clearly wasn't ready for release which pushed consumers away.

3 and Black Flag were massive successes, if they didn't force Unity out before it was ready and didn't gimp Rogue they probably wouldn't of had the slump they did with Unity and Syndicate.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Sounds amazing if true. Weapon durability is kinda shit, but it depends on how it's implemented. Witcher 3 had durability as well IIRC and it was kinda okay.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Origins and Odyssey brought me back to the franchise after many years so im looking for it.

But how can anyone after Breath of the Wild think that weapon durability is a good idea. If implement too drastic that would be pretty shitty.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Origins was the first game I thoroughly enjoyed since AC2. Odyssey really burned me out on that kind of game, though. Hope this game has more to offer than 90% of the map being bandit or soldier camps with the objectives of killing the leader and looting a chest.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly not big on the raids (did love co-op in Unity though) or the weapon durability. The rest of it sounds fine to me! Especially reworked stealth and the one hit kill hidden blade.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Jeez the amount of over the top exaggerated hate I'm seeing in here for BOTW's weapon durability is pretty ridiculous imo.
People acting like it crushed their soul to have to manage weapons or switch and experiment between different ones.

I never ran into a problem where I felt the game was breaking all my weapons immediately upon impact lol I can list so many moments where I felt the durability system actually made my experience more meaningful as it rewarded my exploration.

I used the ones I wanted when I needed them and had a great time, I do think the system could've been tweaked a bit for higher difficulties or could've given us even more unique types of weapons to play around with but overall BOTW did it fine and it wasn't the end of the world.

Of course, BOTW's take isn't the final word on this though so I hope ubi implements their own version well in AC!

Personally I didn't like BOTWs implementation of durability. It didn't mesh with my preferred play style. I like to be overpowered and BOTWs system is designed largely to not allow that.

In principle I feel like weapon degradation just works as ammunition in games that don't use guns. So it's as fun as any game that has ammo and it's all about balance.

From the sound of it weapons won't break/will be repairable which solves some of my issues with BotW but will rather lose effectiveness over time therefore forcing you to swap weapons when you spend a long amount of time in between towns.

Not sure if it will be fun or not since part of it sounds like they made Destiny with BOTWs loot system but we'll see

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017

It 100% crushed my enjoyment of the game. I didn't even beat it because after about 30 hours of it, I just got tired of finding a decent weapon (not a great one mind you, a decent one) being able to use it for a few fights and then boom, it was gone and it was back to crap weapons. I mean this without a single bit of hyperbole , weapon durability in BOTW Killed that game for me. It is the sole reason I never finished and will never finish.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It 100% crushed my enjoyment of the game. I didn't even beat it because after about 30 hours of it, I just got tired of finding a decent weapon (not a great one mind you, a decent one) being able to use it for a few fights and then boom, it was gone and it was back to crap weapons. I mean this without a single bit of hyperbole , weapon durability in BOTW Killed that game for me. It is the sole reason I never finished and will never finish.

I have no idea what you did. Around the middle of the game I was constantly swamped in decent to very good weapons.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Origins was the first game I thoroughly enjoyed since AC2. Odyssey really burned me out on that kind of game, though. Hope this game has more to offer than 90% of the map being bandit or soldier camps with the objectives of killing the leader and looting a chest.
My man. AC has potential to become something really good, but that's the exact issue.