• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I haven't even touched Odyssey yet, even though I own it. I know I'm going to hate the level gating and RPG mechanics, but I've played everything else in the series so might as well commit.

Making mental note of pirate set

Yeah, the pirate set is amazing. Each armour piece provides bonus assassin damage and higher crit chances and the set bonus is a further boost to all assassin ability dmg. If you combine that with weapons that also boost assassin damage, the game actually plays a lot like the older games where almost everything that's roughly within your level can be 1 hit by sneak attacks. Only things resistant are bosses and special enemies.

Combined wtih rush assassination... oh boy. Unstoppable god. Or goddess, depending on who you pick.

You can acquire the armour pieces by taking down
cultist
ships after completing episode 3 in game. There's guides that tell you where exactly to look for them on the sea.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I'd be in for this. Absolutely hated the massive health enemies had in Odyssey. Made fights extremely tedious and was a major reason why I never bothered finishing Odyssey. More focus on other mechanics is a welcome change.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Weapon durability?

Why yes Ubi, I also felt these games needed one of the single worst mechanics to ever exist.

Otherwise it all sounds good on paper but after Odyssey and Origins I don't feel good about the likelihood of it all being an excuse to extend the massive grind these games now force you into.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
It was even worse in Odyssey. At least Origins had level scaling turned off, so if you did a lot of sidequests you were always comfortably more powerful than your enemies.

Odyssey scaled enemies to a degree where i never felt like i got stronger. Not just in regards to assassinations, but also swordfights. Enemies were way too 'bullet spongy' even when using lvl 50(?) epic weapons vs. regular Athenean foot soldiers.
I agree that the scaling is off in Ody, but Origins issue with being able to one shot every enemy halfway through its hundred hour length was as bothersome.

They need to find a middle ground between the two

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nothing is stopping Ubisoft from showing the next-gen version without specifying platforms. Sony conference would only diminish AC reception because it will be overwhelmed by the PS5 showoff.
Agree to disagree. I think anyone interested in AC it wont matter because they will simply get the game on whichever platform they own at the time. Also, imagine the amount of coverage the PS5 reveal will get when it happens, now imagine all of those videos and articles also mentioning that Sony showed off the next gen version of the latest and biggest AC game ever etc.

Not hard to understand why a pub would want their game associated with the reveal.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I wonder where this game is set cause Scandinavia during that time would have had hardly anything we would call a town. Almost 0 urban areas. Maybe some trade spots here and there.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Hey OP, can you confirm the other leak saying that recruiting assassins like Brotherhood is back?

If so, this will be as excited as I've been for a new AC since maybe 2 or Brotherhood. Have played every one and liked them all, but the best thing I've ever done in the entire series is max out my guild and just hammer left bumper like four times and watch 8 dudes come out of bushes, off rooftops, from the hay in a wagon and just murder everyone. Best the series has ever been imo.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
yum....the early medieval age. if the map info is true, im absolutely hyped for the inclusion of Kiev and eastern europe as I feel in the U.S, that part of the vikings is less known than the English, Western European part.

Please god some trading and etc about Northern European trade links....

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- Up to 4 player drop in drop out co-op like Ghost Recon wildlands.
- Continues heavy RPG mechanics now including different classes and mild skill tree changes based on class. Player class can be changed by a specific character.
- Weapon durability does now come into play, forcing players to use their weapon pool more effectively and forced to manage a smaller inventory that can be upgraded
- Players now have a reputation system based on quests completed for people in cities, the town officials, clothing worn, crimes committed, etc. Some quests and story missions can only be completed after reaching a certain reputation with kingdoms.

After playing every single release of the franchise, yeah I think I'm finally done with AC games if the above is true.

What's the point of even keeping the same name? It's a new IP at this point.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Weapon durability is wack, rest sounds good enough, and...

Please don't listen to this man.
Hey now Odyssey is my favorite in the series, I even own the Art Book, but it doesn't fucking end!

I've now had it for over a year, and after 80 hours, I'm only 70 percent complete with the main quest. These games need to be leaner.

This is gonna be way bigger. Which is scary. But it's made by Montreal, and they proved themselves with Origins. What an amazing open world they made there.
Oh God no

Love the world design of Black Flag and Origins though. Those two are head and shoulders above Odyssey, which isn't varied enough, though I suppose that may be historically accurate.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Thank goodness I'll be playing on PC. I know a mod will come out that gets rid of weapon durability and I won't have any problems using it. Absolutely despise that mechanic in games.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff sounds pretty good other than the durability BS. Hopefully it's a mostly lenient durability system at least.

Oct 27, 2017
I was in up until weapon durability and needing to upgrade the hidden blade to make it do what it's supposed to.

☹️

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The hidden blade being a 1 shot again actually has me more interested than anything else
My purchase is gonna have to come down to the visuals and art style because I actually like the premise

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Man I love weapon durability and tight inventory management so I guess this is made for me. For those of you who dont you have my sympathies.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
It was even worse in Odyssey. At least Origins had level scaling turned off, so if you did a lot of sidequests you were always comfortably more powerful than your enemies.

Odyssey scaled enemies to a degree where i never felt like i got stronger. Not just in regards to assassinations, but also swordfights. Enemies were way too 'bullet spongy' even when using lvl 50(?) epic weapons vs. regular Athenean foot soldiers.

If you weren't tearing enemies apart at that level, you were doing something very wrong. I left scaling at full so that I was always fighting equal level enemies, and most one-on-one fights are over in seconds. It only gets hairy with several mercenaries.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
If this is true it seems nice, just sucks that the map is so large. Was hoping for a more tight experience.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hey now Odyssey is my favorite in the series, I even own the Art Book, but it doesn't fucking end!

I've now had it for over a year, and after 80 hours, I'm only 70 percent complete with the main quest. These games need to be leaner.

This is why I leave some side quests and additional content after beating the game, so if I'm burned I can just drop it, or if I'm left wanting more I have more content. I think I finished Odyssey around 50hs.

Biggest problem with Odyssey map was the long sea full of nothing, but Origins map was almost as big without sea and was so good IMO.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Did people actually like the co-op stuff from Unity? The whole point of the game is trying to make your way through an area without blowing your cover. Having 3 other people running around surely would break that. I'm fine if it's still an option, but it seems like a way to introduce more live service stuff into a game that doesn't need it.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
If it's a massive map with MMO style side quests then no thanks, I'll pass. If you're going to emulate the Witcher then do it properly already. If there's no compelling narrative or characters it's all pointless to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I was in I was so so so in until these two word were read

"weapon durability"
Plz don't make this the new every game mechanic plz! I hate weapon durability

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Everything sounds good except for the 4 player coop. Will be playing solo

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Weapon durability needs to go the fuck away already. It's one of the worst gameplay mechanics ever put into a game. Guess I'll pick up the PC version if there is a way to remove it using cheat engine.