• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
fKfOPj0.jpg

As part of an Assassin's Creed Stories initiative, and as announced by Eurogamer (and shared to members of the Mentor's Guild, a group of fans and members of the Assassin's Creed online community) multiple new titles and entries into the multimedia franchise based on the video game are in the pipeline for release in 2021, in lieu of a new mainline title in the series. These titles all fall under a new category system that establishes what type of story they tell:

• Classics, which adapt stories told previously in the games.
  • Chronicles, which feature new stories following Assassins established in other titles.
  • Originals, which feature brand new settings and characters in the Assassin's Creed series.
The titles that are part of this initiative are:

1. Assassin's Creed The Ming Storm, a translation of the Chinese language novel, starring Shao Jun from Assassin's Creed Embers and Chronicles: China, which adapts the events of the game in part. [Chronicles]
  2. Assassin's Creed Valhalla graphic novel, a bande dessinée/graphic novel set in the same time period as the game Assassin's Creed Valhalla, with the same creative team behind the French language short webcomic of the same name. [Chronicles]
  3. Assassin's Creed Blood Brothers, the translation of the Chinese language manhua Assassin's Creed Valhalla. [Chronicles]
  4. Assassin's Creed Fragments, a series of French language Young Adult novels following pairs of siblings across different time periods, titled Assassin's Creed Fragments: La lame d'Aizu (lit. "The Blade of Aizu", taking place in Japan during the Boshin war), Assassin's Creed Fragments: Les Enfants des Highlands (lit. "Children of the Highlands", taking place in 13th century Scottland), and Assassin's Creed Fragments: Les Sorcières des Landes (lit. "Witches of Landes", set during 17th century French witch trails). [Originals]
  5. Assassin's Creed Turbulence in the Ming Dynasty, an Chinese language audio series, following Shao Jun. [Chronicles]
  6. Assassin's Creed The Jade Seal Collection, a series of 10 novels (!!!) exploring Chinese history through the eyes of Assassin's Creed, from the 4th to the 17th century. [Originals]
  7. A yet untitled Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag sequel Korean language "webtoon", following Edward Kenway after the events of the game. [Chronicles]
  8. Assassin's Creed Dynasty, a paperback publication of an original Chinese language web manhua that is set in 755 CE China as the Tang dynasty collapses. [Originals]
Of note is that many of these were already announced, though not confirmed for an English release (though the article itself still doesn't confirm this). The only "new" announcements is the graphic novel, the audio series, the series of 10 (!?!?) novels about Chinese history, and the Black Flag sequel series.

Additionally the interview included in Eurogamer's article, touches a bit on the announced Assassin's Creed series (live action and animated) made in collaboration with Netflix:

There was a Netflix live-action show announced last October, is that something you're working on too?

Azaïzia:
Yeah. [Silence, laughs.] I can't give you any more information but we have secured a couple of talents and are working with them on the show. We don't have anything more to announce apart from we're working on it and have been taking our time. We learnt a lot from the movie and have a really strong team behind it, and I'm super hopeful and super happy for the format. I think the TV series format works better to craft an Assassin's Creed story.

Than a movie? I agree.

Azaïzia:
Yeah - you have to pack so many things for newcomers in a movie - you have to deal with multiple timelines, Assassins, Templars, Isu... you have to come up with something cleaner, or you can have a TV show where you can pace it in a different fashion and take your time.

There was a Netflix animated series, too...

Azaïzia:
It's still active - it's the guys who brought us the Raving Rabbids TV show which have also announced the Far Cry animated series. Those guys really focusing on that. It's not the next project which is coming up in their pipeline but it's still in their hands. It hasn't been canned.

More of the interview can be found at Eurogamer.
www.eurogamer.net

Ubisoft details Assassin's Creed Black Flag webtoon sequel, Shao Jun books, Netflix projects

There's no big new Assassin's Creed game this year - instead, Valhalla instead lives on through expansions set in Irela…

AC_Publising_Cover_Graphic_Novel_Gl__nat_20210421_6PM_CEST.png

Valhalla bande dessinée.

AC_Cover_Ming_Storm_Roman.png

The Ming Storm novel.

AC_Publishing_Cover__BloodBrothers_20210421_6PM_CEST.png

Blood Brothers manhua.

AC_Publishing_Cover_AC_Fragments_La_lame_d_Aizu_20210421_6PM_CEST.jpg

Fragments novel.

AC_Publishing_Turbulence_in_the_Ming_Dynasty_Podcast__20210421_6PM_CEST.jpg

Turbulence in the Ming Dynasty audio.

AC__Publishing_Cover_A_Prophecy_of_the_Emperor_The_Jade__Seal_Collection_20210421_6PM_CEST.png

The Jade Collection novels. (10 of them?!)

AC_Publising_Cover_Webtoon_20210421_6PM_CEST.jpg

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag sequel webtoon.

AC_Publishing_Cover_AC_Dynasty_Manga_20210421_6PM_CEST.jpg

Dynasty manhua.

Editorialising a bit here, but note that that the cover image features images from Assassin's Creed Valhalla Song of Glory, a graphic novel prequel to the game, and The Blade of Shao Jun a manga following Shao Jun. They really will do everything but give a proper Shao Jun game, huh?

Make a 10 (!!!?!??!!) novel series on the history of the Assassin's Creed franchise if old.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
webtoons and YA novels are when you know a franchise has hit it big

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The crazy thing is there are so many Assassins Creed novels already and I don't know anyone who's read one, but they are doubling down on this I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed_(book_series)

I know there are more than that too, like novelizations of all the main games. Just look up Assassins Creed on Kindle. I'm sure there are 40+ books out there.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only setting that does not have a game (not chronicles) is china of those 3, that makes me think it will be the next one

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
....methinks China is going to be the next game, seeing as how they're...*counts*
..quadrupling down on China-set projects

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how much of this will be localized for the English market. The Audible AC Audio Drama from last year was decent enough fun. The previous YA Novels in the form of Last Descendants were also really nice as a longtime fan of the series lore.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Black Flag webtoon... I'd LOVE an actual game sequel to Black Flag

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
The crazy thing is there are so many Assassins Creed novels already and I don't know anyone who's read one, but they are doubling down on this I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed_(book_series)

I know there are more than that too, like novelizations of all the main games. Just look up Assassins Creed on Kindle. I'm sure there are 40+ books out there.
Please feel free to peruse this visual representation of the series to marvel at the sheer scope of it.

Missing a few bits of the new stuff tho.

Wonder how much of this will be localized for the English market. The Audible AC Audio Drama from last year was decent enough fun. The previous YA Novels in the form of Last Descendants were also really nice as a longtime fan of the series lore.
Some of these have confirmed English localisations, such as Dynasty and The Ming Storm, but you are probably more likely to get french translations, since they prioritise those.

Last edited:

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is cool and all but there's no reason Shao Jun should continue to be relegated to side material. Give her a full game already.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am disappointed there is no game this year. It looks I will hold off playing the DLC until next year then.

A lot of different media, hopefully they don't write themselves into a corner again.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Interested in the 10 novel series on Chinese history. Wonder when the first will come out.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a Shao Jun game. Adapt Embers as the prologue and we could even get one last Ezio cameo!

I mean, the plot is already there and it's freaking awesome. Expanding it into a full game should be relatively easy, and China has so much natural beauty to draw upon!

From the wiki if anyone is curious;

During the interregnum following the Zhengde Emperor's death, Zhang Yong—the leader of the Eight Tigers, a Templar faction—ordered a purge of all those who opposed him, which included the Assassins. Jun and her Mentor, Zhu Jiuyuan, fled west to seek out the retired Mentor of the Italian Brotherhood, Ezio Auditore da Firenze.

Two years later, Shao Jun returned to China to take her revenge on those who previously destroyed the Brotherhood. Over the course of six years, together with a Master Assassin named Wang Yangming, she successfully eliminated all of the Tigers, prevented a Mongolian invasion, and, despite Wang's death, rebuilt the Chinese Brotherhood and spearheaded it as its new Mentor.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
black flag should've just gotten a sequel in the form of a game. Edward had such a great arc in the game and it's crazy how they never revisited him despite his "golden years" as an assassin being spent in London.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Still holding out hope Skull and Bones is turned into more of that.

Just give me
Black Flag
With Odyssey engine and mechanics
Multiplayer and co-op
593DF3BA793DFD82BA76038A900D3FE4709A24E3

God damn what a game

And you wouldn't get game as good as BF was with all of that. BF and other AC games before Origins were memorable because they had coherent and focused story and characters. Black Flag had mediocre gameplay but those characters were awesome and memorable.

And regarding transmedia, since they moved and finished Juno plot in comics they ruined a lot of good will among the fans. And it looks like they are continuing to do that. Their plots for games are already a mess and they are doubling down on story outside of them that will make things even worse.

Blood Brother preview, more details
OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
New details at Game Informer, including release dates and a preview of Blood Brothers:

www.gameinformer.com

Ubisoft Is Expanding The Assassin's Creed Universe, Exclusive First Look At AC Valhalla: Blood Brothers

Assassin's Creed already has games, books, comics, and movies, but now Ubisoft is looking to expand that AC love even more with a new initiative.

The article also includes more synopses, as well as a new detail about Ubisoft's newest transmedia push:

Ubisoft is launching this new creative hub soon on April 21, alongside a brand new website to host new content going forward.

This would be the third Assassin's Creed website Ubisoft has launched meant to be a hub for transmedia. Assassin's Creed Initiates, which was lauded by fans for including a whole bunch of really cool story bits and details on the wake of Assassin's Creed III, and which introduced a whole bunch of characters and concepts that are still in use in AC stories, as well as the Assassin's Creed Council which had nothing, noone used and died a pitiful death.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
New details at Game Informer, including release dates and a preview of Blood Brothers:

www.gameinformer.com

Ubisoft Is Expanding The Assassin's Creed Universe, Exclusive First Look At AC Valhalla: Blood Brothers

Assassin's Creed already has games, books, comics, and movies, but now Ubisoft is looking to expand that AC love even more with a new initiative.

The article also includes more synopses, as well as a new detail about Ubisoft's newest transmedia push:

This would be the third Assassin's Creed website Ubisoft has launched meant to be a hub for transmedia. Assassin's Creed Initiates, which was lauded by fans for including a whole bunch of really cool story bits and details on the wake of Assassin's Creed III, and which introduced a whole bunch of characters and concepts that are still in use in AC stories, as well as the Assassin's Creed Council which had nothing, noone used and died a pitiful death.

As someone who was part of Ac initiate from the start it was really painful when they pulled the plug. Since then they are doing everything to ruin lore and they are pumping so many things that even they don't know what story it is anymore.

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Do the protagonists of the YA novels...kill templars?
Why would they not? Do you think people don't die in YA novels?
As someone who was part of Ac initiate from the start it was really painful when they pulled the plug. Since then they are doing everything to ruin lore and they are pumping so many things that even they don't know what story it is anymore.
I followed Initiates from the start as well, it was a great website and the community involvement (following the crew of the Altaïr II, solving puzzles, figuring out who was the spy) was fantastic. It's a shame Ubisoft didn't even bother archive it themselves. Have to go to Access the Animus or the Wiki, and those are not the way they were meant to be experienced, really.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Why would they not? Do you think people don't die in YA novels?

I followed Initiates from the start as well, it was a great website and the community involvement (following the crew of the Altaïr II, solving puzzles, figuring out who was the spy) was fantastic. It's a shame Ubisoft didn't even bother archive it themselves. Have to go to Access the Animus or the Wiki, and those are not the way they were meant to be experienced, really.

I actually tried to at least recreate that timeline

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Still holding out hope Skull and Bones is turned into more of that.
June 12 2021
Ubisoft Forward coming to close
"One more thing..."
Trailer for pirate game, looks great, much more open world/sandbox than original reveal
Doesn't show characters close up, mostly ship vs ship combat with scale and scope of entire Caribbean Sea
The title Skull and Bones cover the lower two thirds of the screen
Four more words fade in on above them:
Assassin's Creed Black Flag:

This is my personal omega cheeseball fan fiction for the next two months lol.

Oct 27, 2017
No love for AC3 and giving closure to Connor?

Black Flag was a terrible AC and I hate that it gets attention because a pretty boy who happens to be pirate who happens upon an assassin's robes and performs tail missions and checklist hunting was what people wanted over the conflict of integrity and naivete of a half colonist, half indigenous person.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
I REALLY hope they aren't going to make the next game depend on having read/seen all of this stuff to make any sort of sense, hate when games do that.

Oct 25, 2017

Black Flag was a terrible AC and I hate that it gets attention because a pretty boy who happens to be pirate who happens upon an assassin's robes and performs tail missions and checklist hunting was what people wanted over the conflict of integrity and naivete of a half colonist, half indigenous person.
Connor literally reminded of movie Anakin Skywalker in attitude, acting quality and dialog.
3 also nuked the modern day storyline nearly entirely
It also somehow made the American Revolution boring...

Literally one of my all time gaming disappointments.

Oct 27, 2017
Connor literally reminded of movie Anakin Skywalker in attitude, acting quality and dialog.
3 also nuked the modern day storyline nearly entirely
It also somehow made the American Revolution boring...

Literally one of my all time gaming disappointments.
Guess we all have our opinions but I vastly preferred the mission variety of 3 vs BF.

And again, I loved the constant conflict Connor was faced with. Father figures, family, honor, liberty, integrity etc. He was being pulled by all of these figures but was his strongest when on his own doing the Homestead missions. The fact that that doesn't get a sequel because it was too subtle or too much for fans when they just want a power fantasy is my biggest gaming disappointment.

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Wow AC as a YA series could be really dang good. I would never have thought of that. 🤔
It's not even the first. There was also The Last Descendants trilogy, which was pretty alright.

An issue of Assassin's Creed Reflections, number 4 serves as a little epilogue for Ratonhnhaké:ton.
I REALLY hope they aren't going to make the next game depend on having read/seen all of this stuff to make any sort of sense, hate when games do that.
Eh, they're more likely to move things from the games to the other stuff than the other way around. As the main villain of the series got killed in the comics. There's a cameo here and there and some mentions in an email, especially in the modern day stuff. Chances are you will never need to know who My'shell Lemair or Arend Schut or Gavin Banks are.

Shao Jun novel to be a trilogy, two more trilogies
OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México