• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
It's that time of the year again folks! As soon as March comes to an end and April begins, you can smell the sweet sweet scent of Assassin's Creed leaks.

So xj0nathan, a French youtuber who's had a lot of right info about the series in the past, including talking about Valhalla way before it was announced, has been teasing a smaller, Rogue/Primal/New Dawn-sized game as an appetizer for late this year / early 2022. If you want to know more about the potential setting of that game, check out this Reddit post by user /u/BrunoHM, who has pretty nicely summarized and theorized all the info. I'll put a spoiler tag just in case you don't want to know.
With that said, yesterday a new development happened. xj0nathan found a file on the newest update referencing a "DLC3" called "Meteor", with the two others being called "Ireland" and "Francia". While there has been some weird in-game events regarding some players encountering meteors, this is most definetely an internal codename (just like AC Rogue's was "Comet").

So what do you think? Would you be interested in something like this? Bear in mind that it will probably be a small game, reusing tons of Valhalla's assets and gameplay.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for a setting in Asia. I didn't really like Valhalla, because of the repetitive puzzles/activities, nasty glitches, the new map system and the repetitive raids. They need to do a lot to get me excited again.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Isn't the second DLC set in North America? So, Francia wouldn't be that one, right? Meteor could just be the North America DLC.
I'm ready for a setting in Asia. I didn't really like Valhalla, because of the repetitive puzzles/activities, nasty glitches, the new map system and the repetitive raids. They need to do a lot to get me excited again.
India would be cool.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Middle Ages are boring imo, they should go back to Antiquity if they have to stay in the mediterranean (Still hoping for a "Roman Empire at it's peak AC"). I would prefer something different though.

OP
OP
MGPanda

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Isn't the second DLC set in North America? So, Francia wouldn't be that one, right? Meteor could just be the North America DLC.

India would be cool.
Only two DLC have been announced (although Ubisoft has officially teased "a longer post-launch support than Odyssey"); The Wrath of the Druids, set in Ireland, and The Siege of Paris, set in France. North America (or Vinland, rather) is part of the main game.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Imperial Rome was the obvious next step after Origins and Odyssey and it's pretty aggravating it still hasn't happened. But more middle ages is cool too.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Only two DLC have been announced (although Ubisoft has officially teased "a longer post-launch support than Odyssey"); The Wrath of the Druids, set in Ireland, and The Siege of Paris, set in France. North America (or Vinland, rather) is part of the main game.
Ah, I just remembered seeing Native Americans in a trailer. Haven't been able to get far in the game since my PS4 Pro keeps overheating and crashing.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like still waiting for Japan setting, whenever that is.

Yeah Tsushima still hot, but I believe they could do it if they want to... 🙄🤷

Oct 25, 2017
The Comet project would like up with Ubisoft Sophia as they've been rumoured to be working on this smaller AC and we're the studio that lead Rogue's development.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
We're never getting an Indian or Asian assassin's creed, are we?

Valhalla's story is awful and I got tired of people telling me "God loves me" while trying to kill me so fast.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A smaller scale AC game could be cool, especially in that time period. Could also be an excuse to get more experimental with the gameplay to test new mechanics ahead of future games. Like a larger focus on stealth since it's been fairly weak in Origins era of the series.

OP
OP
MGPanda

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
We're never getting an Indian or Asian assassin's creed, are we?

Valhalla's story is awful and I got tired of people telling me "God loves me" while trying to kill me so fast.
I truly feel like this is like, the one time that they're actually doing it, lmao. Ubisoft knows the demand there is for AC games set in Asia, and they were probably waiting until the next big jump (like Black Flag -> Unity) to make it the most mind blowing it could be. Hopefully India and China are closest than we think they are, although 1917 Russia and pre-Columbian America are easily my most wanted settings.
A smaller scale AC game could be cool, especially in that time period. Could also be an excuse to get more experimental with the gameplay to test new mechanics ahead of future games. Like a larger focus on stealth since it's been fairly weak in Origins era of the series.
I think so too! I actually made a thread a while ago about how I like smaller games made by smaller studios that, while will try to be as cheap as they can and reuse as much as they can, they always manage to feel fresh and original in a lot of ways. Hell, AC Rogue is easily one of my favourites in the franchise, being the only time they actually tried to make a Templar game and not just a "you play as a Templar for like an hour". Hopefully this one also fits that description, it certainly would make sense considering the rumours!

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
More Valhalla DLC makes sense. There's the whole matter of why
Eivor's grave is in North America
that needs to be addressed that's not likely to come up in the France or Ireland DLC.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
While playing Odyssey I was thinking that they should do a full on remake of AC1 and AC2(+B and R maybe as a one game) with Odyssey template. A sequel to AC1 is basically this although I'd still prefer a proper remake.

Oct 30, 2017
It won't be a third expansion, the season pass that Ubisoft have been selling and announced even before the release of Valhalla contains two expansions and they have a world and release schedule for.. all already planned and set in stone like usual, they will not just throw 3rd expansion as a surprise lol.

Likely a smaller scale sized AC game set for release this Q4.

Anything "SMALLER IN SCALE" is mostly welcome after the Valhalla and Odyssey.

OP
OP
MGPanda

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
It won't be a third expansion, the season pass that Ubisoft have been selling and announced even before the release of Valhalla contains two expansions and they have a world and release schedule for.. all already planned and set in stone like usual, they will not just throw 3rd expansion as a surprise lol.

Likely a smaller scale sized AC game set for release this Q4.

Anything "SMALLER IN SCALE" is mostly welcome after the Valhalla and Odyssey.
It could be an "expansion", kinda like Freedom Cry technically was a Black Flag DLC that was also playable as a standalone title. It most certainly won't be included in the Season Pass, as you said. I could see it being a ~40€ title though.

But yeah, as someone who has 100%ed Odyssey and Valhalla... I'll appreciate a smaller title, for sure, lmao.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm playing the game again so I can see a meteorite. No luck yet.

While playing Odyssey I was thinking that they should do a full on remake of AC1 and AC2(+B and R maybe as a one game) with Odyssey template. A sequel to AC1 is basically this although I'd still prefer a proper remake.

I'd love a AC1 remake. And a ACIV remake in 2023 (in it's 10th birthday).

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Would be an interesting time setting but I want Rome. I think its fake.

I would not be surprised if there is remake of AC 1 included in the season pass.

I just hope there is another Assassins Creed this year.

Last edited:

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
That could just be the modern day locale for the first half. Wouldn't be the first time they set up the opening of the game in different locations than the in animus stuff.
I don't know if you have seen China lately, but it doesn't look like this.
Assassins-Creed-China-Concept-Art.jpg

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I've figured Ancient China is going to be a setting soon – because of Fenyx Rising. The game came out of the Greek research for Odyssey; and they're doing a China expansion. Figures they're using research for other AC games as well

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
More Valhalla DLC makes sense. There's the whole matter of why
Eivor's grave is in North America
that needs to be addressed that's not likely to come up in the France or Ireland DLC.
That could be wrapped up in any number of ways though - there's no reason why it couldn't be handled in the France DLC, and also nothing stopping Ubisoft adding in a free epilogue-type quest to explain it, similar to the multiple free quests added to Odyssey.

This particular rumoured expansion would not particularly help explain this either.

How has a Three Kingdoms era AC not happened yet?
Probably the sheer scale of the setting. It definitely wouldn't have been possible to do it justice with a game set in a single city. It's probably only since the leap in scale to Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla-sized games that this setting could be considered. It seems pretty clear that it wasn't at the top of the list of settings that Ubisoft wanted to explore with this new gameplay style, but it's appeared on a few Ubisoft surveys for most-wanted settings for the series, so it's probably going to happen eventually.

I don't think this will be another expansion either, since the rumours are pretty clear that it's a new game from Ubisoft Sofia. However, there's nothing to stop Ubisoft doing more expansions to Valhalla, the roadmap video they showed before release hinted that what they were announcing was not the end, and they've talked about supporting Valhalla for longer than Odyssey. I don't think a third expansion to Valhalla is out of the question, and I also suspect that if a third expansion were released it would not be included in the season pass.

(Conversely, if Valhalla ends up with only two big expansions, then that's a big drop from Odyssey's season pass, which had two big expansions plus the remasters of ACIII and Liberation. Exactly how that would be perceived would depend on the scale and scope of Valhalla's expansions, but unless they're transformational I think Valhalla's season pass is going to be generally considered to be worse than Odyssey's.)

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

Not saying you're wrong, but note their wording in this post-launch content trailer. Referring to this as "the first year" of content. Hard to say what their plans are for 2022 but it wouldn't shock me to see a Year Two pass of some sort for this game.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao I love the yearly AC leaks

I'm in for whatever is next. Valhalla was my GOTY last year tbh lol, so I'm fine with more DLC or a smaller side game. Gimme everything, Ubi

Also please don't let go of Jesper Kyd ever again, thanks 👍

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Wild guess about that reference to the 3rd dlc in the game files couldnt that be the discovery tour dont they normally treat that as an expansion pack.

May 25, 2019
London
Middle Ages are boring imo, they should go back to Antiquity if they have to stay in the mediterranean (Still hoping for a "Roman Empire at it's peak AC"). I would prefer something different though.

Don't get how Roman Empire wasn't the third game after Origins and Odyssey. Could've tied into the modern day story better too since AC2 and Brotherhood both happen there

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
If this is really made by Sofia, it makes sense that it might be an expansion/pseudo sequel a la Freedom Cry or Curse of the Pharaohs, playable standalone (as in FC case).

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if you have seen China lately, but it doesn't look like this.
Assassins-Creed-China-Concept-Art.jpg
Clearly it does, don't you watch Fox?

For the record I did not see that concept art and I would assume that might be sometime between Eivor and Altair's time periods so it doesn't look too futury to me.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I doubt this because i have been asking for the crusades again for years. I want an AC1 remake. This seems too good to be true.

I am in day 1. The crusades and AC2 were my favorite time periods used.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What they should do is an AC 1 remake that remakes the whole story of Altair from start to finish. With Arabic accent Altair and more story. Yes, that means Bloodlines and the DS game's stories in the same game.

Palestine and Syria in the crusades would be awesome in a modern AC game. Even more so if they don't go overboard with the RPG stuff (would rather they go the Ghost of Tsushima way instead).

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Yes please, it would be my first AC since AC 1 back in Ps3. I'm only interested if templars and crusaders are involved.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Wild how given the breadth and depth of the entirety of human history, nearly the only two things this series can ever come up with are "Mediterranean antiquity, again" and "lol idk, England & near Western Europe for the umpteenth time?"

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Despite really enjoying Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, "shorter game" and "Assassin's Creed" in the same sentence is music to my ears. I don't want another 60 hour + AC.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Even if it's shorter, don't think I'll get to it this year if it does come out by then. I'm playing Valhalla on and off since launch and don't think I'll be done with it until the end of the year. Game is massive, though I find it more approachable by taking breaks from it. Same reason I held off from buying the season pass as well.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft stays coming up with interesting ideas, but the games always turn out a hot mess to me. I am interested in a "short" experience from them though.
Wild how given the breadth and depth of the entirety of human history, nearly the only two things this series can ever come up with are "Mediterranean antiquity, again" and "lol idk, England & near Western Europe for the umpteenth time?"
I don't play these games, but this seems like a matter of asset reuse and making sure gameplay mechanics work no matter the setting?

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019

India would be cool.
Upcoming DLC is set in Ireland 'Wrath of The Druids" end of this month. The next one will be set in Paris during the Viking Sieges end of this year.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Been thinking it would make sense for them to go back to the Crusades, but I was hoping for a full next-gen leap with it rather than a re-read of Valhalla. I'll still play it though, I like these, and will definitely be grateful for something more compact than Valhalla if that's the case.