• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Two youtube channels confirmed the frame rate, they don't know for sure what is the resolution, they say the quality is quite good and both assume it is 1440P, I think the same seeing these videos, maybe there is drops if it is needed.
The game is very good looking on the S.

Google translated Youtube comment:
The game already includes the native Series S patch, I have not uploaded or will upload games running on Xbox Series S if they do not have that native patch, because it would not do it justice, we would be seeing the Xbox One S version of it. For those concerned about resolution, I don't know, I don't have the pixel meter or the bionic eye, so when those who do have it speak I'll put it, I'd say 1080, they say 1440p, yes, 30fps, it's captured at 4K and that's the most you can see.

His quote, translated by me:
On the Series it runs at 30FPS, I don't know the resolution but I guess it is 1080P or 1440P, I am playing on a 1440P monitor and the quality is very good, but I don't know how to do pixel counting, I don't doubt it is native 1440P

Allegadly Series S 60FPS gameplay.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats strange, i thought the cpu of the x/s were largely the same. It runs at 4k (probably dynamic) 60 on x

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
1440p is good but 30 FPS seems like a letdown.

S will be the only 'next-gen' console running the game at 30 FPS.

Should have gone for a dynamic 1440p, or static 1080p if that allowed 60 FPS so there's more parity with the Series X version.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm interested in series s vs one x comparisons.

Anyways 30 FPS on next generation is disappointing.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand - I thought the X and S were basically identical on CPU?

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good for a $300 console. A huge difference with the big brothers!!

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it 4K/60 on Series X? Both resolution and frame rate take a dive for Series S?

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Wait. Isn't it running in a higher resolution on One X? I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.
I'm interested in series s vs one x comparisons.
Series S will ''lose'' in resolution but it will be better on everything else.

not the best source, OP
I know Edu's channel and he isn't unreliable, I don't know the other channel but they have both Series.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't understand - I thought the X and S were basically identical on CPU?

They are, but the game is probably GPU limited on Series S. Not sure why they went 1440p30 when they likely could have done a dynamic 1080p60, but different developers will utilize the systems differently.

Really disappointing though, and I hope that the devs patch in a 1080p60 mode. Regardless of that, the One X to XSS comparisons will be interesting at least...

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm fine even with dynamic 1080p and 60fps, but not 30fps. :(
This one said that the game is running at 60fps in the comments. I think we'll have to wait and see:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Seems like the same, maybe even worse than the One X build if history is anything to go by. For $300 though, fair enough.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'm honestly getting more and more impressed with this little system. Games seem to regularly be releasing at 1440p (Gears 5, Yakuza LAD, AC:Valhalla, Dirt 5, Star Wars Squadrons), one game hits 4k 60fps (Ori and the Will of the Wisps) there are numerous games getting 120fps modes (Gears 5, Ori, Star Wars, Dirt 5), and at least one game with very impressive Ray Tracing at 1080p 30 fps (Watch Dogs Legion).

Sounds like a great choice for anyone playing on a 1080p 120hz, or 1440p 120hz monitor or TV. It may even still look great in 4k. It will be really interesting to see how this thing does if AMD's super resolution feature turns out really good.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm honestly getting more and more impressed with this little system. Games seem to regularly be releasing at 1440p (Gears 5, Yakuza LAD, AC:Valhalla, Dirt 5, Star Wars Squadrons), one game hits 4k 60fps (Ori and the Will of the Wisps) there are numerous games getting 120fps modes (Gears 5, Ori, Star Wars, Dirt 5), and at least one game with very impressive Ray Tracing at 1080p 30 fps (Watch Dogs Legion).

Sounds like a great choice for anyone playing on a 1080p 120hz, or 1440p 120hz monitor or TV. It may even still look great in 4k. It will be really interesting to see how this thing does if AMD's super resolution feature turns out really good.

I mean, this really isn't the best game to be impressed by the system with, as it's dynamic 4k60 on XSX/PS5 while being very possibly dynamic 1440p30 on Series S, but I feel that this is a fringe case along with DMC V Special Edition (hopefully). I'm hoping they patch in a 1080p60 mode (should be around the same graphical power required with minimal tweaking.)

But yeah, this system definitely seems impressive, and I am really excited for the insanity that is going to be Star Wars Squadrons at 1440p120 on the XSS. Super resolution also seems like it will allow this thing to punch above it's class as well hopefully

Oct 30, 2017
Surprised they had to cut the frame rate like that.

I expect most AC games going forward to be 30 fps once the current gen is left behind.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
If there's no 60fps I'll be pissed. "THIS PISSES ME OFF!" like AVGN says.
If the game has dynamic resolution it shouldn't be hard to make a dynamic 1080p 60fps mode. Com'on Ubisoft!! I know you're reading this.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Can we get that title updated? Eyeball test to "think" it's 1080p-1440p doesn't deserve a title stating it as fact.

Look forward to seeing some actual tests once more outlets get the S.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I mean, this really isn't the best game to be impressed by the system with, as it's dynamic 4k60 on XSX/PS5 while being very possibly dynamic 1440p30 on Series S, but I feel that this is a fringe case along with DMC V Special Edition (hopefully). I'm hoping they patch in a 1080p60 mode (should be around the same graphical power required with minimal tweaking.)

But yeah, this system definitely seems impressive, and I am really excited for the insanity that is going to be Star Wars Squadrons at 1440p120 on the XSS. Super resolution also seems like it will allow this thing to punch above it's class as well hopefully

The general thing that's impressing me is seeing the visual quality of the games appear to be really close on both Series X and S, with mainly resolution being the difference. 1080p 60fps would also be a great option here, but I think 1440p 30fps still works great for Assassins Creed. Hopefully they release a patch with dynamic 1440p 60fps on Series S down the line.

I mean, 60fps will be a huge advantage for Series X and PS5, but I could imagine the game will still look really nice on a 4k TV from a normal viewing distance. It will be interesting to see comparisons between XSS and X1X too. I could see the general image quality settings just looking better on XSS, but X1X having a resolution advantage.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If true, this seems extremely poor. I know Valhalla is a newer game, but my 980ti performed on about the level with odyssey and that card is ancient.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The general thing that's impressing me is seeing the visual quality of the games appear to be really close on both Series X and S, with mainly resolution being the difference. 1080p 60fps would also be a great option here, but I think 1440p 30fps still works great for Assassins Creed. Hopefully they release a patch with dynamic 1440p 60fps on Series S down the line.

I mean, 60fps will be a huge advantage for Series X and PS5, but I could imagine the game will still look really nice on a 4k TV from a normal viewing distance. It will be interesting to see comparisons between XSS and X1X too. I could see the general image quality settings just looking better on XSS, but X1X having a resolution advantage.
Yeah that's fair honestly, and I am with you that I hope they release a 60fps patch.

And yeah, the upscaling tech in the Xbox has always been really good, dating back to the 360 even. Playing a 480p OG Xbox game with no enhancement other than some AA (I think) still looks pretty good on a 1080p panel because of how good the Xbox upscaling is. Add in much higher fidelity graphics and a resolution that scales nicely (1080p) or is closer to 4k and already high quality (1440p) and the image on an XSS will absolutely look incredible on a 4k panel.

And yeah, Watch Dogs is already showing that's pretty much exactly the case between XSS/X1X which is pretty great honestly

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
If true, this seems extremely poor. I know Valhalla is a newer game, but my 980ti performed on about the level with odyssey and that card is ancient.
This falls more on Ubisoft's optimazation.

I mean, they themselves are not sure about the resolution, the title makes it sound like something certain
Can we get that title updated? Eyeball test to "think" it's 1080p-1440p doesn't deserve a title stating it as fact.

Look forward to seeing some actual tests once more outlets get the S.
Sorry I didn't know how to word the uncertainty then I just let the 1440P there, but there is the explanations in the OP.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Not a good sign we're failing to get framerate parity before X or S have even released.

The central pitch of S was supposed to be feature parity at lower fidelity - i.e., it's supposed to be the same overall experience. The hardware support is theoretically more than sufficient, too - essentially the same CPU and a lower-powered but feature-complete little brother to Series X's GPU. Given this, I find this news surprising and disappointing.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

The 980 ti is still an excellent video card yo. It's still on par with a 1070, 5600 XT, RX Vega 56, or mobile 2080 Max-Q card.

Having said that, a console that not only performs similar to those cards, supports Ray Tracing, has an 8-core Zen 3 Ryzen CPU, and includes a 500GB 2.4GB/sec NVMe, all for $299.99 is mighty impressive. The 980 ti might be 5 years old, but that thing also cost $649 on its own back in the day on its own.