• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which rumoured Silent Hill game is the most exciting?

• Mainline sequel with Masahiro Ito

Votes: 245 70.6%
  • Mystery Bloober Team game

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Episodic spin-off by Annapurna

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • Sakura: Playable Teaser

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • "For me, it's always like this"

Votes: 60 17.3%

• Total voters

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
As can't spot them on Twitter, here's the high-res versions of the pictures I posted before.

uo0d08jvkiz81.jpg
2n5u98jvkiz81.jpg
rqas3ajvkiz81.jpg
8ivvn9jvkiz81.jpg
81delajvkiz81.jpg
r1ce7ajvkiz81.jpg
9bq47bjvkiz81.png

www.videogameschronicle.com

Konami’s Silent Hill plans could include a remake, full sequel and episodic stories | VGC

Bloober Team is one developer understood to be working on a revival of the horror franchise…

Assuming the rumours are true and you're not living in a Silent Hill of your own, which upcoming Silent Hill game appeals to you the most?

Silent Hill 5 (mainline soft reboot)

latest

The next mainline entry in the series, this game will reportedly (according to Dusk Golem) be a joint production between multiple developers and will involve series co-creator Masahiro Ito and Sony. Video Game Chronicle previously reported a soft reboot from a "prominent Japanese developer," although VGC and Gematsu disagree on whether or not Hideo Kojima is involved (probably not). Not much is known about the game, but Dusk Golem promises that no one has successfully guessed the story yet and there are many surprises to come. Ito previously stated that he would refuse to work on a new Silent Hill game unless he doesn't have to use the iconic Pyramid Head or can kill him off in the opening scene. I suppose it was only a matter of time before Pyramid Head found himself on the wrong end of the knife.

Sakura: Playable Teaser

r1ce7ajvkiz81.jpg

Silent Hills: Playable Teaser made quite the splash in 2014, but will lightning strike the same place twice in the Otherworld? Seemingly tied to the leaked photos provided by Dusk Golem, the theme of this playable teaser seems to be cherry blossom trees, a symbol of the ephemerality of life in Japan. VGC reports that it will be a free digital title to drum up hype for the future Silent Hill projects and Masahiro Ito previously expressed an interest in using cherry blossom trees as horror materials back in 2018.

Mystery Bloober Team entry

The-Medium_02.jpg

This one has been in development for quite some time, seemingly going back to the first half of 2020. Bloober Team seems excited, as they have previously described it as a "dream project." It will be the first of their titles to implement combat, with Bloober having hired a programmer for the task as of 2021. Recent rumours suggested that it would be a remake of the series' most acclaimed title Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams. However, Bloober denied it in a recent interview, stating that they would not work on another studio's IP unless they are able to tell a brand new story without being shackled by what came before. Konami also had no Silent Hill remakes in development as of September 2020.

If a true remake is out of the question, perhaps a total reimagining of Silent Hill 2 is still on the table? After all, Silent Hill (1999) received its own on the Nintendo Wii with Silent Hill: Shattered Memories in 2009, a game that took the premise of the original and took it in a different direction.

Episodic Anthology

Lastly, we have an episodic spin-off of the Silent Hill series. Multiple sources report that Supermassive Games (Until Dawn, The Quarry) made a pitch for this game in 2018, but were ultimately turned down. Video Game Chronicle reports that the title was eventually greenlit and publisher Annapurna Interactive might be involved with the project. It is described as an anthology Silent Hill "stories" game. Interestingly, they have published games from Sam Barlow (Silent Hill: Origins, Shattered Memories), who has been planning a spiritual successor to Shattered Memories since 2020.

May 26, 2018
I'd be okay with just the first option being made.

Though if it doesn't have Akira Yamaoka then wtf are you doing

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Until I find out if any of them are third person, none.

Zero interest in anything first person, and I don't care who's involved.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
The one with Sony's funding

you know Konami is a piece of shit company and will make a low budget trash

addik

Oct 28, 2017
The one with Ito,

but the Annapurna one does sound very very interesting I have to say.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I haven't been paying attention the last couple days, I thought "SH5" and "Sakura" were the same project? Has Dusk or any other good source said they're seperate?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Hopefully they're all 1st person, 3rd person isn't scary.

A 1st person silent hill 2 remake would actually be worth making. Completely new experience.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not all that interested in IPs being revived unless the original creatives are involved. Or at least a creative team that I know makes games I'll be into regardless of the IP. I mean, if a good game comes of it, I'll be all for it. But I won't be interested in it sight unseen.

So going by the OP, I'd be interested in Silent Hill 5 with Ito involved. Everything else... eh. I'll decide when I see more. I would be just fine never seeing Silent Hill again if a revival will be anything like the last time they did these games without Team Silent.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
New entry developed by a competent team. I don`t care if Ito is involed nor if it`s a sequel (I`d take a reboot).

Last edited:

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably gonna get burned at the stake here but I'm most looking forward to that rumored Silent Hill 2 remake (by Bloober or not) as I've played the original for maybe an hour back in the day and would like to experience this fan favorite in a modern outfit.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
If Sony's involved with one of them, then I'd have to assume it would be playable in VR. So I gotta go with that one

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I don't know enough about them yet to feel anything.

But it's not going to be the Silent Hill 2 remake by Bloober Team.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It depends who the main one is made by, which is presumably the one Sony is funding? maybe? Its insane that no one has said who is making it except for one person saying it was Kojima. If he truly is doing it, then sign me the hell up.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It's hard to say when we know literally nothing about any of them. But the answer is whatever Masahiro Ito is involved with. From the beginning ANY staff from the original games coming back was the ideal scenario so as far as I'm concerned we're living that.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
How about none option?

It depends who the main one is made by, which is presumably the one Sony is funding? maybe? Its insane that no one has said who is making it except for one person saying it was Kojima. If he truly is doing it, then sign me the hell up.

Kojima doing crappy graphics? That is a first in history. Even P.T. that is supposed to be made by an indie which forced them to downgrade the graphics as a ruse still looks miles ahead than many of its clones.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
for me I think it's the Ito project and then the Sakura teaser. but realistically tho, I need to know more lol

deadlygantz

Oct 15, 2019
Never played the old ones so the one that is Bloober Team is developing. If it is true, I feel like that it will be welcoming to the new players as well.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Never played the old ones so the one that is Bloober Team is developing. If it is true, I feel like that it will be welcoming to the new players as well.

Each entry is more or less self-contained, and that will definitely be the case with a new one which will probably take a soft reboot path. You can start on any entry, in fact, most fans have. The only one that kinda relies on the context of a prior entry is SH3.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Mainline game with Masahiro Ito for now, the other projects could be interesting tho.
Combat was always at the very bottom of my list of reasons to replay SH, so an Until Dawn type of game sounds like a good idea in paper.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm only "interested" in the project that has original staff members (even if it's just Ito doing art). After Double Helix, Climax and Vatra I'm pretty much done giving middling developers the benefit of the doubt.

My prediction for the episodic thing is that it'll be a fun ride that doesn't quite feel like the classic Japanese Silent Hill. I really enjoyed Until Dawn as an interactive slasher film, but I just can't see them pulling off something as somber and subdued as Silent Hill. 90% of Silent Hill games involve a character walking around the town by themselves with minimal cast. Maybe it's because "episodic Silent Hill stories told by English writers" makes me think of those terrible Silent Hill comics.

As an aside, what's the point of a "soft reboot" when every game outside of SH3 is entirely self contained with no overarching plot? Whenever I read that it sounds like something a board room executive would pitch without knowing anything about the franchise. Old and dead = needs a reboot

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Love how some SH fans are so deep in their depression not even 1 out of 4 (!) possible games excites them. Don't worry, not all of them will be Bloober.

I'll take that mainline entry and hope they call it 5 despite the Japanese title of Homecoming everyone forgot about anyway.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction for the episodic thing is that it'll be a fun ride that doesn't quite feel like the classic Japanese Silent Hill. I really enjoyed Until Dawn as an interactive slasher film, but I just can't see them pulling off something as somber and subdued as Silent Hill. 90% of Silent Hill games involve a character walking around the town by themselves with minimal cast. Maybe it's because "episodic Silent Hill stories told by English writers" makes me think of those terrible Silent Hill comics.
For some reason, I remember some of those comics going hard on the "00s perception edgy" by featuring lots of goth and punk-ish characters with tattoos and multiple piercings because "SCARY.... that's not normal! Look at how DISTURBING these 'alternative style' folk are... oooooooooo!" having them as murderous Cult of Samael members or killers, or something. That was kinda that late 90s/00s version of "those devil-worshipping metalheads" in the 80s. "Ooo, look at that girl with the purple mohawk, eyebrow, nose and tongue piercings, and a tattoo sleeve... ISN'T SHE SCARY?!!!"... no. I've known girls like her. They're chill!

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I'm gonna say the Sakura teaser. I love Silent Hill when it's being sentimental and subversive at the same time, and I'm curious to see how they'll do that playing with cherry blossoms. That leaked picture is pretty Silent Hill 3 in its vaginal imagery, and Silent Hill 3 is my fave.

As for the rest, don't know enough about Bloober to comment, and after 12 Minutes, I'm intrigued but not excited for the Annapurna one. The mainline sequel is the one I'm least excited for because I would like a semblance of a Silent Hill presence before diving in.