• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Definitely has certain parallels in our reality. I have always found WH40K's fetishizing of war (as a perpetual state of existence) very American. Plus the religiosity of it all something out of today's KSA/Vatican. In the end, it is fiction that stretches the realities of this world.

Absolutely, but it should always be remembered that the 40k universe is a shithole. The Imperium is a decayed husk in direct opposition to the wishes of its founder, afflicted with a decadent and degenerate priesthood and a hyper corrupt administratum. To me, one the most compelling elements of the universe is that it is satirical - all our worst impulses taken to their illogical extremes

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Absolutely, but it should always be remembered that the 40k universe is a shithole. The Imperium is a decayed husk in direct opposition to the wishes of its founder, afflicted with a decadent and degenerate priesthood and a hyper corrupt administratum. To me, one the most compelling elements of the universe is that it is satirical - all our worst impulses taken to their illogical extremes

I think it's little odd that Imperium doesn't really have that faction that is at extreme of technological invention, rediscovery and advancement. I know that in latest lore some tiny factions within Adeptus Mechanicus have been surfacing that push for it over religious worship of decaying tech and knowledge, but even then for most part humanities fear of technology is more played up to its extreme within 40k.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Off topic: Almost akin to how founding fathers of America would react if they could see that Orange Reactionary Agent as the President today. Or, globally, how right wing extremism is slowly devouring and perverting what the democratic processes were meant to accomplish all because the peace times birthed decades upon decades corruption, apathy, financial mismanagement in governmental agencies and corporate entities in bed with them.

Sounds awfully like where we are slowly headed. Given how American/Israeli/KSA et al governments see their neighbours of less than equally civilized humans, we are entering a similar timeline. But yea, WH40K really takes it to its most far reaching conclusion.

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's little odd that Imperium doesn't really have that faction that is at extreme of technological invention, rediscovery and advancement. I know that in latest lore some tiny factions within Adeptus Mechanicus have been surfacing that push for it over religious worship of decaying tech and knowledge, but even then for most part humanities fear of technology is more played up to its extreme within 40k.

I think there are even some (no doubt excommmunicate traitoris) factions of the Inquisition who believe that progress is possible, but yeah, decay is very much the theme.

Off topic: Almost akin to how founding fathers of America would react if they could see that Orange Reactionary Agent as the President today. Or, globally, how right wing extremism is slowly devouring and perverting what the democratic processes were meant to accomplish all because the peace times birthed decades upon decades corruption, apathy, financial mismanagement in governmental agencies and corporate entities in bed with them.

Sounds awfully like where we are slowly headed. Given how American/Israeli/KSA et al governments see their neighbours of less than equally civilized humans, we are entering a similar timeline. But yea, WH40K really takes it to its most far reaching conclusion.

40k came out of the 80s, so its themes reflect the anxieties of the era - but dehumanisation of your enemies etc are pretty much universal in all places and times sadly!

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much everyone on Terra (earth). The Custodes General remarks in one of the books (Emperors legion) that there's ten thousand of them and they do more than just "patrol the walls".

There are also both Grey Knights and Custodes in that book together. The Custodes are slightly better but the Knights are pretty close with their psychic powers letting them edge out ahead every so often.

The important thing though is that Custodes don't see themselves as soldiers. They view themselves as philosophers, artists and so on who fight as a matter of duty, think like actual knights. Whereas Grey Knights are straight up soldiers through and through.

remember kids, this is not a custodes

Those are custodes

iu

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The fear of technology is well founded. In the Gaunts Ghosts trilogy for example, they find a factory that creates living machines/weapons, and when activated they discover that the machines have been corrupted and are essentially walking terminators with no ally. So whilst this was a high priority find, it had to be destroyed in the end

also I think that part features a Chaos warrior that just wrecks through everyone. It's been over a decade since I read it though so I might be misremembering.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The fear of technology is well founded. In the Gaunts Ghosts trilogy for example, they find a factory that creates living machines/weapons, and when activated they discover that the machines have been corrupted and are essentially walking terminators with no ally. So whilst this was a high priority find, it had to be destroyed in the end

Same time Imperium does allow use of technology that contains "strong machine spirit", either in constant or periodical control of said technology. For e.g. one of main battle tanks used by Astartes have such machine spirit and can take over everything for periods of time which exponentially increases battle effectiveness of vehicle. Titans are also another construct of such ancient technology, strong psikers trained to interface with them and try to tame machine spirit.

Not that it's particularly shocking that there is certain degree of hypocrisity within Imperium when it comes to... anything.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same time Imperium does allow use of technology that contains "strong machine spirit", either in constant or periodical control of said technology. For e.g. one of main battle tanks used by Astartes have such machine spirit and can take over everything for periods of time which exponentially increases battle effectiveness of vehicle. Titans are also another construct of such ancient technology, strong psikers trained to interface with them and try to tame machine spirit.

Not that it's particularly shocking that there is certain degree of hypocrisity within Imperium when it comes to... anything.

Yeah and in cases those machine spirits can become corrupted by chaos, but the difference is they've had this machine implanted into their Dreadnoughts/Titans from the start(unlike an abandoned war factory that has had time to corrupt) and usually are safeguarded against corruption in their war-coffin.

So a bit of hypocrisy, but it makes sense as their current weapons of war are different circumstances to ancient machinery.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It bears repeating that I'd love to see a really well made animated short film about a Terminator Squad going at it with waves of Gene Stealers on a Space Hulk. Make it grim, make it gory and make it non stop. Really I'd just love to see Terminator Armor wrecking anything.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think one of my favorite things about this latest vid is that it highlights how utterly dangerous things besides a Space Marine must be in this universe.

Like it looks awesome when the boys are shrugging off lasfire and projectiles but we all know what Genestealers claws would do to them and on and on.

shazla

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favored new terminologies Black Library ( warhammer fiction) is using to define Astartes is trans-human dread. Where normal soldiers are so shocked/terrified to see such a large humanoid shape moving and fighting so fast their brains short circuit and then sort of just gawp as the marines charge towards and through them.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we'd gotten a sequel to Space Marine. It wasn't the best game out there but the foundation was solid and a sequel could have been something special.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Why has Games Workshop not just hired this guy and given him the budget to build a team and make a full length movie or CG series.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Really want to see this dude animate and do the sound work for a Dreadnaught. This is the best depiction of 40k out there and it's not even official.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's really amazing how this just has everything. Amazing CG, cinematography and direction. Not to mention that it just perfectly captures the brutal tone of Warhammer40k

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Every fucking second of this four part series made me wonder why this shit isn't a full feature movie.

Instead we got this:
maxresdefault.jpg

It as ugly when it came out, its ugly now.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
So fucking good! Obviously the visuals are amazing, but man the sound design is so on point as well!

Oct 29, 2017
The speed and impact of everything sells the hulking power of that fight. That's some very good animation that avoids feeling floaty, while even some high profile CGI sometimes fails at it.

Last edited:

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In addition to the visual quality, the direction was fantastic. I was on the edge of my seat!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Why has Games Workshop not just hired this guy and given him the budget to build a team and make a full length movie or CG series.
IIRC, this guy already has a full time job as a professional VFX artist which is why these are A) so damn good and B) take so long to come out. That said, I feel like they should reach out to him anyway and try. A full length movie of this would be amazing. Even just a 60 minute one.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, this guy already has a full time job as a professional VFX artist which is why these are A) so damn good and B) take so long to come out. That said, I feel like they should reach out to him anyway and try. A full length movie of this would be amazing. Even just a 60 minute one.

He does contract work. The more he gets through patreon, the more he can focus on the 40k stuff. GW should just do whatever it takes to get him and a team on this full time because it's the best advertisement going for the universe.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
A movie or TV series based on the Horus hersey books, using this style and tone would be fantastic.

Looks like they are fighting non-imperium humans as well?

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Wow. Awesome as always.

It's a testament to the animator's skill that after two shorts worth of the Marines just curb-stomping everything they encountered, you still manage to feel invested and like the marines are on the ropes once they encounter those... those weirdoes? High class psykers? Sans? Whatever you want to call them and/or they are. Their designs are so intricate and, like, distinctive that I can't help but feel they're some kind of GW property, but I can't imagine which creatures they are.