• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Greigor the FellHand
Oct 26, 2017
By the by, in the second episode what are those metal orbs flying on each side of the shuttle?
I think they are servitor Missile Defense system.

I.e. Some poor human Got glued into a missle defense system, to be the computer for it.

What even penetrates space marine armor? I know the dudes are walking tanks, but damn.
Heavy Laz weapons, THe multi lazer started to damage the ceramite on the plate.
Anti armor, repeatedly works

But marine armor in lore is supposed to basically be resistant to ALL small arms fire, sustained anti armor fire will down em. or heavy ordnance. basically anti tank guns to take em out.

Oct 26, 2017
What even penetrates space marine armor? I know the dudes are walking tanks, but damn.
One of the things about the universe is that it can be pretty inconsistent depending on the author, although when it comes to games and stories with a deeper narrative they do tend to water down Space Marines because they are so ridiculously overpowered.
The thing to remember about them is that in the scale of the universe, they're incredibly rare. To the average imperial citizen, the Astartes are essentially mythological beings.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i guess i never thought of it but i supposed even space marine chapters need normal humans for more mundane tasks, huh? could have at least not cheaped out on the corridor sizing though. unless they're hitching a ride on an IG ship at the start?

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Always liked the scene in one of the early Heresy novels (possibly DAbnett's Horus Rising?) where - if I remember it correctly - the Luna Wolves just run through the crowds of people waiting to see what's happened to Horus. I think some authors have a tendency to romanticise and humanise the Space Marines, where I think they work best as barely-human (or human only in their devotion to martial discipline, brotherhood with other Astartes and warfare) but Abnett nailed the horror of them even when they're on your side in that sequence.
I think that's in False Gods. That's the book where Horus is wounded, at least.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
i guess i never thought of it but i supposed even space marine chapters need normal humans for more mundane tasks, huh? could have at least not cheaped out on the corridor sizing though. unless they're hitching a ride on an IG ship at the start?
Yep, chapters have all manner of assistance. I'll have to check a codex but I'm quite certain there are several thousand helpers for 1000 marines.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's in False Gods. That's the book where Horus is wounded, at least.

Could well be - it's been ages since I re-read the trilogy that kickstarted the whole Heresy series so I might be misremembering a bit. It's after he's wounded with the anathame and brought back aboard his ship, IIRC.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Man, if I had infinite money, one of the first things I would do is fun a 300 Million Warhammer 40k movie. And if that makes 2 Billion, because it is so awesome, I would fund a Horus Heresy Trilogy.
5e97f385cb82f6276aa256a53512c059.jpg

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Woo, that plasma shot was chilling. The way it penetrates the cloud of smoke. That vault behind the "bad" guy, any ideas? I was thinking gene-seed or something.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible effort on the people who made this. It captures the Space Marines in only a few short minutes. If they continue on after this inital series of shorts I'd love to see them do a Space Hulk scenario with the same kind of quality. Seeing Terminators duking it out against unending waves of Gene Stealers.

460b9642bd1f153474cc0ecbf39d1651.jpg

Gimme!

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Are they fighting Word Bearers? Or are there other bad dudes with lots of tattoos?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Are these dudes born or grown? They're like twice the size of the regular soldiers in the hallway.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Are these dudes born or grown? They're like twice the size of the regular soldiers in the hallway.

Kids just hitting puberty age are taken from the toughest groups of people on the worlds that are the most challenging to survive. They're then trained, indoctrinated and enhanced with the implanting of Gene Seed if deemed worthy. Gene Seed is what makes them fully into Space Marines and also is the foundation of all the other modifications made to their bodies. By they time they're done growing, training and ready to to go out into the field they're all 7 ft plus with some of the biggest be closer to 9 ft and are super humans that are able to do all kinds of feats of strength, endurance, stamina, and so on. Combined with their power armor they're one man armies compared to most forces except the most deadly aliens or demons.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Kids just hitting puberty age are taken from the toughest groups of people on the worlds that are the most challenging to survive. They're then trained, indoctrinated and enhanced with the implanting of Gene Seed if deemed worthy. Gene Seed is what makes them fully into Space Marines and also is the foundation of all the other modifications made to their bodies. By they time they're done growing, training and ready to to go out into the field they're all 7 ft plus with some of the biggest be closer to 9 ft and are super humans that are able to do all kinds of feats of strength, endurance, stamina, and so on. Combined with their power armor they're one man armies compared to most forces except the most deadly aliens or demons.

Cool. The Space Marine game didn't reference this at all. I just thought they were regular guys in armor.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

Space Marines/Adeptus Astartes are born human, but at a young age they're taken to have various therapies and organ implantations to grow them into marines. That includes stuff like new organs for specific combat functions, enhancing existing systems, and implanting a weird subdermal membrane for interfacing with their armour. I don't know that it's played up much in the fluff now, but it used to be that they were also able to access memories from their enemies through eating them.

They're basically engineered gods of war.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Shouldn't that lascanon in part though have ripped right though his armor? I mean it tears though tanks with ease.

I do love how cold and calculating they are. Astares should be depicted as inhuman monsters, the emperor's angels of death. They should be reversed and feared by normal men.

There was a part in a world of bloody evolution, a RWBY fanfic that nailed that. When the council of generals for an upcoming fight learned a company of Iron Hands were enroute they all but crapped themselves. None wanted to be a part of a battle that called for Asatres assistance.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Space Marines/Adeptus Astartes are born human, but at a young age they're taken to have various therapies and organ implantations to grow them into marines. That includes stuff like new organs for specific combat functions, enhancing existing systems, and implanting a weird subdermal membrane for interfacing with their armour. I don't know that it's played up much in the fluff now, but it used to be that they were also able to access memories from their enemies through eating them.

They're basically engineered gods of war.
The last ADB Black Legion book had the main characters eat some old legionaire's brains to see how they died 😁

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't that lascanon in part though have ripped right though his armor? I mean it tears though tanks with ease.

I think that was a multilaser given the amount of dakka it put out.
When the council of generals for an upcoming fight learned a company of Iron Hands were enroute they all but crapped themselves. None wanted to be a part of a battle that called for Asatres assistance.
Or because they were Iron Hands. They do not give a single fuck about weak people, which includes pretty much every baseline human. In one of the books they just tell the resident IG commander that the plans have changed and they'll leave bunker clearing to them. The commander goes "but we'll take extreme losses!" and the IH just goes "...and? we found something more important to do, so you'll clear the bunkers or die trying"

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I think that was a multilaser given the amount of dakka it put out.

Or because they were Iron Hands. They do not give a single fuck about weak people, which includes pretty much every baseline human. In one of the books they just tell the resident IG commander that the plans have changed and they'll leave bunker clearing to them. The commander goes "but we'll take extreme losses!" and the IH just goes "...and? we found something more important to do, so you'll clear the bunkers or die trying"

They were already going after a stc and a chaos champion. The forgeworkd has already committed a fleet and tens of thousands of skitarii.

They figured that force was a sign the mechanicus didn't expect heavier resistance.

They were wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
GW of late has decided to SUPPORT these people actually.

GW is backing HELSREACH into a antimated series
That's a 180 on their previous approach then. I guess the backlash against them for their draconian approach didn't look too good.

Space Marines are freaking genetic freaks.
How are the genes implemented through different ages, what the genes do to them, what they can withstand.

W40k is absolutely mental.

This was amazing.
The lore around them is great too. To think they're a shadow of their Primarch progenitors who were themselves walking demi-gods (who in turn were a shadow of their Emperor "father").

I hear the Primaris versions of space marines are more of a pure stock and closer to those Primarchs.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
GW should help this guy in any way possible, including straight up paying him.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's a 180 on their previous approach then. I guess the backlash against them for their draconian approach didn't look too good.

The lore around them is great too. To think they're a shadow of their Primarch progenitors who were themselves walking demi-gods (who in turn were a shadow of their Emperor "father").

I hear the Primaris versions of space marines are more of a pure stock and closer to those Primarchs.

If you haven't been in the community in the last few years, GW has had a major turn around, and a lot of long time players are pretty happy with them.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
upon a closer look, the laser gun does cause some damage to the armor. Awesome animation, always been a fan the 40k universe.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, these are amazing. That final scene with the smoke grenade and plasma shot was so insane.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played 40k or been around the lore in about 15-17 years, so this is bringing up some cool memories.

I also had no idea that Space Marines themselves were relatively rare compared to the general troops in the imperial army. Makes sense.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played 40k or been around the lore in about 15-17 years, so this is bringing up some cool memories.

I also had no idea that Space Marines themselves were relatively rare compared to the general troops in the imperial army. Makes sense.

Most normal humans would never see them in a lifetime. They would appear to be otherworldly if they managed to see Astartes. There's also that whole "if the Space Marines are here your planet is probably in serious trouble and/or about to be exterminatus" thing as well.

The coolest thing about the video is that the renegades or whatever faction they are fighting are actually doing things right but stand no chance.

Oct 26, 2017

It happened after the heresy to prevent them from ever again posing such a huge threat to the Imperium (if they revolted).

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most normal humans would never see them in a lifetime. They would appear to be otherworldly if they managed to see Astartes. There's also that whole "if the Space Marines are here your planet is probably in serious trouble and/or about to be exterminatus" thing as well.

The coolest thing about the video is that the renegades or whatever faction they are fighting are actually doing things right but stand no chance.

Makes sense, if you're seeing them you either majorly fucked up or are about to be fucked up.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The marine at the end tossing the smoke grenade while getting shot even as he swivels into cover all in one motion is just...

T4vcfL1.gif

Oct 27, 2017

You also have to keep in mind they're just 1 million in an empire with thousands of planets and trillions of citizens. Generations of imperial workers don't even see sunlight in their lifetime, let alone an Astartes.
Also recruiting and training them is a long and difficult process, since the geneseed required for transforming them can only be harvested from already matured Space Marines. And 1 Marine usually provides only enough geneseed for 2 new Marines. So losing a Marine in battle and having to leave his corpse behind is a pretty hard blow for a chapter since they can't be replaced that easily.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Greigor the FellHand
Oct 26, 2017
Oh and...

Space Marines just got a major upgrade.

Primaris space Marines. Stronger, faster, oh and they have an organ that can do instant major regeneration, but takes years to recharge.

I.e. getting a hole blown in your chest then this organ activates, healing the wound in a moment