• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
A movie or TV series based on the Horus hersey books, using this style and tone would be fantastic.

Looks like they are fighting non-imperium humans as well?

The first episode states they are hunting down the leaders of a failed rebellion.

Wow. Awesome as always.

It's a testament to the animator's skill that after two shorts worth of the Marines just curb-stomping everything they encountered, you still manage to feel invested and like the marines are on the ropes once they encounter those... those weirdoes? High class psykers? Sans? Whatever you want to call them and/or they are. Their designs are so intricate and, like, distinctive that I can't help but feel they're some kind of GW property, but I can't imagine which creatures they are.

They aren't 1:1 copies of anything but there's so much goddamn 40k art out there it's not hard to piece together something that fits with the universe.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to the visual quality, the direction was fantastic. I was on the edge of my seat!
IIRC, this guy already has a full time job as a professional VFX artist which is why these are A) so damn good and B) take so long to come out. That said, I feel like they should reach out to him anyway and try. A full length movie of this would be amazing. Even just a 60 minute one.
To be fair GW did hire Richard Boylan who did the amazing Hellsreach retelling to create a new series of some sort. That was about 6 months ago, nothing has been shown yet.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair GW did hire Richard Boylan who did the amazing Hellsreach retelling to create a new series of some sort. That was about 6 months ago, nothing has been shown yet.
Yep and Hellsreach is surprisingly cool too. Especially as it slowly ditches the sketchy style. It's too bad we never got more of that Lord Inquisitor movie either:

Pragmatist

May 30, 2019
That was just too badass. I love how visceral the melee combat is and the animation does a fantastic job of emphasizing the speed and velocity that a regular marine can achieve. I feel that aspect of marine capability has been rarely, if ever, depicted well. After all, how can something that has been described by the lore as moving so fast that humans can barely perceive the motion, really be depicted effectively? Yet, this animation I feel has come the closest so far, so kudos to the creator for these fantastic works.

I also love that these marines were this badass and only equipped with basic bolters and combat knives, the most basic of marine armaments.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I love how after almost getting his helmet caved in that Space Marine immediately snapped that psykers neck. And to think Custodes can carve through space marines like they can through regular humans.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this is like watching a blizzard cinematic

Who are the space marines fighting? I don't know the lore

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

That's what we're trying to figure out. The intro cinematic tells us these fellas are pursuing the leaders of a rebellion against the Imperium. Presumably the mooks they hewed through are traitor Guardsmen.

As for the golden dudes they just carved up, we've got no idea. They appear to be psykers of some description, given that they can project crushing waves of force and can generate some kind of kinetic bubble around themselves, but past that we have no idea. They're much taller than regular humans, but if they're using any sort of kit it's hard to tell. I feel like that thingy that hooks into their skulls is some kind of psychic projector which exists in-lore, but if there's some kind of special explanation for the golden face mask I've never heard of it.

Pragmatist

May 30, 2019

I don't recognise the space marine chapter's markings. I suspect it's the creator's own chapter made specifically for these animations. As such, I doubt the depicted marines are any specific named characters from the lore. If this is the case, it makes these even more badass as these are likely the actions of run-of-the-mill tactical marines.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Not gonna lie. Watching this made me go to Amazon and look up how much the minis are going for now a days

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
I love how he represents just how fast and brutal astartes are. They're literally 8-11' tall super humans wearing armor that rivals a tank.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Eh the prices are definitely more than when I was last playing but not as bad as I expected.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I love how after almost getting his helmet caved in that Space Marine immediately snapped that psykers neck. And to think Custodes can carve through space marines like they can through regular humans.

They're pretty incredible:

"The Adeptus Custodes are so revered that it is deemed heresy for the Administratum to record them ever losing a battle. Thus it is officially recorded that any warzone the Custodes are deployed to is an Imperial victory, even before they arrive."

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's what we're trying to figure out. The intro cinematic tells us these fellas are pursuing the leaders of a rebellion against the Imperium. Presumably the mooks they hewed through are traitor Guardsmen.

As for the golden dudes they just carved up, we've got no idea. They appear to be psykers of some description, given that they can project crushing waves of force and can generate some kind of kinetic bubble around themselves, but past that we have no idea. They're much taller than regular humans, but if they're using any sort of kit it's hard to tell. I feel like that thingy that hooks into their skulls is some kind of psychic projector which exists in-lore, but if there's some kind of special explanation for the golden face mask I've never heard of it.

I thought it was traitor guardsmen being led by psyker word bearers. but i guess that isnt confirmed.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
This guy needs to be hired (and properly supported) by GW to make a full thing, either a movie or a miniseries.

The previous episodes were really great, but the fourth is just nuts.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is insane.

The plasma gun reminded me of Marathon 2.

M2.02.2.1.1.gif

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My god that was the fastest two minutes, the tension and direction are so damn good.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When I watched episode 4 a second time. My brain decided to go "hey those models are way more than 2 inches apart from each other" when the Space Marine started the charge.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
They're pretty incredible:

"The Adeptus Custodes are so revered that it is deemed heresy for the Administratum to record them ever losing a battle. Thus it is officially recorded that any warzone the Custodes are deployed to is an Imperial victory, even before they arrive."
I loved Watchers on The Throne because it showed how different they are from your average space marine. Many view themselves as scholars rather than demigod guardians.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
This is a better depiction of space marines than any other I've seen to date. And maybe the first time I've actually seen what they're capable of in terms of speed and close combat brutality.

This is brilliant.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Some Dawn of War cutscenes are pretty good too.
True, but they tend to be a bit over the top (which is absolutely fine considering the universe) whereas the Astartes series is so low-key and, I don't know, precise? I don't think I've ever seen marines move like that.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
True, but they tend to be a bit over the top (which is absolutely fine considering the universe) whereas the Astartes series is so low-key and, I don't know, precise? I don't think I've ever seen marines move like that.

I agree. Its just able to give you the visual sense of what the Astartes can do. They are not mindless killing machines. They are cold calculating tacticians of war that are beyond super human. GW needs more of this.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Every episode that comes out the creator picks up a few hundred more people on patreon, I hope GW eventually notices.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Besides the nice optics this guy has a really good sense of framing / cinematography.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
How to truly make the Adeptus Astartes look terrifying as they should be from a human point of view.
So the Emperor really was Donald Trump
Comparison between The Emperor and that daemon of Nurgle is heresy. Lots and lots of fuckin' heresy.

It's goddamn disturbing how often that pestilence comes up if you search for God Emperor of Mankind.
tenor.gif

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
It's a small detail, but I love how at 1:25 you can see that the helmet lenses aren't simply pieces of transparent material, and are actually a series of cameras and other sensors.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I agree. Its just able to give you the visual sense of what the Astartes can do. They are not mindless killing machines. They are cold calculating tacticians of war that are beyond super human. GW needs more of this.

I really do appreciate that about this series. Sometimes GW stuff can go over the top with what I like to call the "put a cathedral on top of your tank" aesthetic, which is as described. Lots of screaming, lots of hyper-baroque-gothic adornments on literally everything, people, spaceships, and architecture alike, and just kinda focused on some weird sense of epic scope rather than maintaining proportionality or comprehensibility. Also, most people get the details wrong. Like how bolters are gyrogets with HE heads, so they zoom and then bang when they hit the target.

By comparison, Astartes is much more muted. The gothic elements still exist in the adornments of the Space Marines, and the brief shot in the first episode showed the censer over the bolter to demonstrate the religious rites in a low-key way. I really find that portrayal appealing, and that light touch extends to the combat. Their religious zealotry comes out in their unerring execution and their determination, and that's valuable.

I actually hypothesize that Astartes, from a design standpoint, pays careful attention to the works that GW was inspired by when they first came out with 40k way back when, or perhaps very early editions like the old Rogue Trader rulebook. The space visuals from the second episode, as well as the craft design, hews closer to the cover of a sci-fi book from the 80's and 90's than some of the wilder, more ornate stuff you tend to see from the setting these days. These marines are relatively unadorned and don't do stuff like those mystical prayer seals dripped on with wax. I think this muted tone actually really works in favor of the material.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I can't believe that amazing fight scene fits in a two minutes video. The art, animation, and direction are out of this world.