• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for starting this thread again after one year. I finished the game yesterday and I wanted to share my opinion of the game.

Overall I think the game is pretty good. The combat has its Platinum identity, controlling the legions and the player at the same time is a very interesting mechanic and something tells me this could have been used as a baseline for Cereza and the Lost Demon. Even the art style is pretty cool. I played as the male protagonist. And now I also get the references in Bayonetta 3 to this game, like Lappy in the first trailer that I didn't know what the hell that was.

However there are some weird gimmicks like in other games made by Platinum, some of them are pretty frustrating, and it's quite easy to fall into bottomless pits by accident specially at the astral side. And some of the missions are pretty long. Looks like they have used Wonderful 101 as a gameplay reference and not considered its flaws when they could have used Bayonetta 2 and all the QoL improvements this game had compared to the first one.

Also about the story, the characters are pretty generic and typical story of good cops with corruption in higher hierarchies. But the story is a total mess. It is not clear which were Jena's plans nor why she was supposed to be the bad girl. Same with the Hermits, whose chapter is more like a filler chapter that in the end doesn't bring anything important to the story, and the twins were born then and OK, it is not clear why this is relevant at all. I suppose they love Evangelion in Platinum and they wanted to show their love to the saga with the story itself, Evangelion is also a mess on story side so I guess making the Astral Chain story total nonsense is a good way to reference Evangelion.

So yes, I liked the gameplay but I hated the story. The game has replay-ability options like all Platinum games so that you can get a proficiency on combats, but right now I don't want to play this game any more, I had enough by just completing the story mode.