• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bought the game the other day and...wtf how good it looks !?? Like, everything is so detailed, well made down to the UI that is awesome. Playing this in portable mode is a dream.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I have a question for anyone who has done Chapter 4.

While I was in the subway on the IRIS I saw something that looked like a cat huddled somewhere on the lower level. But I couldn't seem to find a way to get to it and eventually I got locked out of some parts of the subway due to progressing further.

Was I hallucinating or is this something I actually missed?

In every file you can find a cat. ;)
You just have to figure out how to get there.

And yea, Hit Rush is a nice skill. It's very similar to a system in The Wonderful 101.

Last edited:

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wow @ this game.

i mean, i knew i was gonna like it when i first laid my eyes upon it but still, wow.

loving, the aesthetic , loving the gameplay and ABSOLUTELY LOVING THAT OST HOLY FUCKING SHIT. that hq theme is fire lol

CybuEaUVIAAF_HV.jpg

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
Just finished file 11 and overall really liked the game. Once the combat opens up the game turns into a must play. Is there more to File 12? Cause not sure how I feel about that epilogue.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I am about half way through File 06.

Definitely one of the better ones in terms of story development.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I've reached the final boss. What a ride so far, fantastic game.

One question before I head into this:

Does File 12 have more story content or is it just combat challenges?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think I've reached the final boss. What a ride so far, fantastic game.

One question before I head into this:

Does File 12 have more story content or is it just combat challenges?

There's a bit of story of what happens after the events of the game, and where each character is at if you talk to them but you see all that at the start then it's just combat.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Cant you register ordinary chimeras or is it just Bosses?

would be neat to see how much HP regular ones have..

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Finished File 11. Very good game, brilliant at times, obstuse at others. Not Platinum's best but still a good direction for action games. Hoping for a sequel with an actual engaging story and better pacing.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm honestly not having as great a time with this as I thought I would. I really got into NieR Automata and I did like Bayo 1 and 2 (and MGR) but I'm just not getting into this in the same way at all.

Should I just go down to casual and finish the game like that? I think part of my worry is the fact that I'm being graded and I'm just not the type who can rapidly switch combos and weapons like you have to here.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
and I'm just not the type who can rapidly switch combos and weapons like you have to here.
Don't worry, you can calmly switch combos and weapons in this game to get a good ranking. The process to getting a good ranking is more like the process of making your grocery list. While your SO constantly hits you in the face.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Yo File 12 is legit man.

I manage to finish the entire game on PT standard without gameover, somehow killed the final boss on my first try too.
But File 12 is the real challenge, and you REALLY get to fully utilize the awesome combat system.
It gets hectic as hell, something you don't experience in the main story.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit... this game makes a good first impression!
Best looking Switch game no doubt.
1 hour in and i already love it. WOW.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Would Casual be too easy for someone who hasn't had a Game Over so far (just finished File 04)? I kind of want to just enjoy the bombast of combat without worrying too much about challenge but I don't want it to be a complete walk in the park.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Would Casual be too easy for someone who hasn't had a Game Over so far (just finished File 04)? I kind of want to just enjoy the bombast of combat without worrying too much about challenge but I don't want it to be a complete walk in the park.
PT Standard is easy enough tbh. I never "stuck" in any bosses/encounters compared to other character action game.
Once you understand the combat, you won't be having any trouble. It will take some time, but by the time you're facing a real challenge, you will be ready.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
finished chapter 12, there were a few good missions in there but somehow i just don´t feel this game like other character action games.

played to chapter 5 on Ultimate and called it a day, this game has no replayability because the skill ceiling is too low and the missions have too much bloat to them.

you are getting handed S+ everywhere just for switching through the legions and at some point you just can´t improve anymore because the combat is too automated for its own good and you are already getting the highest grades in combat.

essentially all you do is l2 to send legions/parry attacks, switch legion, spam melee attacks and dodge in between and you are wrecking shop. not really interesting in the long run.

this is by far the Platinum game with the lowest replayability imo and the combat system just gets really boring over time.

after all i can´t help but feel that this game is severely overrated. i would have given it 7,5/10. it was fine but i had more fun with other Platinum games. i really hope this questbloat isn´t in Bayonetta 3.

Plum

May 31, 2018
PT Standard is easy enough tbh. I never "stuck" in any bosses/encounters compared to other character action game.
Once you understand the combat, you won't be having any trouble. It will take some time, but by the time you're facing a real challenge, you will be ready.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with PT Standard. I was having doubts because of that awful Arm Legion fight and all the tentacle spam in File 4, but against regular enemies I'm OK. I think my issue is that I find it really difficult to know when to switch between Legions. I'm only at 3 and I already find myself strugging to decide which to use and when. Any tips on that front?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I think I'll stick with PT Standard. I was having doubts because of that awful Arm Legion fight and all the tentacle spam in File 4, but against regular enemies I'm OK. I think my issue is that I find it really difficult to know when to switch between Legions. I'm only at 3 and I already find myself strugging to decide which to use and when. Any tips on that front?

For me... I went from where you are to that it suddenly clicked - I'll probably never going to be able to use everything since I'm not really that great at action games, so many abilities both on character and legions. But at one point most things made sense and I cant explain why. It just happened.. From chapter 5 and now after beating 6 I've gotten much better grades and I've died just 1-2 times and that due to my own mistakes.

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
Done the first couple of files, rank D's everywhere. Finding it really difficult, the first boss took me a few goes to beat, and general fighting comprises of send out Legion for a bit, do a bit of attacking yourself (with the odd perfect dodge if your lucky) and repeat.

Maybe something will click soon but it all seems messy and overly flashy.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Yep. As what others said. Seriously, even up until maybe file 5 or 6 I still had zero idea what I was doing with the combat system.
And then suddenly it clicked.
I would say, focus more on unlocking legion attacks and your baton. Once most of the important command skills are unlocked, all of the legion uses similar command for different skills.

Sword for attack
Bow for airborne enemy or when I unchain my sword legion
Arm for all purpose really, crowd control is decent too
Doggo for dodging attacks (ride it and it will auto dodge most attacks) and howls to stun enemies
Axe for heavy damage

Doctor Mosh

Oct 29, 2017
is it just me, or do you guys too have to think about danganropa while listening to the astral plane battle music?

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I don't like about this game is the fact that I am constantly fighting against the game's camera. It is exceedingly difficult in combat to properly focus on the action when half of the time I can't see wtf I'm doing.

Apr 21, 2018
The only thing I don't like about this game is the fact that I am constantly fighting against the game's camera. It is exceedingly difficult in combat to properly focus on the action when half of the time I can't see wtf I'm doing.

Have you tried any of the alternate camera options in the menu?
I've gotten pretty good at controlling the camera in the midst of intense action, but sometimes it get a little crazy, and when played undocked, can be a real cramp. I'm curious what the other camera options offer.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're starting the game and let down because you always get bad rankings, don't care and just come back later with a fuller skill set, you get a lot of upgrades later on, and when I say a lot I mean it.

You're way more dependent on future upgrades to have a good ranks in this than Bayo. You're pretty much meant to re-do the older files later on.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I did a ton of side missions first time through, that's why I clocked out story at about 31 hrs without any level redos

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Being fully at grips with the combat in this game is great, just fucking DESTROYED the
axe nemesis
with an S+.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think people overthink the pacing too much. Nothing's stopping you from taking a break from the game. Are you in that much of a rush to get back to Neuron HQ?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the secret to getting S/S+ ranks for battle encounters? I'm not sure what the deal is, there's times where I feel like i was a complete badass and get a D/C rank and others where I barely scraped by and get an A/S/S+.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
What's the secret to getting S/S+ ranks for battle encounters? I'm not sure what the deal is, there's times where I feel like i was a complete badass and get a D/C rank and others where I barely scraped by and get an A/S/S+.
Use as many different skills, sync attack, or whatever cool stuff you can do non stop. Don't just baton attack all the way.
It's a guarantee S+

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

It's based more on what you do in a battle rather than how well you do. So you get bonuses for using all your legions, using all your weapons, using Legion skills, Sync Attacks, Chain Actions, Perfect Calls, and so forth.

You're more likely to do all that more in a longer, harder battle than a short one, which is why you sometimes get really good rankings for battles you don't feel like you did that well in.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Use as many different skills, sync attack, or whatever cool stuff you can do non stop. Don't just baton attack all the way.
It's a guarantee S+
It's based more on what you do in a battle rather than how well you do. So you get bonuses for using all your legions, using all your weapons, using Legion skills, Sync Attacks, Chain Actions, Perfect Calls, and so forth.

You're more likely to do all that more in a longer, harder battle than a short one, which is why you sometimes get really good rankings for battles you don't feel like you did that well in.

Gotcha, okay. Will try to vary it up more I suppose. Thanks!

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah I think people overthink the pacing too much. Nothing's stopping you from taking a break from the game. Are you in that much of a rush to get back to Neuron HQ?

Yea 100% agree, then again I love literally everything about this game. It's perfect to me.

Also I notice people rush through games to get to the next, since I stopped doing that games are more enjoyable. I take everything in.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One thing I absolutely despise about this game is that sometimes you walk a step too far in a direction and that triggers a fight or event which prevents you from going back to previous parts of the level.It´s specially bad when the only thing stopping you is an arbitrary VR do not cross line in the place you just went through. That is very bad design, specially in a game where there is a lot of hidden stuff (chests, arrow items, buried items, hidden portals...). Just took the wrong turn in an intersection and I was pushed from fight to cutscene to fight until the end of the level with no chance of getting back to where I knew a hidden fight was :( Oh and of course the game autosaved instantly the moment I triggered the cutscene.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
One thing I absolutely despise about this game is that sometimes you walk a step too far in a direction and that triggers a fight or event which prevents you from going back to previous parts of the level.It´s specially bad when the only thing stopping you is an arbitrary VR do not cross line in the place you just went through. That is very bad design, specially in a game where there is a lot of hidden stuff (chests, arrow items, buried items, hidden portals...). Just took the wrong turn in an intersection and I was pushed from fight to cutscene to fight until the end of the level with no chance of getting back to where I knew a hidden fight was :( Oh and of course the game autosaved instantly the moment I triggered the cutscene.
I can relate to this. And I agree this is bad design. Bayonetta has the same flaw. You have to practically be careful and have to search everything twice or three times to not miss anything. I find that pretty annoying as well.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Think my game broke.

In file 9 doing "missing friend" red case near the start. Gone into the astral plain into what looks like an arena, but no enemies are spawning and there's nothing here? Quit and reloaded and still nothing.