• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I haven't bothered rescuing cats yet - exactly how do I use the Cat Food?

I assume I'd just register it to my Item wheel but that doesn't seem possible.

EDIT: nevermind, I'm supposed to distract it
Cat food you use to feed cats at the cats safehouse. Get there by using fast travel menu in hq. Stand by the bowl and it'll show a prompt.

And file 8 was great.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yowza. File 09 was amaaaaaaaaazing.

Although I'm a little bummed that now that I've actually gotten the civilian clothing unlocked, I can't seem to edit the colors, change into shorts or alter the top the same way the standard gear has various configurations.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
How friendly is this game to newcommers in the genre? I've never played this type of combo action game before.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
How friendly is this game to newcommers in the genre? I've never played this type of combo action game before.
IIf you play Casual mode, you won't find any particular difficilty. You can also try harder modes whenever you want if you feel it is too easy for you, since you can easily change the difficulty level

Apr 21, 2018
I just finished Chapter 7 and wow, just really loving this game, the environment, and the action has really clicked. I can now unleash multiple legions at a time and I'm getting S+ all the time. It's really clicked.

This is going to end up high on my game of the year list.

Also, to those complaining about the side-quests and activities, I have really liked them! They are never too long or obtrusive, and build the world out in a fun way. It reminds me of what No More Heroes was trying to do with side activities, except far better done and far more streamlined.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about halfway through Harmony Square (File 04 I believe), and I gotta say my feelings are a little mixed on this game. I still feel much more positive than negative about it, but I'm a real big Platinum Games fan and some of the decisions in this game are throwing me for a loop. The negatives are stuff like..

-The combat seems to range from "this is the coolest and most satisfying fucking thing ever" to messy and incoherent as fuck. When it's on it's fucking on. But sometimes depending on the camera and the types of enemies you're fighting, along with the sheer amount of commands that you're given and the environment, I feel like I'm just almost just closing my eyes and hoping for the best.

-On the camera subject, I've brought it up before but I just really dislike the lock-on in this game, and I still can't seem to come to grips with it. Something about it is just bad. There's not enough visual or audio feedback or something. And in certain level layouts, it can cause the camera to get stuck on shit and just be horrible in general. It's like I can't really tell if the lock-on systems are going to make my fights more manageable or less. Can be super frustrating.

-Some of the level designs seem pretty counter intuitive, especially when it comes to using legion jumping. Like yeah I get that the red crystals popping out in the Chimera world adds to it's look, but why the fuck are they going to put them all around edges you need to jump from? My character is constantly getting caught on them and falling into pits. For a game that's supposed to move quick and feel satisfying in these segments, it's a really odd decision that only frustrates imo. Even if it wasn't supposed to be moving quick, it just seems dumb.

-Not really a fan of the item/ability mode systems. So many abilities just seem like clutter, and deleting them doesn't provide any benefit. I've never been a fan of item systems like these in games like these, as I'd rather my fights be decided (and designed around) raw skill rather than what items I may need to bring with me that could help/alter the battle. I'm not inherently 100% against it, but I wish they would have just limited to them to like healing and grenades. I don't want a whole item wheel like this with that many weird situational options.

There's still a ton about the game I adore, and there's still more about it I have to get used to. But this stuff is a bummer. I feel like this game is kind of regularly ranging between my true GOTY and some weird unpolished experimental title.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Finished it.

Remember that whole interview with a mistranslated bit about them wanting to make a trilogy if this game was successful.

I want this to be a trilogy now. I want that next game.

Going by the bits and pieces I can gather from the files, if this game was Evangelion, then the next game is gonna go Gurren Laggan

Yeah the dudes behind Chimeras are basically Anti-Spirals.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
After the glitch that stopped me in case 1 I am plowing through. Love the cat sanctuary and the song that plays while you're there. Makes me want to cry.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Finished it.

Remember that whole interview with a mistranslated bit about them wanting to make a trilogy if this game was successful.

I want this to be a trilogy now. I want that next game.

Going by the bits and pieces I can gather from the files, if this game was Evangelion, then the next game is gonna go Gurren Laggan

Yeah the dudes behind Chimeras are basically Anti-Spirals.

Time to take back the main continents!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

This is my first platinum game and I'm not having any problems with difficulty, at least not yet. I will say that the learning curve is a bit high in terms of mastering what you are doing in terms of controlling both your legions and yourself. I'm playing on PT standard though, which is the highest difficultly you can start with (you have to unlock hard) and it feels like a normal mode, and the game constantly gives you the option to switch to easier difficulty.

For the most part there aren't a lot of combos to learn like you would think of in a fighting game, its just you are managing your legion and yourself and sometimes you can sync attacks and join with your legion. There are a lot of options available to you, but its pretty manageable. It unlocks slowly and you can visit a training room and practice.

CAAAAAAAAAAAW

Oct 25, 2017
Finished basically everything, I guess.
EESOlAMUwAAwBFX

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

No, it was a mistranslated.
The dev had to explain (in japanese) on Twitter the mistake that the source made because everyone was mad that they would not get a complete story in the current game.
It made a big drama here too.

Oh I see, well I am not mad, the ending was pretty great, I am glad this game is also succesful, this new IP is off to a great start.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Q: Any tips to manage the ice cream challenge in File 6?... Is my imagination or it is literally impossible to get the stair climbing without dropping a single ice cream ball?... xD

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
started today and just finished file 02, im completely overwhelmed.... during combat there is just so much stuff popping off all at once its a complete sensory overload and i honestly cant tell whats happening, i hope i adjust!

took me like 5 attempts to beat the end of file 2 on PT standard as well... im awful at this

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Q: Any tips to manage the ice cream challenge in File 6?... Is my imagination or it is literally impossible to get the stair climbing without dropping a single ice cream ball?... xD

It's not like there's any reward for getting there with more than one scoop so don't torture yourself.

What happens if I am out of battery, checkpoint or chapter restart?

You just start from the beginning of the battle.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
started today and just finished file 02, im completely overwhelmed.... during combat there is just so much stuff popping off all at once its a complete sensory overload and i honestly cant tell whats happening, i hope i adjust!

took me like 5 attempts to beat the end of file 2 on PT standard as well... im awful at this
It will hopefully start to click for you by the end of file 3. Definitely takes time though.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
What's this about the trilogy bit being a mistranslation? Because I really hope this game gets a sequel. I haven't even finished it yet, but I love the setting and combat.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Im on file 5 and just battled that fire boss. Battle was so so good and with so many effects! (Camera was not that good, but it didn't give much trouble)

Now one thing im missing is the classic Platinum's finishers. Bosses just vanishes without a cool scene or QTE , and that was a classic Platinum trademark that add a lot to the fight.

I really like the game.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the story. A lot of questions, but also a lot of hype, and ain't that the PlatinumGames way? The combat system, the music, the exploration/investigation system, the characters (wish I got to see more of Kyle)... I quite liked it all. I think The Wonderful 101 is still my fave, but this is a close second. Hope to see a sequel one day!

My favourite part of the end may have been that moment of the Axe Legion helping you back up, and the hint that Max may be part of it now.

I am also enjoying the hell out of getting to use the Lappy costume regularly. Now to focus on getting the Raven suit...

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Shizu doesn't do shit the whole game. She casually drops her 1337 hacker handle one time, and it amounts to nothing. In Ghost in the Shell terms, she's a total Saito.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Post-game stuff:

I just did the first two R3 cases.

...Hooooly shit, I don't think I'm ready for this.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Credits finally rolled, after 18 hours. I've already put my impressions here, but the game ended up as a solid 6 for me. Enjoyable in parts, but heavily flawed as well. Still enough good there to warrant a play through, but these 9/10 scores are insane imo. I have zero desire to head back for file 12