• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017

I fell out of the world when it didn't load properly. I don't want to advertise my own twitter feed too much but there's a bunch of other tweets there showing off the weird proclivities of this (like, for example, riding/wearing the two Legions you can allows you protection from the void boundary and that leads to some weird shit)

I had the exact same thing happen in the same spot but
it was right at the start of file 10 when you reach that location for the first time, so my first thought was that Hal's secret base was actually floating in the sky, which is why he had been so cagey about saying where you were. Took me a sec to realize it definitely wasn't intended lol.
Pretty odd bug.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
File 08 complete.

So this was supposed to be the "bad" one right? That really wasn't as bad as some posts in this thread would have me to believe. It was pace breaker for sure but it was nice to have a "reprieve" chapter for a bit. Some fun little puzzles and side missions that really immersed myself in the role.

If that was the worst of it, I'm assuming it's only smooth sailing from here into the finale.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
File 08 complete.

So this was supposed to be the "bad" one right? That really wasn't as bad as some posts in this thread would have me to believe. It was pace breaker for sure but it was nice to have a "reprieve" chapter for a bit. Some fun little puzzles and side missions that really immersed myself in the role.

If that was the worst of it, I'm assuming it's only smooth sailing from here into the finale.
I dunno. I really liked file 08 with the mini games. Reminded me a bit of the mini games in the zelda series.

Btw. Is there a way to lock on an enemy and rotate the camera without changing the target?

Last edited:

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
In fairness, I think that was to introduce you to and make you appreciate the floating mechanic of a new Legion, and create scenarios to show you how that is useful. The Legion is meant to help you overcome that.
I mean, I get that 100%. There were several non-combat stretches where I was clearly supposed to wear the armor and float along over the goop. Even then, though, I simply sent out my sword legion and yanked myself along because that was much faster. And I certainly didn't want to spend entire encounters (like the one actually acquiring that Legion, for example) tiptoeing around those goopy spots.

It's not a huge deal. Judging from the responses here I'm assuming that I won't be forced into encounters like that one going forward. Hopefully I also see a decrease in those annoying immunity-granting chimeras you have to cut through.

If I replay a chapter within a file... do I have to finish the whole file in order to continue to my latest played file/point in the game?
Does it affect progress, upgrades, ranks, rewards?

Also, any tips for camera configuration? I'm having trouble with the camera during battles.

I'd like to know this as well. I'd like to go back and play certain parts of certain files, but not if I'm going to be forced to finish the entire file each time.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Im having trouble with the final boss :^(
some tips? I got close with the beast legion but thing is a monster

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I get that 100%. There were several non-combat stretches where I was clearly supposed to wear the armor and float along over the goop. Even then, though, I simply sent out my sword legion and yanked myself along because that was much faster. And I certainly didn't want to spend entire encounters (like the one actually acquiring that Legion, for example) tiptoeing around those goopy spots.

It's not a huge deal. Judging from the responses here I'm assuming that I won't be forced into encounters like that one going forward. Hopefully I also see a decrease in those annoying immunity-granting chimeras you have to cut through.

I'd like to know this as well. I'd like to go back and play certain parts of certain files, but not if I'm going to be forced to finish the entire file each time.

Yeah, that legion is a bit slow moving around, but I think maybe if he were faster he'd be overpowered.

I'm with you on the chimeras that you have to cut through. It's just not intuitive and easy to do consistently, its just really hard to flank and pull it off at the right angle without being hit by the legion on the leash while you are doing it.

I'm not a huge fan of this mechanism with the Sword legion. Would work better with the arrow legion and you'd just have to hit a spot or something on the chimera holding the leash to stun and disengage.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Im having trouble with the final boss :^(
some tips? I got close with the beast legion but thing is a monster
Don't forget you can do the
legion fusion thing. That took out a big chunk of its health without too much effort when I did it. Just make sure it's not flying around when you transform, since it doesn't last too long.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Are you talking about effect spread when you say ability share? That just keeps the abilities active when your legion isn't out, basically a permanent sync keep.

I was. Guess I misinterpreted it and it's not as broken as I hoped it would be. Oh well. Abilities dropping with tiers like its Diablo/Destiny/any loot game definitely helps with replay ability.

Saw others ranking their favourite Platinum games. So far I've put in around 27 hours into Astral Chain and I still don't feel like I have a good grasp on the combat system. (Despite S+ ranking 3 chapter 12 missions, grading feels overly generous provided you style change)

As of right now my order is probably

1. Korra ( just really liked it)
2. Wonderful 101
3. Astral Chain
4. Vanquish
5. Metal Gear Rising
6. Transformers

This list is also a good reminder that I really need to play Nier Automata

Edit: AndrewGPK

You can use abilities to speed up your legions and to make you immune from the goop so those sections can be trivialised later on.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Don't forget you can do the
legion fusion thing. That took out a big chunk of its health without too much effort when I did it. Just make sure it's not flying around when you transform, since it doesn't last too long.
Yeah thats when i got close, unfortunately sometimes he does the flying thing and i cant attack,or the legion bar gets almost filled but doesn't flash

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Axe Nemesis.

I seem to die after 2 seconds. It looks like there's crystals or something for ARM Legion to pick up and occasionally they take down assholes shield. But not always.

Before I bin this game off for good, any tips on beating this guy?

Edit. Beat him. The environmental shit that damages you was very annoying since he stayed in those areas for a good portion over a few attempts.

Last edited:

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loathe the amount of graphical glitching and shit they put on screen when you are on low health. I legit cannot tell what is going on when it happens.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Man chapter 8 just goes

Jin's third car puzzle is too much for my poor action-orientated brain.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide if I want use brother or sister need some help here, who gets cooler looking gear

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the middle of file 8, but before that I was doing a ton of replaying earlier chapters grabbing the cats and finding the toilets and Hermit hideouts, and S+ ranking some stuff. I can't find the damn public toilet in File 01 though. Like, the File is tiny; there isn't even anywhere to hide the toilet in it, and yet I can't seem to find the damn thing!

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the middle of file 8, but before that I was doing a ton of replaying earlier chapters grabbing the cats and finding the toilets and Hermit hideouts, and S+ ranking some stuff. I can't find the damn public toilet in File 01 though. Like, the File is tiny; there isn't even anywhere to hide the toilet in it, and yet I can't seem to find the damn thing!

It's lying on it's side on the other side of the median right by the injured person blue case. Very easy to overlook.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
It's lying on it's side on the other side of the median right by the injured person blue case. Very easy to overlook.
Thank you! I'll go back and grab it as soon as I clear File 08 and can go back without restarting this chapter.

Edit: Heavy Traffic 3 with the S+ on the first try. Too many Layton puzzles in my history!

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh minor File 7 question:

Lappy is on the third floor at the start... and Marie is on the roof... I even went back to make sure Lappy was still there... THIS IS THE BIGGEST MYSTERY YET!

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
my goodness there's so much more post-game content than I would have ever imagined.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
So, uh minor File 7 question:

Lappy is on the third floor at the start... and Marie is on the roof... I even went back to make sure Lappy was still there... THIS IS THE BIGGEST MYSTERY YET!

Marie and Lappy are two different people, I don't understand.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
About halfway through the File 12 challenges. I actually really appreciate that these quick and succinct missions are in the end game, mainly because it gives you a way to easily show off the combat to a friend or just jump in quickly for a few missions at a time, works very well with playing on the go in handheld mode when I have little chunks of time to play. This gives File 12 a very arcadey vibe.

It's just a bit unfortunate that I heard the reward for beating the true final boss is just some item that is proof that you beat him, nothing more such as some super cool cosmetic items or something neat for your legions.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You don't have to finish it in one go.

It's a valid criticism. There are more than plenty of games out there where I can play for hours without ever feeling like I want a section of the game to just end already. I've had this feeling in a few chapters thus far in Astral Chain. If I want to dedicate a set amount of time to a game, I shouldn't have to stop playing it to make up for its bad pacing or monotony.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished File 5 and I enjoyed it a lot. I had some issues with the Doggo Legion but only needed a few retries with those Astral Plane sections running over the dissolving floors with the moving blockers. I mean, up until that point I thought the File was pretty damn cool with the whole thing going on in that part of the city and feeling like a First Responder in a way.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the post-final boss chapter worth doing? Just seems like a bunch of missions?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
YO THAT WAS HYPE AS HELL

Legion Fusion is awesome. Just a shame it sounds like it's not something I'm going to be able to do very often.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The game's pacing is perfect to me. The game is saving pretty much every 15-20 min. I have to be up early and had to stop playing ,checked and it saved literally 1 min ago. Tomorrow I'll load up and continue right where I left off with no progress lost.

File 08 was also fun as fuck, everything flows so well in this game. I loved all the mini games and seeing Lappy running around (wonder if I can catch them and get something.)

As I said before this game has been literally perfect so far, already one of the best games I've played in recent years

GOTY with Sekiro.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
The game's pacing is perfect to me. The game is saving pretty much every 15-20 min. I have to be up early and had to stop playing ,checked and it saved literally 1 min ago. Tomorrow I'll load up and continue right where I left off with no progress lost.

File 08 was also fun as fuck, everything flows so well in this game. I loved all the mini games and seeing Lappy running around (wonder if I can catch them and get something.)

As I said before this game has been literally perfect so far, already one of the best games I've played in recent years

GOTY with Sekiro.
Similar experience here.
Are those mini games even mandatory? I'm pretty sure you can skip most of them and go straight into main mission. I think most of them are optional.

I REALLY love how the game is structured. Every File has this hub world for you to explore, play around with mini games, taking pictures and navigating around finding collectibles, leading up to the real story content and boss fight. It's perfect for me too. I love it when a game includes funny side mission and mini games.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
guys, is there a way to lock on on an enemy and still be able to move the camera freely?
What camera settings for battle do you use?
Sometimes i have trouble seeing what's going on or to lock on the right enemy

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

GOTY with Sekiro.

Riding the Beast Legion is pretty fast :)

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Strange. I just cleared the Rank: Silver mission. "Complete the game with rank B or higher on Pt Standard or higher." Except that I haven't cleared the game; I've only just started File 09. It must be either a bug or it's averaging my current clears with an assumed D rank for the files I haven't reached yet, which would be a strange way to calculate it. I had gone back and cleared a few of the Files with S+, so perhaps that dragged my average up enough.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Strange. I just cleared the Rank: Silver mission. "Complete the game with rank B or higher on Pt Standard or higher." Except that I haven't cleared the game; I've only just started File 09. It must be either a bug or it's averaging my current clears with an assumed D rank for the files I haven't reached yet, which would be a strange way to calculate it. I had gone back and cleared a few of the Files with S+, so perhaps that dragged my average up enough.
yea it calculates an average rating

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at over 21 hours and just finished Chapter 6, playing on Pt Standard. Must be taking a while I guess, but not dying at all or replaying chapters either at this point.

Got a bunch of S+ ratings in this chapter, mixing things up and triggering multiple syncs seems to help, even though some of the action ends up being a blur. The final fight of the chapter (and yeah it was certainly long) was very impressive and stylishly handled as well.

CAAAAAAAAAAAW

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone happen to know which of the extra cases
Researcher M Glove and Researcher F Claw
are in? They're the only database entries I'm missing and I can't remember which had all of those specific enemies in it, and I don't feel like going through another 60+ to try and find them again...

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Still early on (file 3) but man, this game just isn't clicking so far. The stuff at base and then the investigation parts of chapters are just boring and kill the pacing. Then the combat just feels messy so far, so many buttons to remember. It feels so unnatural to me to have three of the shoulder buttons to control the legion and then the fourth is the attack button, and then I'm always pressing A to dodge instead of B. Obviously a learning curve but it doesn't feel 'right' to me. I'm trying to learn how to pull of this L button slash attack and it's so clunky, I'm just having to use it now to sever the link between two enemies and it's so finicky trying to line it up mid-action, and there's a weird delay between pressing the button and the actual UI appearing.
I'll keep going and hope it clicks, W101 is like in my top 10 games ever and I was hoping to like this just as much.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still early on (file 3) but man, this game just isn't clicking so far. The stuff at base and then the investigation parts of chapters are just boring and kill the pacing. Then the combat just feels messy so far, so many buttons to remember. It feels so unnatural to me to have three of the shoulder buttons to control the legion and then the fourth is the attack button, and then I'm always pressing A to dodge instead of B. Obviously a learning curve but it doesn't feel 'right' to me. I'm trying to learn how to pull of this L button slash attack and it's so clunky, I'm just having to use it now to sever the link between two enemies and it's so finicky trying to line it up mid-action, and there's a weird delay between pressing the button and the actual UI appearing.
I'll keep going and hope it clicks, W101 is like in my top 10 games ever and I was hoping to like this just as much.
I remapped my control scheme to Layout C which felt way more natural. Dodge is mapped to ZR like in Bayonetta.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

This L slash attack is such a chore to pull in a fight...
Otherwise I think this is a learning curve, but yeah, this gameplay is not usual.
I'm slowly getting used to it, but I'm hoarding D ratings so far.
Personnally I'm always lost when my character can't jump lol