• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really liking the combat in this game it feels good (even if only 30fps), mostly using bow legion + gun combo as seems easiest to doge stuff with, especially with the bigger bosses. I feel sometimes the non combat sections go on for too long but like how they set up the world and makes it feel a more real place that just combat encounters.

This L slash attack is such a chore to pull in a fight...

The bow legion fight was so annoying because of having to use the L slash. I feel time should of been slowed down more in that attack when in combat.

Might go back an actually complete Bayonetta 1 + 2 as my next game like this (once beaten dragon quest switch).

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I still have to play a bit more (in file 03), but this combat system might become my favourite this gen along with God of War.
I don't get the complaints about how dodge work, it is not OP like in Bayonetta and i like no invincibility in dodge, which makes the emphasis on spatial awareness and positioning even more important.

By the way i LOVE the sprint+dodge animation!

Last edited:

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Credits are rolling. Whew, that's some platinum goodness alright.
There's some great fights near the end. The combat also just really starts to click during the last file, I was switching through legions and doing crazy shit like was it second nature.

Gonna leave the post-game stuff for when there aren't boatloads of high profile games releasing the same month.

The tease at the end about Brenda researching the possibility of leaving the Ark makes me hopeful for a sequel in that setting. The different scenery would be quite a refreshing change from the game's current aesthetic. I'd imagine they'd want to re-use stuff though so probably unlikely.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
rI6igYx.png

FINALLY got around to picking this up! Looking forward to jumping in tonight.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Still early on (file 3) but man, this game just isn't clicking so far. The stuff at base and then the investigation parts of chapters are just boring and kill the pacing. Then the combat just feels messy so far, so many buttons to remember. It feels so unnatural to me to have three of the shoulder buttons to control the legion and then the fourth is the attack button, and then I'm always pressing A to dodge instead of B. Obviously a learning curve but it doesn't feel 'right' to me. I'm trying to learn how to pull of this L button slash attack and it's so clunky, I'm just having to use it now to sever the link between two enemies and it's so finicky trying to line it up mid-action, and there's a weird delay between pressing the button and the actual UI appearing.
I'll keep going and hope it clicks, W101 is like in my top 10 games ever and I was hoping to like this just as much.

Use control layout C. You're welcome.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Yup, makes me happy. Astral Chain is an amazing game despite some of its flaws.
I agree, this game is full hype anime cyberpunk action.
I am glad they took the metal music approach, it is really fitting.
Sometimes when I used Beast, I was reminded of Metal Gear Rising.
I will complete File 11 today or tomorrow, but the build up is really good.
The sneaking parts are horrendous though, I hope they will get improved or will get cut out.
Detective mode is pretty cool. Loving the fighting system and the Legions.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, finished the main game. 3rd best Platinum game (Bayo 1 and 2 are still my favorites from the studio). Summarizing my opinion on the game:

-Combat system is amazing, and the 30 FPS cap doesn't impact it as much as I feared. It feels like an streamlined version of what they've tried with TW101.
-Graphics/art are really good and the best Platinum has ever created. It makes me hopeful for Bayo3 and the new P* games.
-Gameplay variety has it's highs and lows like all P* games, in this one the investigation/exploration segments feel better than anything non-combat related in older P* games, which is a big improvement, but some of the minigames and special sections (stealth, bike, platforming) still feel far worse than combat sections and don't help the game to feel more interesting at all.
-Plot is pretty weak, it feels like a rehash of Eva or other animes and lacks the impact I expected. Even so, it's more ambitious than older P* games for sure (Automata is not a P* game entirely and the plot has nothing to do with P*) so maybe the next time they will deliver something better.
-Music is perfect for the game, it's not as memorable as Bayonetta's but it's pretty strong.
-The game has some area repetition, not only the Astral Plane looks always the same, but some of the real world areas are repeated several times. Yeah, different time of day and structural changes make the areas feel fresh, but for a long game like this I would like to have 2-3 new areas instead of Harmony Square 4 times.

Overall I think that they tried to do something bigger than they usually do, and were inspired by Automata. IMO the game is better than their collaboration with Yoko Taro: better art overall, non-combat sections are better most of the times, combat system is unique and not a bad version of Bayonetta... but they lack the writing and stories that Taro creates, so it's a really different experience. I hope they try again something like this, I love Bayonetta/Revengeance/Vanquish and their more focused action games, but I feel that they are slowly understanding how a more ambitious game is made. They tried it with TW101, that felt bloated with half-assed mechanics/ideas but was great overall, their collaboration with S-E has some really great sections but a bad implementation of open world and some really innecessary sections (sidescrolling levels for example are rather weak), and now Astral Chain is their best effort to make something more than an action game.

I hope that Nintendo takes the good sales as an incentive to make Astral Chain 2 a few years from now, the formula can be perfected and the main artstyle and legion mechanics have lots of potential.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Beast is terrible. There's no slow movement, it just shoots in whatever direction and jumps off platforms without a second thought. That combined with the disappearing platforms in case 5... Why does Platinum keep insisting in these types of platforms?

Also I loath that enemies attack off screen, is Bayonetta really the only game from them that did this right? There's no clear cue I find and I just get slaughtered by something I can't see or hear coming.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
The platforming in this game really is dreadful, yeah. If there's a sequel I don't want to see any of it, I really, really don't. Along with any annoying manouevering around disappearing platforms, moving obstacles. Hate it. The number of times I've rolled my eyes because of the fiddly chain jumping is very high. Especially when you have to do it around some fucking crystals and the character just brushes them and falls to their death.

Think I'm almost done now, found it quite funny that I've got the Order completed for beating the game with an A rank even though I'm still on chapter 11. Wonder if I'll get over the line for an S rank before the credits roll...

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished the infamous File 8. I didn't hate it and welcome the more calm atmosphere and tasks after the wild ride that was File 7. However, I don't think think most of the tasks / cases weren't that fun. Some of fun were even a bit annoying. Yet, I was expecting something similar to chapter 10 (was it 10?) in Final Fantasy XV, which everyone seemed to hate, while I personally liked it. That was not the case, though. Also, for the first time I noticed the framerate getting really bad at some parts in this chapter. It was only in a few instances, though. Looking forward to the next chapters.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I've completed the game and I'm some distance into the post-game stuff, which is waaaay more extensive than I thought it'd be.

It's a strange game, and I stand behind most of the criticisms I made of it when I was partway through. The pacing is strange, and the density of secrets in the levels had me slowing down and scouring everything (and still missing lots of cats, toilets, and cases), even when the game wants to create a sense of urgency. Minigames and side activities vary wildly in quality. The scoring system is absolutely busted, with battles being incredibly difficult to do well in early on, and then trivial to S+ once all your legions are available. Legion maintenance is a bad mechanic that makes the game worse. The story is incredibly predictable pulp, with few characters that really stand out, stakes that didn't feel as monumental to me as they should have (even at the game's climax), and lots of weirdly dropped plot threads surrounding critical aspect of the setting which I assume are being saved for the planned trilogy.

All that aside, I'm a sucker for Platinum combat and (at least without equipping healing codes) the game challenges you, lets you do lots of unique stylish stuff, and makes you feel cool for pulling it off. As messy as things get, figuring out cool legion combinations or landing a sexy Perfect Call is awesome. The post-game has been fun because it's basically nothing but arena fights, which are the game's strength. When they restrict items, they can even be rather challenging. Though again, I can't understand why you're returned from post-game missions in a different location than the place where you accept them. Leads to a completely unnecessary loading screen.

For me, it sits with Wonderful 101 as a Platinum game overstuffed with ideas with a quirky combat system. I felt like I understood Astral Chain better (or at least, well enough to get good ranks with its broken scoring), while Wonderful 101 had much better highs even though I never really was able to wrap my head around its systems. It's well below Revengeance and Bayonetta as an action game, and well below Nier Automata as a sci-fi action-RPG. Those are some of my favorite games of all time, so being worse than them still leaves it as something pretty good.

It's kind of remarkable that even as the main villain uses Legions as the basis of some world-changing plot (whose basis, Legionus-based legion fusion, didn't seem concretely understood by anyone until just a few days prior), both the true nature of Chimeras/Legions (Is your Axe Legion actually Max, as the game implied at the end? If that's true isn't that kind of monumental?) and the purpose of the Astral Plane are entirely forgotten. Even if the game never planned on doing anything with these core conceits of the setting in this entry, it seems strange to sideline them so completely.

I fell out of the world when it didn't load properly. I don't want to advertise my own twitter feed too much but there's a bunch of other tweets there showing off the weird proclivities of this (like, for example, riding/wearing the two Legions you can allows you protection from the void boundary and that leads to some weird shit)

This exact thing happened to me too. Weirdly you can take out the in-game camera while you're floating, but since you can't escape it without a hard reset, none of the photos will get saved.

Concreto

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still at the beginning, just finished ch 2 - 3h in, but I wish I as enjoying the game more.
I'm basically still at the tutorial, but instead of wanting to play nonstop, I just have enough with play sessions of 30 min at most.
Plus voice work really bothers me. I don't know exactly why, but it always seems like something is off.

I'm not saying this is a bad game - far from it. It is probably my fault for going with huge amounts of hype in, and it is fun enough. Just I was expecting to absolutely love it from the go (again, my fault for having big expectations).

Anyway, even if I ended up hating the game, I would still be happy for this purchase as I'm a ho for PlatinumGames and like to throw my money at them lol.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That file 09 was Bayonetta 2's fight against the Masked Lumen level of over the topness holy fuck.

are ya really telling me this wasn't even the final boss

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
rolled credits last night. few questions. where the fuck were some of those collectibles and missions, and cats, and toilets? also how do you parry with the axe legion and am i missing anything by not playing anymore?
I see there's like 71 cases in chapter 12, i've done 2 that gave me premium stuff and i S+ them both first try

Chapter 9 was hype as fuck, fav chapter, wish the game did better story escalation.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got through Kyle´s fight in Pt Ultimate. I only used one medicine after killing all minions before Kyle went on stage and removed all healing skills from my Legions, I think it took me more than 20 tries :P. I don´t think that allowing enemies to attack from offscreen is a good idea, with how many few i-frames your dodge has, the unforgiving timing for evades and perfect calls and many of your attacks not interrupting enemies it´s overwhelming when dealing with several enemies. BTW, a nice move when dealing with several enemies is to use a 360+ZR attack (with any weapon, but baton works best as it´s the fastest) and then use the Beast Legion´s sync attack: It will quickly flash around randomly dealing many hits that can interrupt enemies, giving you a moment to set up your next move. Also, sending your Legion out and jumping to it is a great way to get of out tight spots, specially when the camera fucks you over.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you rescue the Ninja kitty in File 04? Says to use an empty can, but I have one and can't figure out how to use it on the cat.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
How do you rescue the Ninja kitty in File 04? Says to use an empty can, but I have one and can't figure out how to use it on the cat.

I think you might have to select it on the wheel mapped to X. I don't know. There was a can on the ground in the room and I actually just kicked the can in front of the cats path.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, in the Astral plane in File 04 looking for
Jena

There's an area with fasting moving platforms going up and down. The quest marker shows me to find Jena by going up top above those platforms. But I noticed one of those cubes that I shot with my Legion and it opened a path to the right that changes the quest marker to an area where I can see Jena standing next to a portal. Do I have anything to Lose or gain by choosing either path? I don't wanna miss any items or anything else.

Edit: Nvm, that was back the way I came🤣

Last edited:

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
The platforming in this game really is dreadful, yeah. If there's a sequel I don't want to see any of it, I really, really don't. Along with any annoying manouevering around disappearing platforms, moving obstacles. Hate it. The number of times I've rolled my eyes because of the fiddly chain jumping is very high. Especially when you have to do it around some fucking crystals and the character just brushes them and falls to their death.

Think I'm almost done now, found it quite funny that I've got the Order completed for beating the game with an A rank even though I'm still on chapter 11. Wonder if I'll get over the line for an S rank before the credits roll...
If anything I don't want them to remove the plattforming, I want them to improve it.
It's just so easy to fall off that I feel that the game should have some active revovery mechanic, instead of just the passive "your legion pulls you up if you fall and you lose some health".
There were so many time I wished the game would allow something like that, and I'm not even that far into it.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Just wrapped up File 07. I've been super wishy-washy on how I feel about this game so far, but I think it's starting to click for me. The combat is slowly starting to feel better as I get a grasp on the options that I have available to me at any given time. Still middle-of-the-pack in terms of Platinum's catalogue, but I'm starting to enjoy it more.

Anyways, onwards to File 08 which is what I hear is the "bad" one. We'll see!

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
It's a strange game, and I stand behind most of the criticisms I made of it when I was partway through. The pacing is strange, and the density of secrets in the levels had me slowing down and scouring everything (and still missing lots of cats, toilets, and cases), even when the game wants to create a sense of urgency. Minigames and side activities vary wildly in quality. The scoring system is absolutely busted, with battles being incredibly difficult to do well in early on, and then trivial to S+ once all your legions are available. Legion maintenance is a bad mechanic that makes the game worse. The story is incredibly predictable pulp, with few characters that really stand out, stakes that didn't feel as monumental to me as they should have (even at the game's climax), and lots of weirdly dropped plot threads surrounding critical aspect of the setting which I assume are being saved for the planned trilogy...

thanks for this post! was about to give my impressions (just started the fifth chapter), & you've said it all as well as i could've...

i'm having an extremely hard time getting hooked on this game. there's just something cold & sterile about it (&, yeah, i know some of it's intentional, but it's there, nonetheless). the astral plane, in particular, is both completely lifeless & 100% solid ugly, & i've spent a whole lotta time there so far. i mean, graphically, technically, gameplay-wise, the game's solid. but it's just got no heart, &, after most of a week, i've yet to find myself actually looking forward to going back to it...

don't know what to think. sure as hell never expected to respond to the game like this. weird...

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting strong Deus Ex: HR vibes from
this game, specially in Harmony Square. I looove it.

Haven't played a game that came close to that atmosphere in a while.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Riding the Beast is terrible. There's no slow movement, it just shoots in whatever direction and jumps off platforms without a second thought. That combined with the disappearing platforms in case 5... Why does Platinum keep insisting in these types of platforms?

Also I loath that enemies attack off screen, is Bayonetta really the only game from them that did this right? There's no clear cue I find and I just get slaughtered by something I can't see or hear coming.

I was okay with the disappearing platforms as a platforming challenge, but didn't like them in the middle of combat. There is too much going on to know if you are on or near them.

In terms of falling, I think maybe they should have handled it like some parts of Sekiro where when you fall you often can grapple and save yourself. Putting in an actual mechanic like that, where if you save yourself you don't lose health would have saved some frustration.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
This game kinda reminds me of BOTW in the sense that I have lots of criticisms and ideas for how the game can be improved, but the totality of what it does right just far outweighs the grievances, and I really want a sequel.

BTW, catching a charging chimera with the chain and hurling them is unbelievably satisfying to pull off.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
man i just love how this game looks. to me this is the best looking switch game because of its style alone. platinum really hit it out of the park here.

Is there a way to get your ingame Camera pictures out in good quality?

EEII-EOUcAAiUMO

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Got busy the last few days but finished chapter 3. Will start chapter 4 soon. The platforming isn't good but nonetheless it's a good game so far. Loving the cut scenes and music and I'm taking a lot of screenshots and videos which is a good sign imo

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
People give Gravity Rush 2's stealth missions a lot of shit but my god these are awful. What's worse is crouch and sprint being on the same button. The way they're contexlualized makes them worth doing but holy hell they are frustrating.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
re: platforming.

I kinda enjoy it, especially when you use those pillars to wrap around. A certain boss fight would sure be lamer if you were making typical Platinum epic boss fight QTE jumps instead of traversing manually.

They just need to polish it up. Disable collisions during the chain pull aside from the things that you specifically intend as obstacles.

Also maybe implement a "clutch save" mechanic some have suggested above.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
In file 4 and i have to say Astral Chain exceeded my already high expectations.
Gameplay and combat feel sublime holy shit!

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Do you want to save?

Yes.

This will overwrite your data. Are you sure?

Yes.

And you wish to continue playing?

YES...

At this difficulty?

YES! YES! YES HOLY SHIT JUST SHUT UUUUUUUUUUP

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Do you want to save?

Yes.

This will overwrite your data. Are you sure?

Yes.

And you wish to continue playing?

YES...

At this difficulty?

YES! YES! YES HOLY SHIT JUST SHUT UUUUUUUUUUP
Hahaha I agree, the game should have a difficulty option a the start of the chapter or a selector in some menu, I wonder why they decided to ask every time you finish a chapter.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Holy freaking hell, I have managed to get 37+ cases at ranked S+ in file 12 but R2-14 Sector V case in file 12 can go to hell. Utter BS, I got 4 game overs already. Has anyone manage to defeat all the enemies? I managed to get to the end but those final 2 fast chimeras that spawn with the boss kills me.

I ain't looking forward to the rest of the cases.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
If I replay a chapter within a file... do I have to finish the whole file in order to continue to my latest played file/point in the game?
Does it affect progress, upgrades, ranks, rewards?

Also, any tips for camera configuration? I'm having trouble with the camera during battles.
I'd like to know this as well. I'd like to go back and play certain parts of certain files, but not if I'm going to be forced to finish the entire file each time.

Anyone?

Also, layout C, huh?