• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
To people having trouble with the final boss just make sure you use your Axe Legion a lot with Gladius mode and make sure you have Blue Shield and Power Charge for his abilities. This will make you survive longer. It is a tough battle but it's definitely not impossible.

Also to people wanting more consistent action in the game just get to File 12, there you literally just have arcadey short missions that you can play over an over again that will always give you access to the great combat whenever you want and quickly.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Started the game last night -- holy shit, it's fucking awesome. I've played through the opening chapter and just returned with my sole remaining Legion. One quick question, should I bump it up to the Standard PT difficulty now? I'm not a particularly seasoned Platinum game player, but I worry that I'm not getting the full experience if I keep it on the casual difficulty. Thoughts welcome!
I'd play it on standard. I never played a Platinum game before and I find the difficulty to be just right.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I am having trouble pulling this off. Does the Legion have to be put away? Or is it a case of pulling it back when you're about to be hit.

Must be put away. The timing seems to be a bit stricter than a dodge. If you unlock sync attack on perfect call for your legion, it makes it easier to tell when you've done it correctly.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
Finished the game last night, without a doubt platinums best game, combat is the slickest it's ever been, a real looker and a very decent story also glad I chose to play as the male as the main story beats came across great from the perspective of Akira, tough to think whether this is my GOTY over Sekiro but it's damn close.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Just finished it. Damn this game went full hype mode at the end. Really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to the sequel already. By the way. Are there two endings? Or just one?

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Still kind of early in the game I think but holy shit, did the difficulty seem to ramp up suddenly for anyone else? Particularly ...
after you get Arrow
Been playing on Pt Standard and spent quite a bit of time in the training room prior but suddenly now I'm getting tossed around by new enemies.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in the states who ordered the CE from GAME receive it yet? Mine shipped back on the 30th and still hasn't arrived. I also can't seem to track the order either.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something weird I just realized (File 6 spoilers):
When you are in the vent spying the Ermits, how can Hal see the Chimera they´re fighting? Camera´s (except your own when taking pictures for some reason) don´t seem to be able to see them.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've pulled a Perfect Call off once.

The issue is it takes a minute or whatever to set the skills up. Then I go into the battle and die almost immediately. Then it's reload, set up Legion again, try again.

No hearts, no meds :(

If I load chapter 9 again, will that start me on the
motorbike? Or the helipad fight? I don't want to do either again, really, but I feel I am stuck now.

Last edited:

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've pulled a Perfect Call off once.

The issue is it takes a minute or whatever to set the skills up. Then I go into the battle and die almost immediately. Then it's reload, set up Legion again, try again.

No hearts, no meds :(

If I load chapter 9 again, will that start me on the motorbike? Or the helipad fight? I don't want to do either again, really, but I feel I am stuck now.

Unfortunately if you have to reload the File without a save at the PC, you have to start from the beginning of it as if you haven't done it yet. Learned it the hard way after running out of healing items during the boss fight. Immediately bought out Brenda's stock afterwards.

Oct 27, 2017
When you are in the vent spying the Ermits, how can Hal see the Chimera they´re fighting? Camera´s (except your own when taking pictures for some reason) don´t seem to be able to see them.

Just keep on playing at it becomes clear. You can already figure it out at just looking closely at Kyle and the Hermits.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately if you have to reload the File without a save at the PC, you have to start from the beginning of it as if you haven't done it yet. Learned it the hard way after running out of healing items during the boss fight. Immediately bought out Brenda's stock afterwards.

Fuck sake. This file you CANNOT buy items before you start. I am almost at the point of dropping this game, it's very frustrating.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
I believe Hal's drone is military hardware, and cameras that can see Chimeras exist (the IRIS, your camera) but are stated to be very expensive to make and therefore not widely available. Since Hal is a part of Neuron, he gets access to that stuff.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
So, AC will probably end up on my GotY lost but it's nerverhtless the first P* game that feels like a one-amd-done-affair to me.
I fell no motivation to replay the chapters because of the non-gameplay parts (which I really enjoyed on my Frist playthrough) and the simply scoring.
I don't eveb see me completing chapter 12.
In comparison I completed bayo 2 and recently DMC5 3-4 times in a row.
AC feels way more like a traditional action rpg than a "character action game", which is absolutely fine. It does give me a new perspective of all the talk about dmc needing "better level design" though.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just keep on playing at it becomes clear. You can already figure it out at just looking closely at Kyle and the Hermits.
I believe Hal's drone is military hardware, and cameras that can see Chimeras exist (the IRIS, your camera) but are stated to be very expensive to make and therefore not widely available. Since Hal is a part of Neuron, he gets access to that stuff.
Oh yeah, that makes sense, thanks!

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
So, AC will probably end up on my GotY lost but it's nerverhtless the first P* game that feels like a one-amd-done-affair to me.
I fell no motivation to replay the chapters because of the non-gameplay parts (which I really enjoyed on my Frist playthrough) and the simply scoring.
I don't eveb see me completing chapter 12.
In comparison I completed bayo 2 and recently DMC5 3-4 times in a row.
AC feels way more like a traditional action rpg than a "character action game", which is absolutely fine. It does give me a new perspective of all the talk about dmc needing "better level design" though.
I tend to agree about the scoring system, although I've found it very fun to go back and replay everything on Pt Ultimate now that I know the ins and outs of the combat and have all the sync attack stuff unlocked. The enemies are actually a huge step up in challenge and your Legion taking damage transfers half of it to you, so you have to play very differently and a lot more defensively, which coupled with how bad the dodge is compared to bayonetta makes the game feel super fun to me. I'm not sure I can stomach getting S+es on all the Pt Standard stuff but I can see myself going back to Pt Ultimate fairly often.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I tend to agree about the scoring system, although I've found it very fun to go back and replay everything on Pt Ultimate now that I know the ins and outs of the combat and have all the sync attack stuff unlocked. The enemies are actually a huge step up in challenge and your Legion taking damage transfers half of it to you, so you have to play very differently and a lot more defensively, which coupled with how bad the dodge is compared to bayonetta makes the game feel super fun to me. I'm not sure I can stomach getting S+es on all the Pt Standard stuff but I can see myself going back to Pt Ultimate fairly often.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from, I played until chapter 6 on P* Ultimate but it feels the need for defensive play that you describe makes me play way less creatively than other P* games (or DMC) and the scoring does not punish you for always doing the same.
As I said, I love the game (and I spent as much time on the story as on three full bayo 2 playthroughs ;)) but it simply does not trigger my personal motivation for replaying it. Which is, again, totally fine by me, I spent around 30 hours on the 1,5 playthrough and am absolutely satisfied with the game.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There must be a way of setting the legions up and it saving. Having to do my legions, set my health assignments up before each attempt, then dying over and over.

File 09 starts MILES back too, I don't think I can stand to have to play through that again :/

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Do you sell your stuff? I seem to have loads of things I can sell (chipped radio, damaged glasses, x-batons) etc. Worth doing? Or need to keep it?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
For people who have played through the game, I'm looking for thoughts on a character I didn't fully understand. I appreciate anyone's thoughts/help.

I really liked Jena Anderson. She was one of my favorite characters, and even though she was a villain, the way things ended with her only endeared me to her more. I kind of wish she'd come back at the end in some way. But I never fully understood Jena's story and motivations.

After the Pandemic, she got stuck in the Astral Plane but somehow didn't redshift, so she became a sort of superhuman with Astral Plane powers? Is that her origin story?

What was she trying to do besides stop Yoseph? What did she need the giant monsters for? Was it to destroy the ARI and Yoseph or something more?

What was she offering the people of the ARK in her broadcasts? What did she see as the future for humanity?

I know that's a lot of questions. I felt like I grasped the gist of what she was doing, but I never figured out the details. If anyone could help me with their understanding or interpretation, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I couldn't remember if her story ended in File 8 or 9, so I played it safe and said 9.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There must be a way of setting the legions up and it saving. Having to do my legions, set my health assignments up before each attempt, then dying over and over.

File 09 starts MILES back too, I don't think I can stand to have to play through that again :/

What exactly is giving you trouble in File 09? Are you on PT Standard?
I just beat it with S+ on first try (PT Standard). Use Axe Legion for shield and dodge like mad.
Lappy Special drink helps too.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is giving you trouble in File 09? Are you on PT Standard?
I just beat it with S+ on first try (PT Standard). Use Axe Legion for shield and dodge like mad.
Lappy Special drink helps too.

Just getting fucked on what I assume is the last boss of the file. No health items, no hearts...

Yeah PT Standard.

I've gone easily through the rest of the game, just this is killing me. If it's not the annoying platforming, it's just the damage. Maybe I'll try with Axe.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just getting fucked on what I assume is the last boss of the file. No health items, no hearts...

Yeah PT Standard.

I've gone easily through the rest of the game, just this is killing me. If it's not the annoying platforming, it's just the damage. Maybe I'll try with Axe.

The Arrow Legion sync attack helped , check if you have the Legion ability that heals you just for having your legion out too. I think I picked that up early game.
I just made sure to get right to the boss fast, luckily it's only two/three platforms.
Also check to see if you have a battery recharge item. Can give you an extra heart.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Is the local Co-op actually any fun? I've been tempted to give it a go with my SO but it doesn't sound fun tbh

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
Finished File 11. Nice final boss but I guess W101 is not getting dethroned anytime soon.

Had to use extra batteries for the first time but I still managed to beat him without game over. Thanks dad and your super shield

By the way:

Was that our character who was speaking at the beginning ?

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Arrow Legion sync attack helped , check if you have the Legion ability that heals you just for having your legion out too. I think I picked that up early game.
I just made sure to get right to the boss fast, luckily it's only two/three platforms.
Also check to see if you have a battery recharge item. Can give you an extra heart.

Cheers. I don't think I've got either of those abilities, I'll check.

The problem now is that I have to spend minutes each attempt setting the Legions up, then die after 1 minute, then have to reload to spend the time setting up again.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Axe Legion I last about 3 seconds before being destroyed by the enemies at the start of the fight. He's just too slow to move around and I am getting smacked about by them.

Having absolutely no way of getting even 1 piece of fucking health without having to start the File again is a joke.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Axe Legion I last about 3 seconds before being destroyed by the enemies at the start of the fight. He's just too slow to move around and I am getting smacked about by them.

Having absolutely no way of getting even 1 piece of fucking health without having to start the File again is a joke.

What level are your X-Baton and Legatus? I went in with Level 8s for both.
Do you have Hit Rush ability? You can unchain one Legion and summon another, basically two Legions attacking at once.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What level are your X-Baton and Legatus? I went in with Level 8s for both.
Do you have Hit Rush ability? You can unchain one Legion and summon another, basically two Legions attacking at once.

Baton and Legatus are about level 5 each.

I don't think I've got that ability. Most legions have one only got one slot available for upgrades anyway :(

I got much further that time, boss down to 1/4 health maybe.

The platforming fucks me every single time. I got to the boss (in front of it) and had lost most of my 1000 health.

Seems like a ridiculous difficulty spike, this boss.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to Chapter 6, this might dethrone Tetris 99 as my GotY. Might be my favorite Platinum game yet, the combat is amazing once it clicks and I love all the investigation and world-building.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just finished Chapter 9.

Firstly... holy shit.

Secondly... how long do I have until the ending? Wondering whether I should wrap this up today (nearly 10pm and I tend to go to sleep at 12) or do it tomorrow.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
Just finished Chapter 9.

Firstly... holy shit.

Secondly... how long do I have until the ending? Wondering whether I should wrap this up today (nearly 10pm and I tend to go to sleep at 12) or do it tomorrow.
there's 2 more chapters in the main story, each of which can easily take a couple hours depending on what you do. Finish it tomorrow.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Chapter 9.

Firstly... holy shit.

Depends on how much of the optional stuff you decide to do in 10 and 11, but you're probably not wrapping up in under 2 hours your first time through even if you ignore all of the optional cases.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For people who have played through the game, I'm looking for thoughts on a character I didn't fully understand. I appreciate anyone's thoughts/help.

I really liked Jena Anderson. She was one of my favorite characters, and even though she was a villain, the way things ended with her only endeared me to her more. I kind of wish she'd come back at the end in some way. But I never fully understood Jena's story and motivations.

After the Pandemic, she got stuck in the Astral Plane but somehow didn't redshift, so she became a sort of superhuman with Astral Plane powers? Is that her origin story?

What was she trying to do besides stop Yoseph? What did she need the giant monsters for? Was it to destroy the ARI and Yoseph or something more?

What was she offering the people of the ARK in her broadcasts? What did she see as the future for humanity?

I know that's a lot of questions. I felt like I grasped the gist of what she was doing, but I never figured out the details. If anyone could help me with their understanding or interpretation, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I couldn't remember if her story ended in File 8 or 9, so I played it safe and said 9.
I think the best way to think about Jena is that she was the only person to ever enter the Astral Plane and survive, prior to the events of the game when your legion pulls you in in chapter 2. What was to everyone else theory became her reality, and presumably it was the only reality she had for nearly 20 years, before somehow she made it back into the human world. Her theory was essentially that the Astral Plane was a great filter, some kind of device set up by aliens or something to destroy humanity once it became too powerful, however she sees it as a good thing, freeing humanity from its responsibilities and duties. She thinks people should accept and enjoy their transition into the Astral Plane, perhaps because when their souls are uploaded into it they will be free from pain, or something along those lines. I don't think she really knows what's going on but is just trying to process it all. Jena created monsters to stop Yoseph from resisting humanity's global redshift. She's basically Mother Theresa, believing that people should accept some pain in this life so that they can experience peace in their future lives. Her message to the people is basically "You're all going to die, you can't stop it, accept that fact and take pleasure in it happening".

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I have done 45/71 cases at rank S+ in file 12. I'm starting to lose it, the difficulty is insane, the amount of game overs I got is too high. So much BS too lol. To achieve 100% in this game is going to be so hard...

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I think the best way to think about Jena is that she was the only person to ever enter the Astral Plane and survive, prior to the events of the game when your legion pulls you in in chapter 2. What was to everyone else theory became her reality, and presumably it was the only reality she had for nearly 20 years, before somehow she made it back into the human world. Her theory was essentially that the Astral Plane was a great filter, some kind of device set up by aliens or something to destroy humanity once it became too powerful, however she sees it as a good thing, freeing humanity from its responsibilities and duties. She thinks people should accept and enjoy their transition into the Astral Plane, perhaps because when their souls are uploaded into it they will be free from pain, or something along those lines. I don't think she really knows what's going on but is just trying to process it all. Jena created monsters to stop Yoseph from resisting humanity's global redshift. She's basically Mother Theresa, believing that people should accept some pain in this life so that they can experience peace in their future lives. Her message to the people is basically "You're all going to die, you can't stop it, accept that fact and take pleasure in it happening".

Okay, that makes total sense. The "everyone will shift over" thing was what I was thinking based on her earlier explanation of the Astral Plane's existence/purpose and especially her broadcast, but I couldn't understand how that was "saving humanity." What I missed, or forgot, is she felt this was humanity's destiny to be pulled in and that it's good. Now, the primary places I'm getting stuck are:

1. Why she thought the Astral Plane ascension was inevitable while still blaming Yoseph for the Pandemic. (Hopefully I'm remembering correctly that she blamed him for the Pandemic.) Did she think he only caused the pain associated with the Pandemic and saw the Pandemic itself as good? And as File 12 establishes, Yoseph's activity seemed to be somehow causing the gates to be opening, making it seem like it was not inevitable. Did she not know this? However, Yoseph being responsible does not explain how the gates started appearing in the first place, so maybe I've misunderstood why the gates are disappearing at the end of the game. Maybe Yoseph only increased the volume, and although there are fewer now, they'll always keep coming, supporting Jena's idea.

2. She thought humanity would retain their humanity in her plan over Yoseph's. Her final line about who would be human in Yoseph's plan is really sticking out to me, given her plan seems to involve a lot of people turning into Chimera/disappearing into the Astral Plane. My guess: she thought that humans becoming Chimera/going to the Astral Plane was "natural" and part of the world's order, thus preserving humanity as it's supposed to be, while Yoseph's plan was "unnatural" due to him trying to fight against the invasion.

Also, this is a random question for anyone reading: Why did the Astral Plane affect everyone so strongly at the beginning of the game yet your character seems to handle being there fine after that moment? Maybe you still have to make sure you don't stay too long and they didn't want to always show you in pain? Or it has to do with the synchronization between you and your Legion, which gets better over time?

Thank you so much for that summary! I know I'm asking a lot, so no need to answer anything more. You really brought some of the pieces together for me.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
About to start chapter 9 after a good nights sleep I guess, looks like it's where many of you are / just have been and that I'm in for a ride.

This game is currently my GOTY, love it. Would it be reasonable to expect me to beat it tomorrow or is it too many hours away?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
How do I reread the
text stuff partaining to the backstory, especially the ones where you have to input a code to read some of them
?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is the only thing to do with ability modes you don't want is to delete them? Is it smart to do that? Or should I just keep them all? Screen's just getting kind of cluttered, and I can only use 2 currently (have 2 Legions)