• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I find collecting the red particles really redious and I hate it, never even get 100%...

My question is should I keep doing it or just ditch it? Is there a reason for it if im not even 100%ing it?
You're not supposed to get 100%, the only orders for red matter are for 80% in a file. Red matter gives you a little bit of xp to increase your officer rank at the end of the file and extends your legion's meter, but you only need to hit a couple to hit the max

The SPP

Oct 27, 2017
So, has anyone found how to unlock the rest of the custom color slots for your player character? You get the first one early on by using the bathroom in HQ, but after beating the game and replaying for S+ ranks I still only have the one slot. Which is annoying since I want to play around with more colors.

I can only guess that it's an item hidden in one of the files like Eye Color+ is, which would fit with the game's tendency of providing an item that opens up more customization than you initially started with (Legion Color+, Hair Color+, Skin Color+...), but I can't find any info anywhere on it. The only thing I found was a buried Reddit post mentioning that it's an item you have to find which unlocks slots 2 through 10. Right now though, the only item guides out there are screenshots of the ingame maps with everything found, which just means the item locations are indicated by check marks in their general area without saying what they actually are. And I really don't want to scour all 11 files for a few days trying to find this one unlock when I just want to try out more customization without losing my one preset :(

Anybody know where to unlock them and remembers how they did it?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Ordered the LE from Amazon DE. They used ASNDI (which I guess is Asendia), and since September 3rd there has been no update on the tracking progress. The last thing was "Package departed an Amazon facility" at Rochester, GB and since then nothing. And the problem is that it's being sent to the wrong address and despite me telling Amazon DE's customer service that I don't live in those apartments anymore and them saying that they fixed it, the address still says that it's being sent there.

Supposed to arrive today, nothing here. Called the apartment complex office and nothing there either. According to Asendia's tracking site the parcel could not be found.

I'm getting really worried.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Could someone please give me a hint as to the location of the toilet in File 06 without outright telling me where it is? Even just which section of the File would be great. I've been all over this File twice, found all the cases, the rare slime, and the cat, but the stupid toilet is eluding me. XD

Edit: After a third time finding squat (well, except for one more chest and one more lost item, I suppose), I finally looked this one up. No wonder I couldn't find it. It's bullshit and not a bathroom.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaarrrrgh this one case in file 12

The second one in the Hermits' arena. On my most recent attempt I made it to Kyle and the Sword Legion Type R without having used my AED charge. Then things started going south so I had to use my fusion. I took out the legion and just had Kyle left but... The legion was still there? I had Kyle to about a quarter health. I have heard there's one more thing after Kyle and the Legion too.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's pretty wild to me that my 2 favorite games this year are both action games with HORRENDOUS cameras in Sekiro and Astral Chain. Just awful. The final boss in this game was much harder than it needed to be cause the camera just flat out didn't work.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who the hell actually thought stealth sections in this game were a good idea? I've never played such an annoying stealth section in my entire life. Wow, about to just give up and take D's on all these sections, they are incredibly bad.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind if they keep their focus on the non-combat parts, my main issue was that what they had was pretty lightweight and I found it more of a chore than something I looked forward to (which was the initial emotion).

Also, the Astral Plane areas really could do with some variety if they do that again. An alternate plane works well with games, but it's been done so much better with other titles. This was basically the same repeated area or areas over and over again.
That Astral plane type area looked different at least (when you were smashing the shield etc) so even if they mix it up visually it would be slightly better

Anyway!

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just started the game and am through File 2, but is the dodge supposed to be terrible? It was really apparent with Big Hands, where if I dodge perfectly, I get hit immediately by a follow-up attack. It's nothing like Bayonetta, so was wondering if it's just something I have to deal with or if it gets better. It's actually dragging the combat down right now.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So, I just started the game and am through File 2, but is the dodge supposed to be terrible? It was really apparent with Big Hands, where if I dodge perfectly, I get hit immediately by a follow-up attack. It's nothing like Bayonetta, so was wondering if it's just something I have to deal with or if it gets better. It's actually dragging the combat down right now.
Dodge isn't supposed to be as reliable as it is in titles like Bayonetta.

You get several defensive options in this game and the dodge is but one of them. For attacks that involve spins and multiple hits, it preferable to dodge backwards and get out of range rather than try to keep dodging through hits. Think of it like games like monster hunter where sometimes you need to back off, rather than pressing on.

Ideally, when you're dealing with attacks like that, you use a mechanic you don't have access to right now, which is basically this game's parry(they also have Mahaa Kala style regular parry that is attached to an equipable passive ability for some weird reason)

The mechanic I'm talking about is Perfect Call and is unlockable via the skill tree. You summon the Legion right at the moment of your enemy's hit landing (must be dismissed beforehand).

Last edited:

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Dodge isn't supposed to be as reliable as it is in titles like Bayonetta.

You get several defensive options in this game and the dodge is but one of them. For attacks that involve spins and multiple hits, it preferable to dodge backwards and get out of range rather than try to keep dodging through hits. Think of it like games like monster hunter where sometimes you need to back off, rather than pressing on.

Ideally, when you're dealing with attacks like that, you use a mechanic you don't have access to right now, which is basically this game's parry(they also have Mahaa Kala style regular parry that is attached to an equipable passive ability for some weird reason)
Cool, thank you for the info. I'll switch up my strategy then. I've been conditioned after Nier and Bayonetta to dodge through attacks.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Cool, thank you for the info. I'll switch up my strategy then. I've been conditioned after Nier and Bayonetta to dodge through attacks.
Basically, your dodge does have i-frames, but in much fewer numbers.

Most agree that dodging backwards is safer than sidewards and forwards. Also you'll soon be dealing with sync attacks that you can initiate off of combos and other actions, including dodge, but keep in mind that only certain Legion sync attacks off the dodge have invincibilty (arm and beast AFAIK).

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Either that, or they could take up some more Yakuza influence for their future sidequests and side characters - there are already hints of them trying to do slightly more creative things with the four-part sentient machine sidequest, so being able to refine things further now that they have experience planning out these RPG-like elements on their own would be good to see.
I'm wondering if they could have quest-lines with every character in the police station, or at least the more notable ones. Maybe a system like social links in a limited capacity?

Something to open up different characters of Neuron and connect to them more. Like maybe having a wacky quest-line about ghosts with Shizu or rescuing animals for that dude who sits near the elevators.

You got a bit of fleshing out for the OG Legionis crew with flashbacks showing their relationship with Max, so I'd like them to go farther in that direction.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm wondering if they could have quest-lines with every character in the police station, or at least the more notable ones. Maybe a system like social links in a limited capacity?

Something to open up different characters of Neuron and connect to them more. Like maybe having a wacky quest-line about ghosts with Shizu or rescuing animals for that dude who sits near the elevators.

You got a bit of fleshing out for the OG Legionis crew with flashbacks showing their relationship with Max, so I'd like them to go farther in that direction.
I like this because my time with the drone voiced my Kyle McCarley was nice and I felt like they were going to do that when we got time with the Doctor in the science lab but then nothing else happened with the rest. They all look so vibrantly designed and interesting that the only three characters we talk to regularly are Marie, Akira, and the Drone lol.

The hub did a good job of giving a "voice" to a lot of side characters and different characters, I just want the core cast to be a bit more fleshed out next go around.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017

A more complex affinity / character-linked sidestory system would definitely be a natural way to progress things - as it is, it does feel like most of the existing supporting cast drop out of the game halfway through after you get their legions, not to mention the even less explored minor cast. It'd also work well with how the hub intersects with the linear structure, as you'd get multiple chances to start or continue these side plots throughout the game through naturally passing through your home base again.

Oct 27, 2017
It's been hard for me to come back to this game...there's way too much downtime between combat scenarios, which wouldn't be a problem if the story and characters were engaging or the activities were fun, but they are most definitely not.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I personally can't share the downtime complaints because I feel like the exploration is mostly on point within the Astral Plane and outside of it.

I don't need better story to enjoy finding a secret boss portal behind a dumpster or cardboard face mask on some detour.

Helps that while the story isn't that great, worldbuilding is pretty nice.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I personally can't share the downtime complaints because I feel like the exploration is mostly on point within the Astral Plane and outside of it.

I don't need better story to enjoy finding a secret boss portal behind a dumpster or cardboard face mask on some detour.

Helps that while the story isn't that great, worldbuilding is pretty nice.

Some of the stuff is a little too hard to get though. Unless I did it wrong (which is certainly possible) the Cat Hologram Face Mask was absolutely brutal to get

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
File 09. Wow, it definitely lived up to the hype. About half-way through it I was thinking, I don't see what is so special......but then the final fight of that File just kept on building.

First time since very early in the game that I've actually died and the only time I've seen a game over screen. Would have helped if I had known to shoot arrows at bosses doing that big laser blast of energy thing. I didn't think there was anything you could do about that, but figured it out and then it became easy. Kinda glad I didn't thought because being the animation being knocked off that main platform and working my way back was really cool and felt epic.

I wonder if the character were a little load like how other Platinum game are they would had stand out?
Like how ridiculous the character were in Metal Gear Rising but I remember them cause they were likable and were there for you in weird and fun ways.

Oct 25, 2017
The Zelda-lite dungeons and the Detective scenarios are really cool, I thought.
Even stealth is neat since it's not too common.
The only "downtime" that's a real problem is getting swept up in side quests in the open city parts.
Even then some sections are still quite good like the chapter 10 city.

Chapter 8 is pretty dreadful since it's a collection of all the worst mini games, probably meant to be the calm before the storm but can ruin the pacing if you dedicate too much time to it.
Even the second half of the chapter is pretty good so it's not all bad, just concentrated at the beginning. It's all optional so you can just skip it, and you should.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I think figured out why the ranking system is so weird and it's because they attached tangible rewards and didn't want less proficient players (like myself lol) to miss out.

They should just let you customize that next time. At the very least selecting a "Casual" preset "and a Pt Standard" preset (as in, ranking works like in previous P* games).

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Complaints I understand and agree with:

- Pacing can be a bit bad at times with too much down time and a little too many tacked on side missions.
- Minigames really don't need to be ranked.
- Stealth parts are unnecessary and annoying.
- Camera at times.
- Platforming in a few sections.

Complaints I disagree with:

- "Story is cliche/not intersting" - Jeez, I really think its good and the story presentation is absolutely top tier.
- "Red matter clean up is tedious" - It isn't really. 1) It helps prevent you from getting lost and helps you find items - getting lost would be more tedious. 2) It helps you particularly early on practice moving your legion. 3) Its actually really fast and easy, if you go out of your way it usually leads to an item, and it boosts your legion going into to combat or allows you to leave them out longer when you need them for platforming/navigation. 4) Constantly giving you something to do and use your legion.
- "Platforming is terrible." - There are a few parts where its bad or unfair as I said above, and actually that isn't the controls but the level design itself (putting disappear floors on the ground during combat). It actually feels pretty natural to me and helps you practice an important combat technique as well and makes use of the astral chain, which is the unique feature in the game. For the most part its a net positive. I like the arm and axe puzzles and the sequences where you ride the beast over platforms as well. (As I said earlier, they should have put a feature in like in parts of sekiro where you can pull off an emergency save by throwing out your legion when you start falling off a platform. That would make sense and help prevent what really I think is annoying people, the automatic health loss from falling.)

Last edited:

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I think figured out why the ranking system is so weird and it's because they attached tangible rewards and didn't want less proficient players (like myself lol) to miss out.

They should just let you customize that next time. At the very least selecting a "Casual" preset "Pt Standard" (as in, ranking works like in previous P* games)

I thought at first it was going to be based on efficiency, time, and not getting hit, but definitely seems to be more about just using a variety of legions and their moves and pulling off syncs, etc.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I thought at first it was going to be based on efficiency, time, and not getting hit, but definitely seems to be more about just using a variety of legions and their moves and pulling off syncs, etc.
For the next game they should offer ranking system selection with three options":
1) Casual (how it is in this game, based mostly on the number of options used, not penalizing you for damage and healing, etc)
2) Pt Standard (how it was in the older Pt games)
3) Custom (mix and match to your liking. Make a system stricter than any Pt game if you so desire or make a mix os strictness and leniency that feels just right for you, the player).

This way no player will be locked out of rewards while action fans get their proper real deal action rankings. For a game that lets me change the color of the damn UI I was almost surprised not to find something like this.

Nov 14, 2017
You know, that reminds me how the game doesn't fully explain Jena's motivations, but it's implied that
her ultimate plan, after defeating Yoseph, was to use Homunculi to combat the corruption. She wanted mankind to "survive as is" ad her giant monsters, as noted by NPC scientists on that rooof in File 08, reduce the levels of corruption and suck up Chimeras. They are basically giant roombas.

With that in mind, her Homunculus wasn't what was causing the shitstorm in File 06, it was actually the reason it didn't turn into a full-blown pandemic
My personal theory about Jena is that
she was using the legion cores she stole to make her homunculi. We know Legions can also absorb chimeric data, and it'd fill in the plothole that Noah looks like a homunculus, since it would've been created through similar means (lots of legion cores, albeit fused with cloned humans). The Protolegions even kinda look like homunculi, with the purple and silver color scheme.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
For the next game they should offer ranking system selection with three options":
1) Casual (how it is in this game, based mostly on the number of options used, not penalizing you for damage and healing, etc)
2) Pt Standard (how it was in the older Pt games)
3) Custom (mix and match to your liking. Make a system stricter than any Pt game if you so desire or make a mix os strictness and leniency that feels just right for you, the player).

For a game that lets me change the color of the damn UI I was almost surprised not to find something like this.

Seems reasonable. There have been quite a few times were I felt like I was really terrible at a sequence and screwed it up and got an S+ and then other times where I felt like I kicked the shit out of the enemy and got a C.

In some ways its understandable. I mean, Sword legion is my bread and butter, where I feel safe and comfortable. I probably use my other legions more often in combat because I know variety will help my score. Therefore, my idea would be to maybe keep it this way for PT Standard so that people really use all their legions and familiarize themselves with pros and cons of each on first play through, but then offer rankings for ultimate that are based more on how efficient and good you are at taking out the enemy.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's pretty wild to me that my 2 favorite games this year are both action games with HORRENDOUS cameras in Sekiro and Astral Chain. Just awful. The final boss in this game was much harder than it needed to be cause the camera just flat out didn't work.

Is Sekiro's camera really bad though? It's just the dark souls camera. It points at what you point it at and the arenas are pretty open. And combat is rarely if ever as fast as Astral Chain. And you're almost never fighting more than a couple enemies at a time.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Is Sekiro's camera really bad though? It's just the dark souls camera. It points at what you point it at and the arenas are pretty open. And combat is rarely if ever as fast as Astral Chain. And you're almost never fighting more than a couple enemies at a time.

I beat the game 4 times, the camera is terrible and multiple bosses break the camera as a mechanic maybe? But likely just due to bad design. It's bad and I'm far from the first person to complain about that

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I beat the game 4 times, the camera is terrible and multiple bosses break the camera as a mechanic maybe? But likely just due to bad design. It's bad and I'm far from the first person to complain about that

Well i beat it FORTY times (not really but i beat it quite a few times) and it really just seemed like standard souls camera to me with the exception of the two Large bosses. and maybe the ogre.

I had zero issues. Nothing near the issues i can have in Astral Chain. It's like completely different leagues of bad camera

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
is it just me or this game is really fucking hard? i am in file 3 so far, iam playing on plt stranded mode and i just can't for the life me dodge the spinning shit some of those big enemies do, they give way too much damage

plus the camera here SUCKS, may even give MGR a run for the worst camera in an action game ever

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else miserably tried to get
dog holomask
I ended up getting it after a solid 20 mins of failing but I just realized, it is possible to use arm legion to fly over to the platform??

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
My personal theory about Jena is that
she was using the legion cores she stole to make her homunculi. We know Legions can also absorb chimeric data, and it'd fill in the plothole that Noah looks like a homunculus, since it would've been created through similar means (lots of legion cores, albeit fused with cloned humans). The Protolegions even kinda look like homunculi, with the purple and silver color scheme.
Oh my God, I just realized they had an opportunity to do a neat if not truly original plot twist
They should've made it so Legions are actually created from Homunculi made from fusing human beings (or at least clones), with Chimeras and that Proto-Legions are exactly that. .Say Yoseph lied about them being just captured Chimeras and him supplying the botched medicine to cause redshift was a part of all that. It would be a big shocking plot reveal that would make the whole subjugation thing truly morally questionable.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Spoiler question- but how often do you get to use the bike in this?
Twice including the intro.
i just can't for the life me dodge the spinning shit some of those big enemies do, they give way too much damage
Dodging is not the way to deal with it except to dodge outward and the try to get away. Use Perfect Call or maybe Chain Jump away... or one of the other defensive options.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
is it just me or this game is really fucking hard? i am in file 3 so far, iam playing on plt stranded mode and i just can't for the life me dodge the spinning shit some of those big enemies do, they give way too much damage

plus the camera here SUCKS, may even give MGR a run for the worst camera in an action game ever

I think there is a bit of a steep initial learning curve because there is so much going on and so much to manage - controlling a legion and fighting/dodging simultaneously can feel a bit like patting your head and circles on your tummy at the same time at first. You get the hang of it though. I just reached File 10 and I think I died some maybe around where you are now, but File 09 may have been the first time I needed to use extra lives in the last 5 files. You get the hang of controls and as long as you are leveling up at the beginning of each level and upgrading and maintaining your legion, stocking plenty of meds, etc. you should be fine. You just have to practice and get used to it. I hear the last boss is really challenging though.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
so I have to left red cases left for s+ rank. I need some advice for those:
File09: How do you get points in the motorbike section?
File10: I think I'm missing something here. how do you get s+ here since you fight in resonance?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these missions in File 12 really show you that you HAVE to utilize the arsenal you have. Stuff like chain jumping across multiple enemies, using Legion skills, using all your Legions, binds, micromanaging your Legion, etc. It's really impressive and I wonder if playing the main game on Pt. Expert feels this same way.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Holy fucking shit!

I had no idea that the holographic door one of the witnesses mentions as a clue in File 03 was an actual thing you can find in every location!!!! I thought it was just a reference to Max's Safehouse.

Just stumbled upon it on YouTube.

How do you even identify them? IRIS? Do I have to go bumping into every single closed door from now on?

Yeah I'm gonna double down on what I said about this game's exploration. Here I am, finding out about a whole different class of secrets over forty hours into the game.

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Holy fucking shit!

I had no idea that the holographic door one of the witnesses mentions as a clue in File 03 was an actual thing you can find in every location!!!! I thought it was just a reference to Max's Safehouse.

Just stumbled upon it on YouTube.

How do you even identify them? IRIS? Do I have to go bumping into every single closed door from now on?

Yeah I'm gonna double down on what I said about this game's exploration. Here I am, finding out about a whole different class of secrets over forty hours into the game.
Are those the hidden Hermit hideouts they mention in the achievements? I found one in later in the game, but that was pretty obvious a guy even gave me directions

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Are those the hidden Hermit hideouts they mention in the achievements? I found one in later in the game, but that was pretty obvious a guy even gave me directions
Yeah, those.

The only time an NPC spoke to me about one of those doors was when you solve that logic puzzle with the kids. It's possible that I didn't pay enough attention, but I don't recall any directions.

Edit: oh btw a a tip for those unaware. If you find it annoying to have to crouch to go under shutters and stuff, you can instead do a dash attack (attack while sprinting) to slide under it like a total badass with sparks and everything.

Last edited:

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Some of these missions in File 12 really show you that you HAVE to utilize the arsenal you have. Stuff like chain jumping across multiple enemies, using Legion skills, using all your Legions, binds, micromanaging your Legion, etc. It's really impressive and I wonder if playing the main game on Pt. Expert feels this same way.

File 12 gave me hell lol, I have done 70/71 cases, just need to get lappy costume to unlock the last one. Specifically R3-B3 was by far the hardest fight on the game.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, those.

The only time an NPC spoke to me about one of those doors was when you solve that logic puzzle with the kids. It's possible that I didn't pay enough attention, but I don't recall any directions.

Edit: oh btw a a tip for those unaware. If you find it annoying to have to crouch to go under shutters and stuff, you can instead do a dash attack (attack while sprinting) to slide under it like a total badass with sparks and everything.
Yes I just found that same one too cause I'm replaying File 03. They were selling some expensive stuff.

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
so I have to left red cases left for s+ rank. I need some advice for those:
File09: How do you get points in the motorbike section?
File10: I think I'm missing something here. how do you get s+ here since you fight in resonance?
I got bad rankings on these ones too lol. I think for the fusion, there's also another faraway move possible with L&ZR at the same time. I saw a video of a person who did this and ended with S+ rank. I'm not sure about file 9 though, you can pull out your legion but they can't use any fancy moves. If anything, getting no damage will give 10000 points but that's too difficult for me.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Nope, the one I struggled with was the
Cat Holomask
I kept landing on the lower pipe for that one! That also took multiple tries and a couple of medicines to patch me up
This is the first I've heard of either of these items.

The fuck.

I said this before, but I wish the game would tell me how many chests and items are in each section of each chapter. It would make trying to find everything a LOT more fun.

I did find all the hidden dig items, because, well, those are easy. You just have to keep leading the beast legion around with you and you'll find them if you're anywhere nearby.

Last edited: