• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
My goodness the file 12 boss.
This is nuts. 2 separate OHKO attacks. You need to have your timing 100% on point with your approaches or else you just get destroyed with one touch in about half a second

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
A couple of quick questions:

- After you summon your Legion, do you have to keep pressing ZL constantly so it attacks (like the ZR combos with your X-baton) or does it fight automatically?

- Can you set which enemies your Legion attacks? Like, same/different locked monster, near chimeras or the ones farthest from you, etc.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

- After you summon your Legion, do you have to keep pressing ZL constantly so it attacks (like the ZR combos with your X-baton) or does it fight automatically?

- Can you set which enemies your Legion attacks? Like, same/different locked monster, near chimeras or the ones farthest from you, etc.
I can't answer the second question, but the Legion fights automatically. You only need to press ZL to summon the Legion, use its skills, or send it toward enemies, as far as I know.

Anyway, are we supposed to sell everything in the "Salvage" category?

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017

Legions auto-attack, and will attack whatever you are attacking.

I can't answer the second question, but the Legion fights automatically. You only need to press ZL to summon the Legion, use its skills, or send it toward enemies, as far as I know.

Anyway, are we supposed to sell everything in the "Salvage" category?
Yes, everything in the "Salvage" category exists to be sold, with the exception of the cat food, which you can actually use to feed the cats.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Noob question: I already did some of the challenges in File 12. I want to replay the others files to s+ them. Will the challenges I've completed in file 12 reset if i decide to do another file without finishing 12 in its entirety first?

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Got a question. Endgame/file 12 spoilers.
Is it worth it to finish file 12 or is it disappointing? Because I just got my ass kicked.

jothne

Jun 20, 2019
Japan
Once you've watched the epilogue and talked to people around the station, the only things you get from File 12 are cosmetic unlockables and bragging rights. There's no further story content or anything like that.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
File 12 is worth finishing for the pride alone. Holy hell is case 70 hard. The openings to attack are so small and you have to react immediately or you will get one shotted. Guaranteed.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
But the worst thing about the game by far is the aiming camera. Every time I ran into a situation where I had to pull off a directional slash with the Sword on short notice, I groaned. Every single instance of this was horrid. It's fidgety enough already without moving targets or time pressure, and with all that, it's unbearable.

Part of this is that I'm a bit of a motion-aiming purist who hates dual analogue and hasn't had to deal with significant stick-based aiming since the GameCube, because I go out of my way to avoid it. Gyro aiming is the most elegant solution for one of these problems (the targeting; it doesn't solve the other problem, the direction of the sword slash, which feels like it was designed for the control scheme of Skyward Sword, and probably would have felt amazing if it did in fact play like Skyward Sword).

And the thing is, Astral Chain actually does have a motion assist—which was the only thing that made the Arrow target shooting bearable for me, and indeed very useful for some long-range snipes in fights—but no sensitivity setting.

I play with a sensitivity of +4 in Splatoon 2. Astral Chain's aiming feels like a -4, and so far as I can tell, you can't do anything about it. You could be forgiven for not even realizing gyro support is in the game apart from the box-stack minigames (again an idea grafted from Skyward Sword), because it's so bloody slow. There is, in consequence, no good snap-aiming solution to the directional slashes, yet plenty of mechanics that force you to pull it off quickly. (And one of the reasons I'll never push for chapter-wide S+ ranks is that there is absolutely no way I'll ever pull that off in the Arrow target-shooting minigames.) It's a mismatch of what the game demands and what the controls are suited to do.

I think it's all so bewildering to me because there have been so many control innovations over time—Skyward Sword, the Switch port of Okami HD, and indeed the dual drawing system of W101 (where I always did prefer the tablet over the stick for certain motions like drawing loops around NPCs, which is exactly what you do in this game)—that felt like they would have better accommodated what Astral Chain is trying to do. And a simple gyro sensitivity setting would go so far towards addressing this.

I played the whole game on the Pro Controller, too, so it's not like the tight movement range or notorious drift of the Joy-Con sticks were the problem here. The problem is all in the interface design: there's just way too much going on with the sticks. Too much stick-aiming. Too much stick-clicking. Too much that you can't pull off accurately unless your left-stick movement stops dead.

Ah, see, now you're the one who saved me time in turn by posting this about the aiming!

It's interesting, though- we had the opposite reaction to the same problem, apparently! I don't quite hate analog aiming by any means, but I do enjoy good motion control aiming quite a bit. Love it in Splatoon, it's felt cool for the bit of Daemon x Machina I've played so far, and so on.

The thing is, here I found myself wishing it wasn't in the game? It's funny that you say someone could not even notice there's gyro support, because I think that would be impossible- I sure noticed it every single time I was using a stance! See, while you got your motion aiming messed up by how much they wanted you to use the stick, what actually happened for me was that my stick aiming was constantly pushed ever so slightly off by the motion controls. I'd line up a shot, and then the slightest tilt would suddenly mess everything up; it was even worse for the sword's line at times. I was playing in handheld 99% of the time (as I usually do for the Switch- that or with split joycons with the screen propped up, but I've done handheld more in the past year or so I feel) so it wasn't exactly easy to try to balance it out either. Especially given that I had no idea how it was interpreting the movement to begin with!

I think if I had the choice I'd actually still just use stick movement here, so personally/selfishly just a way to turn the motion off would have been enough for me if they didn't want to add full sensitivity settings. But as is, nobody really seems to benefit from this weird mix.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
In order to achieve an S+ on a file, do
I have to get all high scores during a single time through, or can I get S+ ranks on each section over several attempts?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
In order to achieve an S+ on a file, do
I have to get all high scores during a single time through, or can I get S+ ranks on each section over several attempts?

Several attempts, thankfully. It always saves the best rank you've gotten for each individual red case. And you only need to get the case ranking before you can safely quit to the file's results; no need to wait till the end of the section/file afterwards. Same goes for any items you've missed and such.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think I ran into a glitch in File 08.

I went into a tunnel, and Akira comments on a random civilian's presence before they walk away. After following the civilian, we find that they vanished, and Shizu comes and asks me to recreate a photograph. I leave to do that. However, when I return to the tunnel, I see the random civilian again, but this time I can't approach them. There's an invisible wall that doesn't seem intentional since the usual orange barrier is absent. I can send my Legion past the barrier, but I can't physically pass. It's as if the game is waiting for Akira to make the comment again, but she doesn't since she already did it once.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the game and my time with it, there is a lot of potential for a sequel here. I kinda need to know what the deal with the chimeras is.

Also, everyone is totally alive (Jena, Max, the boss). We'll see.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished File 09 and 10 tonight. These set pieces and plot developments are really fun to me.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Several attempts, thankfully. It always saves the best rank you've gotten for each individual red case. And you only need to get the case ranking before you can safely quit to the file's results; no need to wait till the end of the section/file afterwards. Same goes for any items you've missed and such.
Does that mean I can replay any File section to complete the red/blue cases and/or items I missed, then quit before even completing the section and the cases/items will be considered as completed on the results screen, or at least in the global progression?

I thought I'd have to basically play the whole game again to complete everything (and god, I liked File 03 but it was loooong) but if things work like this, that's a huge relief.

I also loved the fact that you can switch between male or female protagonist at almost any time by just replaying File 01(which is short and you don't even need to complete it to save the change).

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean I can replay any File section to complete the red/blue cases and/or items I missed, then quit before even completing the section and the cases/items will be considered as completed on the results screen, or at least in the global progression?

I thought I'd have to basically play the whole game again to complete everything (and god, I liked File 03 but it was loooong) but if things work like this, that's a huge relief.

I also loved the fact that you can switch between male or female protagonist at almost any time by just replaying File 01(which is short and you don't even need to complete it to save the change).

Yup, that's how it works!

As someone who did go back to do all of/get S+ in files 1-3 though, I would say you still shouldn't underestimate the amount of unskippable things in each section + how long it can take to get to each red case. And if you mess up one still, you gotta get to it again. So it can still be a big, tedious pain to replay a section. Just nowhere near as bad as it could be.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of file 11.
Did anyone else summon the ax legion for the final blow because it showed Max when it protects officer Howard in the previous cut scene, only to be greeted by that awesome scene with all 5 legions? No, just me? :p

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe someone can help me, im on file 6 after the stealth sections, on the forgotten rooftops. In the roof you fight a bunch of guys to save a cop theres a chest at the top of a cubicle that is impossible to reach from were it seems you can reach it jumping with your legion. Theres zero stairs and even less parts yo can get higher so you can fly there.

How do you get that chest because ive been 15 minutes looking everywhere and some time more looking on the internet and found nothing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd be smart and change the difficulty level at the start of the mission.

Turns out that resets the game back to the very beginning of the file, so yay now I get to deal with Lappy's tutorials again.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I asked the same question. Apparently after talking with people after it starts there's nothing besides a challenge and unlockables. No more story.

Yep, I searched through the internet and got to the same conclusion.
Guess this is the end for me then, I did the game on normal, also the first 3 cases in extreme but I know I won't be able to do all the cases, no reanimation is already hard enough, but the ramping up of the damages received made me "nope" out. Can't imagine being able to beat certain bosses like this.

I put around 50 hours into the game and really liked it, despite some flaws, the biggest one being this stupid camera. It took me time to get the gameplay but when it finally clicked it was awesome. Going from Ds to S+ ranks was really nice.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Please help!
At the end of the chapter where you meet Kyle, you get access to these files that give background on some of the story elements. I exited out of this screen before I could read them all and now I can't figure out how to see them. Did I miss out entirely? How do I access these files?

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Please help!
At the end of the chapter where you meet Kyle, you get access to these files that give background on some of the story elements. I exited out of this screen before I could read them all and now I can't figure out how to see them. Did I miss out entirely? How do I access these files?
Technically, those appear right at the beginning of Files. Use the file select on your PC to restart the chapter where they appear. I think it's File 07?

If you're in the middle of File 07, you can bounce to an earlier chapter and then bounce out to force a restart of File 07.

But you'll get another chance even in just the story to see them anyway. They show up again, with more entries added, in a later File.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Technically, those appear right at the beginning of Files. Use the file select on your PC to restart the chapter where they appear. I think it's File 07?

If you're in the middle of File 07, you can bounce to an earlier chapter and then bounce out to force a restart of File 07.

But you'll get another chance even in just the story to see them anyway. They show up again, with more entries added, in a later File.
Ah! I didn't try that because I thought it would override my save file. Thanks for the tips!

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, all.

The last boss is kicking my fucking ass and I am really just ready for it to end now.

Any tips?

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just on Chapter 8 now, enjoying the game a lot, but does anyone else have huge problems with camera control when manually sending legions away to collect redshift particles (with L1 moving the and the right stick), start an astral jump thing? Sometimes I think its seems like a problem with my Pro Controller's analogue sticks with the camera going everywhere but where I'm trying to aim it, but the when I dismiss the legion everything is fine. Its like.. the legion and the main character are locked into going in a certain direction for about 3 seconds even though I'm not pointing them that way.

Trying to figure out whether its just me being bad at the tethering chain manoeuvring, or if it could be a problem with my controller.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now I have finished, I will say that I really really liked this game.

The visual design is on point and the combat is satisfying and rewarding. The investigations and side missions were also fun.

However, I had to fight the camera so often that it wasn't fun sometimes. It really soured a lot of the game's better moments. The story sadly sucked. It opened with so much promise but then things happened for no real reason and by the end I didn't care any more.

Overall, it is a contender for GOTY alongside Cuphead.

Solid effort guys

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
To those having camera issues, are you using lock-on? I haven't used lock-on the whole game--no reason to when attack buttons are on the shoulder buttons--and haven't had issues with the camera. I noticed when i first started the game the lock on made the camera move around in a way that felt kind of disorienting and unnatural, so I just stopped using it.

I'm just on Chapter 8 now, enjoying the game a lot, but does anyone else have huge problems with camera control when manually sending legions away to collect redshift particles (with L1 moving the and the right stick), start an astral jump thing? Sometimes I think its seems like a problem with my Pro Controller's analogue sticks with the camera going everywhere but where I'm trying to aim it, but the when I dismiss the legion everything is fine. Its like.. the legion and the main character are locked into going in a certain direction for about 3 seconds even though I'm not pointing them that way.

Trying to figure out whether its just me being bad at the tethering chain manoeuvring, or if it could be a problem with my controller.
I don't have any issues controlling the legion. Did you equip that legion ability where holding ZL and flicking the right stick makes them dash?

Normally when you hold ZL the camera tries not to move, but will move to keep you and your legion both on screen. I don't know if it behaves differently if you're locked on.

Your character and legion getting locked into running a certain direction for a few seconds definitely sounds like your controller is losing connection to the Switch.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
To those having camera issues, are you using lock-on? I haven't used lock-on the whole game--no reason to when attack buttons are on the shoulder buttons--and haven't had issues with the camera. I noticed when i first started the game the lock on made the camera move around in a way that felt kind of disorienting and unnatural, so I just stopped using it.

I don't have any issues controlling the legion. Did you equip that legion ability where holding ZL and flicking the right stick makes them dash?

Normally when you hold ZL the camera tries not to move, but will move to keep you and your legion both on screen. I don't know if it behaves differently if you're locked on.

Your character and legion getting locked into running a certain direction for a few seconds definitely sounds like your controller is losing connection to the Switch.

No I don't have the sprint legion ability equipped. It does sound like the controller is losing connection, it's just very odd that it only seems to do it when I'm trying to guide my legion somewhere. I'll have to do some testing with my joycons I suppose to whittle down the problem. Thanks.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Yep, I searched through the internet and got to the same conclusion.
Guess this is the end for me then, I did the game on normal, also the first 3 cases in extreme but I know I won't be able to do all the cases, no reanimation is already hard enough, but the ramping up of the damages received made me "nope" out. Can't imagine being able to beat certain bosses like this.

I put around 50 hours into the game and really liked it, despite some flaws, the biggest one being this stupid camera. It took me time to get the gameplay but when it finally clicked it was awesome. Going from Ds to S+ ranks was really nice.

The challenges in file 12 are really great. They take a while to build up but once you get to the higher cases you need to use every tool you have.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I think the game is not for me. It feels really repetitive for me and I am only in File 05. I like the story, artstyle, general atmosphere and music but the investigations are mostly boring and too lengthy, the combat is too chaotic for my taste (not only because of the cam) and I really dislike the samey design of the dimensional gate sections. Subquests are boring too go here, do that. But I force myself to do it because I don't want to miss the rewards.

All in all pretty disappointing title from Platinum (and I adore Bayonetta). Feels like they should have taken more time to bring some more variety.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that I'm still kind of thinking about alternate routes they could have taken with the same plot setup. Like even the pseudo SEELE meeting (which is such a characteristic 'nothing' scene) could have been salvaged if
they were three co-conspirators on the same level but with radically different ideas to save humanity, concealing their identities for external security; however one of them would have been killed and replaced by Jena shortly before the story begins. Each would use a different codename referring to Platinum's previous work (Minuano for MGR, Sapientia for Bayonetta and Hegel for Nier Automata) - reinforcing the fact that they couldn't even work together long enough to decide on one naming scheme (winds, cardinal virtues or philosophers). Jena would be pushing her homunculus plot in place of the scientist she replaced, the other individual would be going for Instrumentality, and Calvert would be trying to back the one with the best chance of success. The final thing that would save the scene would be Calvert letting the main character listen in on the three of them arguing unbeknownst to the other two, to introduce them to a part of what's going on behind the scenes and potentially pointing to a more complex set of character relations the rest of the story could have done something with.

Finally, to go along with the concept touched on about
the Astral Plane archiving Earth, it'd be an effective later revelation if it turned out the rest of the Earth was already entirely gone and absorbed into the Astral Plane, not just infested, and the Ark was physically all that remained, floating alone. In that case, Jena's homunculi might even have been intended to serve a terraforming role.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
This chest in File 06:

Is it only accessible with the Chain Boost +5.0m ability? It's driving me nuts cause the drops are random and I don't have that ability. It's a pretty big design flaw, IMO.

Last edited:

ryan-ts

Oct 25, 2017
did anyone else get a glitched Noah prime? He just sat there taking hits until I got him down to just less than half his health. Now I'm looking at an empty background where I think a cutscene or event is supposed to trigger.

Weird

Last edited:

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
No matter how much you love dq11 you always miss some live action every once in a while I get the urge to beat the fuck out of digimon demons.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished File 05 last night. Loving this game! I feel like its going to spoil me on every 3rd person action game in the future. AC's combat is so much fun, I feel like its going to be a long time before something else comes along and I enjoy it more than this.