• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
My brother fucking loved nier automata. Wish I could buy him a switch for this. He would be so happy

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love pretty much everything they've shown so far during the two Treehouse segments. As much as I am a sucker for PlatinumGames combat, I wish Nintendo would emphasize the RPG/exploration aspects more in their marketing. I wonder who feasible it'd be for them to release a demo where you get to spend time in a part of the city area...

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I... erm. It's doesn't look bad by all means, but if I didn't already know it was by P* and you told me, I'd be surprised. It looks really slow paced and overloaded with repeating same exact cinematic finisher after pressing designated QTE button.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have been hype since the very first trailer, heck my Discord name is Astral Badass.

It looks phenomenal and I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It... doesn't look like anything special to me...

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is so promising...I hope this becomes another Platinum hit.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It looked great to me from the very start, my favourite reveal from the February Direct. Haven't watched the second Treehouse segment, but I don't need to, really: I know I will be buying this come August 30th! It appeals to me more than for example Bayonetta or Nier: Automata from the looks of it, and I loved playing Bayonetta 1 + 2 last year!

faced

Dec 17, 2017
It looks pretty great, as expected of a Platinum action game. However hype has slightly died down after playing through DMC5 this year - It felt like it really took the genre forward in some ways while AC looks like a refinement of the Bayonetta style

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I have to imagine the low hype in here has to do with the platform. To me this is the greatest thing in the world but I'll never play it. I imagine a lot of action game fans would rather not even put themselves through this pain, lmao.
Don't worry, we switch users most certainly want Action/RPG stuff.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
i wish nier automata played a bit more like this.

All of these gifs are given a new light once you consider the unchain mechanic. For those who missed the 2nd treehouse segment, you can get an upgrade that allows you to unchain yourself from a legion thats performing an attack and summon a new one. So during this gif, you could theoretically switch while the armor is doing the rising spin and set up an an aerial finisher with the sword or maybe set up that special screen wide slash where angle the cut.

Similar to the quick weapon switch mechanic in The Wonderful 101. They need to release a demo.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
looks stunning but I still can't say if it's 30 FPS or 60. is there an answer?
It's 30. The stream is 60fps, and games like Zelda do show that the capture equipment is capabble of providing the stream with 60fps footage, but everything we've seen of astral chain is 30fps. It's pretty obvious just looking at it in motion but if you want to conform for yourself, pause the video and scrub through frame-by-frame by using the '<' and '>' keys. You will see that the game only updates every second frame.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
This does look more interesting to me than it did during its announcement trailer. I had thought of Stands when they were first showing and explaining Legions, normal people not being able to see them reinforced that.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When it was announced I thought was just anther PG action game. Which isn't a bad thing, but after the Treehouse....

HOLY CRAP.

You're a freaking policeman that has to resolve cases using interdimensional beings while the world crumbles to the war against this beings?

Give.
It.
To.
Me.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It looks pretty great, as expected of a Platinum action game. However hype has slightly died down after playing through DMC5 this year - It felt like it really took the genre forward in some ways while AC looks like a refinement of the Bayonetta style

I wouldn't necessarily think of Astral Chain as a pure action game like DMC or Bayonetta. It seems to have a much bigger emphasis on exploration and light RPG elements with the explorable city (hub?) and side quests. Looks closer to something like Nier Automata, which isn't really surprising.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't really sold on the game and I'm still not sure if I am. The boss fight from the Treehouse Day 2 presentation looked cool but not sure if it's enough.
I might wait for a sale. There are just too many good games coming out between the rest of the year and early 2020...

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Looks right up my alley. Always wanted an action game with tethered ally. Sandwich combos are the best combos.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I agree with you. This looks better than Nier Automata to me! Granted it is not 60 fps, but I think the graphics and object density is better. Automata is of course cleaner / better IQ
Exactly. I'm predominantly an X/Pro/2080TI gamer, so my Switch is literally just used for indies on the go because: graphics. That's not to say games on Switch don't/can't look good - Nintendo's games look beautiful. But I don't like playing big games on a little screen, and unfortunately the low resolution of Switch looks awful when blown up to 55" on an OLED. But that's just me. I'm used to 4K these days and it's the same problem I had trying to play on a Wii after being used to 720p on a Xbox 360 for a year, it wasn't pleasant.

HOWEVER, this game looks so fucking good that I don't give a shit about any of that. It looks absolutely stunning. I'd never have believed it was a Switch title if it wasn't for that fact that it actually is. I'm totally playing this day one and on my OLED no less. I can't wait. I just can't stop watching the gameplay footage.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay looks interesting but I honestly don't care for how it looks visually. The art style is unique I give it that, but it is a little too sensory overload for me, and quite a bit of visual clutter and contrast.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
So many day 1 games for me. Can't wait for this one. After the direct in february I was like 'yeah maybe'. It looks awesome. Can't wait!

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
The only thing that I may end up disliking is the RPG mechanics (subquests, exploration) since those absolutely sucked in Nier. But the combat, music, presentation... holy shit.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The game looks far better than Nier Automata, this is strange considering the Switch hardware, but this time they tried to make the game world look as good as the characters or at least witht the same consistent artstyle.

I'm happy that Nintendo keeps financing Platinum's own ideas, when the studio does their own thing they always create really good games with unique settings and great gameplay.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily think of Astral Chain as a pure action game like DMC or Bayonetta. It seems to have a much bigger emphasis on exploration and light RPG elements with the explorable city (hub?) and side quests. Looks closer to something like Nier Automata, which isn't really surprising.
Oh Cool! I didn't know that, all the gameplay I've seen has been mostly Combat stuff. So I guess it's Nier Automata with better combat, not DMC with Jojo's Stands.

That actually makes me excited again, it occupies a different space than a pure action game while still having the type of combat I like.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Shieeet.
I just realised that V (DMCV) should be doing stuff like this.
Platinum!

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh Cool! I didn't know that, all the gameplay I've seen has been mostly Combat stuff. So I guess it's Nier Automata with better combat, not DMC with Jojo's Stands.

That actually makes me excited again, it occupies a different space than a pure action game while still having the type of combat I like.

If you're interested and have time, I recommend you watch the Treehouse segments on it. Especially part 2 goes into those adventure/RPG aspects a bit more:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This hasn't been playable at E3 for anyone? Where are the media previews? I'm surprised nobody got to play it behind doors.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks, the game looks fucking awesome

Gameplay looks interesting but I honestly don't care for how it looks visually. The art style is unique I give it that, but it is a little too sensory overload for me, and quite a bit of visual clutter and contrast.

I agree with this, though. It's giving me the exact same vibes Monster Hunter World did - it's just too goddamn busy and noisy and simplifying things a bit would make for a much nicer look. That said, I got used to MHW's art style in a couple of hours so there's really no doubt the same will happen with AC.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I love pretty much everything they've shown so far during the two Treehouse segments. As much as I am a sucker for PlatinumGames combat, I wish Nintendo would emphasize the RPG/exploration aspects more in their marketing. I wonder who feasible it'd be for them to release a demo where you get to spend time in a part of the city area...
Edit : You mean in the trailers ?
I guess it could be more obvious.
Maybe they wanted to show that specifically in the Treehouse.
I agree it would have been nice in the second trailer, in the E3 N Direct.