• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Some interesting stuff in the game's press screens. The Ark looks pretty huge!

ZfBHXcp.jpg

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, watch this bit from the Gamespot stage show today, the guy does a great job explaining the intricacies of the combat system and it's depth:

(timestamped 2h37m)

I was bummed that they were going through the same 2nd demo from treehouse at first but the guy demoing does a great job explaining the game and he worked on W101 and clearly knows his shit

When i think i can't get more hyped i see a better demo and omg the wait until the end of August is gonna be soooo long

Funny Face

Dec 5, 2017
Having watched both Treehouse videos, I'm pretty intrigued. My biggest concern is that I have no experience with these types of games, so a lot of the depth is lost on me. What already released game (e.g., Bayonetta) would be the best jumping in point for a novice? I have the following systems: XBox 360, Wii U, Wii, and 2DS (throwing the last two in just in case). Thanks!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having watched both Treehouse videos, I'm pretty intrigued. My biggest concern is that I have no experience with these types of games, so a lot of the depth is lost on me. What already released game (e.g., Bayonetta) would be the best jumping in point for a novice? I have the following systems: XBox 360, Wii U, Wii, and 2DS (throwing the last two in just in case). Thanks!
Bayonetta 2. it's easier to get into than Bayonetta 1 (and the better game because of it, in my opinion). Taura didn't work on that game, but there are similarities in Platinum's combat design.

there's also Metal Gear Revengence, which Taura did work on, there's even the cutting element in Astral Chain from MGR

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

People build up these games too much based on what you can do on the high end, I think outside of a few outliers most of them are really friendly to new players. Especially a game like Bayonetta which is totally doable without memorizing combos or anything and will be a flashy, fun experience for anyone.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This looks fucking fantastic.

My only criticism is the character design of the girl. There is absolutely no reason in this world why she has to wear short shorts while the guy is wearing pants.

Unless he can also wear them and she has the long pants option.

I mean i know why because animu and waifu. Still cringey.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
Make some gif because why not?
CWUzNP.gif
Li2toH.gif
DDVQ2g.gif
j-XTh6.gif
lyOTqf.gif
h4fP4l.gif
EWUs6m.gif
uH0JQQ.gif
wANIy_.gif
and more here

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the game used to be a fantasy game with magic but was changed to cyberpunk in order to stand out. also takes inspiration from Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed

In the past few years, cyberpunk has become trendy again.
First off, I should start by saying that we didn't start working on Astral Chainthinking we'd make a cyberpunk game. We were actually trying to make a fantasy game where you would use magic.

What you see now is the result of talking a lot with Nintendo along through the development process, because we realized that there were lots of other games set in a fantasy setting. We wanted to make Astral Chain stand out among other games. And that's what you see now.

So it evolved from fantasy to cyberpunk?

Yeah, that's right.

While we were making it, actually, I was influenced by a lot of different anime that I liked. For example, Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed. And we used designs like that as a motif to build the setting that you see before you now.

www.polygon.com

Cyberpunk Switch exclusive Astral Chain started as a fantasy game

We speak with director Takahisa Taura about the promising Nintendo Switch exclusive

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel this games needs a demo before release. Would help sell me on the game. I think W101 got a pre-release demo on Wii U.

But did that help the W101 any much? No
Game demos tend to hurt more sales these days I feel especially for niche games that people are already hesitant to take the plunge on. Cause in point, my buddy liked the Bayonetta 2 demo but he sure never bought it cause he got a taste of the game via the demo

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's at least a rock-solid 30FPS. It's not the end of the world (we all enjoyed Vanquish for years at sub-30, and The Wonderful 101 is still incredible when it drops to like 10FPS), but it's a real shame to have a new, awesome-looking Platinum combat system at 30FPS with no prospect of an upgrade until Switch emulation gets off the ground.

How did action games even exist before 60fps?

(I'm day one on this)

60FPS existed long before action games did :P

Last edited:

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the cancellation of Scalebound and Fable had some influence on those discussions.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully it's at least a rock-solid 30FPS. It's not the end of the world (we all enjoyed Vanquish for years at sub-30, and The Wonderful 101 is still incredible when it drops to like 10FPS), but it's a real shame to have a new, awesome-looking Platinum combat system at 30FPS with no prospect of an upgrade until Switch emulation gets off the ground.

It's too bad if the game isn't 60, but it is what it is at this point. I would take a 720p 60 fps mode in TV mode option even, but we all know Nintendo isn't about giving options like that.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

omg everyone it's a dumb joke :P

Oct 25, 2017
canada
oh man that police question/and answer is...

Since its translated it could also mean other things or things lost in translation. he'd enjoy it if people had a better idea of what police should be and worked towards creating that reality?

How many dirty cops are romanticized in media? Having good wholesome police might help.. tho probs not from a niche game 😂

But also, idk what the best answer to that question would be on the spot especially for someone maybe completely in the dark about American policing.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Game demos tend to hurt more sales these days I feel especially for niche games that people are already hesitant to take the plunge on. Cause in point, my buddy liked the Bayonetta 2 demo but he sure never bought it cause he got a taste of the game via the demo

I think W101's demo probably hurt the game more than helped, it just threw people into it without really showing you how to play and that game is not like a standard action game at all. If people just get frustrated with it and put it down rather than learn it organically and invest in it if they had bought it already then the demo isn't really going to do the game a service.

Dec 23, 2017
Well it helped sell me on the game. I guess we will we.

OP
OP
Chaos17

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
I think W101's demo probably hurt the game more than helped, it just threw people into it without really showing you how to play and that game is not like a standard action game at all. If people just get frustrated with it and put it down rather than learn it organically and invest in it if they had bought it already then the demo isn't really going to do the game a service.
Wonderfull 101 demo was bad because it threw the player kinda in the middle of the game without any tutorials available or explanation of the setting.
I don't know who had that "great" idea but I hope he learned his lesson or got fired.
I am not even talking about the lack of marketting from Nintendo...

Thank god since then we have Tree House now.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Game also looks too nice to be 60fps imo

Also look at the Yoshi demo, that turned a lot of people off even though it was just the first level of the game and essentially a tutorial.