• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, looks like this was a lot of ruffled feathers over a misunderstanding then.

Cool to see they have future ideas, but part of me is glad that this seems to be getting a complete story now.

Yeah, it wasn't good PR for the game in general so they had to clear it up asap.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Well if he has enough ideas for a trilogy and beyond then he needs to make all those games simultaneously and release them next year. Hurry up, gamers are waiting

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah. Breath of the Wild 2 is the perfect recent example of this. The game pretty much solely exists because of how BotW is the best-selling Zelda game. Had the game sold similar to Skyward Sword, I doubt we'd get a full-fledged sequel to it, and might have just gotten more DLC.

Yes Aonuma says BotW2 is because they had so many DLC ideas, but you can bet the only reason Nintendo said "oh yes!" is because of the sales of the original. Without those sales, they probably would have told Aonuma to work on the next world/setting/iteration of the franchise.
Its not only sales they can also reuse art/graphics assets and get a sequel out relatively quickly, getting benefit from using the same engine again on Switch and BotW being the huge success it was made the decision very easy

Think like FFXIII-2 but better

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

"The article says we're making Astral Chain as part one of a trilogy, but that's not true. What I told the interviewer is just that I have so many different ideas that I could go even beyond a trilogy."

"Since it was an overseas interview, what I said got translated into English to the interviewer, and then translated yet again before publication... It's like a game of Telephone. That makes it really hard to get your intent across sometimes..."
So what most reasonable people assumed he meant then

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the game.
Yeah, classic PG combat engine with some cool new stuff like the several rope shenanigans, using your legion to pull you to get closer to an enemy/for traversal and the legions special abilities (riding the dog/blocking with the long sword/equiping as an armor the mech one/etc) mixed in with a side of rpg/adventure?

I'm so fucking down for this.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
In an alternate universe, Mass Effect was just announced for the first time at this past E3, openly stating they want the series to be a trilogy. And Era would consider it the spawn of Satan.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I used to write articles about japanese news and I was working very hard to make sure what I said was accurate as much as possible and always corrected very fast and/or said if a specific part was unclear.
Seems like throwing a fast google trad is enough for lots of websites. This or no research.
Y'all fooling yourselves if you actually go along with this "bad translation" line.

There wasn't anything wrong with what he said - hell, he isn't even saying anything different with the clear-up. People just took the word "trilogy" and blew it up into this fear-mongering that the game was being deliberately sold piecemeal and that it was going to do bad and that "the rest of the game" was going to be trapped in development hell.

At the most charitable I'd say that it's a sign of just how trigger-happy people have gotten with episodic releases, roadmaps, cult classics not being financially successful, etc. Any writer worth his salt is gonna have ideas spanning out to the event horizon but will still make sure a story stands on its own legs. Don't have blind faith but at least let the thing come out, jeez.
I completely agree with that.
As far as bad translations are ridiculous in that case (unprofessional really), there was nothing wrong with whichever "translation" chosen anyway.

If they wanted to make a trilogy, so what ?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
In an alternate universe, Mass Effect was just announced for the first time at this past E3, openly stating they want the series to be a trilogy. And Era would consider it the spawn of Satan.
I'm sure there are many people who would actually use ME as proof against what you're saying actually lol

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Not entirely on the topic of the trilogy that wasn't (didn't know where to ask this and this was as good a thread as any of the others), but can someone clarify to me if Astral Chain is more of a hack n slash game like Bayonetta with some non hack n slash elements, or is it an arpg, or something else? There's clearly fighting here, question is which kind.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
Not entirely on the topic of the trilogy that wasn't (didn't know where to ask this and this was as good a thread as any of the others), but can someone clarify to me if Astral Chain is more of a hack n slash game like Bayonetta with some non hack n slash elements, or is it an arpg, or something else? There's clearly battles here, question is which kind.
Infos and videos are available here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/as...-trailers-fact-sheet-august-30th-2019.122567/

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few days ago I got banned for posting this post,

Wait, what? I remember those threads and no it didn't bode well at all. There was a mod I wanted to curse out. All those threads ended up being hijacked and made about Pyra's design instead of it kept on topic. I hope none of Astral Chain threads turns into Xenoblade 2 pre launch threads.

I wanted to apologize for it. It was poorly worded and didn't get across what I wanted to get across.

I have nothing else to say other then have a good night and rest of your weekend.