• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

google translation:
Can we expect extra content after release?

Takahisa Taura (director): "There are currently no plans to release extras for Astral Chain. This is different for the game's story. We make the game a trilogy and this is the first part of that trilogy. If this game sells well, then we may see how the story of the series continues. "

EDIT:

"The article says we're making Astral Chain as part one of a trilogy, but that's not true. What I told the interviewer is just that I have so many different ideas that I could go even beyond a trilogy."

"Since it was an overseas interview, what I said got translated into English to the interviewer, and then translated yet again before publication... It's like a game of Telephone. That makes it really hard to get your intent across sometimes..."

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Well then, I hope Astral Chain sells really well, at the very least better than Bayonetta.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if Nintendo co-owns the IP like TW101? I suspect this'll have a stronger performance by Platinum standards.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully then the first one will have self-contained story and not end on a shitty cliffhanger.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Something tells me that Nintendo and PG have quite realistic expectations about this one.
Would love to see this evolve into something bigger over time.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Already pre-ordered! With GCU I can always resell it at little to no loss if I don't end up liking it

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It would be dope if the first game ends with the destruction of the Police Force and the setting gets more and more doomsday apocalypse.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is the Wonderful 101 an origin story or a prequel?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
"We're going to make this a triology but not sure if we're gonna be making a triology"?

I just hope it's written as three stand alones within a bigger story because I've had way too many TV shows being canceled with open endings.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It looks outstanding, so hopefully Switch owners invest in what is at least apparently a high value exclusive. And if it tanks, I hope deals are negotiated to see the title released elsewhere.

I still don't forgive Wii U owners for The Wonderful 101.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Wait what ?! Wasn't expecting that !!! Great !
Nintendo paid the bill for Bayonetta 2 & 3 when no one else wanted to.
It's definitely possible that this'll happen.
Remember that this is a PlatinumGames AND Nintendo IP.
Nintendo are aware of this plan of doing a trilogy, they are also aware that this will sell even less than, say, Xenoblade and stuff like that.
I think it's definitely possible we'll get the trilogy, especially if Astral Chain is a ~80-90 MC score.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks outstanding, so hopefully Switch owners invest in what is at least apparently a high value exclusive. And if it tanks, I hope deals are negotiated to see the title released elsewhere.

I still don't forgive Wii U owners for The Wonderful 101.
Nintendo isn't making deals to put their ip on other systems dude.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was at 0 hype for this until I saw the gameplay trailer during the Nintendo Direct, I'm hyped. It looks amazing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i doubt it's gonna end on a cliff hanger. i think it'll be like bayonetta, a self-contained story leaving some room for a potential sequel.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
We have to see if the story is any good first, which is... Not very likely for Platinum.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"We're going to make this a triology but not sure if we're gonna be making a triology"?
There's probably some elements lost in translation but I'm pretty sure they just mean that they envision the series as a trilogy. I suspect that doesn't mean they can guarantee its development, iirc Bayonetta was also planned as a franchise before Nintendo had to save it from limbo, but that too was perfectly fine just as a self contained game. Presumably they just mean here that they wanna do more Astral Chain games.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it will sell a huge amount of copies, but it will probably cross the million if reviews are good. The game looks great and it has that Nier Automata like quality feel to it so I have high hopes for this one. Switch games sell well so I kind of doubt it will come anywhere close to bombing to be honest.