• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
"We're going to make this a triology but not sure if we're gonna be making a triology"?

I just hope it's written as three stand alones within a bigger story because I've had way too many TV shows being canceled with open endings.
2 part trilogy, probably. If the first game does well then they can assume 2 will do well, meaning they can tie the stories for 2 and 3 more closely together.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Some of you guys like to be 100% off the mark in a simple thread. Like comparing to old RPG, vaporware and whanot. Like they're postponing Bayo 3 to make this...
I mean, it's a super light topic here and in a few posts we already have the usual drama/reading comprehension/"hey look at me" post in force.

gamerz...

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
People who are saying they'll wait out a full trilogy has got to be insincere as fuck lol.

It's one thing to miss out things when it came out years ago but deciding to wait an indefinite amount of years for a full trilogy? Who does that?!

Just say you're not interested in the game to begin with.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Creator: "We hope this upcoming IP can have a multi-release run. Ideally, as a trilogy"

Gamer: "wtf is that a threat?!"

What the fuck lmao

For real. Some people just can't extricate themselves from a cynical pessimistic attitude. This IP has been getting a lot of praise, a lot of hype, gameplay looks amazing, and it's co-owned by Nintendo — yet suddenly when a creator talks about wanting to do more with it, suddenly it's doomed to failure, and consumers have a gun to their head.

Like, get a grip.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
NeglectedDistantIsabellineshrike-size_restricted.gif

To me the motorcycle segment is like the least exciting part of what they've shown, which speaks to how much awesome stuff there was on display.
It's a random event that can happen on your way to a mission, so yeah it's not a main feature but it shows that Plaitnium tried here to add some spice. I hope it will have more spices, like the hidden toilets, lol

Dec 23, 2017
I'm just not sold on the game from gameplay I have seen. If they don't drop a demo then I don't buy. With that being said I do hope it sells well. I mean when is the last time an outside developer has created a trilogy for a Nintendo console exclusively?

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing anything wrong with this? Sounds pretty good and I'm looking forward to the gameplay being further expanded in the subsequent games if they get made. I think they have a solid base with the world building and gameplay (from just what I've seen in trailers and gameplay footage) and it'd be a shame to be finished with the IP after one game. I'm sure this is a common thought a developer for a new IP frequently has and we just don't know about it 99% of the time.

On another note, can NA get a good collector's edition?? I'm just holding out my wallet here NoA.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Announcing its going to be a trilogy is a dumb move.
Only when people are not smart enough to differentiate between announcing a trilogy and having plans for a possible trilogy if its a successful IP.

Hmm, i think God of Norse War is not a good example for "Entry in trilogy yet standalone". There's some massive open strings with the game. In spoilers, just in case:

Two realms are locked
Odin's plan is still open and running
Thor appearing at the end of the game
Freya vowing revenge

Soooo. Yeah. The one plot, "get to that mountain" might be complete.
Maybe a bad example indeed but there are enough other games that standalone and dont need sequels to feel complete.

Also sorry but i always have to laugh when someone brings up the 2 locked realms. Of course they are there its a fucking destination map.

That would be like complaining a phone has the all numbers 0-9 on it in a game despite not using all of them. Duh

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just not sold on the game from gameplay I have seen. If they don't drop a demo then I don't buy. With that being said I do hope it sells well. I mean when is the last time an outside developer has created a trilogy for a Nintendo console exclusively?
Why does it matter "when an outside developer has created a Trilogy for a Nintendo console exclusively?"?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game will probably only need to sell a million copies to be considered a major success. I have every faith in it hitting that number if marketed correctly in Nintendo Direct's.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the story doesn't end with "to be continued" and the game does not do well for a sequel. I hate that with movies.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Probably gonna buy a pair of vouchers & use one of them on this. Looks so cool. I'll probably be terrible, but I'll try to get my brother to play with me co-op or something and struggle our way through together.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for the full trilogy, then

So have fun waiting 10 years+, it's not a FF 7 RE situation where 1 game is split into many parts.

This is not a good idea.

Why not? Good games that don't bomb often get sequels. If Taura has more ideas and likes the universe, it's only natural that he would like to make more Astral Chain games, if there is demand.

Ugh, I know that I can't count on you losers to buy this game.

I already paid for the Special Edition and i hope/think i'm not alone. Also the normal edition was sold out at Amazon.de pretty fast i do think it will find it's audience.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a bad example indeed but there are enough other games that standalone and dont need sequels to feel complete.

Also sorry but i always have to laugh when someone brings up the 2 locked realms. Of course they are there its a fucking destination map.

That would be like complaining a phone has the all numbers 0-9 on it in a game despite not using all of them. Duh

Eh, in a game where a good part of the progress is unlocking the different realms, it's absolutely some sort of "cliffhanger".
Especially if one realm is freaking Asgard!

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Do we know if Nintendo co-owns the IP like TW101? I suspect this'll have a stronger performance by Platinum standards.
I still think that Nintendo launched too little copies of TW101. It could have done better, even if it wasn't by a wide margin. The same seemed to happen with Pikmin 3, but at least they re-issued that one.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It's good to know that they're not planning any major post-launch content. I will pick this on launch. My time for gaming became too limited to revisit each game when they release a new content, so I tend to wait for a GOTY / Complete Edition of sorts. There are too many games with Season Passess, Expansion Passes and continuous updates these days.

Last edited:

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only gamers could see something like no post game paid content and complain about the devs's ambitions.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Wait what ?! Wasn't expecting that !!! Great !

Nintendo paid the bill for Bayonetta 2 & 3 when no one else wanted to.
It's definitely possible that this'll happen.
Remember that this is a PlatinumGames AND Nintendo IP.
Nintendo are aware of this plan of doing a trilogy, they are also aware that this will sell even less than, say, Xenoblade and stuff like that.
I think it's definitely possible we'll get the trilogy, especially if Astral Chain is a ~80-90 MC score.
Yeah i wouldn't despair yet lol
Review scores are very, very important for this title and they should be much higher than W101 or StarFox, around Bayonetta and Nier , that alone increases the chance of a trilogy.

Then, sales wise i think it will do ok, it has much more appeal than 101 and this is Platinum post Nier, maybe the fans are more willing to buy their games now on the popular Switch.
Only thing im worried is the release date, AC comes right between major Switch releases both first and third party , i think it should have been released sooner :^S

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
lmao what even is this post
Tbf Japanese publishers are known to do this but it's usually to make people buy an undesirable game just to maaaybe get the "real" one later on.

"Buy this full price ultra late port / lame ass spin-off nobody asked for, and maybe we'll give you the next mainline game. Probably not but you never know!"

Here this is a first-party game so the dev's comments can safely be taken at face value.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty interested in the setting and aesthetic of this game, but I've never enjoyed the gameplay of a Platinum Game.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i wouldn't despair yet lol
Review scores are very, very important for this title and they should be much higher than W101 or StarFox, around Bayonetta and Nier , that alone increases the chance of a trilogy.

Then, sales wise i think it will do ok, it has much more appeal than 101 and this is Platinum post Nier, maybe the fans are more willing to buy their games now on the popular Switch.
Only thing im worried is the release date, AC comes right between major Switch releases both first and third party , i think it should have been released sooner :^S

There's a whole month's gap between FE:3H and Astral Chain, it's not that bad. Releasing it before it was finished would also likely do more harm than good.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
There's a whole month's gap between FE:3H and Astral Chain, it's not that bad. Releasing it was finished would also likely do more harm than good.
yeah but i was thinking june instead of Maker would have been a better month, maybe early june
After Astral there is Daemon X Machina, Zelda, Witcher 3 and DQXI the same month

im still optimistic it can do fine though :^)

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I'm not going to cancel cause I really liked the treehouse gameplay... but I can't help but fear I won't get to see the end.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Tbf Japanese publishers are known to do this but it's usually to make people buy an undesirable game just to maaaybe get the "real" one later on.

"Buy this full price ultra late port / lame ass spin-off nobody asked for, and maybe we'll give you the next mainline game. Probably not but you never know!"

Here this is a first-party game so the dev's comments can safely be taken at face value.
"Buy this "undesirable" Astral Chain to get "desirable" Astral Chain 2"?

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah but i was thinking june instead of Maker would have been a better month, maybe early june
After Astral there is Daemon X Machina, Zelda, Witcher 3 and DQXI the same month

im still optimistic it can do fine though :^)

I'd say DxM is more of the one to suffer since it's a harder game to sell to the public and it's sharing September with two bigger games. Astral Chain is pretty much by itself for about two weeks.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Didn't Nintendo pull this with Chibi Robo?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Do you think you'll lose interest?

No, but I'm not sure how well this will sell and if the game is planned as a trilogy I know now that the storyline doesn't end with this game.

So if it doesn't sell well, I might not know the ending.

Kinda like I already made peace with ASOIAF books most likely never getting finished.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Astral Chain will do great.
Daemon x Machina on the other hand might flop considering that's coming out a week before Link's Awakening.