• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
not a great news honestly..

Imagine when Nintendo said this about Metroid Prime and gamers were like "oh so i have to buy three games?? how dare you Nintendo?"

Everything we saw of the game is amazing, it deserves more recognition, i'm extremely happy they're turning it into a series and not a single release.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but I'm not sure how well this will sell and if the game is planned as a trilogy I know now that the storyline doesn't end with this game.

So if it doesn't sell well, I might not know the ending.

Kinda like I already made peace with ASOIAF books most likely never getting finished.
Ok I get what you're saying now.

While I understand the frustration(where are you Viewtiful Joe 3?!?) I don't think that should stop us from enjoying.

Plus I honestly do think the game will do well enough to justify a sequel.

We still got Bayonetta 2 and 3 after all.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Announcing something to have sequel(s) before the game even comes out is always interest breaking for me.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I haven't really paid close attention to this aspect, but is this project funded by Nintendo in any significant way? I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible that we will see this pop up on steam in a year if it sells well on Switch.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
If the game comes out, is good, but bombs, and we don't get sequels, at least I'll have played a good game. Hard for me to get to wound up about not getting the whole trilogy. I can live with just having played a good game. Pretty good outcome all things considered.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Imagine when Nintendo said this about Metroid Prime and gamers were like "oh so i have to buy three games?? how dare you Nintendo?"

The game is great, and deserve more recognition, i'm extremely happy they're turning it into a series and not a single release.

sometimes I prefer something that remains somewhat unique, like the wonderful 101 or okami were.

also announcing the future plans is never a smart move.

still buying it d1 though.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the reactions here... How can he, talking about sequels if it sells. The horror.

Everything we saw of the game is amazing, it deserves more recognition, i'm extremely happy they're turning it into a series and not a single release.

Imagine Breath of the Wild getting a sequel if it sells. and looking at the "real" ending of the game Nintendo planned it all from the start.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really paid close attention to this aspect, but is this project funded by Nintendo in any significant way? I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible that we will see this pop up on steam in a year if it sells well on Switch.
it's Nintendo's IP. that's never happening

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for Astral Chain, but I don't know if I'm "3 games" excited. I quite enjoy seeing Platinum do different things often so I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Jul 24, 2018

The combat looks neat sure, but I can't say the same about the story or the dialogue so far.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly would have preferred not knowing they already planned sequels lol. But I guess I'll get it regardless.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it goes without saying that every franchise depends on selling copies. :P

Still it's cool to know they enjoy the property enough to already be thinking about future entries.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm excited for Astral Chain, but I don't know if I'm "3 games" excited. I quite enjoy seeing Platinum do different things often so I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Platinum needs/wants to make solid sequels too, besides Bayonetta everything they make is a new ip or a collaboration.sometimes they limit their creativity by making games with the same combat template to avoid risk.

Nier 3 is surely going to be a thing though.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
sometimes I prefer something that remains somewhat unique, like the wonderful 101 or okami were.

also announcing the future plans is never a smart move.

still buying it d1 though.

I can see that, although in this case we've to look from a broader perspective.

- We haven't seen that many new franchises funded or published Nintendo in the past 10 years: Splatoon, Xenoblade, and few others (smaller than these), it's always refreshing when they do this.

- It's rare to hear they want to build a franchise out of this, usually Platinum Games titles are one and done like those you mentioned.

- eShop doesn't have that many games in this genre, and they're not going to get many from other studios, so for variety sake, any game from Platinum is important.

The combat looks neat sure, but I can't say the same about the story or the dialogue so far.

We still don't know much of the story, but the premise is really cool, very reminiscent of Psycho-Pass.

Beyond the combat though and the innovation brought there, the investigation is also interesting, similar to L.A. Noire: find secrets, catch liars by interviewing them.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
That's good to hear. If they're already thinking about sequels, it tells me that there's more stuff that Platinum wants to explore in this IP (mechanically and/or narratively). That makes me a happy camper, since on its own, Astral Chain seems like it mashes up a bunch of good things from games that Takahisa Taura has worked on (aside from general influences from NieR: Automata, there's particular mechanics that feel inspired by stuff you could find in Transformers: Devastation and The Wonderful 101), which has certainly captured my interest. If the dev team is thinking beyond the stuff we've already seen, then it really makes me hope that the game sells well enough to get those sequels in production.

Dec 23, 2017
Why does it matter "when an outside developer has created a Trilogy for a Nintendo console exclusively?"?
I'm saying it doesn't happen often and I hope this sells well enough to make the 2nd game in the trilogy happen. I personally wish there wasn't exclusives and all third party game released on all major console like back in the day. The reality is though we don't live in that time anymore. The amount of publishers/devs that are looking the other way even though switch is selling amazingly and not supporting says a lot. I'm glad platinum is taking the console seriously and giving it the attention it deserves. Hope the game sells well and their plans continue.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I strongly believe the main reason Platinum's games don't sell that well is due to weak marketing. So if Nintendo is willing to shell out a bit more $$$ to reach a bigger audience, I'm sure it could also perform much better.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You know what they could really do to ensure people pay attention to Astral Chain?

Put the lead character in Smash.
Calling it. Astral Chain characters in Smash Bros.
Sakurai typically airs on the side of caution when it comes to new IPs (Pikmin had to wait until Brawl, Splatoon had to wait until Ultimate, ARMS will likely have to wait until the next Smash game), which I can easily see being the case here considering that Nintendo's previous new IP in cooperation with PlatinumGames bombed (that being The Wonderful 101.......it still stings, man). Considering that Astral Chain was an unproven, unannounced entity when the Fighters Pass was finalized, I wouldn't get your hopes up for Akira being DLC.

Of course, if Astral Chain succeeds, I can very easily see Akira being in the next Smash game.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018
I can see that, although in this case we've to look from a broader perspective.

- We haven't seen that many new franchises funded or published Nintendo in the past 10 years: Splatoon, Xenoblade, and few others (smaller than these), it's always refreshing when they do this.

- It's rare to hear they want to build a franchise out of this, usually Platinum Games titles are one and done like those you mentioned.

- eShop doesn't have that many games in this genre, and they're not going to get many from other studios, so for variety sake, any game from Platinum is important.

We still don't know much of the story, but the premise is really cool, very reminiscent of Psycho-Pass.

Beyond the combat though and the innovation brought there, the investigation is also interesting, similar to L.A. Noire: find secrets, catch liars by interviewing them.
I don't know, the art style looks generic to me, doesn't scream Psycho Pass, the jarring English dialogue in the trailer cetsinly didn't convince me. I'd like to see a game reminiscent of Psycho Pass' tone and writing in its first season though.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my sweet fuck it's like my dream of incorporating Bladewolf into Raiden's moveset, I love this game!

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love Platinum, I do not trust them on trilogies.

I mean where's my Viewtiful Joe 3?

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Almost every game with a significant budget is made with sequels in mind, at least hypothetically. They exist on whiteboards and budget spreadsheets, projecting out what the next few years will look like so the studio can plan accordingly. I'd rather more companies just say that upfront than pretending that's not exactly what's happening behind-the-scenes all the time.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying it doesn't happen often and I hope this sells well enough to make the 2nd game in the trilogy happen. I personally wish there wasn't exclusives and all third party game released on all major console like back in the day. The reality is though we don't live in that time anymore. The amount of publishers/devs that are looking the other way even though switch is selling amazingly and not supporting says a lot. I'm glad platinum is taking the console seriously and giving it the attention it deserves. Hope the game sells well and their plans continue.
I don't really see the issue. This is a joint effort between Nintendo and Platinum. It's not just a third party game. It's a first party game.

This isn't Street Fighter V exclusive to PS4 (with Sony's help)

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought the Wonderful 101 opening weekend, and Splatoon, and Arms. I put my money where my mouth is when I talk about wanting new Nintendo IPs

giphy.gif

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
So they're going to greenlight sequels on the basis of sales on a Platinum game? That seems...unwise.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Good lord at some of the overreactions in this thread.

"We're excited about this game, we'd like to make a whole series, and we have it all planned out. It depends how well the first game sells, though."

Seems, uh, pretty harmless and by the numbers. The idea that the first game won't have an ending is a total assumption and the idea that this is a "threat" is comically absurd.

If you're really not going to buy the game because it has some planned sequels...I just don't know what to say to that.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
No, but I'm not sure how well this will sell and if the game is planned as a trilogy I know now that the storyline doesn't end with this game.
We don't know this yet. It could have a narrative arc that ends with the first one, but they might have ideas for two other stories after that, a grander storyline that link all three stories they have in mind.
A trilogy doesn't mean that the first one will have a cliffhanger.

Like, a random exemple, the Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy for instance. The whole trilogy is about the relationship between Peter Parker and Harry Osborn, and Norman Osborn's legacy. It was created for it to be a trilogy.
But Spider-Man 1 is about Spider-Man vs Green Goblin, 2 is about Spider-Man trying to determine who he really is and his fight vs Doc Ock, and 3 is about his fight against his own demons.

I expect the same thing here. Astral Chain will tell its own story. Just like most stories. It's so rare when a film/game ends with cliffhanger.
It's how tv series and fantasy books work, not how films and games work.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This isn't episodic so I'm not seeing the issue. I'm reading it as the devs have ideas for sequels which is a great thing. Anyway, I'm buying this day 1. Game looks incredible.