• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017
I don't really see the issue. This is a joint effort between Nintendo and Platinum. It's not just a third party game. It's a first party game.

This isn't Street Fighter V exclusive to PS4 (with Sony's help)
Yes it is a joint effort either way though we aren't seeing those joint effort from other pubs or developers. I guess you can say Ubisoft maybe. Either way I hope it sells enough to continue their plans for the series.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still undecided on this game. Is this game story heavy or action heavy? I want to see how deep this game is. Right now I'm clamoring for another RPG I can dig into.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am still buying it, but as long as this first game ends satisfyingly and does not end on a huge cliffhanger I am good.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm still undecided on this game. Is this game story heavy or action heavy? I want to see how deep this game is. Right now I'm clamoring for another RPG I can dig into.
From everything I've watched the most similar game to it in recent years is probably Neir Automata. Many story scenes with light rpg systems and action packed heavy combo focused battles.
Even has motorcycle shooter stages like Automata's shmup levels to add some extra spice to the game play.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
So they're going to greenlight sequels on the basis of sales on a Platinum game? That seems...unwise.
Didn't stop Nintendo to fund Bayonetta 2 & 3. It's in order to add some niche and highly praised games to their line up.
Also they are best friend for ever with Kamiya.
They don't expect it to hit some big numbers.
But Nintendo have been doing a great job promoting the game so far, once Fire Emblem release, it'll probably be the big game they'll promote for the whole month of august.
It'll do fine, people are even more excited for it at each new video.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From everything I've watched the most similar game to it in recent years is probably Neir Automata. Many story scenes with light rpg systems and action packed heavy combo focused battles.
Even has motorcycle shooter stages like Automata's shmup levels to add some extra spice to the game play.

How long was Neir Automata?

Even though I have a PS4 I stopped playing it outside of the Trials of Cold Steel games coming to it in favor of always gaming on my Switch. I also never bought Neir because they kept teasing/trolling a Switch port a year or so back.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
How long was Neir Automata?

Even though I have a PS4 I stopped playing it outside of the Trials of Cold Steel games coming to it in favor of always gaming on my Switch. I also never bought Neir because they kept teasing/trolling a Switch port a year or so back.

I think it took me like 40-50 hours to fully complete Nier and get my fill, but I'm not expecting Astral Chain to be nearly as long. I'm basing that on absolutely nothing to be honest, but off the top of my head I'm thinking Astral Chain won't be as lengthy. I figure it'll be pretty substantial at least. We'll have to wait and see on that.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Hope the game sells well and reviews well. Will be interesting what they would do with sequels.

Hopefully Nintendo plans to have this under their series of games like Bayonetta has become. Gives them another exclusive action game.

Didn't realize planning for sequels is a bad thing...

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic news. And I am supremely skeptical that anyone claiming to not want to buy the game now because of this, was never going to buy it in the first place/are just trolls.

Just about every franchise has plans for further games. And any given entry in a series still has a complete story, especially first entries.

Think about the original Star Wars -- it still told a completely contained story, and only later expanded out. Just about all trilogies work like this. The one major exception is Lord of the Rings, but that was originally one big book, so that is why it is the way it is.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Wii U audience was a hell of alienated userbase, they didn't cared about nothing besides Nintendo's big IPs. It was a miracle that Splatoon and Xenoblade bloomed on it.
Splatoon not just bloomed, it got treated as a Nintendo ip up there with the best.

Honestly W101 selling badly was not only because its on the Wii U, but the game has its own issues reviews were good but not great, weird controls, focus on the GamePad, horrid framerate, art direction was charming but not that appealing etc

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo have definitely advertised and promoted this game far more than Wonderful 101. IIRC, TW101 was never given a flashy debut in a conference or special direct (I think it got its own Direct, but back in 2013 I don't think those individual ones were as popular and viral as they are now).

By comparison Astral Chain debuted in a key slot during the February Direct and was heavily featured in Nintendo Treehouse this year. Plus of course, the key difference being that one game was on the Wii U, and the current one will be on the Switch. So I'm much more optimistic of Astral Chain's potential.

Also the action aesthetic of TW101 was I think a bit more niche (controlling 100 characters on screen) than a character-action game as AC is

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is better than when they only plan to make one and then the sequels are extremely forced (Matrix ...)

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck I guess! Personally I'm excited for it, and I think it will do well too. I bet they'll let least get to make one sequel. A third could be harder to reach though. More than anything I think the creators losing interest could be the biggest risk though.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think Nintendo have definitely advertised and promoted this game far more than Wonderful 101. IIRC, TW101 was never given a flashy debut in a conference or special direct (I think it got its own Direct, but back in 2013 I don't think those individual ones were as popular and viral as they are now).

By comparison Astral Chain debuted in a key slot during the February Direct and was heavily featured in Nintendo Treehouse this year. Plus of course, the key difference being that one game was on the Wii U, and the current one will be on the Switch. So I'm much more optimistic of Astral Chain's potential.

Also the action aesthetic of TW101 was I think a bit more niche (controlling 100 characters on screen) than a character-action game as AC is
Plus RPG elements as dressing, customizable characters and more 'mature' (but not Mature) tone, Astral Chain is the best new PG ip Nintendo could get, now only wait and see how the fans respond

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That seems like a backwards way to do things but ok.

Oct 31, 2017
No, they co own the IP for Wonderful 101 and Astral Chain. Nintendo can't do anything without PlatinumGames approval (like, they can't do a sequel without telling PlatinumGames for instance), and same for PlatinumGames, can't do anything without Nintendo.

Source ?

PG has basically been a dev for hire until now, that's why they'd like to make some smaller, indie like games in the future... Same as CC2.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it took me like 40-50 hours to fully complete Nier and get my fill, but I'm not expecting Astral Chain to be nearly as long. I'm basing that on absolutely nothing to be honest, but off the top of my head I'm thinking Astral Chain won't be as lengthy. I figure it'll be pretty substantial at least. We'll have to wait and see on that.

I see.. if Astral Chain proves to be that long I'll just right in. I'm amazed no one asked the length of the game in a interview yet.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Source ?

PG has basically been a dev for hire until now, that's why they'd like to make some smaller, indie like games in the future... Same as CC2.

Platform: Wii U | Genre: Unite Action | Players: 1-5 | Release Date: September 15, 2013 (NA) | ESRB Rating: Teen | Publisher: Nintendo | Developer: PlatinumGames Inc. | ©2013 Nintendo / PlatinumGames Inc.

This is, afaik, a pretty common practice with Nintendo.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I don't get why people are upset or hesitant about this. It isn't like they're saying they're going to make Astral Chain incomplete, or that Astral Chain as a franchise will be episodic, just that it will be a series of its own. If it sold well, they'd make a sequel regardless anyway.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Will the female character be allowed to wear pants in the sequel? Alternatively, will the male character be allowed to wear tiny shorts? I'll take either one.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"We're going to make this a triology but not sure if we're gonna be making a triology"?

I just hope it's written as three stand alones within a bigger story because I've had way too many TV shows being canceled with open endings.
They can never be sure, that's always inherent risk, simply put, if nobody buys the game, they cant guarantee a sequel