• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 Days): Belittling concerns of sexism and backseat moderation
This kind of post reminds me of xenoblade 2 thread. It bodes well then :)

Wait, what? I remember those threads and no it didn't bode well at all. There was a mod I wanted to curse out. All those threads ended up being hijacked and made about Pyra's design instead of it kept on topic. I hope none of Astral Chain threads turns into Xenoblade 2 pre launch threads.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Might have been said already but sounds a loooooot like something else.

MV5BNmFlNTMxMDktOTU1Ni00MWVlLWFkZjAtMWEwMThjNGMxMTNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk5Nzg0MDE@._V1_UY268_CR9,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Edit: Personal take; I don't like that carrot on a stick dangling in front of a game coming out. Make it, if it's great and sells well make a sequel, this bullshit of buy it or no more is just annoying to me. Happened with Too Human, that Travis game on Switch and now this. I'm sure there's other examples, I just really despise that tactic.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Might have been said already but sounds a loooooot like something else.

MV5BNmFlNTMxMDktOTU1Ni00MWVlLWFkZjAtMWEwMThjNGMxMTNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk5Nzg0MDE@._V1_UY268_CR9,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Edit: Personal take; I don't like that carrot on a stick dangling in front of a game coming out. Make it, if it's great and sells well make a sequel, this bullshit of buy it or no more is just annoying to me. Happened with Too Human, that Travis game on Switch and now this. I'm sure there's other examples, I just really despise that tactic.
A case like No More Heroes, where a mainline game's fate supposedly rests on the sales of an off-beat spin-off, is one thing, but I don't get this logic in regards to direct sequels.

What exactly is being dangled here? Why would someone get mobilized by the promise of Astral Chain 2 if they don't already care about Astral Chain 1?

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? I remember those threads and no it didn't bode well at all. There was a mod I wanted to curse out. All those threads ended up being hijacked and made about Pyra's design instead of it kept on topic. I hope none of Astral Chain threads turns into Xenoblade 2 pre launch threads.
I think there saying it bodes well because despite all those complaints Xenoblade 2 still sold well.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

No, I meant regarding the success of the game.
If it goes out like for xc2, the threads will be awful indeed. But I don't think it will go that far (unless they reveal a new character with mega breasts and bikini armor, which could maybe happen lol)

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds overly ambitious for a title that doesn't scream mass appeal, but as a huge fan of Platinum and their action games I obviously want this.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
So, this is gonna be one game, right?

Always not a fan of companies announcing series of games. Are y'all so sure it can be made?

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there saying it bodes well because despite all those complaints Xenoblade 2 still sold well.
If it goes out like for xc2, the threads will be awful indeed. But I don't think it will go that far (unless they reveal a new character with mega breasts and bikini armor, which could maybe happen lol)

Oh! Lol.. I struggle to read between the lines in online posts. My bad!

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
A case like No More Heroes, where a mainline game's fate supposedly rests on the sales of an off-beat spin-off, is one thing, but I don't get this logic in regards to direct sequels.

What exactly is being dangled here? Why would someone get mobilized by the promise of Astral Chain 2 if they don't already care about Astral Chain 1?

It's not being mobilized. I get what you're saying, but on the other hand, just don't say anything, let the game come out and speak for itself. If it sells well enough for a sequel then announce a sequel. Why say it's a trilogy but it needs to sell well. Again, my personal take, I just don't like that.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
If you're not asking for the main dude to wear a JoJo style crop top, you need to reevaluate your life choices.
One step at a time!

This kind of post reminds me of xenoblade 2 thread. It bodes well then :)
I'm not even asking for the game to do poorly, but I would like to see sexualized designs distributed evenly across female and male characters. It sucks to be excited for some aspects of a game but then be reminded again that creators see your gender as primarily sexual when compared to men. If you think simply reading threads about it is awful, try being a woman who enjoys the mechanics and gameplay of games that mostly hyper-sexualize us. That's not exactly fun.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
LikelyGiantAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif

That made me think that I didn't show the pictures from the japanese website screenshot of the cast.

detail_img_slide02.jpg
detail_img_slide01.jpg

detail_img_slide01.jpg

detail_img_slide02.jpg

detail_img_slide01.jpg

detail_img_slide01.jpg

detail_img_slide01.jpg

detail_img_slide02.jpg

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love more Astral Chain, but this worries me. I hope this isn't another Vanquish...

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Only this forum would get mad over a dev saying they have a trilogy's worth of ideas for this franchise if it sells well.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I continue to love the look of this game, even if I think the character models themselves look a bit rough.

I discovered the Bayonetta series earlier this year, so am excited to try out anything Platinum release.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Yeah, don't plan trilogies before the first game even is released. Always seems super dumb.
You have no idea how the creative process works...you ALWAYS have ideas and features that you had to cut from current release that you might want to see come to fruition in a sequel...

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
This is actually pretty normal in the creative sense. Doesn't mean the game won't work as a stand alone.

It happens a lot more than you think

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
I'm rooting for it. Nintendo have the Wii U practically 0 new IP. I'm happy to support something new, especially when it looks like a great game.

I'd like to see them branch out with more western devs too though.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can we change the title please??? It's not being made AS a trilogy but have the POTENTIAL to be. I don't want gamers thinking it's the first part and wont buy it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Is it ever a good idea to announce plans for sequels and trilogies before the first game/movie/etc. is even out?

Apr 21, 2018
Platinum committed the horrible and unethical sin of saying that they'll make more games in the series if the first sells well. It's outrageous and a disgusting practice smh

I really don't think developers/publishers realistically expect these statements to generate real sales. I doubt this type of thing even results in 2,500 extra copies sold. Only the nerdiest of fans will ever hear about such statements (us) and even then, we are smart enough to only buy it if we genuinely want it. Nobody is buying Astral Chain, who otherwise wouldn't buy it, for the potential of a sequel.

More than likely it was some off-the-cuff remark from an interview that has now become a headline.

But with that said, I'm pretty damn pumped for Astral Chain. If it reviews well (85+ MC) I can see it selling fairly well and getting a sequel in the next decade. I never expected Bayonetta to be a trilogy and here we are.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
It just makes no sense to go on announcing a trilogy before the game is even out. There are plenty of developers who create a first time IP and don't announce that they are thinking of making a sequel or a trilogy of games before the release. This seems to me like a way to get fans to market this game on their behalf and get those pre-order numbers up.

Not to mention the rumors of how Platinum took Microsoft's Scalebound money to work on other games it's just hard to trust them.
So unsubstantiated rumors make it hard to trust Platinum? Were you even planning on buying the game or are you just here to concern troll?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks awesome but I wish Japan was a little better at identifying and removing the parts of their culture that are a little more jarring over here. Was listening to NVC and remember someone saying it was a little more tropy (hopefully not in a perverted sense) and for as indoctrinated to all anime as I am, most arent so makes me curious how thisll do
Western shows are filled with tropes and you probably would be ignorant to them if people dont point them out, you notice japanese tropes more since it comes from somewhere that's not the norm where you live