• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The police system in the US is extremely broken and makes it incredibly difficult for good cops to truly find success. But even then, I'd hesitate to label all cops as "bad". I"d rather we spend our energy working together to fix the problem. Which I'll admit is extremely difficult in this country, due to how we've treated minorities in the past and present.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Please good police man, will thou ever cease your unvirtuous murder of unarmed minorities?

Just lick that police boot, that thin blue line am i right bro? I'm sure politely asking police to stop will surely stop them from shooting unarmed minorities.

Anways, ACAB doesn't actually mean all police individually are automatically scum, or you can't enjoy media that depicts police (i'm really looking foward to this game actually) Just that even if you are "One of the good ones" who actually want to do the right thing, you still are part of a system massively slanted against the poor and marginalized and no amount of individual niceness will ever solve that. Its about recognizingthat.

Back on topic: Can't wait!

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does hating all cops accomplish? How does it improve race relations between police and minorities? How does it tone down violence or make anyone safer? How does it look in any way reasonable?

Public safety millages pass by overwhelming support in most communities because at the end of the day, people may have their issues with cops, but they don't want to live in a world without them.

There are better ways to go about this dialogue than by saying "All cops are evil." You know that's not in any way true.
Do you think you telling me not to hate a system that justifies and endorses the murder of my people is helping? Do you think telling me that my anger isn't justified is improving race relations?

People like you who tone police minorities, and blame us for being angry are the fucking worst. The current system is a failure, there are no good cops because there aren't any cops calling out this shit. You're more worried about people shit talking cops than all the brutality cops cause

I pre ordered Astral Chain today cause it looks cool, but miss me with this cop defense force

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think you telling me not to hate a system that justifies and endorses the murder of my people is helping? Do you think telling me that my anger isn't justified is improving race relations?

People like you who tone police minorities, and blame us for being angry are the fucking worst. The current system is a failure, there are no good cops because there aren't any coos calling out this shit.

I pre ordered Astral Chain cause it looks cool
I'm 100% with you that the system is flawed and disproportionately hurts people of color. But that doesn't mean that everyone working in law enforcement is someone who will kill you or profile you or treat you differently from another person because of the pigmentation of your skin. I think there's a danger, both for police and minorities, when the rhetoric becomes "all police are bastards," because it predisposes people to automatically take a hostile stance towards every officer. I think it also unfairly loses sight of the fact that there are many cops who will do their jobs and, y'know, protect you (yes, you) regardless of who you are.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100% with you that the system is flawed and disproportionately hurts people of color. But that doesn't mean that everyone working in law enforcement is someone who will kill you or profile you or treat you differently from another person because of the pigmentation of your skin.
The ones who don't do those thing just sit behind and defend the cops that do. What a bunch of great guys.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The ones who don't do those thing just sit behind and defend the cops that do. What a bunch of great guys.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. I, too, would like to see more cops talk about this issue. If that's your concern, then I think that's fair to be disappointed. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts sometime (here or in a PM) on what you think they could do to improve things. I know at least in the departments I've covered that they have internal talks about this stuff.

Terra

May 15, 2019
I'm 100% with you that the system is flawed and disproportionately hurts people of color. But that doesn't mean that everyone working in law enforcement is someone who will kill you or profile you or treat you differently from another person because of the pigmentation of your skin. I think there's a danger, both for police and minorities, when the rhetoric becomes "all police are bastards," because it predisposes people to automatically take a hostile stance towards every officer.

You know, i feel like "Don't be hostile towards ALL polices officers" part of your statement kinda clashes with the "Well only SOME cops will kill you or treat you like garbage" part of that statement.

Like its easy for you or I to say treat all cops with respect when there is like a sub 1% chance you'll ever be actually seriously hassled by the police ( I'm gonna make a very educated guess that you are perhaps of a lighter complexion).

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
You know, i feel like "Don't be hostile towards ALL polices officers" part of your statement kinda clashes with the "Well only SOME cops will kill you or treat you like garbage" part of that statement.

Like its easy for you or I to say treat all cops with respect when there is like a sub 1% chance you'll ever be actually seriously hassled by the police ( I'm gonna make a very educated guess that you are perhaps of a lighter complexion).
I'm not sure I understand the contradiction you perceive. I'm saying that the police profession encompasses a range of people, so while I understand being guarded when you don't know a cop, it might be unfair to automatically malign each individual officer.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, just saw the staff note asking us to stay on topic. Didn't realize this had already been discussed (no mention in the title or OP), so I apologize. Carry on.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Please, back on topic.
I understand the hate despite I'm not US citizen. My homeland hates the military because they coup d'etat every 4-6 years. But it does not prevent us to enjoy play game like COD, BF or anything relating to them.

Discussion guidelines

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
This Astral Chain thread keeps going way off the rails and isn't even remotely about Astral Chain anymore. Let's get back on track. To prevent this from happening yet again, please observe the following guidelines:

1. You can talk about the theme of policing in Astral Chain and, if you wish, criticize it constructively.
2. You cannot derail the thread into a general debate about policing. Discussion must be relevant to the topic.
3. To avoid derailment, do not make inflammatory or hyperbolical generalizations about all police. Do not insult your fellow members even if you disagree with them.

From this point on, these guidelines will be enforced as strictly as necessary to keep the thread on track.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
You won't get grade unless you play higher than casual.
Unchained = Auto-mode
38RBKmK.jpg

568rJF3.jpg

Cfqqryi.jpg

VAYdt5A.jpg

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Wish this and Control weren't coming out so close together but I'm sure I'll get both. Handheld looks sweet but I'll probably just do tv mode with a pro controller.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
After watching all the previews im even more excited, the game looks insane. The UI is magnificent, the music is great, everything oozes charisma. I really hope it has an AWESOME ending for the story that makes the game legendary like W101 had.

Please, back on topic.
I understand the hate despite I'm not US citizen. My homeland hates the military because they coup d'etat every 4-6 years. But it does not prevent us to enjoy play game like COD, BF or anything relating to them.

I dont, its just more america centralism that populates this forum, we also have jobs here were a big majority of people do shit that makes them go to prison, I still undertand those jobs are completely diferent in other countries because i inform myself, and its not the problem of the job itself, that was made to actually help, but the people that have taken control of it sadly (and the best way to go is to try to take out this people from there, not hate the concept of the job itself). The game isnt even about american cops but japanese like cops that rarely use a gun, so I dont even know why this fucking derailment happened in the first place.
Not going to continue with this becuase mods already said this thread shouldnt be derailed more, but thats basically my stance of how this forum goes a lot of times.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any male clothes shown yet that show off skin? Im sick and tired of girls being the only ones with thigh windows

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Threads about this game are getting larger closer we get to release, glad to see that

There's been more previews that the OP needs to add

Oct 25, 2017
I come back to this thread and that derail shit keeps happening? It's like some of you just ignore these staff posts.

UI's pretty good.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I dont, its just more america centralism that populates this forum, we also have jobs here were a big majority of people do shit that makes them go to prison, I still undertand those jobs are completely diferent in other countries because i inform myself, and its not the problem of the job itself, that was made to actually help, but the people that have taken control of it sadly (and the best way to go is to try to take out this people from there, not hate the concept of the job itself). The game isnt even about american cops but japanese like cops that rarely use a gun, so I dont even know why this fucking derailment happened in the first place.
Not going to continue with this becuase mods already said this thread shouldnt be derailed more, but thats basically my stance of how this forum goes a lot of times.

I don't think any game is lesser for being conscious of its themes, settings, politics, etc. and how those are perceived around the world, especially when those games are products being sold in worldwide. I'll never understand people choosing to be annoyed rather than compassionate over plights of those in other countries particularly in regard to how that might shape games I play for the better. A cyberpunk-themed game with a non-critical view of law enforcement or corporations would be a missed opportunity to me. If someone else has reservations with playing as police because of their personal experiences, the devs addressing their concerns would only make for a more interesting game.

Everything I've seen about AC looks and sound fantastic, and I've heard from GameExplain previews there might be question as to whether the player's doing the right thing in the story. That's the one aspect I'm worried about (aside from resolution in handheld mode) and I'm hoping for the best. Even if Platinum's officers are idealised, optimistic portrayals of law enforcement, that doesn't preclude a story that addresses overreach, brutality, and corruption in law enforcement regardless of the game's focus.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone of UK-era help me find a good preorder price for this game?

Also been looking for a pro controller for a decent price but it's always so damn expensive.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the fact that the Legion in the intro being enslaved and trying to attack that dude looking in through a window is shot like Eva-00 going berserk and attacking Gendo hints toward some moral ambiguity later on.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the fact that the Legion in the intro being enslaved and trying to attack that dude looking in through a window is shot like Eva-00 going berserk and attacking Gendo hints toward some moral ambiguity later on.

That's what i'm hoping for considering he cyberpunk setting and the way the legion are used like weapons. I wouldn't mind throwing trash in bins while wearing a dog costume being the most morally ambiguous thing in the game, but I would prefer some wrinkles in the plot.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
They seem to be putting so much detail in this game, it's great. Personally I can't wait to go in on customizing my character!

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I think as the game draws closer to release, I'm going to have to force myself on a media blackout in hope of not having the story spoiled for me.

The Wonderful 101 being a good example why I'm glad I finished it before heading back into the forums.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Eurgh that song is awful but goes well with the rubbish name I suppose.

Will wait for reviews on this one, doesn't look all that great and the control system looks janky.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A cyberpunk-themed game with a non-critical view of law enforcement or corporations would be a missed opportunity to me.

This is basically where I'm at. I'm a huge fan of cyberpunk but this viewpoint feels like it goes against the genre. I'm not saying every game where you play as a cop has to be an epic ACAB takedown - I love Resident Evil 2 - but in a genre like cyberpunk where there is an inherent mistrust of authority, I would have liked a more nuanced story. For all I know the story does feature or talk about corruption in the police force, and if it does I might check it out.

That said I'm not too hot on the game's visual style, it feels cluttered, but an action game with Stands could always be fun. I'm waiting for general reactions about the plot before going in on it.

(Also, police corruption isn't just an American thing... cyberpunk anime like Akira shows plenty of critique of law enforcement.)